PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the highlights from last night. Yet again, all three goals

Peter
01-31-2018, 04:14 PM
Come directly from our possession in our own half. Idiotic.

At some point we are going to have to acknowledge that Xhaka is ****ing useless and move on. I know he cost a lot of money but god almighty he really is ****. :(

PSRB
01-31-2018, 04:15 PM

At some point we are going to have to acknowledge that Xhaka is ****ing useless and move on. I know he cost a lot of money but god almighty he really is ****. :(

He's not ****, just lazier than me

Peter
01-31-2018, 04:17 PM
He's not ****, just lazier than me

Either way, he shouldn't be anywhere near that team at the moment. He doesnt seem to have a clue what he is doing.

Luis Anaconda
01-31-2018, 05:09 PM
Either way, he shouldn't be anywhere near that team at the moment. He doesnt seem to have a clue what he is doing.

I've backed him previously and still think there is a genuinely talented player in there, but I can't argue with you on that. Not even fouling people anymore

Monty92
01-31-2018, 05:20 PM

Not quite true. He has isolated moments where he doesn't track his man, but he's generally positionally sound and his numbers are largely excellent. The problem is the optics when he doesn't track his man are absolutely terrible and are inevitably picked up on by simple chaps like yourself.

Peter
01-31-2018, 06:35 PM
I've backed him previously and still think there is a genuinely talented player in there, but I can't argue with you on that. Not even fouling people anymore

Lets hope he is just horribly low on confidence and is just hiding at the moment (although that itself is a bad trait). We just cant afford a passenger in that part of the pitch.

It still dumbfounds me how slack those midfielders are in covering each other's positions. Its one of the most crucial parts of the job.

Peter
01-31-2018, 06:36 PM
Not quite true. He has isolated moments where he doesn't track his man, but he's generally positionally sound and his numbers are largely excellent. The problem is the optics when he doesn't track his man are absolutely terrible and are inevitably picked up on by simple chaps like yourself.

No, I don't think you are right at all.

devongunner
01-31-2018, 07:01 PM
Failed with a late bid for Jonny Evans apparently

redgunamo
01-31-2018, 07:14 PM
Lets hope he is just horribly low on confidence and is just hiding at the moment (although that itself is a bad trait). We just cant afford a passenger in that part of the pitch.

It still dumbfounds me how slack those midfielders are in covering each other's positions. Its one of the most crucial parts of the job.

Right. But even more important than crucial, I'd say; it is the job.

Peter
01-31-2018, 07:15 PM
Right. But even more important than crucial, I'd say; it is the job.

Not at Arsenal, unfortunately.

redgunamo
01-31-2018, 07:28 PM
Not at Arsenal, unfortunately.

It's the difference between a lure courser and a live courser; whilst both can run fast, only one of them can actually hunt.

Not very good.

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2018, 10:16 AM

I don't think hiding is quite fair - even after he makes a ricket with a risky pass he never stops demanding the ball (I know you may mean defensively but it doesn't seem a trait of his)

Peter
02-01-2018, 11:35 AM
I don't think hiding is quite fair - even after he makes a ricket with a risky pass he never stops demanding the ball (I know you may mean defensively but it doesn't seem a trait of his)

Fair enough. I mean, I am not saying he is the only problem- far from it. In terms of possession we really, really miss Cazorla.

Billy Goat Sverige
02-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Fair enough. I mean, I am not saying he is the only problem- far from it. In terms of possession we really, really miss Cazorla.

I’m afraid the only way it will resolve itself is by Wenger dropping one of Xhaka or Ramsey. Wilshere is a must, he’s the only one in the midfield who can receive the ball under pressure or wants the ball under pressure. He gives the midfield needed balance. We’re going to have to keep Elneny in there and play Wilshere with one of the other two.

This is all dependent on what formation Wenger adopts. I think he will keep 4 at the back. If he keeps the 4-3-3 of the last few games it should be Elneny, Wilshere and one other. If he goes back to the old 4-2-3-1 I have no idea who should play with Wilshere. The wildcard would be a diamond in which case I’d play Elneny, Wilshere, Mkhitaryan and Özil.

Peter
02-01-2018, 11:46 AM
I’m afraid the only way it will resolve itself is by Wenger dropping one of Xhaka or Ramsey. Wilshere is a must, he’s the only one in the midfield who can receive the ball under pressure or wants the ball under pressure. He gives the midfield needed balance. We’re going to have to keep Elneny in there and play Wilshere with one of the other two.

This is all dependent on what formation Wenger adopts. I think he will keep 4 at the back. If he keeps the 4-3-3 of the last few games it should be Elneny, Wilshere and one other. If he goes back to the old 4-2-3-1 I have no idea who should play with Wilshere. The wildcard would be a diamond in which case I’d play Elneny, Wilshere, Mkhitaryan and Özil.

At present., I think Elneny is the only viable option in there, alongside Jack. He does a least hold his position to some extent.

We just cant afford to have Ramsey in that midfield. He doesn't want the ball apart from in the areas of the pitch where we want Ozil to have it. If he has to play it has to be further forward.

Our current midfield options are the worst I can remember us having in years.

IUFG
02-01-2018, 11:53 AM

the midfield in (around) 1992-1993 was pretty poor, istr.

Apart from Limpar, of course. Another body shaving deviant :alexis:

SWv2
02-01-2018, 11:59 AM
At present., I think Elneny is the only viable option in there, alongside Jack. He does a least hold his position to some extent.

We just cant afford to have Ramsey in that midfield. He doesn't want the ball apart from in the areas of the pitch where we want Ozil to have it. If he has to play it has to be further forward.

As stand alone sentences go this is a nonsense and simply underlines your lack of appreciation of the role.

Both Ramsey and Xhaka are very good footballers, Wilshere is also a very obvious talent and to be fair to the African lad Elneny performs well within a more limited role of doing the basic and simple things and doing them well (itself a very basic job description for a top level midfielder).

Our issue is balance, or the creation of an effective working midfield partnership. Actually fúck the creation of it we need to identify it before we can create it.

Wenger appears to have struggled with this very basic need for years. Arguably his most effective of Cazorla and Coquelin he stumbled over by accident as opposed to his footballing knowledge.

The world appears to have decided this pairing to be Wilshere + 1 though I am unsure if AW feels this way given the manner in which he allowed the lad to fúck off for an entire season as opposed to keeping him and forcing him to try and fight his way into selection.

Bergkamp Was Best
02-01-2018, 12:24 PM

And he's slow, very slow. Play him with the very average and very sideways Elneny and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

redgunamo
02-01-2018, 12:36 PM
As stand alone sentences go this is a nonsense and simply underlines your lack of appreciation of the role.

Both Ramsey and Xhaka are very good footballers, Wilshere is also a very obvious talent and to be fair to the African lad Elneny performs well within a more limited role of doing the basic and simple things and doing them well (itself a very basic job description for a top level midfielder).

Our issue is balance, or the creation of an effective working midfield partnership. Actually fúck the creation of it we need to identify it before we can create it.

Wenger appears to have struggled with this very basic need for years. Arguably his most effective of Cazorla and Coquelin he stumbled over by accident as opposed to his footballing knowledge.

The world appears to have decided this pairing to be Wilshere + 1 though I am unsure if AW feels this way given the manner in which he allowed the lad to fúck off for an entire season as opposed to keeping him and forcing him to try and fight his way into selection.

I think the point is, if your forwards don't score enough goals, it actually makes no difference who plays in the middle of the park. Or indeed anywhere else :-p

Bergkamp Was Best
02-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Our midfield has NO PACE. For £35 million Xhaka is an absolute bust. Elneny is average. Hopefully the new German scout will do a better job of recognising talent than the previous numpty.

Our standards as fans has slipped considerably if we're making statements like "Xhaka is a very good footballer" because game after game I really don't see him as that at all.

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Our midfield has NO PACE. For £35 million Xhaka is an absolute bust. Elneny is average. Hopefully the new German scout will do a better job of recognising talent than the previous numpty.

Our standards as fans has slipped considerably if we're making statements like "Xhaka is a very good footballer" because game after game I really don't see him as that at all.
You should probably get another hobby tbh, he is a very good footballer

SWv2
02-01-2018, 12:40 PM
I think the point is, if your forwards don't score enough goals, it actually makes no difference who plays in the middle of the park. Or indeed anywhere else :-p

Sometimes you make me very angry.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-01-2018, 12:44 PM
Service from the midfield might help

IUFG
02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Service from the midfield might help

talking of which, have The Arsenal actually announced that Ozil has signed a new contract?

redgunamo
02-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Sometimes you make me very angry.

Wenger knows, SW. Wenger knows.

In fairness, I couldn't write that line with a straight face.

SWv2
02-01-2018, 12:47 PM
talking of which, have The Arsenal actually announced that Ozil has signed a new contract?

:shakehead:

I did notice this yesterday as the Guardian quickly changed their story from signed to "expected to be signed in days".

Think the general consensus is that Ornstein just puts his name to official club memos so done but not done, as such.

IUFG
02-01-2018, 12:49 PM
:shakehead:

I did notice this yesterday as the Guardian quickly changed their story from signed to "expected to be signed in days".

Think the general consensus is that Ornstein just puts his name to official club memos so done but not done, as such.

he's toying with us :cry:

https://twitter.com/MesutOzil1088/status/958753705775583233

Viva Prat Vegas
02-01-2018, 12:52 PM
I see Debuchy has left us
Gone to St Etienne

Good luck Mattieu :thumbup:

SWv2
02-01-2018, 12:57 PM
I see Debuchy has left us
Gone to St Etienne

Good luck Mattieu :thumbup:

Sarah, so lovely.

:love:

Bergkamp Was Best
02-01-2018, 01:50 PM
You should probably get another hobby tbh, he is a very good footballer

I just say what I see LA, it's evident that Jack Wilshere has more talent than Xhaka and Elneny put together.

Peter
02-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Yes, I have noted your constant repetition of this particular slight. Funny though... you tell me I know nothing and then proceed to write three paragraphs of monotonous **** that says absolutely nothing and displays no understanding.

In short, you are a bluffer.

Peter
02-01-2018, 05:38 PM
I just say what I see LA, it's evident that Jack Wilshere has more talent than Xhaka and Elneny put together.

He may be a very good footballer but he is a ****ing useless midfielder. Same goes for Ramsey. Absolute liabilities the pair of them.

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2018, 06:35 PM

Of course my reply was a touch intemperate and your opinion is entirely valid, b. I just really really wanted Xhaka to succeed

taxman10
02-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Jack is negotiating his new contract. Anyone want to guess how many shirts jack sells via arsenal?

Peter
02-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Of course my reply was a touch intemperate and your opinion is entirely valid, b. I just really really wanted Xhaka to succeed

Wanted? Are you giving up?

I think we all want him to succeed. He might just be another player who needs more direction from a coach.

Luis Anaconda
02-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Wanted? Are you giving up?

I think we all want him to succeed. He might just be another player who needs more direction from a coach.
Well not entirely

SWv2
02-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Yes, I have noted your constant repetition of this particular slight. Funny though... you tell me I know nothing and then proceed to write three paragraphs of monotonous **** that says absolutely nothing and displays no understanding.

In short, you are a bluffer.

How fúcking rude.

Peter
02-02-2018, 11:03 AM
How fúcking rude.

I do apologise.

Peter
02-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Well not entirely

I really do think he needs a break for a little bit. Give elneny a run in the side.

The next month is going to be interesting as we see how Wenger plans to use his new signings. Those two with Ozil and Lacazette leaves us a little lightweight behind them.

Ash
02-02-2018, 11:09 AM
I do apologise.

Quite right too. Daring to question the man's analytical wisdom. How many games have you managed in the Dublin 16 Knocklyon U-10 league eh?

IUFG
02-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Those two with Ozil and Lacazette leaves us a little lightweight behind them.

No change, p. We have been, and still are, lightweight.

Ash
02-02-2018, 11:12 AM
I really do think he needs a break for a little bit. Give elneny a run in the side.

I agree. Fùck the Albanian out the window for a while and give the Egyptian a run there.

Peter
02-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Quite right too. Daring to question the man's analytical wisdom. How many games have you managed in the Dublin 16 Knocklyon U-10 league eh?

I managed a sunday league side (or 'pub') for two years and dragged them up to mid table with a change of tactics and formation.

I dont think I need to say anymore, do I? :)

SWv2
02-02-2018, 11:20 AM

Thank you A.

I am glad my efforts* are being recognised.

*Season1 2016 - P16 W16 D0 L0

I told the lads about the invincibles before the last game, the only one who knew what I was talking about was my own.

:cry:

Peter
02-02-2018, 11:20 AM
No change, p. We have been, and still are, lightweight.

Could be balanced by a couple of cloggers in midfield- if we had any....

SWv2
02-02-2018, 11:21 AM
I agree. Fùck the Albanian out the window for a while and give the Egyptian a run there.

I thought ACLF was quite good this morning.

SWv2
02-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Could be balanced by a couple of cloggers in midfield- if we had any....

We don’t need cloggers P, we need intelligence.

Sorry.

:-(

Ash
02-02-2018, 11:25 AM
I thought ACLF was quite good this morning.

I'll have a look. I read him somewhat intermittently these days, as he chews himself up with negativity. The bloke who he sometimes sub-lets the friday column to is a breath of fresh air, though.

SWv2
02-02-2018, 11:31 AM
I'll have a look. I read him somewhat intermittently these days, as he chews himself up with negativity. The bloke who he sometimes sub-lets the friday column to is a breath of fresh air, though.

I am not an everyday reader but he comes across as frustrated and pished off at the groundhog day events we all see, which you know is quite understandable.

As a fan's blog (or whatever) I am happier to read that as I can associate with it.

redgunamo
02-02-2018, 11:32 AM

The next month is going to be interesting as we see how Wenger plans to use his new signings. Those two with Ozil and Lacazette leaves us a little lightweight behind them.

No worries. If they all hit it off we'll smash all but the best teams and our midfield, not to mention our backs, will be hailed as the best in the division. We'll still likely lose meekly at the big clubs, but that's alright as there's not too many points at stake there anyway; more important to beat everyone else.

Peter
02-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Sorry.

Either way we are ****ed.

redgunamo
02-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I am not an everyday reader but he comes across as frustrated and pished off at the groundhog day events we all see, which you know is quite understandable.

As a fan's blog (or whatever) I am happier to read that as I can associate with it.

It's Groundhog Day today, as it happens.

Peter
02-02-2018, 11:34 AM
No worries. If they all hit it off we'll smash all but the best teams and our midfield, not to mention our backs, will be hailed as the best in the division. We'll still likely lose meekly at the big clubs, but that's alright as there's not too many points at stake there anyway; more important to beat everyone else.

For now, that would do.

IUFG
02-02-2018, 11:35 AM

Sorry.

no intelligent bloke is going to stick his head in where it might get hurt, sw.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/29/article-0-00DA7B8F00000578-603_964x681.jpg

redgunamo
02-02-2018, 11:38 AM
For now, that would do.

Right. But it should always do. In the odd season, you can get a win at Old Trafford or Anfield and make the most of it and go on to win the league, but it shouldn't be a requirement. We are not greedy.

redgunamo
02-02-2018, 11:39 AM
As if cloggers lack intelligence :rolleyes:

Sorry.