PDA

View Full Version : When is the pharmaceutical industry going to pull its finger out and find a cure for

Ash
01-25-2018, 11:15 AM
the common cold?

It is surely the single biggest overall cause of illness, discomfort and loss of working days around, and what are they doing about it? Eh? Nothing, as far as I can see. Have a lemsip. And a box of tissues a day.

It's almost as if the industry is set up to manage ailments rather than actually cure them. :sherlock:

Yes, I know they mutate and shít but still, is the humble virus really cleverer than our finest medical researchers? Sort it aaaahht!!

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2018, 12:09 PM
the common cold?

It is surely the single biggest overall cause of illness, discomfort and loss of working days around, and what are they doing about it? Eh? Nothing, as far as I can see. Have a lemsip. And a box of tissues a day.

It's almost as if the industry is set up to manage ailments rather than actually cure them. :sherlock:

Yes, I know they mutate and shít but still, is the humble virus really cleverer than our finest medical researchers? Sort it aaaahht!!

I believe manthe****up has been on the market for years

Ash
01-25-2018, 12:14 PM
I believe manthe****up has been on the market for years

Every time I go into work with heavy symptoms, which is my usual approach, I get told off and sent home lest I infect everybody else.

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2018, 12:24 PM
Every time I go into work with heavy symptoms, which is my usual approach, I get told off and sent home lest I infect everybody else.

You'd love it here - people get a doctor's note for a week off if they have a sniffle on a Friday

Pat Vegas
01-25-2018, 12:26 PM
I am waiting for a cure for my ear problem I don't seem to be getting better.
I don't trust the doctors anymore if they had given me the antibiotics the first time I went I wouldn't have had to go to hospital with blood coming out of my ears :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
01-25-2018, 12:31 PM
On the bright side my bleeding ear is a slash guitar rock and roll sort of ailment
:cloud9:

Rich
01-25-2018, 12:46 PM

Sent home - Jesus wept. Surely you just tell them to mind their own business and you'll carry on with your work.

Ash
01-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Sent home - Jesus wept. Surely you just tell them to mind their own business and you'll carry on with your work.

Yes, because that's exactly how employees talk to CEOs. :r0lleyes:

Prick.

Pat Vegas
01-25-2018, 12:50 PM

Best way I felt guilty being off last week. I never call in sick but had no choice.
annoyingly I had to call in each day to say I am not coming in.
hello still sick maybe tomorrow bye.

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Yes, because that's exactly how employees talk to CEOs. :r0lleyes:

Prick.

Rich works for the NHS - efffectively his CEO is Jeremy Hunt. He should talk to him like that

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Best way I felt guilty being off last week. I never call in sick but had no choice.
annoyingly I had to call in each day to say I am not coming in.
hello still sick maybe tomorrow bye.
You should never feel guilty about phoning in sick when you are, p

Rich
01-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Rich works for the NHS - efffectively his CEO is Jeremy Hunt. He should talk to him like that

I'm in Private enterprise now, LA.

I've never had a day sick in my life, mind you.

SWv2
01-25-2018, 12:57 PM
the common cold?

It's a virus and cannot be cured, merely suppressed.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Thank you Dick

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2018, 01:02 PM
I'm in Private enterprise now, LA.

I've never had a day sick in my life, mind you.

My apologies, r. Still just wanted to call Hunt a **** tbf. I haven't missed a day for illness in almost two years. And even then with a knee swollen to the size of a basketball, I did some work from home, but I appreciate if some people are sniffing/coughing all the time, you get well quicker if you take a day to just chill

Tony C
01-25-2018, 01:29 PM
My job in Basel is with Novartis.

Pretty awesome site...it’s like a small city. Just one spectacular office block after another. On my last visit I discovered they also have their own hospital too.

You see stuff like that all the time but not for just 1 company.

Found the Swiss to be a most welcoming bunch. A splendid company to work for.

Oh and that thing about them and watches...to put into some context...my UBER driver was sporting a Rolex GMT Pan Am!!

Burney
01-25-2018, 01:36 PM
My job in Basel is with Novartis.

Pretty awesome site...it’s like a small city. Just one spectacular office block after another. On my last visit I discovered they also have their own hospital too.

You see stuff like that all the time but not for just 1 company.

Found the Swiss to be a most welcoming bunch. A splendid company to work for.

Oh and that thing about them and watches...to put into some context...my UBER driver was sporting a Rolex GMT Pan Am!!

Lol! My sister worked there in quite a senior role up until a year or so ago. She said the worst days were when they were serving Raclette in the canteen as the whole office would stink of it all day. She came out of the experience with a powerful hatred of the Swiss.

If you want to save yourself a few bob, live over the border in Alsace rather than in Basel proper. Swiss wages/French prices = *******FREE MONEY!!!*******$

Mind you, that would make you and redgunamo the only two brothers in rural Alsace.

Ash
01-25-2018, 01:42 PM
It's a virus and cannot be cured, merely suppressed.

This sounds like defeatist talk to me. Have we not been to the moon? Can we not find a way to vanquish a virus?

SWv2
01-25-2018, 01:57 PM
This sounds like defeatist talk to me. Have we not been to the moon? Can we not find a way to vanquish a virus?

Apparently not. 10 years now I have been bringing kids to doctors to be told "it's a virus, nothing we can do. That will be €60 please".

Sometimes the sum charged changes.

Manage the temperature and drink lots of fluids. :nod:

Ash
01-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Manage the temperature and drink lots of fluids. :nod:

:nod: I wrapped up warm, went to a football match and drank six pints last night. Feeling a lot better today.

Ash
01-25-2018, 02:02 PM
"it's a virus, nothing we can do. That will be €60 please".

Do you not have a National Health Service or equivalent in the Irish Free State there?

SWv2
01-25-2018, 02:04 PM
:nod: I wrapped up warm, went to a football match and drank six pints last night. Feeling a lot better today.

Only down side being that 6 pints is roughly 12-14 units of alcohol so in one glory filled evening you used up your entire weekly allowance.

SWv2
01-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Do you not have a National Health Service or equivalent in the Irish Free State there?

No, we all pay for each visit to the doctor and/or hospital unless one is in possession of a medical card.

I then have private insurance for my family and I, subsidised through work, from which I can claim medical expenses at year end. I got about €230 back from them for approx. €400 spend just last week.

Finally then we can claim on prescription costs which are not covered by private insurance.

In summary, Free State my hole.

Burney
01-25-2018, 02:17 PM
No, we all pay for each visit to the doctor and/or hospital unless one is in possession of a medical card.

I then have private insurance for my family and I, subsidised through work, from which I can claim medical expenses at year end. I got about €230 back from them for approx. €400 spend just last week.

Finally then we can claim on prescription costs which are not covered by private insurance.

In summary, Free State my hole.

NOOOOOOO! But, but, but... I've been constantly told that the only alternative to an NHS-style completely-free-at-the-point-of-use system is a US-style system where everyone has to have exorbitantly-expensive insurance or they're left to die like dogs in the street. As I understand it from The Guardian, if you aren't rich and get ill in any country that doesn't have the glorious and holy NHS (ALL HAIL TO IT!) you will simply die.

You are peddling fake news with your talk of a rational and sensible healthcare system that requires some people to actually pay for stuff, but whose costs are offset by employer-funded insurance schemes. For shame!

Rich
01-25-2018, 02:26 PM
Only down side being that 6 pints is roughly 12-14 units of alcohol so in one glory filled evening you used up your entire weekly allowance.

Christ! What a chip pisser. That's Pokster's job.

Anyway, since when have you been concerned about weekly units.