PDA

View Full Version : I would dearly love someone to explain to me how a team as well-organised and

Burney
01-25-2018, 09:47 AM
defensively disciplined as we were for much of the game last night can also be capable on occasions of showing all the coherence and co-ordination of a group of kindergarten age children whose breaktime squash has been spiked with mescaline. Mystifying stuff.

Ash
01-25-2018, 09:51 AM
defensively disciplined as we were for much of the game last night can also be capable on occasions of showing all the coherence and co-ordination of a group of kindergarten age children whose breaktime squash has been spiked with mescaline. Mystifying stuff.

Maybe it was the motivation of going on to get a crack at winning another trophy at Spurs' ground.

Burney
01-25-2018, 09:54 AM
Maybe it was the motivation of going on to get a crack at winning another trophy at Spurs' ground.

I do find it hard to believe anyone can be that motivated by the Caramac Cup, but I suppose if there's a bonus in it for them. :shrug:

Pokster
01-25-2018, 09:55 AM
I do find it hard to believe anyone can be that motivated by the Caramac Cup, but I suppose if there's a bonus in it for them. :shrug:

Might be the only way we qualify for Europe next season :hide:

SWv2
01-25-2018, 10:00 AM

A lot of it comes down to the relatively common sense approach of footballers playing in their correct positions and in a tactical structure which suits their individual abilities.

Full backs being full backs, central defenders being shielded and aided by a midfield option who perhaps knows that is his primary role, midfield players whose qualities and attributes are perhaps more “offensive” focusing on same though also working very hard for the overall cause along with all others in the more forward positions.

Mustafi had one of his nights where he looked like a genuinely top class defender and again Wilshere showed he cannot be left out no matter how Wenger chooses to perm his midfield duo.

Chelsea were poor also I thought to be honest, when you see a superb footballer like Will.I.Am going off and being replaced by a fat, perhaps challenged Scouser then you know the stars are shining in your constellation.

And of course there was no Sanchez, remiss of me to not mention that. Can only imagine how fuming he is in his Manchester hotel this morning as he regrets the haste of his decision.

PSRB
01-25-2018, 10:01 AM
Might be the only way we qualify for Europe next season :hide:

Have we not already qualified for Europe by making the final?

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Have we not already qualified for Europe by making the final?

Nope - never been a place for runners-up - not even a place for FA Cup runners-up anymore hence Villa and Palace not in Europe in last three years)

Luis Anaconda
01-25-2018, 10:07 AM

#metoo :sherlock:

Burney
01-25-2018, 10:15 AM
A lot of it comes down to the relatively common sense approach of footballers playing in their correct positions and in a tactical structure which suits their individual abilities.

Full backs being full backs, central defenders being shielded and aided by a midfield option who perhaps knows that is his primary role, midfield players whose qualities and attributes are perhaps more “offensive” focusing on same though also working very hard for the overall cause along with all others in the more forward positions.

Mustafi had one of his nights where he looked like a genuinely top class defender and again Wilshere showed he cannot be left out no matter how Wenger chooses to perm his midfield duo.

Chelsea were poor also I thought to be honest, when you see a superb footballer like Will.I.Am going off and being replaced by a fat, perhaps challenged Scouser then you know the stars are shining in your constellation.

And of course there was no Sanchez, remiss of me to not mention that. Can only imagine how fuming he is in his Manchester hotel this morning as he regrets the haste of his decision.

Yes. I must admit that my spirits soared when I saw Willian limping off. Barkley is a huge lump of a thing, isn't he? I must admit my opinion of Wilshere improved immensely when he greeted his return from long-term injury with a distinctly robust challenge. :hehe:

Tony C
01-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Glad we won...that Hazard goal would’ve given me nightmares if we didn’t.

Cut us open so easily...koscielny took an age to turn towards Hazard once the pass fizzed in.

Ash
01-25-2018, 10:34 AM

I think what you are essentially saying here is

https://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/11tegen02.png?w=620

That Mo Lenny bloke we just signed as DM has started pretty well. Can slot into a back three as well if needed. wd Sven.

Burney
01-25-2018, 10:38 AM
I think what you are essentially saying here is

https://heblogswhenhewantsto.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/11tegen02.png?w=620

That Mo Lenny bloke we just signed as DM has started pretty well. Can slot into a back three as well if needed. wd Sven.

Yes. He was positively Gilberto-esque last night I thought.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Yeah. It felt real **** when Charlie scored twice so the Scousers lost when Rush scored.

And doing City over at the Spuds will feel **** too.

As my Latin teacher said when I once got a question right: We should be thankful for small mercies.

SWv2
01-25-2018, 10:41 AM
Yes. He was positively Gilberto-esque last night I thought.

Two games in a row to be fair, he was excellent on Saturday also.

Burney
01-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Yeah. It felt real **** when Charlie scored twice so the Scousers lost when Rush scored.

And doing City over at the Spuds will feel **** too.

As my Latin teacher said when I once got a question right: We should be thankful for small mercies.

When we beat Liverpool, we hadn't won a trophy of any sort since 1979 and hadn't won the league since 1971. In that context (and at that time, when the League Cup still sort of mattered) it felt like a big deal. I'd hope our sights are set a bit higher than that these days.

Burney
01-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Two games in a row to be fair, he was excellent on Saturday also.

He was doing that thing of just nicking the ball from people's feet :cloud9:

Rich
01-25-2018, 10:57 AM
He was doing that thing of just nicking the ball from people's feet :cloud9:

Agree. Though I do have some minor concerns about his personal hygiene. He looks a bit grubby. Perhaps it's his hair.

Burney
01-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Agree. Though I do have some minor concerns about his person hygiene. He looks a bit grubby. Perhaps it's his hair.

If he grew a big moustache, I reckon he could get work in Thin Lizzy tribute bands.

Ash
01-25-2018, 11:05 AM
When we beat Liverpool, we hadn't won a trophy of any sort since 1979 and hadn't won the league since 1971. In that context (and at that time, when the League Cup still sort of mattered) it felt like a big deal. I'd hope our sights are set a bit higher than that these days.

As in fifth place?

Burney
01-25-2018, 11:09 AM
As in fifth place?

No. As in we've won the proper cup three times in four seasons and should be aiming at Champions League qualification as a bare minimum. :shrug: That's our standard - not getting excited about the League Cup.

Ash
01-25-2018, 11:21 AM
No. As in we've won the proper cup three times in four seasons and should be aiming at Champions League qualification as a bare minimum. :shrug: That's our standard - not getting excited about the League Cup.

Thanks, Monty, but when one hasn't done well enough to afford caviar, one must visit the sausage shop. :shrug:

Ash
01-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Monty, but when one hasn't done well enough to afford caviar, one must visit the sausage shop. :shrug:

And it's a chance to stop Citeh winning the quadruple.

SWv2
01-25-2018, 11:56 AM

I would quite like that as it would take away from United's treble.

Lesser of two evils, as such.

*neither is evil

barrybueno
01-25-2018, 11:56 AM

Their ramshackle defence will get raped by the first decent team they meet in the European Cup Ash

And someone **** will knock them out of the FA Cup, you know, a Man Utd or Palace type...

Just the league and caravan cup double imo :hide:

SWv2
01-25-2018, 12:12 PM
Their ramshackle defence will get raped by the first decent team they meet in the European Cup Ash

And someone **** will knock them out of the FA Cup, you know, a Man Utd or Palace type...

Just the league and caravan cup double imo :hide:

Good man Barry.

:hehe:

Viva Prat Vegas
01-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Clearly still pissed