PDA

View Full Version : Monty's mum when she found out her grandson would be going to a CofE school

Monty92
01-18-2018, 11:50 AM

This is when I mourn the loss of Jorge to the Corbyn cult. He'd appreciate this gag more than anyone :-(

Burney
01-18-2018, 11:54 AM

This is when I mourn the loss of Jorge to the Corbyn cult. He'd appreciate this gag more than anyone :-(

Oh, dear. :-( Were there scenes?

But surely as he isn't actually Jewish it doesn't really matter? The time for upset was surely when she found out you'd impregnated a shiksa? :shrug:

Monty92
01-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Oh, dear. :-( Were there scenes?

But surely as he isn't actually Jewish it doesn't really matter? The time for upset was surely when she found out you'd impregnated a shiksa? :shrug:

She's had years to make her peace with that, whereas this is a fresh blow.

The sectarianism is never far from the surface.

Burney
01-18-2018, 12:04 PM
She's had years to make her peace with that, whereas this is a fresh blow.

The sectarianism is never far from the surface.

Wouldn't Jewish schools have a problem with him due to him not being properly Jewish, though?

Monty92
01-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Wouldn't Jewish schools have a problem with him due to him not being properly Jewish, though?

All faith schools have to allow a certain number of kids from other faiths (or no faith).

It works on a points system, based on how close to the school you live and your attendance levels at a respective place of worship.

SWv2
01-18-2018, 12:11 PM
All faith schools have to allow a certain number of kids from other faiths (or no faith).

It works on a points system, based on how close to the school you live and your attendance levels at a respective place of worship.

Surely not?

How the fúck can a person vouch for their attendance.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-18-2018, 12:11 PM

An 'ology and he says he failed

redgunamo
01-18-2018, 12:12 PM

Many of them aren't exclusive. In my own case, Carmel College was considered; for one thing, it was just up the road.

Monty92
01-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Surely not?

They get a letter from the Priest/Rabbi to show to the school.

No jokes.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Well done Monty for standing up to his arm waving, overly aghast Mom

Burney
01-18-2018, 12:15 PM

So did you actually try for the Jewish place and not get in or did you just get more points for the C of E place/it was closer, etc? Or did you actively decide against it?

Monty92
01-18-2018, 12:18 PM
So did you actually try for the Jewish place and not get in or did you just get more points for the C of E place/it was closer, etc? Or did you actively decide against it?

I would never send him to a Jewish school. Those truly are places of indoctrination.

Sending him to a CofE school still makes me do a bit of sick in my mouth, but at least it is all light touch and based almost entirely around Christian 'values' rather than any supernatural ****e.

Our decision was between the non-faith school round the corner and the CofE school, and the latter is demonstrably the better school :shrug:

PSRB
01-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Surely not?

Catholic schools are terrible for it, literally have to go and shake the priest's hand after every service to ensure he doesn't tell the school you're not worthy.

One of many reasons I wouldn't send my kids to a Catholic school, main one being I'm not Catholic

Viva Prat Vegas
01-18-2018, 12:23 PM
Non attendance of Church by my Ma and Pa stopped me getting Christened when small and wee

Burney
01-18-2018, 12:25 PM
I would never send him to a Jewish school. Those truly are places of indoctrination.

Sending him to a CofE school still makes me do a bit of sick in my mouth, but at least it is all light touch and based almost entirely around Christian 'values' rather than any supernatural ****e.

Our decision was between the non-faith school round the corner and the CofE school, and the latter is demonstrably the better school :shrug:

I have a major issue with all faith schools, tbh. Not because I am one of these tedious atheist types, but because I've always felt that their very existence is a tacit admission by the various religions that they are very much in the business of brainwashing children with their nonsense and I really don't believe that ought to be allowed.

Burney
01-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Non attendance of Church by my Ma and Pa stopped me getting Christened when small and wee

Never stopped me getting baptised, but as Monty Python put it:

:music:
I'm a Roman Catholic,
And have been since before I was born,
And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
They'll take you as soon as you're warm
:music:

Monty92
01-18-2018, 12:31 PM
I have a major issue with all faith schools, tbh. Not because I am one of these tedious atheist types, but because I've always felt that their very existence is a tacit admission by the various religions that they are very much in the business of brainwashing children with their nonsense and I really don't believe that ought to be allowed.

As I said, I think this is the case in Jewish faith schools (and certainly Islamic faith schools). But my impression having visited two CofE schools is that the religious aspects of the school are based almost entirely around values and culture. In fact, as the last school I toured, I saw more posters and literature promoting "British values" (a Michael Gove initiative) than anything explicitly religious.

I didn't go to a faith school but we still had prayer assemblies each morning :shrug:

PSRB
01-18-2018, 12:32 PM

:nod: :thumbup:

Burney
01-18-2018, 12:34 PM
As I said, I think this is the case in Jewish faith schools (and certainly Islamic faith schools). But my impression having visited two CofE schools is that the religious aspects of the school are based almost entirely around values and culture. In fact, as the last school I toured, I saw more posters and literature promoting "British values" (a Michael Gove initiative) than anything explicitly religious.

I didn't go to a faith school but we still had prayer assemblies each morning :shrug:

Oh prayers and hymns are fine. Indeed, they used to be mandatory. However, that's just a bit of fun - nothing really to do with spooky god nonsense - very different to indoctrination becoming part of the curriculum.

Presumably, the indoctrination in Jewish schools is of the 'How to control international finance and media in order to subjugate the goyim' type?

Monty92
01-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Oh prayers and hymns are fine. Indeed, they used to be mandatory. However, that's just a bit of fun - nothing really to do with spooky god nonsense - very different to indoctrination becoming part of the curriculum.

Presumably, the indoctrination in Jewish schools is of the 'How to control international finance and media in order to subjugate the goyim' type?

Well bear in mind we are talking about Primary School. They do have RE lessons, but I don't think they can veer too far from the curriculum without getting into serious trouble.

The dangers of faith schools come in Secondary School, where schools have created a very sinister loophole whereby certain lessons (e.g. sex education) are not inspected by an Ofsted inspector, but someone who is effectively appointed by the school itself. This gives them the leeway to basically teach anything they like to kids about sex (and we can well imagine what they get taught at Islamic schools) with impunity.

redgunamo
01-18-2018, 12:41 PM

Properly looked at, the real brainwashing ought to happen at home. I mean, a redgunamo will grow up a redgunamo, regardless of what any schoolteachers say. It's just as valuable for my boys to spend the day with me out coursing or playing video games or in the pub. I'm responsible for them, not whichever jumped up borstal they waste their days away at.

But now nobody has the time or the inclination to actually raise their children, so schools get to be more influential. Increasingly, parents use their kids' education to virtue-signal and to avoid admitting that they've f-ed up.

Peter
01-18-2018, 01:56 PM

Its not a faith school, its Church Of England. God is barely even an optional extra in the CofE these days.

Burney
01-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Its not a faith school, its Church Of England. God is barely even an optional extra in the CofE these days.

Well they're enough of a faith to be filthy heretics bound for the lowest pits of hell, p.

Dirty, protestant bàstards.

Luis Anaconda
01-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Well they're enough of a faith to be filthy heretics bound for the lowest pits of hell, p.

Didn't you go to a CofE school, b? I mean, I did as well - at least it meant I could opt out of assemblies in sixth form as they had a religious element

redgunamo
01-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Didn't you go to a CofE school, b? I mean, I did as well - at least it meant I could opt out of assemblies in sixth form as they had a religious element

Why would you want to opt out of assemblies? Surely everyone loves a good sing-song, don't they?

Burney
01-18-2018, 02:37 PM

I went to a public school founded by a post-reformation Archbishop of Canterbury whose religious observances - such as they were - were high-church Anglican, but it wasn't a C of E school as such.

And I loved assemblies. All the masters in gowns and, lots of hymn singing and the music master thumping away sweatily at his mighty organ - marvellous!

I still find myself singing C of E hymns. So much better than all those dreary Catholic ones.

Luis Anaconda
01-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Why would you want to opt out of assemblies? Surely everyone loves a good sing-song, don't they?

The only decent one I can remember is when the headmaster read out the cricket score from India as both Gatting and Fowler had scored double centuries

SWv2
01-18-2018, 02:49 PM

Hear, hear!

Ash
One of many reasons I wouldn't send my kids to a Catholic school, main one being I'm not Catholic

You might as well send 'em to a Madrassa, on the indoctrination front.

Ash
Well bear in mind we are talking about Primary School. They do have RE lessons, but I don't think they can veer too far from the curriculum without getting into serious trouble.

The dangers of faith schools come in Secondary School, where schools have created a very sinister loophole whereby certain lessons (e.g. sex education) are not inspected by an Ofsted inspector, but someone who is effectively appointed by the school itself. This gives them the leeway to basically teach anything they like to kids about sex (and we can well imagine what they get taught at Islamic schools) with impunity.

Yes, yes, but what about the controlling international finance and media bit? Tell us how that works.

Burney
01-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Yes, yes, but what about the controlling international finance and media bit? Tell us how that works.

They'll never let us in on that stuff, a. :-(

SWv2
01-18-2018, 03:02 PM
You might as well send 'em to a Madrassa, on the indoctrination front.

I think you are possibly over thinking what goes on in a catholic school.

My two go and I am unaware of anything specific they are taught on this area. Of course there is Holy Jesus and shíte like that but they are informed at home that this is utter nonsense and all made up, while also being told to not repeat these views to their teacher.

Look at me, 14 years of Catholic education and more rounded than a ball.

Burney
01-18-2018, 03:08 PM
I think you are possibly over thinking what goes on in a catholic school.

My two go and I am unaware of anything specific they are taught on this area. Of course there is Holy Jesus and shíte like that but they are informed at home that this is utter nonsense and all made up, while also being told to not repeat these views to their teacher.

Look at me, 14 years of Catholic education and more rounded than a ball.

My father was educated by Christian Brothers - an experience that convinced him that no child of his was ever being allowed anywhere near a Catholic education.
I remember on one occasion he even went so far as to pull me out of some mission to help the poor or some such shïte the local priest was organising at my school - so he probably saved me from getting nonced off there, I reckon. Cheers dad.

Peter
01-18-2018, 04:53 PM
I went to a public school founded by a post-reformation Archbishop of Canterbury whose religious observances - such as they were - were high-church Anglican, but it wasn't a C of E school as such.

And I loved assemblies. All the masters in gowns and, lots of hymn singing and the music master thumping away sweatily at his mighty organ - marvellous!

I still find myself singing C of E hymns. So much better than all those dreary Catholic ones.

We had those assemblies in my first year at school but then they banned hymns. We sang the school song twice a year but otherwise, nothing!

Most people seemed to be in agreement that hymns had been banned 'cos of the jews'......

Shame. We had a wonderful organ.....

SWv2
01-18-2018, 05:01 PM
We had those assemblies in my first year at school but then they banned hymns. We sang the school song twice a year but otherwise, nothing!

Most people seemed to be in agreement that hymns had been banned 'cos of the jews'......

Shame. We had a wonderful organ.....

The school song?

Go on, humour me.

Peter
01-18-2018, 05:11 PM
The school song?

Go on, humour me.

I dont remember it, other than it was pretty ****.

Burney
01-18-2018, 07:46 PM
The school song?

Go on, humour me.

I’ll give you mine, sw.

‘Adeste laetis animis
Adeste seniores
Nunc est laudatus dominus
Laudate seniores’

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-18-2018, 08:16 PM

I'm amazed your other half's family have not realised that you are an Iranian looking Jew :shrug: