PDA

View Full Version : So the French are letting us have the Bayeux Tapestry for a bit.

Burney
01-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Fair enough, really, given that it was made here. But you don't see us kicking up a fuss like those Greeks with their silly marbles, do you?

Ash
01-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Where is it going to be displayed? Presumably we won't give it back.

redgunamo
01-17-2018, 11:13 AM
The real, original Bayeux Needlework Project is always on show in Reading anyway, everyone knows that.

Burney
01-17-2018, 11:19 AM

I would assume we'd display it in the nation's capital - probably at the British Museum.

And of course we'll give it back. Otherwise it would set an unfortunate precedent vis-a-vis the rest of the contents of the British Museum,

Ash
01-17-2018, 11:27 AM
I would assume we'd display it in the nation's capital - probably at the British Museum.

And of course we'll give it back. Otherwise it would set an unfortunate precedent vis-a-vis the rest of the contents of the British Museum,

Did you see that programme recently about the Hanging Gardens of Babylon? A carving in the British Museum supports the theory that it was in Nineveh (now Mosul).

Burney
01-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Did you see that programme recently about the Hanging Gardens of Babylon? A carving in the British Museum supports the theory that it was in Nineveh (now Mosul).

I think the Babylonian and Assyrian sections of the BM are my favourite. There's some eye-poppingly good stuff in there. The Assyrian friezes in particular are astonishing.

Ash
01-17-2018, 11:55 AM
I think the Babylonian and Assyrian sections of the BM are my favourite. There's some eye-poppingly good stuff in there. The Assyrian friezes in particular are astonishing.

:nod: And there's something wondrous about Cuneiform script too imo.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-17-2018, 10:48 PM

Yup. Those lion hunt bas-relief friezes are stunning. The Benin Bronzes are ace, too.