PDA

View Full Version : So it's another referendum then. Ignore Mrs May's firm assertion that there will

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 10:20 AM
not be one. One decent Twitter storm and she'll fold like a cheap picnic table, then Comrade Jeremy will mobilise the nitwit millennials with promises of riches, free iPhones and affordable housing.

A push and shove boys and the land is ours, or theirs....whatever!

Billy Goat Sverige
01-12-2018, 10:22 AM
not be one. One decent Twitter storm and she'll fold like a cheap picnic table, then Comrade Jeremy will mobilise the nitwit millennials with promises of riches, free iPhones and affordable housing.

No. It’s just Nigel Farage trying to stay relevant.

Pat Vegas
01-12-2018, 10:23 AM

Maybe he can be the next Arsenal Manager.
he might be a bit of a clown but he keeps winning.

Burney
01-12-2018, 10:26 AM

Errr....no. Not it isn't. There is no possibility of a second referendum. Nigel Farage is irrelevant.

Also, you have to remember that Jez has actually committed to getting us out of the Single Market and the Customs Union, so he's a fairly unlikely figurehead for a Remain vote, I'd have thought.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Clearly desperate for one last six week slot of minor fame. The man's a ****.

Peter
01-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Errr....no. Not it isn't. There is no possibility of a second referendum. Nigel Farage is irrelevant.

Also, you have to remember that Jez has actually committed to getting us out of the Single Market and the Customs Union, so he's a fairly unlikely figurehead for a Remain vote, I'd have thought.

A second referendum would be great fun. Even better, a second referendum where you get exactly the same result, to the nearest percentage point, would be even funnier.

Best of three?

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 11:03 AM
A second referendum would be great fun. Even better, a second referendum where you get exactly the same result, to the nearest percentage point, would be even funnier.

Best of three?

I would vote Remain again while secretly hoping that Leave won by a larger margin for no reason other than to watch Blair, Campbell et al try and squirm their way out of that one. :hehe:

Burney
01-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Clearly desperate for one last six week slot of minor fame. The man's a ****.

It tells you what a profoundly unserious man Farage is that he would even contemplate risking this most hard-won result for the sake of his own ego. This is just one of the reasons why the serious Leave campaign ostracised the man as far as possible.

Interestingly, polling before the vote showed that whenever Farage had a particularly high public profile, support for UKIP would increase, but overall support for leave across the UK would dip because a lot of natural leave voters didn't want to be associated with Farage or UKIP. In that sense, while you have to give him credit that we wouldn't have got the vote without him, he's a very divisive figure even among Leavers.

Burney
01-12-2018, 11:09 AM
I would vote Remain again while secretly hoping that Leave won by a larger margin for no reason other than to watch Blair, Campbell et al try and squirm their way out of that one. :hehe:

Blair has said with a straight face that he wouldn't rule out a third referendum in such a case. That's the sort of people we're dealing with here. The public vote means nothing to them unless it delivers the result they want. Gobshítes.

Mind you, if a Remain vote were returned, it would be fascinating to hear the reasons given as to why a third vote shouldn't be allowed. :hehe:

Peter
01-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Blair has said with a straight face that he wouldn't rule out a third referendum in such a case. That's the sort of people we're dealing with here. The public vote means nothing to them unless it delivers the result they want. Gobshítes.

Mind you, if a Remain vote were returned, it would be fascinating to hear the reasons given as to why a third vote shouldn't be allowed. :hehe:

That surely is the biggest practical argument against a second vote, leaving aside the whole 'you dont get a second chance just because you lost' thing. A leave victory changes nothing, a remain victory would solve nothing, and simply make it 1-1.

To be fair to Farage I think he said it might be worth it just to shut Blair up and the leave majority would be bigger. I dont think that is necessarily true and, as you have said, it certainly wouldn't shut anyone up.

The only scenario where a second vote could happen is if the vote was specifically on the exit deal, in the context of accepting that we are leaving whatever the outcome. That sounds pretty complicated so it cant really happen.

redgunamo
01-12-2018, 11:32 AM
That surely is the biggest practical argument against a second vote, leaving aside the whole 'you dont get a second chance just because you lost' thing. A leave victory changes nothing, a remain victory would solve nothing, and simply make it 1-1.

To be fair to Farage I think he said it might be worth it just to shut Blair up and the leave majority would be bigger. I dont think that is necessarily true and, as you have said, it certainly wouldn't shut anyone up.

The only scenario where a second vote could happen is if the vote was specifically on the exit deal, in the context of accepting that we are leaving whatever the outcome. That sounds pretty complicated so it cant really happen.

Is everyone just playing for time now then? Maybe there'll eventually be no EU left to Brexit from?

Burney
01-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Is everyone just playing for time now then? Maybe there'll eventually be no EU left to Brexit from?

The shenanigans with the Visegrád Group are going to get worse before they get better, which could mean more countries leaving. After all, I don't think the Poles, Slovaks, Czechs and Hungarians are likely to come around to the idea of mass muslim immigration any time soon.

Burney
01-12-2018, 11:39 AM

I think it would be touch and go as it was before. Sir John Curtice has made it clear that there has been no real shift in people's opinions since June 2016, so any vote would still be within the margin for error and thus too close to call.

A vote on the exit deal makes no sense. Your choice could only be between accepting the deal on the table or leaving with no deal at all. Either way, we leave.

SWv2
01-12-2018, 11:40 AM

Surely another referendum would be of no use as having already triggered Article 51 you can fúck right off / have started a sequence of events which cannot be reversed.

Burney
01-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Surely another referendum would be of no use as having already triggered Article 51 you can fúck right off / have started a sequence of events which cannot be reversed.

The EU would bend the rules to have us back in a heartbeat because we've left them with a massive gap in their budget.

Monty92
01-12-2018, 11:49 AM
for political pragmatism, with the intention at some point down the line of meeting the wishes of the overwhelming majority of Labour members by endorsing a second referendum?

Bearing in mind his own deputy has said a second ref is still on the table...

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-12-2018, 12:07 PM
Maybe he can be the next Arsenal Manager.
he might be a bit of a clown but he keeps winning.

#FarageOut

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 12:07 PM
I repeat, the man is a ****.

My deepest odium regarding Brexit is reserved for Boris. He was singularly ashen faced on the morning after the leave vote and behaved in a serpentine and disreputable way in the days that followed. He would have been expected to stand for PM following Cameron's resignation but the fat, scruffy snake knew a poisoned chalice when he saw one. ****.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 12:10 PM
for political pragmatism, with the intention at some point down the line of meeting the wishes of the overwhelming majority of Labour members by endorsing a second referendum?

Career politician triangulating for political advantage you suggest? Your prescience is remarkable.

SWv2
01-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Career politician triangulating for political advantage you suggest? Your prescience is remarkable.

Herbs mate, the big lads are talking politics.

Stick to removing shíte from pipes.

Monty92
01-12-2018, 12:16 PM
wouldn't rule out a Labour shift towards a second ref, given the support among their members.

Burney
01-12-2018, 12:18 PM

I think 'triangulating' is giving them far too much credit. They are between a rock and a hard place on Brexit and are consequently trying to avoid committing either way. At some point they're going to have to jump, but they're hoping that things go sufficiently wrong between now and leaving that they can dress it up as an act of principle rather than a cynical and opportunist bit of politicking.

If that doesn't happen, a general election between now and us leaving is the last thing Labour want as it would force them to nail their Brexit colours to the mast and lose voters from one camp or the other.

Burney
01-12-2018, 12:19 PM
wouldn't rule out a Labour shift towards a second ref, given the support among their members.

Members are different things to voters, though. There are a lot of Labour voters who would take a move towards a second referendum very badly indeed.

Monty92
01-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Members are different things to voters, though. There are a lot of Labour voters who would take a move towards a second referendum very badly indeed.

Yes, why is why they are biding their time, as you outline above.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Herbs mate, the big lads are talking politics.

Stick to removing shíte from pipes.

Will do mate ;-)

If you've any tarmac left over today my drive needs doing btw.

SWv2
01-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Will do mate ;-)

If you've any tarmac left over today my drive needs doing btw.

Very good H.

Inoffensive banter eh. Where would we be without it.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Very good H.

Inoffensive banter eh. Where would we be without it.

Well you keep repeating your shít pipe joke over and over again and we'll be fine.

SWv2
01-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Well you keep repeating your shít pipe joke over and over again and we'll be fine.

Sorry H, never again.

I do realise you are some kind of computer nerd these days.

:-(

Burney
01-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Now, now, children. If you can't banter nicely, then I won't let you banter at all.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Sorry H, never again.

I do realise you are some kind of computer nerd these days.

:-(

I am a humble programmer S. What exactly is it that you do? I know this question has been asked before. Aren't you also 'something' in I.T.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Now, now, children. If you can't banter nicely, then I won't let you banter at all.

Shut it posh boy. You'll get a fackin fat lip 'n all

SWv2
01-12-2018, 01:00 PM
I am a humble programmer S. What exactly is it that you do? I know this question has been asked before. Aren't you also 'something' in I.T.

Database management / profiling.

Wee bit of marketing also but that is dead.

Ash
01-12-2018, 01:03 PM

Killed by GDPR?

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Careful Herb, he does targeted marketing.

Make him mad and 2,000 of the latest Argos catalogue will be on your doorstep in the morning. :nono:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 01:08 PM
database management / profiling.

select * from customers

Pokster
01-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Shut it posh boy. You'll get a fackin fat lip 'n all

Posh Boy :hehe: He's part Irish Herbs

Viva Prat Vegas
01-12-2018, 01:16 PM
The "Tick here if you don't want our offers / junk mail" wording seems to have now been altered to say
"do" and not "don't"

Good move

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Posh Boy :hehe: He's part Irish Herbs

There's Irish and there's Irish Pok. Arthur Wellesley was Irish yet is the greatest ever englishman, if you get my drift.

Burney
01-12-2018, 01:25 PM
There's Irish and there's Irish Pok. Arthur Wellesley was Irish yet is the greatest ever englishman, if you get my drift.

:nod: Being born in a stable doesn’t make one a horse imo

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 02:04 PM

I think there is an argument to be made that any referendum (forget Brexit specifically) is more likely to be representative if you have a second and final vote.

A single referendum is always open to the criticism that people didn't take it seriously because they thought it was certain that the public would vote one way or the other, or that something was fundamentally misrepresented in the lead up to the vote etc etc. A second referendum would resolve many of those concerns with necessarily leaving us open to the possibility of a third referendum.

I don't want one, of course, but I don't buy the argument that you can't have a second one without considering the possibility of a third one.

SWv2
01-12-2018, 02:10 PM
select * from customers

To a point but I have underlings to do that for me.

redgunamo
01-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Do it like in the football; two legs, aggregate score and all that?

SWv2
01-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Killed by GDPR?

Been dying for years A, businesses moving to electronic means of communicating, lower cost etc.

GDPR will simply kill the already dying beast.

Burney
01-12-2018, 02:12 PM
I think there is an argument to be made that any referendum (forget Brexit specifically) is more likely to be representative if you have a second and final vote.

A single referendum is always open to the criticism that people didn't take it seriously because they thought it was certain that the public would vote one way or the other, or that something was fundamentally misrepresented in the lead up to the vote etc etc. A second referendum would resolve many of those concerns with necessarily leaving us open to the possibility of a third referendum.

I don't want one, of course, but I don't buy the argument that you can't have a second one without considering the possibility of a third one.

The trouble with this argument (aparty from the bullshít about people not taking it seriously) is that it’s innately authoritarian. It smacks of teacher being able to tell the naughty electorate to go away and think about what it’s done and come back with the ‘right’ answer this time. In other words, it undermines the whole nature and purpose of the process.

SWv2
01-12-2018, 02:12 PM
The "Tick here if you don't want our offers / junk mail" wording seems to have now been altered to say
"do" and not "don't"

Good move

Indeed, a subtle move where consent now has to be clearly indicated and affirmative.

In other words opt-in.

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 02:20 PM
The trouble with this argument (aparty from the bullshít about people not taking it seriously) is that it’s innately authoritarian. It smacks of teacher being able to tell the naughty electorate to go away and think about what it’s done and come back with the ‘right’ answer this time. In other words, it undermines the whole nature and purpose of the process.

Why is 'not taking it seriously' bullsh1t? The 18-30 year old bracket was seriously under-represented on a proportional basis, you don't think that it is possible that they took for granted that we wouldn't Leave? I do, although I would agree they deserve everything they get if that was the reason.

You portray the approach as being similar to a teacher and a naughty child but that's just a frivolous analogy meant to demean the approach. The reality is that some of the issues with a single referendum could be addressed with a second referendum without leading to a possible third referendum. That's my utterly irrelevant point. :-)

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 02:27 PM
To a point but I have underlings to do that for me.

Underlings? - The polish tea ladies code?

redgunamo
01-12-2018, 02:29 PM
I repeat, the man is a ****.

My deepest odium regarding Brexit is reserved for Boris. He was singularly ashen faced on the morning after the leave vote and behaved in a serpentine and disreputable way in the days that followed. He would have been expected to stand for PM following Cameron's resignation but the fat, scruffy snake knew a poisoned chalice when he saw one. ****.

To think he was my MP, I voted for him :-(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTWI8SIVMAAmBNG.jpg:large

SWv2
01-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Underlings? - The polish tea ladies code?

Tea lady?

What year do you work in. It's all flat whites and green tea these days H.

Burney
01-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Why is 'not taking it seriously' bullsh1t? The 18-30 year old bracket was seriously under-represented on a proportional basis, you don't think that it is possible that they took for granted that we wouldn't Leave? I do, although I would agree they deserve everything they get if that was the reason.

You portray the approach as being similar to a teacher and a naughty child but that's just a frivolous analogy meant to demean the approach. The reality is that some of the issues with a single referendum could be addressed with a second referendum without leading to a possible third referendum. That's my utterly irrelevant point. :-)

People who don't vote and then don't like the result don't get to turn around and have another go, ffs. That's rewarding voter apathy, ffs!

Ash
01-12-2018, 02:50 PM
To think he was my MP, I voted for him :-(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTWI8SIVMAAmBNG.jpg:large

Bloody hell! That's following from the FISA warrant granted via the Steele Dossier, I presume

That's Foreign Secretaries for you. They take their orders from Langley! :-(

Also, it says top secret and seems to have been posted on the internet. :yikes:

redgunamo
01-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Bloody hell! That's following from the FISA warrant granted via the Steele Dossier, I presume

That's Foreign Secretaries for you. They take their orders from Langley! :-(

Also, it says top secret and seems to have been posted on the internet. :yikes:

It's fairly common to get around rules about spying on your own people by getting your foreign spook mates to do it for you instead.

This missive apparently means that dear old Susan is for the high jump.

Ash
01-12-2018, 03:30 PM
This missive apparently means that dear old Susan is for the high jump.

Oh, Susan Rice! I thought the name was familiar. Daughter of a governor of the Federal Reserve. Married to ABC News executive producer.

lol

Burney
01-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Oh, Susan Rice! I thought the name was familiar. Daughter of a governor of the Federal Reserve. Married to ABC News executive producer.

lol

She's no Condoleeza Rice, that's for sure. Phwoar! :love:

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 04:15 PM
She's no Condoleeza Rice, that's for sure. Phwoar! :love:

And to think you mocked me for claiming there was a certain something about Macron's old lady. :rolleyes:

Burney
01-12-2018, 04:22 PM
And to think you mocked me for claiming there was a certain something about Macron's old lady. :rolleyes:

Pffff. She's a raddled old hag compared to 9/11 era Condi. Woof!

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Pffff. She's a raddled old hag compared to 9/11 era Condi. Woof!

Good lord, man, Condi had all the sex appeal of a wet tissue.

She may be an old hag, but I'd imagine Macron's missus would be very eager to please. A highly under-estimated characteristic in a bird imo.

Burney
01-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Good lord, man, Condi had all the sex appeal of a wet tissue.

She may be an old hag, but I'd imagine Macron's missus would be very eager to please. A highly under-estimated characteristic in a bird imo.

I think Condi would have been extremely demanding. You're just worried you wouldn't have been able to satisfy her profound carnality.