PDA

View Full Version : Final remaining member of Motorhead 'Fast' Eddie Clarke has died.

Burney
01-11-2018, 12:39 PM
So that's now all of them who've checked out before reaching their 70s.

Unsurprising, really.

Luis Anaconda
01-11-2018, 12:48 PM

Unsurprising, really.

67 is a decent knock though - heavy metal band membership being very much the T20 of the life expectancy stakes

Burney
01-11-2018, 01:03 PM
67 is a decent knock though - heavy metal band membership being very much the T20 of the life expectancy stakes

Yes. Surprising they all got as far as they did, really. Even Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor made it to 61 and he was by all accounts a lunatic.

SWv2
01-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Unsurprising, really.

Thoughts and prayers are with Frimley.

Burney
01-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with Frimley.

:hehe: I think Motörhead were a bit poppy for Frimmers.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-11-2018, 01:46 PM
I thought it was AWIMBs Fast Eddie
You know
That Irishman with a permanent rage

Burney
01-11-2018, 01:49 PM
I thought it was AWIMBs Fast Eddie
You know
That Irishman with a permanent rage

Oh, yes. The one who was convinced Britain started WWII and was a bit Holocaust deny-ey?

He wasn’t my biggest fan, s. :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
01-11-2018, 01:52 PM
That's him
The one with the skewed outlook on political events
Sort of like an aggressive version of dear Jorge
I fear he had a murderous temper on him and am glad he never actually got at you

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-11-2018, 01:59 PM
Yes. Surprising they all got as far as they did, really. Even Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor made it to 61 and he was by all accounts a lunatic.

Err .. I am assuming then that Lemmy has gone to that great wart removal clinic in the sky?

Viva Prat Vegas
01-11-2018, 02:00 PM
A Christmas or two ago Herbert

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Err .. I am assuming then that Lemmy has gone to that great wart removal clinic in the sky?

Yes. I think he was one of 2016's casualties, wasn't he?

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:14 PM
That's him
The one with the skewed outlook on political events
Sort of like an aggressive version of dear Jorge
I fear he had a murderous temper on him and am glad he never actually got at you

He was a provo, basically. Saw everything - up to and including World War Two - through the prism of his deep and abiding hatred of England. I don't mind a bit of Irish nationalism here and there - hell, I'll even sing a rebel song myself if sufficiently drunk - but I cannot stand the breed who think Irish patriotism simply means hating England.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Yes. I think he was one of 2016's casualties, wasn't he?

I forget stuff these days though I won't forget David Bowie passing as I thought he was immortal.

Imagine the enormous great brouhaha, kerfuffle and general to do there'll be the day McCartney takes a walk. Almost looking forward to it.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-11-2018, 02:19 PM
He was a provo, basically. Saw everything - up to and including World War Two - through the prism of his deep and abiding hatred of England. I don't mind a bit of Irish nationalism here and there - hell, I'll even sing a rebel song myself if sufficiently drunk - but I cannot stand the breed who think Irish patriotism simply means hating England.

That, though, is every last Jock I ever met.

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:20 PM
I forget stuff these days though I won't forget David Bowie passing as I thought he was immortal.

Imagine the enormous great brouhaha, kerfuffle and general to do there'll be the day McCartney takes a walk. Almost looking forward to it.

To be honest, if the last time I saw him was anything to go by, he's started embalming himself. Mind you, he looks the type to live to a hundred. He might see me out, tbh.

SWv2
01-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Yet (I assume) he supported an English football club.

Bizarre.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-11-2018, 02:22 PM
As Jorge (RIP) called him
Sir Thumbsaloft
:thumbup:

SWv2
To be honest, if the last time I saw him was anything to go by, he's started embalming himself. Mind you, he looks the type to live to a hundred. He might see me out, tbh.

Worth remembering all the same that for every Sgt Peppers or Rubber Soul or Revolver there is The Frog Chorus.

Burney
That, though, is every last Jock I ever met.

There's a bit of pantomime in most Scots' 'hatred' of England imo. However, it's certainly every Scot Nat I've ever encountered. They all start off saying it's about self-determination and all that, but scratch the surface for a few seconds and it's 'the bàstard English' this and 'Sassenach twàt' that.

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:24 PM
Worth remembering all the same that for every Sgt Peppers or Rubber Soul or Revolver there is The Frog Chorus.

You know The Frog Chorus was a song for kids in a kids' film, right? And, as such, it was very good.

I don't think Sir Paul ever thought he was writing the Eroica Symphony when he was knocking it together, tbf.

IUFG
01-11-2018, 02:32 PM
You know The Frog Chorus was a song for kids in a kids' film, right? And, as such, it was very good.

I'll raise you Ebony and Ivory.

and Pipes of Peace.

Luis Anaconda
01-11-2018, 02:33 PM

:hehe: Was a funny day when he was spouting his **** about this and that and having a go at both of us, yet revealed he was actually English - or at least far more English than you or me

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-11-2018, 02:34 PM
As Jorge (RIP) called him
Sir Thumbsaloft
:thumbup:

I love Jorge and miss him a great deal but his loathing of the Fabs was always puzzling to me. In '62 Britain was still in the grip of grey, post-war torpor and our voice was essentially that of the carping, nagging, middle class tones of the Pathe news men.

That four working class blokes from the industrial north should have initiated such seismic and global cultural change should delight a man of Jorge's persuasion. Our Empire was finished so the Mop Tops effectively replaced it with a much more far reaching empire of the mind.

To disparage the Beatles in one breath and then laud and applaud a barber shop quartet like the Beach Boys beggars belief.

SWv2
01-11-2018, 02:36 PM
I love Jorge and miss him a great deal but his loathing of the Fabs was always puzzling to me. In '62 Britain was still in the grip of grey, post-war torpor and our voice was essentially that of the carping, nagging, middle class tones of the Pathe news men.

That four working class blokes from the industrial north should have initiated such seismic and global cultural change should delight a man of Jorge's persuasion. Our Empire was finished so the Mop Tops effectively replaced it with a much more far reaching empire of the mind.

To disparage the Beatles in one breath and then laud and applaud a barber shop quartet like the Beach Boys beggars belief.

Jorge was Irish so Britain and it's so called Empire was of little interest to him.

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:37 PM

He was of the rather silly school who think that Lennon was cool and great because he was 'edgy' and dead, while McCartney was hopelessly uncool because he wrote a great melody and was alive.

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:38 PM
Jorge was Irish so Britain and it's so called Empire was of little interest to him.

:hehe: That was always very funny. He was forever threatening to move to your delightful country, but strangely seems still not to have got around to it. :rubchin:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-11-2018, 02:45 PM
He was of the rather silly school who think that Lennon was cool and great because he was 'edgy' and dead, while McCartney was hopelessly uncool because he wrote a great melody and was alive.

And yet it was McCartney who wrote Give Ireland Back To The Irish, and Lady Madonna, an anti Catholic polemic. Fool on the Hill, a poignant study of alienation. I think McCartney was the superior writer in addition to being the superior tunesmith

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:46 PM
:hehe: Was a funny day when he was spouting his **** about this and that and having a go at both of us, yet revealed he was actually English - or at least far more English than you or me

He was probably one of these people who change their English names to Irish ones. The sort who are actually called Bill Smith, but style themselves Liam Mac an Ghabhain* or whatever.

*I'm sure sw will correct my spelling here. Although I find the notion of spelling in Irish a rather droll one.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Well, say what you will of Jorge, if I ever found myself in the dock accused of crimes I had not committed, I'd want as many Jorges on the jury as possible. I fear you b, and Sir C, would simply want me locked up asap so you could go for a long lunch.

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:49 PM
And yet it was McCartney who wrote Give Ireland Back To The Irish, and Lady Madonna, an anti Catholic polemic. Fool on the Hill, a poignant study of alienation. I think McCartney was the superior writer in addition to being the superior tunesmith

The less said about 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish' the better, h. :-(

Anyway, I think trying to judge who was better is unhelpful, really. They were complementary.

SWv2
01-11-2018, 02:51 PM
He was probably one of these people who change their English names to Irish ones. The sort who are actually called Bill Smith, but style themselves Liam Mac an Ghabhain* or whatever.

*I'm sure sw will correct my spelling here. Although I find the notion of spelling in Irish a rather droll one.

I would not have expected the "an" to be there but who knows.

You only ever really learned your own name for the oral exams.

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Well, say what you will of Jorge, if I ever found myself in the dock accused of crimes I had not committed, I'd want as many Jorges on the jury as possible. I fear you b, and Sir C, would simply want me locked up asap so you could go for a long lunch.

:nono: I would take my role as juror very seriously. I'd look carefully at the evidence, weigh all the probabilities and then, when you opened your mouth and revealed your social class, I would decide you were guilty.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-11-2018, 02:54 PM
Ditto if you were guilty as sin Herbert !

Sir C has already done jury service
Kept nodding off for 40 winks :hehe:
:snooze:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Don't forget Imagine, a disingenuous, saccharine dirge. Imagine no possessions? It's easy if you've got a garage full of Rolls Royces John.

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
I would not have expected the "an" to be there but who knows.

You only ever really learned your own name for the oral exams.

What is your pretendy Irish name, sw? 'Stiofán Macliammoir', or something like that?

SWv2
01-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Don't forget Imagine, a disingenuous, saccharine dirge. Imagine no possessions? It's easy if you've got a garage full of Rolls Royces John.

It's easy if you try H.

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:57 PM

:nod: I'd have shot him just for shítting that disingenuous turd of a song into the world.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Look at how they spell Shivaun !
Siobbhan
WTF ?!

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Ditto if you were guilty as sin Herbert !

Sir C has already done jury service
Kept nodding off for 40 winks :hehe:
:snooze:

:nod: He actually acquitted some people. I'm not sure I've forgiven him yet.

Burney
01-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Look at how they spell Shivaun !
Siobbhan
WTF ?!

Well 'bhan' means 'woman'. As in 'bhan sidhe' or banshee, which just means 'woman spirit/ghost'. And as in the Shan Van Vocht or 'Poor Old Woman' meant to represent Ireland.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-11-2018, 03:04 PM
:nod: He actually acquitted some people. I'm not sure I've forgiven him yet.

The one he acquitted was a Laird charged with horse whipping one of his servants.

Burney
01-11-2018, 03:04 PM
The one he acquitted was a Laird charged with horse whipping one of his servants.

No. It was some poor junkie who he felt the police were fitting up.

Ash
01-11-2018, 03:09 PM
There's a bit of pantomime in most Scots' 'hatred' of England imo. However, it's certainly every Scot Nat I've ever encountered. They all start off saying it's about self-determination and all that, but scratch the surface for a few seconds and it's 'the bàstard English' this and 'Sassenach twàt' that.

I don't know how many other 'Nationalist' parties in Europe are vehemently pro-EU, but I do find that position somewhat inconsistent with claims to be about self-determination.

I should also declare that at one point I wanted to vote SNP solely because of their anti-NATO position, which I agreed with. :hehe: They've ditched it now, of course. Feckin globalist imperialists. :thumbdown:

SWv2
01-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Well 'bhan' means 'woman'. As in 'bhan sidhe' or banshee, which just means 'woman spirit/ghost'. And as in the Shan Van Vocht or 'Poor Old Woman' meant to represent Ireland.

Bean.

I am being reintroduced to it by means of having to check or help with my kids homework, which quite frankly is bollócks.

Burney
01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
I don't know how many other 'Nationalist' parties in Europe are vehemently pro-EU, but I do find that position somewhat inconsistent with claims to be about self-determination.

I should also declare that at one point I wanted to vote SNP solely because of their anti-NATO position, which I agreed with. :hehe: They've ditched it now, of course. Feckin globalist imperialists. :thumbdown:

Did you watch that Saudi Arabia thing yet, btw?

Burney
01-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Bean.

I am being reintroduced to it by means of having to check or help with my kids homework, which quite frankly is bollócks.

Really? I'm sure I've seen it spelt 'bhan'. But I will bow to your superior knowledge.

Does that not mean, though, that Sean Bean's name also means 'Old Woman'? :hehe:

Ash
01-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Did you watch that Saudi Arabia thing yet, btw?

No, which channel?

Burney
01-11-2018, 03:21 PM
No, which channel?

BBC2. It's called 'The House of Saud' or something. It'll be on iPlayer. It does a good job of explaining how Saudi manages the trick of being both the wellspring of global jihad and the West's most significant strategic ally at the same time. It's also good on the Saudi/Iran píssing contest that is currently defining the Middle East at the moment.

Ash
01-11-2018, 03:26 PM
BBC2. It's called 'The House of Saud' or something. It'll be on iPlayer. It does a good job of explaining how Saudi manages the trick of being both the wellspring of global jihad and the West's most significant strategic ally at the same time. It's also good on the Saudi/Iran píssing contest that is currently defining the Middle East at the moment.

Will watch that, ta :thumbup: