PDA

View Full Version : Jorge...anyone know how to switch off twitter notifications for an individual

Tony C
01-11-2018, 12:21 PM
They keep notifying about his tweets and it’s getting annoying.

I know it was mentioned before on here (Monty possibly? Sorry if I’m wrong) but is he okay? All of his tweets are truly mental.

Tony C
01-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Granted that I must be pretty annoying with all of my horse tweets but ffs I don’t need to be woken up all hours of the night about anti trump and anti brexit stuff

Luis Anaconda
01-11-2018, 12:26 PM

I know it was mentioned before on here (Monty possibly? Sorry if I’m wrong) but is he okay? All of his tweets are truly mental.

just block @realdonaldtrump imo

Burney
01-11-2018, 12:30 PM

I think it was me. Brexit seems to have driven poor j entirely batshít, I'm afraid. He's taken to retweeting The New European, which is as close to a confirmation of mental illness as you get.

The other day he was on about giving old laptops to migrants. :shrug:

PSRB
01-11-2018, 12:35 PM
I think it was me. Brexit seems to have driven poor j entirely batshít, I'm afraid. He's taken to retweeting The New European, which is as close to a confirmation of mental illness as you get.

Think you and I were discussing it. Just wish he'd stick to fooball

Burney
01-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Think you and I were discussing it. Just wish he'd stick to fooball

I think like a lot of people, he could probably have taken the Brexit punch on its own, but the one-two combination of Brexit and Trump has left him reeling.

redgunamo
01-11-2018, 12:48 PM

:hehe: What or who is the New European?

Luis Anaconda
01-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Emmanuel Macron

redgunamo
01-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Emmanuel Macron

Oh, right. Same as the old European then, I suppose.

Luis Anaconda
01-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Oh, right. Same as the old European then, I suppose.

Precisely :)

Burney
01-11-2018, 12:57 PM

It is a 'newspaper' edited by Alastair Campbell whose sole raison d'ętre is to oppose brexit. It has a circulation of about 23 and is simply full of luvvies whining. God knows who's funding it, but they must be losing money hand over fist.

Luis Anaconda
01-11-2018, 01:19 PM
It is a 'newspaper' edited by Alastair Campbell whose sole raison d'ętre is to oppose brexit. It has a circulation of about 23 and is simply full of luvvies whining. God knows who's funding it, but they must be losing money hand over fist.

Didn't realise it was edited by Campbell - wasn't the original European, a Maxwell venture. I remember buying a couple of copies of it back in the day

Burney
01-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Didn't realise it was edited by Campbell - wasn't the original European, a Maxwell venture. I remember buying a couple of copies of it back in the day

That’s right. It was one of the early colour ones, wasn’t it?

Luis Anaconda
01-11-2018, 01:25 PM
That’s right. It was one of the early colour ones, wasn’t it?

Yes - I think that was what attracted me rather than the content. Came out around the time Today was in full bloom

SWv2
01-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Settings - Notifications - Personal - Specific - Off.

Ash
01-11-2018, 01:35 PM

Soros? To take a wild guess.

“To all intents and purposes the paper has had no advertising since we launched,” Editor Matt Kelly. (Campbell is Editor-at-Large)

His own readership, he says, is “absolutely the best quality audience you could imagine; they are all AB, they are all high-earners, and they are all completely self-defined in terms of their position on Europe,”

Jorge's new preferred demographic? The Blairite paper also bashes Corbyn, I think.

http://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2017/09/28/why-are-advertisers-shunning-the-new-european

Ash
01-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Settings - Notifications - Personal - Specific - Off.

Ooooh! Look at Mister Twitter Technical Support Man here.

Jorge would be well impressed.

Burney
01-11-2018, 01:39 PM
Soros? To take a wild guess.

“To all intents and purposes the paper has had no advertising since we launched,” Editor Matt Kelly. (Campbell is Editor-at-Large)

His own readership, he says, is “absolutely the best quality audience you could imagine; they are all AB, they are all high-earners, and they are all completely self-defined in terms of their position on Europe,”

Jorge's new preferred demographic? The Blairite paper also bashes Corbyn, I think.

It’s usually Soros, isn’t it? I saw Peter Sutherland died the other day. Vile cůnt, he was. I met him at a dinner with the Irish ambassador once. He was Goldman Sachs Man personified.

SWv2
01-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Ooooh! Look at Mister Twitter Technical Support Man here.

Jorge would be well impressed.

I miss Comrade Jorge. I wonder how he fills his day now that he doesn't have Berni and Sir C to lock horns with.

Burney
01-11-2018, 01:47 PM
I miss Comrade Jorge. I wonder how he fills his day now that he doesn't have Berni and Sir C to lock horns with.

I miss him, too. However, I think we could only tolerate one another when politics weren’t as febrile as they are now.

SWv2
01-11-2018, 01:51 PM
I miss him, too. However, I think we could only tolerate one another when politics weren’t as febrile as they are now.

Well yes politics were always the flashpoint.

When he went all football hipster on us we could easily shut that down but between Brexit and Corbyn and snap elections I think it all got too much.

Burney
01-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Well yes politics were always the flashpoint.

When he went all football hipster on us we could easily shut that down but between Brexit and Corbyn and snap elections I think it all got too much.

It's a shame. He was amusing company in many other respects. Probably still is, for all I know. His politics were always sophomoric, though.

IUFG
01-11-2018, 02:29 PM
When he went all football hipster on us...

despite him not being able to spell the players names correctly.

he had his plus points. He liked the Wu Tang Clan.

The Rob2
01-11-2018, 04:29 PM
I don't miss him

He needs to get off the internet for 5 minutes

Tony - you click on the little arrow next to his name and click mute

World's End Stella
01-11-2018, 04:44 PM
It's a shame. He was amusing company in many other respects. Probably still is, for all I know. His politics were always sophomoric, though.

I always saw him as a tragic figure. Put aside his politics, the bloke spent his life on the internet and had all sorts of phobias and conditions which suggest he isn't all there.

I mean, he didn't seem to be intellectually bereft yet he held views that could only be supported if you were.

Burney
01-11-2018, 04:48 PM
I always saw him as a tragic figure. Put aside his politics, the bloke spent his life on the internet and had all sorts of phobias and conditions which suggest he isn't all there.

I mean, he didn't seem to be intellectually bereft yet he held views that could only be supported if you were.

He has no sense of smell, which seems to have made him particularly susceptible to bullshît.

redgunamo
01-11-2018, 05:35 PM
He has no sense of smell, which seems to have made him particularly susceptible to bullshît.

Fascinating point. I'd put it down to being an only child of an ambitious single parent (I seem to recall him mentioning it). Spoiled, used to getting their own way/unused to having views challenged properly during the crucial formative years. That sort of thing.

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 10:56 AM
Fascinating point. I'd put it down to being an only child of an ambitious single parent (I seem to recall him mentioning it). Spoiled, used to getting their own way/unused to having views challenged properly during the crucial formative years. That sort of thing.

Yes, that makes sense.

Clearly your parent's vocation has worn off on you, red. Have you figured yourself out yet? ;-)

redgunamo
01-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Yes, that makes sense.

Clearly your parent's vocation has worn off on you, red. Have you figured yourself out yet? ;-)

Of course. There's nothing to work out, that's the whole idea.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 12:22 PM

I must take issue with you slyly disparaging Jorge's intellect. He had a fine intellect, even if he was a little prone to embrace even the most esoteric of liberal orthodoxies. I always found his posts interesting and amusing and his intellect is at least equal to your own and quite possibly more refined.

redgunamo
01-12-2018, 12:28 PM
I must take issue with you slyly disparaging Jorge's intellect. He had a fine intellect, even if he was a little prone to embrace even the most esoteric of liberal orthodoxies. I always found his posts interesting and amusing and his intellect is at least equal to your own and quite possibly more refined.

Right. I'd agree with that. So I just tried to make the point that rather than a question of intellect, it was more a matter of environmental genetics/conditioning.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Jorge had if I recall his account correctly, idealistic parents (parent singular? not sure) who sent him to a North London comp where white kids were minority and were subjected to some quite dreadful bullying. I think it is to his eternal credit he emerged from that experience with his values and ethics in tact.

Ash
01-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Jorge had if I recall his account correctly, idealistic parents (parent singular? not sure) who sent him to a North London comp where white kids were minority and were subjected to some quite dreadful bullying. I think it is to his eternal credit he emerged from that experience with his values and ethics in tact.

I don't think white kids are a minority in William Ellis, a school which pretends to be in Highgate even though it is in Kentish Town. I don't think it's a bad school either, if I recall from my stint working in the education sector.

I will chip in to say that I do also miss Jorge who was a very intelligent, likeable and eloquent bloke who could be great fun at times, when he wasn't demonising everyone who opposed the anti-democratic, prole-hating, House-of-Lords-aligned EU that he so adores. I presume he will be moving there if he hasn't already done so, as he does despise this country with a great passion.

I don't miss him enough to read his daily twitter-rants though.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-12-2018, 01:17 PM
I don't miss him enough to read his daily twitter-rants though.

if Jesus Christ himself returned to earth and started tweeting I still wouldn't bother. A medium I will have no part of.

Am I mixing J up with someone else on here? - possibly Strongy. I know Jorge sustained some quite serious injuries from Irish pikies on a train one time but I know he would still defend their rights to the death. A man of unassailable beliefs and integrity.

Tony C
01-12-2018, 01:20 PM
No relation to the legend that is Strongarm imo :bow:

One of the original Awimbers along with Alf Goonit.

-

Viva Prat Vegas
01-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Anyone who beats up Jorge receives a pardon from him and an understanding of why they kicked the shyte out of him
Apart form the EDL obviously

Ash
01-12-2018, 01:24 PM
if Jesus Christ himself returned to earth and started tweeting I still wouldn't bother. A medium I will have no part of.

Am I mixing J up with someone else on here? - possibly Strongy. I know Jorge sustained some quite serious injuries from Irish pikies on a train one time but I know he would still defend their rights to the death. A man of unassailable beliefs and integrity.

He took a beating or two that he spoke of, but admitted that his gobby lip may have been a bit of provocation.

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Right. I'd agree with that. So I just tried to make the point that rather than a question of intellect, it was more a matter of environmental genetics/conditioning.

I found Jorge to be eloquent but not intellectual. He routinely engaged in arguments/discussions in which he put his view forward in an eloquent manner, however when presented with clear and obvious evidence that the view he was espousing was filled with logical holes, he would invariably resort to whataboutery and deflection, anything to divert the focus away from the fact that he couldn't argue his point logically.

I always assume people like this do so because they lack the intellect required. Possibly his 'conditions' prevented him from using the intellect he possessed. :shrug:

Ash
01-12-2018, 01:29 PM
I found Jorge to be eloquent but not intellectual. He routinely engaged in arguments/discussions in which he put his view forward in an eloquent manner, however when presented with clear and obvious evidence that the view he was espousing was filled with logical holes, he would invariably resort to whataboutery and deflection, anything to divert the focus away from the fact that he couldn't argue his point logically.

I always assume people like this do so because they lack the intellect required. Possibly his 'conditions' prevented him from using the intellect he possessed. :shrug:

He was certainly stubborn. Whether refusing to listen to another point of view precludes the existence of intellect, I'm not sure.

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 01:36 PM
He was certainly stubborn. Whether refusing to listen to another point of view precludes the existence of intellect, I'm not sure.

It wasn't so much that he refused to listen that led me to that conclusion. It was his inability to reply with a cogent, relevant counter point instead of deflecting the focus away from his - clearly illogical - stance.

Anyway, bloke was a nutter so our analysis means little,

redgunamo
01-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Not so much a refusal as an inability, born of the conditions I pointed out before. Twitter seems ideal as it's essentially millions of people shouting from their own rooftop, rather than the more tranquil and gentlemanly Stammtisch that is AWIMB.

imo.

Burney
01-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Not so much a refusal as an inability, born of the conditions I pointed out before. Twitter seems ideal as it's essentially millions of people shouting from their own rooftop, rather than the more tranquil and gentlemanly Stammtisch that is AWIMB.

imo.

WES is right insofar as one could put together a long post taking his assertions apart one by one in detail and he would ignore your points and just respond with ‘Yeah, but what about the monarchy and the House ofLords?’ Or ‘What about Saudi Arabia?’

It became tedious.

World's End Stella
01-12-2018, 01:51 PM
WES is right insofar as one could put together a long post taking his assertions apart one by one in detail and he would ignore your points and just respond with ‘Yeah, but what about the monarchy and the House ofLords?’ Or ‘What about Saudi Arabia?’

It became tedious.

Yes. This. Exactly this. And no one had more experience of this than you I think, Burney. :-)

Although perhaps I am being harsh assuming that this means he was a bit thick.

Ash
01-12-2018, 02:37 PM

It became tedious.

1. Abolish them both.
2. Nuke 'em.

:-)

Joking aside, I watched the Saud thing last night. Not bad, I thought. Not much new there for me (familiar with the Mujahadin they bussed into Bosnia from Afghanistan, and the arms shipments into Syria from E.Europe, support for ISIS etc) but interesting to see what they say about Prince Upside-down next week. The corruption of Prince Al-Waleed may extend way beyond the Saudi and the Middle East. Into the DC swamp itself even, perhaps.

redgunamo
01-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Yes. This. Exactly this. And no one had more experience of this than you I think, Burney. :-)

Although perhaps I am being harsh assuming that this means he was a bit thick.

I think you should all go and follow him on Twitter, to make amends :-)

redgunamo
01-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Into the DC swamp itself even, perhaps.

Indubitably, I reckon. Money doesn't grow on trees, after all.