PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen in Tesco lately the massive stacks of unsold, discounted, Alcohol-Free

Burney
01-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Budweiser? :hehe:

Whose utterly retarded idea was it to try and sell that shít in England over Christmas? They literally cannot give the fücking stuff away. I expect they'll put it in the Food Bank box next - as if the poor and needy didn't have enough problems.

IUFG
01-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Whose utterly retarded idea was it to try and sell that shít in England over Christmas? They literally cannot give the fücking stuff away. I expect they'll put it in the Food Bank box next - as if the poor and needy didn't have enough problems.

Alcohol free beer? what is the ****ing point of that ****?

and it being Budweiser only makes it even worse.

Burney
01-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Alcohol free beer? what is the ****ing point of that ****?

and it being Budweiser only makes it even worse.

They call it 'Prohibition Brew' to try and glamourise it a bit. They're fooling no-one, though. Even the livery looks funereal. :-(

SWv2
01-10-2018, 12:19 PM
They call it 'Prohibition Brew' to try and glamourise it a bit. They're fooling no-one, though. Even the livery looks funereal. :-(

May as well try to sell bottled wee wee.

Burney
01-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Yes. Budweiser's sole redeeming feature is that eventually (I assume) it will get you drunk. Take that away and you simply have a revolting, insipid soft drink.

IUFG
01-10-2018, 12:22 PM

They already do.

https://www.drinksupermarket.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/u/budweiser-premium-american-lager-beer-12-x-660-ml_temp.jpg

PSRB
01-10-2018, 12:27 PM

There's loads of it in our local one stop, I assume they've picked up a load on the cheap as it wasn't being sold in the run up to Christmas and now think Dry January might be an opportunity

Burney
01-10-2018, 12:30 PM
There's loads of it in our local one stop, I assume they've picked up a load on the cheap as it wasn't being sold in the run up to Christmas and now think Dry January might be an opportunity

They were trying to flog it in Tesco in the run-up to Christmas, which just looked like a waste of shelf space to me. The Dry January thing makes more sense, but I can't believe anyone knocking booze on the head for a month is going to be helped by drinking this pïss.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-10-2018, 12:30 PM

Putting the words "Alcohol Free" on Budweiser is like putting a "may contain nuts" warning on a packet of nuts.

PSRB
01-10-2018, 01:01 PM
They were trying to flog it in Tesco in the run-up to Christmas, which just looked like a waste of shelf space to me. The Dry January thing makes more sense, but I can't believe anyone knocking booze on the head for a month is going to be helped by drinking this pïss.

I tried the Becks stuff when the wife was pregnant, it was vile. Did find a reasonably drinkable one in Portugal, no idea what it was called though but wife was happy with it

Luis Anaconda
01-10-2018, 01:35 PM
I tried the Becks stuff when the wife was pregnant, it was vile. Did find a reasonably drinkable one in Portugal, no idea what it was called though but wife was happy with it

It's surprisingly big over here - Klopp is the face of quite a big brand. I believe some of them taste ok. Weißbier in particular lends itself to the alkohol-frei treatment I am led to believe. Wouldn't catch me drinking the filthy stuff though

World's End Stella
01-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Yes. Budweiser's sole redeeming feature is that eventually (I assume) it will get you drunk. Take that away and you simply have a revolting, insipid soft drink.

Most popular lager in England, I was told. :shrug:

Viva Prat Vegas
01-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Anything's better than Stella

Burney
01-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Most popular lager in England, I was told. :shrug:

It used to be Carling, which is also filthy, worthless píss.

Lager drinkers in ‘have no taste’ shocker. :shrug:

World's End Stella
01-10-2018, 01:46 PM
It used to be Carling, which is also filthy, worthless píss.

Lager drinkers in ‘have no taste’ shocker. :shrug:

Whilst I am interested in your opinion on a great many things, Burney, I'm afraid I can't take you seriously when it comes to beer. I recall you saying you enjoy Doombar, a drink so vile that no one with functioning taste buds could possibly claim to like it.

Besides, beer just isn't something to be snobby about. Red wine - yes. Brandy - yes. Beer - no.

I love real ale and lager and Budweiser is really no different than the large majority of lagers. I see no reason to refuse to drink one or the other when both have their merits.

Luis Anaconda
01-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Whilst I am interested in your opinion on a great many things, Burney, I'm afraid I can't take you seriously when it comes to beer. I recall you saying you enjoy Doombar, a drink so vile that no one with functioning taste buds could possibly claim to like it.

Besides, beer just isn't something to be snobby about. Red wine - yes. Brandy - yes. Beer - no.

I love real ale and lager and Budweiser is really no different than the large majority of lagers. I see no reason to refuse to drink one or the other when both have their merits.

Actually lots of people like Doom Bar because it is a decent beer :shrug: Perhaps you were rude to the people who served you it and they put something in it

Ash
01-10-2018, 01:50 PM

This is what we all love about you, WES. Thundering great pomposity bundled with fully-integrated self-cùnting hypocrisy. :thumbup:

Don't ever change.

Viva Prat Vegas
01-10-2018, 01:53 PM
I hope Wesley is :fishing:

Ash
Actually lots of people like Doom Bar because it is a decent beer :shrug: Perhaps you were rude to the people who served you it and they put something in it

I'm hoping 71 is around today. That was practically a declaration of war on his acute regional/national pride.

Sir C

I find Doom Bar delicious :shrug: I find Budweiser repulsive.

It's almost as if matters of personal preference are subjective.

Ash
01-10-2018, 01:54 PM
I hope Wesley is :fishing:

I think so. He was flying the flag for Coors Light once.

SWv2
01-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Only available bottled here and I for one quite enjoy it.

Sir C
01-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Only available bottled here and I for one quite enjoy it.

Sometimes when I drink bitter I get the shíts.

SWv2
01-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Is Doom Bar technically a bitter, or merely an ale?

Burney
01-10-2018, 02:10 PM
I find Doom Bar delicious :shrug: I find Budweiser repulsive.

It's almost as if matters of personal preference are subjective.

No. Because it if WES likes something, it is surefire proof of it being shít. FACT.

Burney
01-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Is Doom Bar technically a bitter, or merely an ale?

It is both. It is a bitter beer and a real ale.

Burney
01-10-2018, 02:11 PM
I think so. He was flying the flag for Coors Light once.

I fear I've upset his Canadian national pride by pointing out that Carling is a crime against beer.

Burney
01-10-2018, 02:11 PM

How much do you have to drink for this phenomenon to occur?

World's End Stella
01-10-2018, 02:12 PM
This is what we all love about you, WES. Thundering great pomposity bundled with fully-integrated self-cùnting hypocrisy. :thumbup:

Don't ever change.

No hypocrisy whatsoever, Ash. Burney condemned all lager and all lager drinkers whereas I made it clear that I am open to both and enjoy both tremendously. I pointed out a beer that he enjoys that I find undrinkable to demonstrate that it's all about opinions in the end.

As I said, beer is nothing to be snobby about and I'm sure that everyone would agree that all 'snobby' beer drinkers are real ale drinkers. I have yet to meet a lager drinker who would disparage real ale in the way that virtually all CAMRA weirdos do about lager.

SWv2
01-10-2018, 02:14 PM
How much do you have to drink for this phenomenon to occur?

Ten pints of anything will result in healthy and robust bowel movements the following day.

:nod:

World's End Stella
No. Because it if WES likes something, it is surefire proof of it being shít. FACT.

You mean like Arsenal?

Oh, hold on... :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
Prune beer is known to shift the system

Viva Prat Vegas
01-10-2018, 02:16 PM
Wesley have you ever considered going on a coach trip or a cruise ?

Burney
01-10-2018, 02:16 PM
Ten pints of anything will result in healthy and robust bowel movements the following day.

:nod:

I now have about a dozen bottles of homemade cider maturing on my shelves at home. I am curious to find out what its effects on my digestive system will be. I suspect the effects of the early stuff (before I honed my technique) will be deleterious. :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
01-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Have you stopped worrying about that sludgy white film on top of your brew ?

Ash
01-10-2018, 02:20 PM
No hypocrisy whatsoever, Ash.

:nono: You sneered at a beer, and insulted anyone who liked it, and then turned round and castigated beer snobbery in the next sentence. :shrug:

World's End Stella
01-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Prune beer is known to shift the system

Don't need to, SOD. I believe Doombar is made by the same people as Atlantic, is it not?

Quite wonderful stuff is Atlantic, probably my favourite at my local. I have also recently discovered Harveys as my local began serving it, also quite wonderful.

But Doombar has a vile, acrid finish which makes me nauseous. The sort of bitter that gives bitter a bad name, for me.

World's End Stella
01-10-2018, 02:21 PM
:nono: You sneered at a beer, and insulted anyone who liked it, and then turned round and castigated beer snobbery in the next sentence. :shrug:

Real ale > lager = snobbery

Beer ABC is sh1t = personal opinion

Burney
01-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Have you stopped worrying about that sludgy white film on top of your brew ?

That was on the rhubarb stuff and is apparently quite normal. I panicked, however and used a campden tablet to stop fermentation. This resulted in a pleasant, but light beverage. I've made no such compromises on my cider, which seems to range from about 6.5% to 8% depending on the batch. I made some with pear and apples that I think may be my best so far.

Burney
01-10-2018, 02:29 PM

There is no doubt that real ale has vastly more complex flavours and notes than bog-standard pub lager, which apart from anything else, is too cold to taste anyway. You might as well compare water with ale. So, if we are talking about flavour, then yes, real ale is better than lager because it actually has some. Not snobbery. Fact.

If you happen to prefer lager, that's fine. However, there is no denying that it is a vastly less sophisticated and nuanced drink than ale.

Ash
01-10-2018, 02:30 PM

I actually find that my experiences of ales varies from day to day, depending on my shifting climate of micro-taste. Sometimes a love a dark, malty, even chocolatey number, other times a lighter, less busy taste and occasionally* even a zingier model.

* actually not very often.

Burney
01-10-2018, 02:31 PM
I actually find that my experiences of ales varies from day to day, depending on my shifting climate of micro-taste. Sometimes a love a dark, malty, even chocolatey number, other times a lighter, less busy taste and occasionally* even a zingier model.

* actually not very often.

I'm very much a quaffing man. The dark, malty, chocolatey numbers have never really done it for me.

SWv2
01-10-2018, 02:33 PM
I now have about a dozen bottles of homemade cider maturing on my shelves at home. I am curious to find out what its effects on my digestive system will be. I suspect the effects of the early stuff (before I honed my technique) will be deleterious. :-(

I expect this will go through you like the proverbial dose of salts.

At least drinking it in the sanctity of your own kitchen will allow for hasty relocation the shítter as required.

Luis Anaconda
01-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Don't need to, SOD. I believe Doombar is made by the same people as Atlantic, is it not?

Quite wonderful stuff is Atlantic, probably my favourite at my local. I have also recently discovered Harveys as my local began serving it, also quite wonderful.

But Doombar has a vile, acrid finish which makes me nauseous. The sort of bitter that gives bitter a bad name, for me.

Had a pint of Harveys when I was home - first time I've seen it in ages. It is certainly a fine pint.
And I would agree Atlantic is a fine pint and much nicer than Doom Bar. Still don't get your particular criticism of it - if anything it's rather bland

Burney
01-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Had a pint of Harveys when I was home - first time I've seen it in ages. It is certainly a fine pint.
And I would agree Atlantic is a fine pint and much nicer than Doom Bar. Still don't get your particular criticism of it - if anything it's rather bland

:nod: I'd agree, but it's decent for drinking in quantity. Must admit I personally find Harvey's a little too floral for my tastes. I'll drink it happily enough, but it's not my favourite. I think a deeply underrated pint is Young's Ordinary.

Luis Anaconda
01-10-2018, 02:48 PM
:nod: I'd agree, but it's decent for drinking in quantity. Must admit I personally find Harvey's a little too floral for my tastes. I'll drink it happily enough, but it's not my favourite. I think a deeply underrated pint is Young's Ordinary.

I've always liked Young's. Used to have proper pubs as well. Quite depressing wandering through London recently - it was like walking through a graveyard of places I used to drink

World's End Stella
01-10-2018, 03:16 PM

My local always has Doombar :-(

And it always has either Harveys or Young's Ordinary. I find the latter thin and slightly watery, lacking in flavor. The third pint is rotated as per the brewery's rules i.e. it can only come from certain other brewerys. Which is sh1t. The other day it wasa Warringtons, a golden ale that tasted like watery grapefruit juice. Absolutely vile.

If only my local was a freehold. :-(

World's End Stella
01-10-2018, 03:20 PM
There is no doubt that real ale has vastly more complex flavours and notes than bog-standard pub lager, which apart from anything else, is too cold to taste anyway. You might as well compare water with ale. So, if we are talking about flavour, then yes, real ale is better than lager because it actually has some. Not snobbery. Fact.

If you happen to prefer lager, that's fine. However, there is no denying that it is a vastly less sophisticated and nuanced drink than ale.

There is some truth to that but I think you overstate it.

Lager has more taste than you give it credit for and on a hot sunny day there is simply no comparison. Also, even a bad lager can be enjoyable under the right circumstances whereas I have had real ales that made me want to spit them out.

So no, real ale is not better, merely different and a chap should be able to enjoy both.