PDA

View Full Version : As of today the Berlin Wall has been down longer than it was up.

Sir C
01-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Spare a thought for all those mourning the loss of the Soviet Utopia. :-( Poor Jeremy, Owen and peter :-(

Burney
01-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Spare a thought for all those mourning the loss of the Soviet Utopia. :-( Poor Jeremy, Owen and peter :-(

Gosh. For some reason, that thought makes me feel very old. :-(

Luis Anaconda
01-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Gosh. For some reason, that thought makes me feel very old. :-(

I had the same feeling when reading an article on Rob Lee's two sons playing for Luton against Newcastle. The oldest is 26. I thought Rob Lee only retired a couple of seasons back :(

Burney
01-05-2018, 11:21 AM
I had the same feeling when reading an article on Rob Lee's two sons playing for Luton against Newcastle. The oldest is 26. I thought Rob Lee only retired a couple of seasons back :(

He did always look rather old, though.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-05-2018, 11:24 AM

first time in 45 years recently and have to admit, I missed the wall. Checkpoint Charlie even had people inaccurately dressed as GI's for selfies. Walking through a pristine Brandenburg Gate was bizarre given I knew it as a grim edifice standing in the Death Strip, riddled with bullet holes and Hitler's bunker still in sight.

Burney
01-05-2018, 11:30 AM
first time in 45 years recently and have to admit, I missed the wall. Checkpoint Charlie even had people inaccurately dressed as GI's for selfies. Walking through a pristine Brandenburg Gate was bizarre given I knew it as a grim edifice standing in the Death Strip, riddled with bullet holes and Hitler's bunker still in sight.

Apart from anything else, without the wall, it's a rather unremarkable city.

Granted, it may have been rather more interesting before we, the Yanks and the Russians smashed the ever-living shît out of it.

Sir C
01-05-2018, 11:34 AM

Yes, I haven't been back since the 80s. The whole place really was a living Le Carré novel back in the day.

Never mind. Corbyn will soon Ceaucescu our arses into poverty, malnutrition and denunciation for impure thoughts.

Burney
01-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Yes, I haven't been back since the 80s. The whole place really was a living Le Carré novel back in the day.

Never mind. Corbyn will soon Ceaucescu our arses into poverty, malnutrition and denunciation for impure thoughts.

Have you seen where he's been on his hollibobs?

https://order-order.com/2018/01/05/corbyn-jolly-trotskys-house-mexico-city/

Ash
01-05-2018, 11:36 AM

:music:
You can keep your Brussels and Amsterdam
Give me back my summer in Dresden, Man
But they still got police bullies over there
Drawing lines on a map just to show I'm there
Gee, (G.) I'm (M.) living (B.H.) in a bear cage

Official vid not on Youtube, sadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGwgXUpIld0

Burney
01-05-2018, 11:38 AM

They say Dresden was very beautiful until that unfortunate business where we had to blow the fück out of it. :-(

Sir C
01-05-2018, 11:39 AM

That's nice, a. :-(

Sir C
01-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Have you seen where he's been on his hollibobs?

https://order-order.com/2018/01/05/corbyn-jolly-trotskys-house-mexico-city/

Whose responsibility is it, do you think? As a homegorwn threat you'd imagine 5 would b tasked with pulling the trigger, but as he's financed by Iran and (probably) Cuba and Venezuela, SIS must be itching to set the scalphunters onto him. Maybe they would be too obvious and the job should be leftto that organisation which doesn't exist, Defence of the Realm?

Burney
01-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Whose responsibility is it, do you think? As a homegorwn threat you'd imagine 5 would b tasked with pulling the trigger, but as he's financed by Iran and (probably) Cuba and Venezuela, SIS must be itching to set the scalphunters onto him. Maybe they would be too obvious and the job should be leftto that organisation which doesn't exist, Defence of the Realm?

Well MI5 absolutely insist they don't kill people, but they would say that, wouldn't they? And there was that odd business a few years ago when all those chaps who'd worked on some defence IT project kept dying in mysterious circumstances, so who knows?

If they'd any sense, they'd set up some far right nutters to do the job. Plausible deniability and all that.

Sir C
01-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Well MI5 absolutely insist they don't kill people, but they would say that, wouldn't they? And there was that odd business a few years ago when all those chaps who'd worked on some defence IT project kept dying in mysterious circumstances, so who knows?

If they'd any sense, they'd set up some far right nutters to do the job. Plausible deniability and all that.

Maybe they'd outsource it to one of those amazingly polite chaps at Hereford. They're usually reliable.

redgunamo
01-05-2018, 11:50 AM

And the Germans too, of course #RebuildTheWall

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-05-2018, 02:31 PM

I lived in the middle of the Berlin Wall in summer '95. It was a traveller site called East Side Gallery. Loved it. It had been squatted since the rest of the wall came down and the new, united Germany just left all the punks and travellers there.

Really hot that summer. '95, not '89. Heaven, in fact.

01-05-2018, 02:37 PM

Well, it came out with the offical releases this Xmas that the UVF told the Paddy PM that we'd asked them to off him for us.

And when the Orange Jihadis say we've gone too far, we probably have.

Burney
01-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Well, it came out with the offical releases this Xmas that the UVF told the Paddy PM that we'd asked them to off him for us.

And when the Orange Jihadis say we've gone too far, we probably have.

I'd ask the lads at Mossad if they fancied a crack at the vile old anti-semite. They'd probably take great pleasure in helping us out.

01-05-2018, 03:19 PM
I'd ask the lads at Mossad if they fancied a crack at the vile old anti-semite. They'd probably take great pleasure in helping us out.

Oh, I'll chip in, B. Go halves?