PDA

View Full Version : Santa brought me a Legends Stadium Tour with Perry Groves, which I took yesterday.

Ash
01-03-2018, 01:28 PM
It was supposed to be Charlie George, but he was ill, so we got Perry Groves, who was very good.

Some of the script was a bit dated though. The bit about new sponsorship deals meaning we didn't have to sell our best players every year. :-| In fairness he added that whoever was responsible for "those two's contracts running down needed shooting".

Our little petals really are pampered, as if we didn't know. The detail of the design of the dressing room and preparation to stop the little blighters having to worry about anything is ridicules. Perhaps that's why we are so much better at home than away at the moment. Without the Feng Shui designed, temperature-controlled, horseshoe-shaped rooms and vibrating massage sink pools to which they are accustomed, a trip to the Hawthorns is far too uncomfortable to expect them to play football properly.

World's End Stella
01-03-2018, 01:37 PM
It was supposed to be Charlie George, but he was ill, so we got Perry Groves, who was very good.

Some of the script was a bit dated though. The bit about new sponsorship deals meaning we didn't have to sell our best players every year. :-| In fairness he added that whoever was responsible for "those two's contracts running down needed shooting".

Our little petals really are pampered, as if we didn't know. The detail of the design of the dressing room and preparation to stop the little blighters having to worry about anything is ridicules. Perhaps that's why we are so much better at home than away at the moment. Without the Feng Shui designed, temperature-controlled, horseshoe-shaped rooms and vibrating massage sink pools to which they are accustomed, a trip to the Hawthorns is far too uncomfortable to expect them to play football properly.

I had Charlie who was my childhood hero, still have a photograph of him with Master WES overlooking the stadium. :cloud9:

But Charlie was a better player than a tour guide by some distance. The usual repartee and crap jokes got tired by the end of it and I found myself yearning for some corporate insight no matter how self-serving it was.

Burney
01-03-2018, 01:48 PM

I would like to know what they pay them for that gig.

I can never look at Perry Groves without thinking about that time he was booed at Highbury in 88/89 during an olé style period of passing when every other player was roundly cheered. :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 01:51 PM

I can never look at Perry Groves without thinking about that time he was booed at Highbury in 88/89 during an olé style period of passing when every other player was roundly cheered. :hehe:
Hang on - we managed an ole period of passing on that pitch? Kin hell - that would have been impressive

SWv2
01-03-2018, 01:53 PM

Stretching the boundaries of Legend with Perry though he is not shy in putting himself forward in this respect.

World's End Stella
01-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Judging by what Charlie was wearing and how he looked, I'm guessing not a lot.

Burney
01-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Hang on - we managed an ole period of passing on that pitch? Kin hell - that would have been impressive

It was against West Ham, who were clearly exhausted and half of whom appeared to be overweight. They literally couldn't even find the energy to kick us at that stage.

Burney
01-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Stretching the boundaries of Legend with Perry though he is not shy in putting himself forward in this respect.

He was legendarily shīte. He was Ray Parlour with all the ability (and hair) removed.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 02:33 PM
It was against West Ham, who were clearly exhausted and half of whom appeared to be overweight. They literally couldn't even find the energy to kick us at that stage.

Ah yes - rings a bell now. Not long after they had knocked us out of the FA Cup we beat them in the league

Burney
01-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Ah yes - rings a bell now. Not long after they had knocked us out of the FA Cup we beat them in the league

That's right. I was at the first of those games at West Ham, too. I was in the West Ham end and had to stay very quiet as we came back from two down. The good old days of replays meant we went out rather than going to penalties, of course.

Odd thing about watching as much West Ham as I did Arsenal that season was seeing Brady play for them. At one point, he elbowed someone in the face quite viciously. They got relegated that season.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 02:46 PM
That's right. I was at the first of those games at West Ham, too. I was in the West Ham end and had to stay very quiet as we came back from two down. The good old days of replays meant we went out rather than going to penalties, of course.

Odd thing about watching as much West Ham as I did Arsenal that season was seeing Brady play for them. At one point, he elbowed someone in the face quite viciously. They got relegated that season.

There were almost fights on the North Bank when a group started abusing Brady during that replay. Nasty night all round. Our Liam did have a bit of a temper in his latter playing days. Missed out on Euro 88 after getting sent off in a qualifier I seem to recall as well

Burney
01-03-2018, 02:50 PM
There were almost fights on the North Bank when a group started abusing Brady during that replay. Nasty night all round. Our Liam did have a bit of a temper in his latter playing days. Missed out on Euro 88 after getting sent off in a qualifier I seem to recall as well

That was also the season when they amusingly re-signed Frank McAvennie to save them from relegation - snatching him from under our noses in the process, supposedly - only for him to score not one single fücking goal and for them to go down anyway. :hehe:

SWv2
01-03-2018, 03:27 PM

Would have missed 2 of the group matches but was also struggling with injuries at the time so while the former was held up the latter was as relevant. We probably would have won the whole thing had he played.

Of course he had at the best of times a very fractious relationship with Charlton who famously subbed him before half-time during a friendly in Dublin, some say in the ultimate act of trying to belittle the great man in front of his own.

Charlton OUT!

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 03:28 PM
That was also the season when they amusingly re-signed Frank McAvennie to save them from relegation - snatching him from under our noses in the process, supposedly - only for him to score not one single fücking goal and for them to go down anyway. :hehe:

Happy Days, b

Burney
01-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Would have missed 2 of the group matches but was also struggling with injuries at the time so while the former was held up the latter was as relevant. We probably would have won the whole thing had he played.

Of course he had at the best of times a very fractious relationship with Charlton who famously subbed him before half-time during a friendly in Dublin, some say in the ultimate act of trying to belittle the great man in front of his own.

Charlton OUT!

Well he'd never really have fit into a Charlton side anyway, would he? As I recall, Jack never had a lot of time for skilful playmakers.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 03:30 PM

Charlton OUT!

Yes - Germany (West) before the World Cup, at which point Saint Liam said **** it. Was struggling with injuries then as well I recall. What would you give for such a player now. Instead you have Robbie Brady

Burney
01-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Yes - Germany (West) before the World Cup, at which point Saint Liam said **** it. Was struggling with injuries then as well I recall. What would you give for such a player now. Instead you have Robbie Brady

They had a goalkeeper called 'Packie', mind. :hehe:

SWv2
01-03-2018, 03:38 PM

Don't give it the big one pal.

Jordan fúcking Henderson.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Don't give it the big one pal.

Jordan fúcking Henderson.

Who's in your World Cup group, again?

SWv2
01-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Who's in your World Cup group, again?

Australia, Peru and Denmark

:shrug:

Vive!

Burney
01-03-2018, 03:50 PM

Vive!

Imagine getting knocked out by a team called The Socceroos, though. :-(

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 04:06 PM

Vive!
:( You could at least support our German(s)

Ash
01-03-2018, 04:12 PM

Manu Eboue will be doing stadium tours in 20 years. Dressed in a tiger costume.

Burney
01-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Manu Eboue will be doing stadium tours in 20 years. Dressed in a tiger costume.

I saw that his woman done him wrong and the divorce done him up like a kipper. :-( Poor old Eboue.

Mind you, I bet he's an annoying fücker to live with.