PDA

View Full Version : ooooh, well done Arsene

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 02:27 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42542576

:clap:

Quite right that we shouldn't let that horrible little c*nt Dean get away with this too easily.

PSRB
01-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Quite right that we shouldn't let that horrible little c*nt Dean get away with this too easily.

Talksport doing their usual stirring for clicks
talkSPORTDrive Retweeted
Alan Biggs
‏Verified account @AlanBiggs1
7m7 minutes ago

Alan Biggs Retweeted talkSPORT

His public comments were dangerous as well. Even if the decision he complained about was wrong. The fact is managers can’t say a referee has seen what he wants to see. The implications are too serious. Not to say unjustified and unfair.

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 02:37 PM

Even Henry Winter can see what a cheating despicable **** Dean is, which I believe was the undercurrent of his piece today. He was even respectful of Arsene's views which was a pleasant change

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Even Henry Winter can see what a cheating despicable **** Dean is, which I believe was the undercurrent of his piece today. He was even respectful of Arsene's views which was a pleasant change

I have only seen/read Winter almost openly question a referee like that twice with regard to Arsenal.

Yesterday with Dean, and Mike Riley after the 50th game at OT when he referred to him as (I paraphrase) 'an honest referee in wretched form'.

Which effectively meant 'cheat'.

Burney
01-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Yeah, but still... Henry Winter. :-(

The same Henry Winter who last year complained that Mark Clattenburg hadn't been mentioned in the New Year's Honours.

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 02:50 PM
Yeah, but still... Henry Winter. :-(

The same Henry Winter who last year complained that Mark Clattenburg hadn't been mentioned in the New Year's Honours.

Yes - he's still a ****. I was almost tempted to comment on this particular gem yesterday:
"Guardiola is right. Some contact, clearly, has to be allowed but “there are limits”, as he says. Anything that endangers a player needs proper sanction from the referee. English football spent most of the second half of 2017 watching City in awe but insufficient time actually listening to Guardiola. A timely new year’s resolution for English football is for Guardiola’s plea to be heeded."

Imagine if another manager had been saying this for years and been ignored/ridiculed for being a soft French manager

IUFG
01-02-2018, 02:52 PM
His public comments were dangerous as well. Even if the decision he complained about was wrong. The fact is managers can’t say a referee has seen what he wants to see. The implications are too serious. Not to say unjustified and unfair.

not withstanding Mark Clattenburg admitting he did not apply the rules/laws of the game in the Chelsea - Spurs match (when Spurs season nearly did its final lap in the clown's car) :rolleyes:

I haven't read or heard of a single journo / pundit who thinks it was a pelanty and Dean was correct.

Sir C
01-02-2018, 02:54 PM

I've never really been one for knowing one football 'journalist' from another, to be honest, feeling that writing about games isn't really Hunter Thompson territory, but one I have noticed recently is this Duncan Castles fellow. He appears to be some sort of Mourinho mouthpiece. Can this be some sort of financial arrangement, with the Portuguese knobhead paying for Castles to blwo sunshine up his arse?

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 02:56 PM
not withstanding Mark Clattenburg admitting he did not apply the rules/laws of the game in the Chelsea - Spurs match (when Spurs season nearly did its final lap in the clown's car) :rolleyes:

I haven't read or heard of a single journo / pundit who thinks it was a pelanty and Dean was correct.

Credit to that rat faced, Reyes kicking, little weasel Neville for his contemptuous description of the 'penalty'.

If only the Sky cretins in October 2004 had had the courage to describe what was actually happening on the pitch with Riley that day.

Not that I'm still bitter about it, of course. :-(

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 03:00 PM
I've never really been one for knowing one football 'journalist' from another, to be honest, feeling that writing about games isn't really Hunter Thompson territory, but one I have noticed recently is this Duncan Castles fellow. He appears to be some sort of Mourinho mouthpiece. Can this be some sort of financial arrangement, with the Portuguese knobhead paying for Castles to blwo sunshine up his arse?
Not sure Mourinho pays him but he it is well-known anything he writes comes straight from the Whining One's mouth, hence Castle is employed by newspapers who want that inside scoop. Haven't come across any other manager/journalist relationship quite like it though

Sir C
01-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Not sure Mourinho pays him but he it is well-known anything he writes comes straight from the Whining One's mouth, hence Castle is employed by newspapers who want that inside scoop. Haven't come across any other manager/journalist relationship quite like it though

Oh, it's a known thing, is it? I'm glad I'm not imagnining it.

IUFG
01-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Credit to that rat faced, Reyes kicking, little weasel Neville for his contemptuous description of the 'penalty'.

If only the Sky cretins in October 2004 had had the courage to describe what was actually happening on the pitch with Riley that day.

Not that I'm still bitter about it, of course. :-(

Bitter? I still seethe about that reffing...

Riley? :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM747L9Wf8M

painful, but every time you watch it you find more evidence that Riley was on their ****ing payroll...

PSRB
01-02-2018, 03:06 PM

I thought it was a United thing, rather than just Mourinho, no?

Burney
01-02-2018, 03:07 PM

Pretty sure Ferguson had about four or five scribblers who hung slavishly upon his every word.

Ahhh, now I've started thinking about Alex Ferguson and how much I still hate him. :-(

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Oh, it's a known thing, is it? I'm glad I'm not imagnining it.
He voted for Mourinho for coach of the year in the Fifa awards last year. For winning the Europa League and League Cup and finishing sixth. Above Zinedine Zidane, first coach to win back back Champions League titles to name but one worthy candidate

Burney
01-02-2018, 03:09 PM

painful, but every time you watch it you find more evidence that Riley was on their ****ing payroll...

I don't even think he was paid. I think he just wanted them to win and us to lose and set about ensuring that was what happened.

Not sure whether that makes it better or worse, tbh.

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 03:11 PM
I thought it was a United thing, rather than just Mourinho, no?

Nope - the connection comes through Jorge Mendes (I believe). Used to be a decent writer

Sir C
01-02-2018, 03:11 PM
I don't even think he was paid. I think he just wanted them to win and us to lose and set about ensuring that was what happened.

Not sure whether that makes it better or worse, tbh.

Of course, Mike Dean is his mini me and has continued his work.

Something is rotten there.

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 03:12 PM

I can no longer watch that. :nono:

I did a few times and then realized what it was doing to my blood pressure.

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Pretty sure Ferguson had about four or five scribblers who hung slavishly upon his every word.

Ahhh, now I've started thinking about Alex Ferguson and how much I still hate him. :-(

Undoubtedly, particularly the Manchester-based ones some of whom were Utd fans (though bearing in mind he once refused to talk to his own club's , and he was there an awfully long time. Castles is a Scottish based writer who had no real connection with Utd before Mourinho came in.

Burney
01-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Of course, Mike Dean is his mini me and has continued his work.

Something is rotten there.

It's referees in general. Look at them. They're the sort of narcissistic sneaks who were despised at school and never had girlfriends, but nonetheless retained a mystifying sense of their own superiority. Thus, as adults they seek out positions of public authority where they can lord it over others while cravenly siding with where they perceive the power to lie.

Basically, they're all power-mad sexual and social inadequates and I have very little doubt that many of them are charlie chesters.

Burney
01-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Undoubtedly, particularly the Manchester-based ones some of whom were Utd fans (though bearing in mind he once refused to talk to his own club's , and he was there an awfully long time. Castles is a Scottish based writer who had no real connection with Utd before Mourinho came in.

Yes. I used to harbour particularly dark fantasies about what I'd do with ten minutes alone with Oliver Holt and a Black & Decker hammer drill. :cloud9:

PSRB
01-02-2018, 03:28 PM

The previous sports editor at the MEN is a huge United fan and everything was ridiculously pro United to ensure he got access to the club. His twitter comments are actually far more damning of the club, now that he's left

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 03:29 PM
It's referees in general. Look at them. They're the sort of narcissistic sneaks who were despised at school and never had girlfriends, but nonetheless retained a mystifying sense of their own superiority. Thus, as adults they seek out positions of public authority where they can lord it over others while cravenly siding with where they perceive the power to lie.

Basically, they're all power-mad sexual and social inadequates and I have very little doubt that many of them are charlie chesters.

See also Immigration officials. :nod:

Think about it, who in their right mind would want to sit there doing that?

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 03:33 PM
The previous sports editor at the MEN is a huge United fan and everything was ridiculously pro United to ensure he got access to the club. His twitter comments are actually far more damning of the club, now that he's left

Yes - as we well know, "fans" (or ex-players) can be the harshest critics, while those with no connections to the club can be the biggest cheerleaders. Dear old Dorset would never accept that Daniel Taylor wasn't a United fan, merely someone whose job relied on covering the club, despite me proving to him that Taylor was a Forest supporter from Nottingham who had written books on being a Nottingham Forest fan

Burney
01-02-2018, 03:34 PM
See also Immigration officials. :nod:

Think about it, who in their right mind would want to sit there doing that?

It's the same syndrome, but crucially, football refereeing (at the top level in particular) gives them a huge stage upon which to display their inordinate egotistical cüntery. This is crucial. You have to bear in mind that, when you're booing a referee, he's almost certainly getting sexual pleasure from it and has as huge an erection as his shrivelled and useless manhood will allow.

Peter
01-02-2018, 03:37 PM

I find it incredible that any of our players shook hands with the ref or any of the United players after that. I would have been looking to kill someone.

IUFG
01-02-2018, 03:38 PM
It's the same syndrome, but crucially, football refereeing (at the top level in particular) gives them a huge stage upon which to display their inordinate egotistical cüntery. This is crucial. You have to bear in mind that, when you're booing a referee, he's almost certainly getting sexual pleasure from it and has as huge an erection as his shrivelled and useless manhood will allow.

are you suggesting that the man in the middle of this photo has a tiny todger, b?

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/8e3c33d9-7114-42a3-8046-2292f8c52700/fa5d82ba-9422-4d7f-8921-9410efae7167.jpg

Burney
01-02-2018, 03:40 PM
are you suggesting that the man in the middle of this photo has a tiny todger, b?

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/8e3c33d9-7114-42a3-8046-2292f8c52700/fa5d82ba-9422-4d7f-8921-9410efae7167.jpg

:nod: Absolutely.

Why would you think otherwise? Hmmm?

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 03:40 PM

:nod: and now the proliferation of them with TV spots or with their own newspaper columns (Foy, Webb, Gallagher, Poll, Halsey, Clattenburg - did I miss anyone) is showing them up to be the attention seeking pricks we all knew them to be. Which makes the lack of access after a game to the ones actually still going even more of a farce.

Speaking of attention seekers - who can forget this ****

http://www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk

Peter
01-02-2018, 03:45 PM

My parents gave me some of my old school reports over Christmas and you can see the same syndrome there. Some of the ****ers just put in a nasty comment for the sake of getting you in trouble. 'Peter is able at French but unfortunately he is also lazy and disruptive with a poor attitude'. ****ers.

Best of all was 'Peter is not a brilliant mathematician...'- with respect mate, neither are you- you are a gym teacher who does a bit of second year maths on the side. I wouldn't trust you to score a game of darts.

The words lazy, indisciplined, indifferent, disruptive, antagonistic made a lot of appearances..... lazy and indisciplined are fine but the others are just not true. ****ers.

Burney
01-02-2018, 03:47 PM
:nod: and now the proliferation of them with TV spots or with their own newspaper columns (Foy, Webb, Gallagher, Poll, Halsey, Clattenburg - did I miss anyone) is showing them up to be the attention seeking pricks we all knew them to be. Which makes the lack of access after a game to the ones actually still going even more of a farce.

Poll was the first to take this route, of course.

God, I hated Graham Poll. I remember that game against Newcastle when that senile old prick Bobby Robson decided to give us a lecture on sportsmanship for daring to complain after that preening cünt had given his team the game.

Any vestige of liking I may ever have had for Bobby Robson disappeared that night.

Burney
01-02-2018, 03:48 PM
My parents gave me some of my old school reports over Christmas and you can see the same syndrome there. Some of the ****ers just put in a nasty comment for the sake of getting you in trouble. 'Peter is able at French but unfortunately he is also lazy and disruptive with a poor attitude'. ****ers.

Best of all was 'Peter is not a brilliant mathematician...'- with respect mate, neither are you- you are a gym teacher who does a bit of second year maths on the side. I wouldn't trust you to score a game of darts.

The words lazy, indisciplined, indifferent, disruptive, antagonistic made a lot of appearances..... lazy and indisciplined are fine but the others are just not true. ****ers.

I've never known you to be indifferent, certainly.

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 03:50 PM

I'll always have a soft spot for Winter, though.

FA Cup, at Old Trafford, horse faced c*nt, Scholes and others start kicking us, Winter gets the cards out early doors, Man Utd 0-2 Arsenal. Good ole Jeff. :-)

Burney
01-02-2018, 03:55 PM

I saw one of my old primary school reports a couple of years ago. My headmaster said 'It is clear that Burney is not destined to be one of the hewers of wood and drawers of water...'.

In other words 'Most of the pond life I'm forced to teach will end up dead by 30, on the dole and/or in prison. This one might actually get a half-decent job if the other feral cünts don't kill him first. Well done.'. :hehe: He'd probably get sacked for a comment like that these days.

Mind you, the school was in Thornton Heath, so you can see his point.

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:01 PM
I saw one of my old primary school reports a couple of years ago. My headmaster said 'It is clear that Burney is not destined to be one of the hewers of wood and drawers of water...'.

In other words 'Most of the pond life I'm forced to teach will end up dead by 30, on the dole and/or in prison. This one might actually get a half-decent job if the other feral cünts don't kill him first. Well done.'. :hehe: He'd probably get sacked for a comment like that these days.

Mind you, the school was in Thornton Heath, so you can see his point.

See, that is nice. Mine were all basically'Peter is a bit of a **** and not as clever as he thinks he is'. This is totally unfair. I was a pretty quiet kid, nowhere near as much of a **** as those around me and I certainly didn't think I was clever.

My old history teacher stuck it to me in every report, regardless of results. Lazy, no effort, doesnt listen to criticism. Not true, he just didnt like me because he hated my sister. What a ****.

My poor parents, having to read those reports and go to parents evenings :) I am surprised they still speak to me.....

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:03 PM
I'll always have a soft spot for Winter, though.

FA Cup, at Old Trafford, horse faced c*nt, Scholes and others start kicking us, Winter gets the cards out early doors, Man Utd 0-2 Arsenal. Good ole Jeff. :-)

Exactly the same has to be said of another total ****- Durkin. When we won the league there 1-0 he booked four united players in the first half hour and they had no choice but to back off. This is exactly how you refereee a game where one team has a clear plan to hack away at the other. THey all know they can only keep doing it until they are booked.

A ref who cant spot what is going on shouldn't be on the pitch.

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Exactly the same has to be said of another total ****- Durkin. When we won the league there 1-0 he booked four united players in the first half hour and they had no choice but to back off. This is exactly how you refereee a game where one team has a clear plan to hack away at the other. THey all know they can only keep doing it until they are booked.

Yeah but he sent off Gio for a non-dive at Anfield and then refused to even book their keeper for taking out someone as they were through on goal. Gave the pen, mind.

Anyway, he's still a small minded ginger c*nt as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 04:06 PM

Yeah, but I'll never forgive him for that Liverpool game when he sent off Gio and then failed to send off Henchoz for a clear professional foul.
"Not every foul is a red card, Claire". ****

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:07 PM
Poll was the first to take this route, of course.

God, I hated Graham Poll. I remember that game against Newcastle when that senile old prick Bobby Robson decided to give us a lecture on sportsmanship for daring to complain after that preening cünt had given his team the game.

Any vestige of liking I may ever have had for Bobby Robson disappeared that night.

'Some people need to learn how to lose' :)

Piece of ****. Not only did Poll cost us the game but he got Henry charged for doing nothing other than ask him to explain his decisions at the end of the game. THree game ban if I remember correctly.

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Yeah but he sent off Gio for a non-dive at Anfield and then refused to even book their keeper for taking out someone as they were through on goal. Gave the pen, mind.

Oh dont get me wrong, I hated the ****. Didnt he also send off Petit for touching him? ****er.

Still.... he got it right on one important night and didnt give in to United's game plan. You have to give him a little bit of credit for that.

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 04:10 PM
'Some people need to learn how to lose' :)

Piece of ****. Not only did Poll cost us the game but he got Henry charged for doing nothing other than ask him to explain his decisions at the end of the game. THree game ban if I remember correctly.

Yeah but ultimately that was because he couldn't tell the difference between Graham Poll and Steve Dunn.

Which is insane because Graham Poll was a fat, middle aged, slightly dim, white c*nt with an attitude while Steve Dunn was a....ah well, poor Thierry. :-)

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 04:13 PM

It was Freddie - I could understand that one as Freddie had taken it away from goal but you saw red as often as not in those days for that. The Henchoz one was a blatant professional foul on the best striker in the league - utter disgrace it wasn't a red

Burney
01-02-2018, 04:15 PM
It was Freddie - I could understand that one as Freddie had taken it away from goal but you saw red as often as not in those days for that. The Henchoz one was a blatant professional foul on the best striker in the league - utter disgrace it wasn't a red

Aaaaagh! Now I've remembered Henchoz's handball in the Cup Final :furious:

What cünt was reffing that?

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:16 PM

Just be grateful we got the penalty.

Riley's refusal to even acknowledge Rio's flattening of Freddie in that Old TRafford game is the most obvious example of a bent ref. It is so blatant that the force Rio uses to bundle him over even knocks himself over- nothing given, play on.

Perfect, unobstructed view as well. Quite incredible.

Burney
01-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Just be grateful we got the penalty.

Riley's refusal to even acknowledge Rio's flattening of Freddie in that Old TRafford game is the most obvious example of a bent ref. It is so blatant that the force Rio uses to bundle him over even knocks himself over- nothing given, play on.

Perfect, unobstructed view as well. Quite incredible.

van Nistelrooy's out-and-out assault on Cole was pretty heinous as well iirc.

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:26 PM

Indeed, although you can hardly blame Riley for the fact that the linesman, standing less than a yard away and looking directly at it, chose to ignore it. Although worth noting that Riley doesnt approach him or consult him in any way.

I am a little disappointed with the reaction of the Arsenal players. Sol is yards away, sees the whole thing and has a fairly relaxed moan. He should be screaming at people.

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Aaaaagh! Now I've remembered Henchoz's handball in the Cup Final :furious:

What cünt was reffing that?

Steve Dunn

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Indeed, although you can hardly blame Riley for the fact that the linesman, standing less than a yard away and looking directly at it, chose to ignore it. Although worth noting that Riley doesnt approach him or consult him in any way.

I am a little disappointed with the reaction of the Arsenal players. Sol is yards away, sees the whole thing and has a fairly relaxed moan. He should be screaming at people.

My recollection of that was that there was an angle from behind the lino which showed the lino start to move his arms to raise his flag and then stop.

Almost as though he realized that it was a red card against ManU in a 0-0 game they were desperate to win.

Luis Anaconda

Yeah - but with hindsight, wd the Horsefaced Dutch ****

Burney

True, actually. He should have caught van Nistelrooy by the throat. In fact, that game should have had to be abandoned due to most of our team getting sent off for kicking off about the refereeing.

Burney
01-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Steve Dunn

Thank you. I hope he dies screaming.

Burney
01-02-2018, 04:32 PM
Yeah - but with hindsight, wd the Horsefaced Dutch ****

Do you remember there was a time when United fans seriously used to argue that RvN was better than Tel? :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Thank you. I hope he dies screaming.

I also have a recollection of a game away to Blackburn where we had lumps kicked out of us and Steve Dunn was the horrible c*nt watching it all happen that day as well.

I seem to recall one match report referring to him as 'the hapless Dunn'. Might have won on a Bobby tap in 1-0?

I'm expecting that pervert Anaconda to verify this you understand, Burney. I would never expect such deviancy from you. :-)

Luis Anaconda
01-02-2018, 04:38 PM
I also have a recollection of a game away to Blackburn where we had lumps kicked out of us and Steve Dunn was the horrible c*nt watching it all happen that day as well.

I seem to recall one match report referring to him as 'the hapless Dunn'. Might have won on a Bobby tap in 1-0?

I'm expecting that pervert Anaconda to verify this you understand, Burney. I would never expect such deviancy from you. :-)

Fs, WES, I'm good but remembering every time we had the **** kicked out of us in the North West is a touch beyond me

IUFG
01-02-2018, 04:41 PM

my memories of going to Blackburn include:-

going to the local pub near the away end and them serving cans of lukewarm Polish lager from a van in the car park for a rather extortionate amount.

Going there for the last game of the season? and Fabianski shat himself and we lost 2-1 after dominating the game and being one nil up.

It snowing. In April. We were 4 up by half time. We even managed to hang on to win 1-4 :cloud9:

It being a monstrous ****hole of a place

Burney
01-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Fs, WES, I'm good but remembering every time we had the **** kicked out of us in the North West is a touch beyond me

BOOOOOO! Loss of deviant points there, la.

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:43 PM
my memories of going to Blackburn include:-

going to the local pub near the away end and them serving cans of lukewarm Polish lager from a van in the car park for a rather extortionate amount.

Going there for the last game of the season? and Fabianski shat himself and we lost 2-1 after dominating the game and being one nil up.

It snowing. In April. We were 4 up by half time. We even managed to hang on to win 1-4 :cloud9:

It being a monstrous ****hole of a place

I remember the Fabianski one. At every set piece he was blatantly fouled and the ref ignored every single one. In an age where 'keepers get far too much porotection'........

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 04:44 PM
BOOOOOO! Loss of deviant points there, la.

He's making a point about us being kicked up north all the time, I think.

We all *know* that he knows the answers. :-)

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:46 PM
True, actually. He should have caught van Nistelrooy by the throat. In fact, that game should have had to be abandoned due to most of our team getting sent off for kicking off about the refereeing.

There are two fouls on Reyes where Vieira is far too nice about it. Both challenges should have resulted in outright brawls.

Ok, any arsenal player talking out of turn would have been booked and any scuffle would have resulted in red cards but that would have been preferable to what actually happened. It would have made it Even clearer that Riley was not refereeing the game at all.

IUFG
01-02-2018, 04:47 PM
I remember the Fabianski one. At every set piece he was blatantly fouled and the ref ignored every single one. In an age where 'keepers get far too much porotection'........

Chris Samba may have headed in the winner from a corner. He may well also have flattened Fabianski on a number of other occasions

Burney
01-02-2018, 04:49 PM
There are two fouls on Reyes where Vieira is far too nice about it. Both challenges should have resulted in outright brawls.

Ok, any arsenal player talking out of turn would have been booked and any scuffle would have resulted in red cards but that would have been preferable to what actually happened. It would have made it Even clearer that Riley was not refereeing the game at all.

:nod: I'd have preferred that. It would at least have focused attention on the fouls and the non-refereeing in the aftermath. As it was, everyone just glossed over it in favour of the 'Arsenal unbeaten run ended by United' story.

Sir C
01-02-2018, 04:49 PM

I still don't understand why Vieira didn't hospitalise Gary Neville with a waist-high challenge during that game. We did rather roll over and take it, I'm afraid, despite the fact that that doesn't fit the accepted narrative of early Wenger teams were warriors / later Wenger teams all gaylords.

World's End Stella
01-02-2018, 04:51 PM

Of all the things that happened in that game it was the refusal to book that rat faced little weasel until about his 8th foul on Reyes that wound me up most. The other three were all one off incidents that a referee could miss (especially when he's a cheat).

But the deliberate targeting of Reyes was nasty and obvious and he let it go time and time again and then gave Cole a yellow for our first deliberate foul! At that point I seem to recall utterly losing it at a television, in a hotel, on holiday, with people around.

:-(

PSRB
Chris Samba may have headed in the winner from a corner. He may well also have flattened Fabianski on a number of other occasions

Chris Samba :hehe: Jeez, I remember everyone clamouring for us to sign him :rolleyes:

Burney
I still don't understand why Vieira didn't hospitalise Gary Neville with a waist-high challenge during that game. We did rather roll over and take it, I'm afraid, despite the fact that that doesn't fit the accepted narrative of early Wenger teams were warriors / later Wenger teams all gaylords.

That's the thing about Vieira, though. For a man with a simply woeful disciplinary record, he never properly fücked anyone up. He was usually booked for soft fouls and reacting to blatant provocation rather than outright violence.

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

I assume its a reaction to what happened there the previous season. We got all the blame for the battle of old trafford and the club must have told the players to watch their behaviour. The Football reaction is to stick in plenty of fouls of your own but given Riley this wasnt possible. Every foul would have been a booking, anything resembling the challenges Neville was putting in would have been straight reds.

The same with any reaction or animated complaint to the ref.

Sir C
01-02-2018, 04:55 PM
That's the thing about Vieira, though. For a man with a simply woeful disciplinary record, he never properly fücked anyone up. He was usually booked for soft fouls and reacting to blatant provocation rather than outright violence.

There were things about the chap which are still hard to acknowledge. Like the Roy Keane tunnel incident when Vieira shít himself and wanted nothing moe to do with the Cork tinker. :-(

Peter
01-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Of all the things that happened in that game it was the refusal to book that rat faced little weasel until about his 8th foul on Reyes that wound me up most. The other three were all one off incidents that a referee could miss (especially when he's a cheat).

But the deliberate targeting of Reyes was nasty and obvious and he let it go time and time again and then gave Cole a yellow for our first deliberate foul! At that point I seem to recall utterly losing it at a television, in a hotel, on holiday, with people around.

:-(

Even Andy Gray, one of United and Neville's biggest admirers at one point says he would love to know why those tackles werent bookings. One in particular is terrible. The one he gets booked for is an absolute ****ing disgrace.

He didnt 'miss' Rio's foul on Freddie. He ignored it because he would have had to send him off. You simply couldn't send off a United player at Old TRafford in those days, or award a penalty. It was just unthinkable.

Burney
01-02-2018, 05:02 PM
I assume its a reaction to what happened there the previous season. We got all the blame for the battle of old trafford and the club must have told the players to watch their behaviour. The Football reaction is to stick in plenty of fouls of your own but given Riley this wasnt possible. Every foul would have been a booking, anything resembling the challenges Neville was putting in would have been straight reds.

The same with any reaction or animated complaint to the ref.

The thing people forget about the Keown nonsense at Old Trafford was that the only person there who looked willing and capable to dish out extreme violence was Lauren. He looked absolutely prepared to dismember Phil Neville when he grabbed him by the throat. :cloud9:

Peter
01-02-2018, 05:06 PM
The thing people forget about the Keown nonsense at Old Trafford was that the only person there who looked willing and capable to dish out extreme violence was Lauren. He looked absolutely prepared to dismember Phil Neville when he grabbed him by the throat. :cloud9:

Keown's reaction was hilarious, dancing past Van Nistelrooy and 'accidentally' lapped him with an outstretched arm :)

That was, without question, the most absurd reaction to a run of the mill 'brawl' in the history of football. I went to work on the Monday and was set upon by outraged individuals the minute I walked in, claiming their children were terrified by what they had witnessed. One woman was screaming at me and frothing at the mouth.

All I said was that if your children are scared by that then they are ****ed for life and should stick to watching tennis.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 09:20 AM
There were things about the chap which are still hard to acknowledge. Like the Roy Keane tunnel incident when Vieira shít himself and wanted nothing moe to do with the Cork tinker. :-(

Ah yes - we were so terrified by that "tunnel" thing we went out and scored after 8 minutes. In fact, it was the petrified Vieira who scored. We were two-one up at half time, when fortunately Arsene must have reminded the team that they were actually ****ting themselves and could they do the decent thing and throw the game. That defeat was ALL about the tunnel and nothing to do with that useless **** Almunia (Peter - this is the bit where you should be extremely ashamed of yourself)

Sir C
01-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Ah yes - we were so terrified by that "tunnel" thing we went out and scored after 8 minutes. In fact, it was the petrified Vieira who scored. We were two-one up at half time, when fortunately Arsene must have reminded the team that they were actually ****ting themselves and could they do the decent thing and throw the game. That defeat was ALL about the tunnel and nothing to do with that useless **** Almunia (Peter - this is the bit where you should be extremely ashamed of yourself)

I meant during the row. :shrug: Vieira clearly shít himself. You know, because you've seen the footage.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 09:26 AM
I meant during the row. :shrug: Vieira clearly shít himself. You know, because you've seen the footage.

Ah, I know what you mean. Just sick of United fans continually going on about that game and referencing that ****ing incident and ignoring what actually followed on the pitch.

Still - that season turned out all right in the end for Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiAD38djorY

Sir C
01-03-2018, 09:31 AM
Ah, I know what you mean. Just sick of United fans continually going on about that game and referencing that ****ing incident and ignoring what actually followed on the pitch.

Quite the day, that was.

There is this rose-tinted view of those days which reflects poorly on everything that came after, as if Bergkamp never displaced a pass, Henry never missed a chance, Vieira ate opposition midfielders and spat the remains into the referee's face... and we never, ever lost a game. I like to remember that we were flawed. It's fairer to those players and to our current players.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Quite the day, that was.

There is this rose-tinted view of those days which reflects poorly on everything that came after, as if Bergkamp never displaced a pass, Henry never missed a chance, Vieira ate opposition midfielders and spat the remains into the referee's face... and we never, ever lost a game. I like to remember that we were flawed. It's fairer to those players and to our current players.

Indeed - remember Adams and Bould never gave away free kicks either

Sir C
01-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Dixon never missed a tackle...

Btw, I suppose I should have written 'misplaced a pass'; I don't quite know how one would 'displace' a pass. Send it into exile without a passort, something like that.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Dixon never missed a tackle...

Btw, I suppose I should have written 'misplaced a pass'; I don't quite know how one would 'displace' a pass. Send it into exile without a passort, something like that.

I'm sure Bergkamp could do that if he wanted to

IUFG
01-03-2018, 09:41 AM

Some good Arsenal pelanties among those

Burney
01-03-2018, 09:42 AM
Quite the day, that was.

:nod: Tel's posing, sulking and bullying of JAR; Dennis's frustrating inconsistency; Lehmann's insanity and tendency to put pressure on his own defence by reacting to every provocation; Kolo Toure not *actually* being terribly good at defending sometimes; Getting bullied out of crucial games by United, Leeds, Bolton, etc.

Sir C
01-03-2018, 09:42 AM
Some good Arsenal pelanties among those

I was 100% convinced Cole was going to miss.

Burney
01-03-2018, 09:44 AM

:nod: And let's never speak of what invariably happened any time a forward capable of anything more than glacial pace got behind Bouldy.

Burney
01-03-2018, 09:45 AM
I was 100% convinced Cole was going to miss.

I completely bottled that shootout and went out for a walk. I found out we'd won when my phone went mental.

Sir C
01-03-2018, 09:46 AM
:nod: Tel's posing, sulking and bullying of JAR; Dennis's frustrating inconsistency; Lehmann's insanity and tendency to put pressure on his own defence by reacting to every provocation; Kolo Toure not *actually* being terribly good at defending sometimes; Getting bullied out of crucial games by United, Leeds, Bolton, etc.

Now you're tearing the árse out of it b.

IUFG
01-03-2018, 09:48 AM
I'm sure Bergkamp could do that if he wanted to

I remember being at Hillsborough and Dennis hit a pass along the ground that curled around Des Walker straight into the path of a sprinting Ian Wright who went around Pressman (?). And missed.

You could see the line in the grass the ball had made. Simply perfect :cloud9:

Finished 0-0

Burney
01-03-2018, 09:49 AM
Now you're tearing the árse out of it b.

You yourself have said that for a man of his incredible talents, he had a tendency to go missing.

Of that side, the players I can't find anything negative to say about are Pires, Gilberto and - much as I hate to admit it - Cole. :-\

Whatever else he was or wasn't, he was a superb left back.

Sir C
01-03-2018, 09:51 AM
You yourself have said that for a man of his incredible talents, he had a tendency to go missing.

Of that side, the players I can't find anything negative to say about are Pires, Gilberto and - much as I hate to admit it - Cole. :-\

Whatever else he was or wasn't, he was a superb left back.

Oh I think Pires had quite the capacity for 'having a quiet game', especially if he was taking a good kicking.

Indeed, one Jose Antonio Reyes kept him out of the side for a while...

Burney
01-03-2018, 09:51 AM
I remember being at Hillsborough and Dennis hit a pass along the ground that curled around Des Walker straight into the path of a sprinting Ian Wright who went around Pressman (?). And missed.

You could see the line in the grass the ball had made. Simply perfect :cloud9:

Finished 0-0

It seems weird looking back that Sheffield Wednesday were once a serious team.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 09:52 AM
:nod: And let's never speak of what invariably happened any time a forward capable of anything more than glacial pace got behind Bouldy.

Usually a stretcher was called for (in the early days, anyway)

Burney
01-03-2018, 09:52 AM
Oh I think Pires had quite the capacity for 'having a quiet game', especially if he was taking a good kicking.

Indeed, one Jose Antonio Reyes kept him out of the side for a while...

Fair point. I suppose I'm just overlooking it because of my affection for him as a player.

Burney
01-03-2018, 09:54 AM
Usually a stretcher was called for (in the early days, anyway)

Ah, yes. But that was pre-1990. A strange and different world in which goalkeepers could pick up back passes and you virtually had to sever someone's limb to get a straight red card.

PSRB
01-03-2018, 09:55 AM
I completely bottled that shootout and went out for a walk. I found out we'd won when my phone went mental.

I was on a flight to New York and landed just after the final penalty. Quite a relief to have missed the entire match

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Ah, yes. But that was pre-1990. A strange and different world in which goalkeepers could pick up back passes and you virtually had to sever someone's limb to get a straight red card.

:nod: Still strange to watch old matches and keepers pick up backpasses. That, the red card for professional foul and banning tackling from behind - three massive rule changes in a couple of years, all for the better. And all they do nowadays is tinker with the offside rule every ****ing season

IUFG
01-03-2018, 10:01 AM
It seems weird looking back that Sheffield Wednesday were once a serious team.

You forget some of the teams that have been in the Premier League. Swindon and Coventry are now in L2!

Barnsley, even. Now there was a great goal by Dennis at their place.

Speaking of Barnsley...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWiI6zfWvY

Burney
01-03-2018, 10:03 AM
:nod: Still strange to watch old matches and keepers pick up backpasses. That, the red card for professional foul and banning tackling from behind - three massive rule changes in a couple of years, all for the better. And all they do nowadays is tinker with the offside rule every ****ing season

They were all introduced at the 1990 World Cup, as I recall. Given how fundamental they were, it's a miracle the thing didn't descend into farce, really. Evidence that, if you make the penalties harsh enough for failing to do so, footballers can adapt very quickly to any rule change.

Burney
01-03-2018, 10:05 AM
You forget some of the teams that have been in the Premier League. Swindon and Coventry are now in L2!

Barnsley, even. Now there was a great goal by Dennis at their place.

Speaking of Barnsley...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWiI6zfWvY

It still seems weird to me that Coventry aren't in the top flight anymore. They were there for decades, ffs.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 10:17 AM
It still seems weird to me that Coventry aren't in the top flight anymore. They were there for decades, ffs.

:nod: Blackburn in league One is strange. Wolves will be back next year - that will be comforting. As much as I like them Bournemouth in the Premier League is wrong

Burney
01-03-2018, 10:23 AM
:nod: Blackburn in league One is strange. Wolves will be back next year - that will be comforting. As much as I like them Bournemouth in the Premier League is wrong

Mind you, in the heyday of Fat Sam, who'd have suggested that Bolton would have been out of the top flight this long?

World's End Stella
01-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Quite correct, at the point we went 2-1 up early in the 2nd half we had controlled the game comfortably and I was certain we were going to win and win easily and after what had happened at their place it was going to help to have a bit of vindication.

At that point Lauren decided to dive in on Giggs for no sensible reason and Ronaldo ended up with a free run on goal. Shortly thereafter, that idiot Almunia decided to leave his line and chase Giggs while Lauren couldn't be bothered tracking Ronaldo's run and the next thing you know we're a goal down.

I said bad things that day. Many, many, many bad things. The Irish bloke behind the bar in NY told me to calm down and reminded me that 'c*nt' was rarely used openly in the United States of America. :-(

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 10:40 AM
Quite correct, at the point we went 2-1 up early in the 2nd half we had controlled the game comfortably and I was certain we were going to win and win easily and after what had happened at their place it was going to help to have a bit of vindication.

At that point Lauren decided to dive in on Giggs for no sensible reason and Ronaldo ended up with a free run on goal. Shortly thereafter, that idiot Almunia decided to leave his line and chase Giggs while Lauren couldn't be bothered tracking Ronaldo's run and the next thing you know we're a goal down.

I said bad things that day. Many, many, many bad things. The Irish bloke behind the bar in NY told me to calm down and reminded me that 'c*nt' was rarely used openly in the United States of America. :-(

:hehe: I find it hard to believe you swore, WES

World's End Stella
01-03-2018, 10:49 AM
:hehe: I find it hard to believe you swore, WES

It was directed at Rooney, when he had a go at Poll about something that had happened, the details are foggy.

I believe the exact phrase was 'f*ck off Rooney you granny shagging scouse c*nt'.

The two middle aged American women sat eating fish and chips at the bar were unimpressed. :-(

Burney
01-03-2018, 10:51 AM
It was directed at Rooney, when he had a go at Poll about something that had happened, the details are foggy.

I believe the exact phrase was 'f*ck off Rooney you granny shagging scouse c*nt'.

The two middle aged American women sat eating fish and chips at the bar were unimpressed. :-(

Americans get fish and chips are very, very wrong, WES.

Ash
01-03-2018, 10:55 AM

I presume they have no idea what real chips are.

Burney
01-03-2018, 11:04 AM
I presume they have no idea what real chips are.

Of course. The fish is also usually breadcrumbed rather than battered. The whole thing is a disgrace.

SWv2
01-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Of course. The fish is also usually breadcrumbed rather than battered. The whole thing is a disgrace.

Of course the take away staple of F+C must be battered however to dismiss the breadcrumb would be to dismiss the Fish Finger, a meal we surely all grew up on and savoured. Even Sir C the resident food snob.

I watched a program last night, one hour, on the production of Fish Fingers in Grimsby. Fascinating apart from being presented by that grinning idiot Wallace.

Sir C
01-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Of course the take away staple of F+C must be battered however to dismiss the breadcrumb would be to dismiss the Fish Finger, a meal we surely all grew up on and savoured. Even Sir C the resident food snob.

I watched a program last night, one hour, on the production of Fish Fingers in Grimsby. Fascinating apart from being presented by that grinning idiot Wallace.

I agree. There is nothing better than some sparklingly fresh cod, cut into fingers and pannéed in panko seasoned with some onion salt, fried to golden crispness, served on a bed of rocket with some home-baked sourdough and a good lemony tartare.

wd fish fingers.

SWv2
01-03-2018, 11:48 AM
I agree. There is nothing better than some sparklingly fresh cod, cut into fingers and pannéed in panko seasoned with some onion salt, fried to golden crispness, served on a bed of rocket with some home-baked sourdough and a good lemony tartare.

wd fish fingers.

Indeed. Who doesn't love a fish finger sandwich.

Happy New Year by the way :vsign:

Burney
01-03-2018, 11:49 AM

wd fish fingers.

Well apart from a piece of cod loin as thick as your forearm dipped in beer batter, deep fried to perfection and served with ketchup, mushy peas, salt and malt vinegar. I love a fishfinger, don't get me wrong, but battered cod is a thing of joy. The chips are barely necessary in such a feast.

Ash
01-03-2018, 11:50 AM

wd fish fingers.

Nah, mate. You don't want do be doing that poncificated nonsense. Birds Eye fishfingers, grilled, and served between two slices of white bread and tomato ketchup. :thumbup:

Burney
01-03-2018, 11:51 AM

I knew someone who worked at the Young's plant in Grimsby. They had three grades of cod depending on how riddled with worms it was (and most cod has worms in it, tbf). The best stuff went into the large pieces of fish for frozen cod and chips and whatnot. The second grade went into fishfingers and the most shítty stuff went into fishcakes.

Burney
01-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Nah, mate. You don't want do be doing that poncificated nonsense. Birds Eye fishfingers, grilled, and served between two slices of white bread and tomato ketchup. :thumbup:

I find you have to season them these days, though. They've taken all the lovely salt and monosodium glutamate out.

Sir C
01-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Indeed. Who doesn't love a fish finger sandwich.

Happy New Year by the way :vsign:

And to you, sw.

I spent christmas day evening drinking with a dear old friend from the old country. He brought a bottle of Paddy, for nostalgic reasons. We finished it. :-(

Sir C
01-03-2018, 11:56 AM

That is also nice, a.

Sir C
01-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Well apart from a piece of cod loin as thick as your forearm dipped in beer batter, deep fried to perfection and served with ketchup, mushy peas, salt and malt vinegar. I love a fishfinger, don't get me wrong, but battered cod is a thing of joy. The chips are barely necessary in such a feast.

Do you still eschew the batter, you absolute princess, or have you got over yourself?

Burney
01-03-2018, 12:00 PM
And to you, sw.

I spent christmas day evening drinking with a dear old friend from the old country. He brought a bottle of Paddy, for nostalgic reasons. We finished it. :-(

I did the full Boxing Day with all the family at my folks' place. Drinking started early. By my calculations I got drunk three times and sobered up twice before collapsing into bed at some time after midnight and waking up the next morning feeling like death. I'd promised the wife I'd drive back, but literally couldn't do it (certainly not legally, anyway). She was unimpressed.

Burney
01-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Do you still eschew the batter, you absolute princess, or have you got over yourself?

Oh, I've got over it now that I make the batter myself. Much chip shop batter is soggy shíte and not worth bothering with, tbf.

What is it about malt vinegar, though? Its earthiness works in a way that other, more refined vinegars simply don't.

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Oh, I've got over it now that I make the batter myself. Much chip shop batter is soggy shíte and not worth bothering with, tbf.

What is it about malt vinegar, though? Its earthiness works in a way that other, more refined vinegars simply don't.

One of the pure pleasures of being home was walking into a chip shop and just savouring the aroma - and then getting a **** off big piece of cod and lots of vinegar soaked chips. I even got a free pen :result:

Burney
01-03-2018, 12:16 PM
One of the pure pleasures of being home was walking into a chip shop and just savouring the aroma - and then getting a **** off big piece of cod and lots of vinegar soaked chips. I even got a free pen :result:

It is one of those meals that - enjoyed occasionally and when it's done right - is just one of the best things in the world.

It also demands to be eaten with the fingers, I find. a hunk of firm cod and crisp batter torn off with the fingers and shovelled unceremoniously into the gob is truly joyful.

World's End Stella
01-03-2018, 12:39 PM

Possibly although this was an 'Irish Pub' so the chips were of the right size. Not sure about the fish, it's not something I'd ever order over there although the two Yankee women probably thought it was dead original.

Ash
01-03-2018, 01:13 PM

From Mike Dean?

Luis Anaconda
01-03-2018, 01:14 PM
From Mike Dean?

too soon, a, too soon