PDA

View Full Version : Hang about, isn't it only a few years ago that those cuddly Iranians

Sir C
01-02-2018, 12:31 PM
were marching around, cutting themselves with blades, demanding the head of the Shah and the introduction of rule by Mad Mullah?

They've made their bed, tbh. Let 'em lie in it.

Burney
01-02-2018, 12:34 PM
were marching around, cutting themselves with blades, demanding the head of the Shah and the introduction of rule by Mad Mullah?

Those Saudis and Israelis are doing a bang-up job on Iran imo.

Also, Jeremy 'I take money from Iranian government TV' Corbyn's noticeably keeping his head down on this one. :hehe:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Let it go b. You're obsessed with Jeremy 'Prime Minister in Waiting' Corbyn

Burney
01-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Let it go b. You're obsessed with Jeremy 'Prime Minister in Waiting' Corbyn

He really isn't you know, h.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Is too! .. . . . .

Ash
01-02-2018, 04:42 PM

39 years.

:music:
"Then a priest in Paris, France
Made the people get up and da-da- dance.
Sold cassettes for 60p.
Said he'd set the people free.
We shall see, we shall see
Shah Shah, a go-go!
Shah Shah, a go-go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RfaVCljGiI

Burney
01-02-2018, 04:45 PM
39 years.

:music:
"Then a priest in Paris, France
Made the people get up and da-da- dance.
Sold cassettes for 60p.
Said he'd set the people free.
We shall see, we shall see
Shah Shah, a go-go!
Shah Shah, a go-go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RfaVCljGiI

Here's one for you, a: Can you tell me how the title of 'Shah' and the game of chess are intimately related?

Ash
01-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Those Saudis and Israelis are doing a bang-up job on Iran imo.

As they also did with such success in Syria. 450k dead. 7 million homeless. 2 million in Europe.

EDIT: Assad still in charge.

Ash
01-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Here's one for you, a: Can you tell me how the title of 'Shah' and the game of chess are intimately related?

erm .... both one syllable starting with a similar sound?

Sir C
01-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Have you tried Google mate? There's loads of information out there. :nod:

Burney
01-02-2018, 04:56 PM
erm .... both one syllable starting with a similar sound?

No. The phrase 'check mate' comes from the Persian 'Shah Mat' meaning 'The King Is Dead'. This is also the reason chess is known as 'Schach' in Germanic languages.

Burney
01-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Have you tried Google mate? There's loads of information out there. :nod:

I like to spread my fact nuggets around for the benefit of all.

Sir C
01-02-2018, 04:59 PM
No. The phrase 'check mate' comes from the Persian 'Shah Mat' meaning 'The King Is Dead'. This is also the reason chess is known as 'Schach' in Germanic languages.

"And next on Mid Morning Matters, what's your opinion of the pedestrianisation of Norwich town centre?"

Burney
01-02-2018, 05:05 PM
"And next on Mid Morning Matters, what's your opinion of the pedestrianisation of Norwich town centre?"

Look, I have just selflessly enlightened a motherfücker here! a can now drop this knowledge bomb into polite conversation wherever he goes. Men will want to be him and women will want to be with him - all because I decided to fact him hard.

And all you can do is sneer. :shakehead:

Sir C
01-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Look, I have just selflessly enlightened a motherfücker here! a can now drop this knowledge bomb into polite conversation wherever he goes. Men will want to be him and women will want to be with him - all because I decided to fact him hard.

And all you can do is sneer. :shakehead:

You make a good point. However, as one reaches a certain age, it is worryingly easy to take on the mantle of the didactic uncle who reveals his fondness for the genitalia of the underaged by telling you things you have no interest in knowing about subjects for which you care little.

Just beware, that's all I'm saying.

Ash
01-03-2018, 09:57 AM
You make a good point. However, as one reaches a certain age, it is worryingly easy to take on the mantle of the didactic uncle who reveals his fondness for the genitalia of the underaged by telling you things you have no interest in knowing about subjects for which you care little.

Just beware, that's all I'm saying.

It was a Quite Interesting fact tbf.

Burney
01-03-2018, 10:01 AM
It was a Quite Interesting fact tbf.

Thank you, a. I've always found it a most pleasing fact.