PDA

View Full Version : I’m pretty sure Oxford St at Xmas would’ve changed Dr Johnson’s mind about London

Burney
12-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Honestly, what a fúcking cùntpile :-(

Sir C
12-18-2017, 03:21 PM

I have a meeting in the west end tomorrow.

I arranged for i9t to be at Victoria. :thumbup:

Shrood, imo.

SWv2
12-18-2017, 03:22 PM

Oxford St is always a ****pile, always has been.

Take Selfridges out of the equation and there is barely a retail outlet worth visiting, even it is an emporium of wánkérs.

redgunamo
12-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Yeah, Christmas shopping is essentially women's work. They're all for it.

I always stear clear, although the possibility of doing the thing online would seem a most worthy invention.

Burney
12-18-2017, 03:39 PM
I have a meeting in the west end tomorrow.

I arranged for i9t to be at Victoria. :thumbup:

Shrood, imo.

I had to interview someone who was for some reason staying at the Park Lane Marriott. Dickhead.

Sir C
12-18-2017, 03:43 PM
I had to interview someone who was for some reason staying at the Park Lane Marriott. Dickhead.

Marriott, eh? No gentleman, obviously. Amerikan, I'd guess. :-(

Park Lane is an odd place. One feels somehow drawn to owning an apartment there, á la Bertie W, but really it's a dead and alive hole populated by Ayrabs. :-(

Burney
12-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Marriott, eh? No gentleman, obviously. Amerikan, I'd guess. :-(

Park Lane is an odd place. One feels somehow drawn to owning an apartment there, á la Bertie W, but really it's a dead and alive hole populated by Ayrabs. :-(

Yes, it did occur to me that I was probably safe from terrorise attack on Oxford St, since most of the potential victims would have been Allans.

Peter
12-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Yes, it did occur to me that I was probably safe from terrorise attack on Oxford St, since most of the potential victims would have been Allans.

Allentown, if you will ;)

World's End Stella
12-18-2017, 03:56 PM
What's wrong with Selfridges? :shrug:

I love the food court there, could browse for hours. And the home cinema techie bit as well.

Sir C
12-18-2017, 04:02 PM
What's wrong with Selfridges? :shrug:

I love the food court there, could browse for hours. And the home cinema techie bit as well.

I love the Brass Rail :cloud9:

World's End Stella
12-18-2017, 04:11 PM
I love the Brass Rail :cloud9:

Never done that but I take the family WES into London every year pre-Christmas to visit Selfridges, Fortnum and Mason, Harvey Nichs, Harrods or some combination of the four. We treat ourselves to lots of wonderful little things for the Christmas break; foie gras, caviar, pata negra, the finest smoked salmon we can find etc etc.

Followed by a meal. Last time it was that burger and lobster place in Harvey Nicks (not recommended), this year it shall be Goodmans in Mayfair.

This Friday as it happens. :cloud9:

Burney
12-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Never done that but I take the family WES into London every year pre-Christmas to visit Selfridges, Fortnum and Mason, Harvey Nichs, Harrods or some combination of the four. We treat ourselves to lots of wonderful little things for the Christmas break; foie gras, caviar, pata negra, the finest smoked salmon we can find etc etc.

Followed by a meal. Last time it was that burger and lobster place in Harvey Nicks (not recommended), this year it shall be Goodmans in Mayfair.

Hang on. You go shopping in the West End at Christmas FOR FUN?! :yikes:

You are one sick motherfùcker, WES and no mistake. :shakehead:

Sir C
12-18-2017, 04:18 PM

That is fúcking madness, isn't it?

fter that, he's going to eat American beef slurry. :-(

Burney
12-18-2017, 04:20 PM

Never mind madness, it’s fúcking child abuse in my book.

Jesus fùcking wept

World's End Stella
12-18-2017, 04:25 PM

Not really, I wouldn't describe it that way. We browse around and buy really nice food to enjoy over the holidays at the food courts.

And given where I live, it is rather nice to be amongst the hustle and bustle of one of the world's greatest cities.

Remember, unlike you and Charles I don't actually hate people. :-)

World's End Stella
12-18-2017, 04:26 PM

We've done this, you know nothing of beef. We reached that conclusion some time ago. :nod:

Ash
12-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Not really, I wouldn't describe it that way. We browse around and buy really nice food to enjoy over the holidays at the food courts.

And given where I live, it is rather nice to be amongst the hustle and bustle of one of the world's greatest cities.

Fair play to you, Wesley. I managed to get over half of my Christmas shopping done today in my lunch break around Covent Garden and Seven Dials. I sometimes brave the throng in Oxford Street and I can cope with it a lot better than an over-crowded pub.

World's End Stella
12-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Fair play to you, Wesley. I managed to get over half of my Christmas shopping done today in my lunch break around Covent Garden and Seven Dials. I sometimes brave the throng in Oxford Street and I can cope with it a lot better than an over-crowded pub.

Worst. Thing. Ever.

An over-crowded pub where you have to wait 5 minutes to get to the bar and order a beer.

So the Woodbine on match day, really. :-\

Peter
12-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Food Courts..... say no more.

Peter
12-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Worst. Thing. Ever.

An over-crowded pub where you have to wait 5 minutes to get to the bar and order a beer.

Maybe you are just not very good at ordering a drink. I have heard this suggested.....

Ash
12-18-2017, 04:56 PM

:nod: I can't do it anymore. Popped my head in, waved hello, and continued up the road to the Highbury Barn on Saturday. Basically ten times the size of the Woodbine with only twice as many people in it. Took only moments to get served.

World's End Stella
12-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Maybe you are just not very good at ordering a drink. I have heard this suggested.....

I can assure you Peter that while I have been accused of a great many things (rarely with any validity, of course), I have absolutely never been accused of not getting my round in.

And if there's a good way to get easily to the bar when it's rammed about 4 people deep the entire length of it, I'm all ears.

SWv2
12-18-2017, 05:06 PM
To be fair to the large Canadian I can verify that he knows where the bar is.

:nod:

Unlike some.

Peter.

:-|

Luis Anaconda
12-19-2017, 02:26 PM
:nod: I can't do it anymore. Popped my head in, waved hello, and continued up the road to the Highbury Barn on Saturday. Basically ten times the size of the Woodbine with only twice as many people in it. Took only moments to get served.

Are you going tonight, a?

Peter
12-19-2017, 02:30 PM
I can assure you Peter that while I have been accused of a great many things (rarely with any validity, of course), I have absolutely never been accused of not getting my round in.

And if there's a good way to get easily to the bar when it's rammed about 4 people deep the entire length of it, I'm all ears.

THis is the big mistake. You dont have to get to the bar to order a drink. Its all in the eyebrows......

Peter
12-19-2017, 02:32 PM
To be fair to the large Canadian I can verify that he knows where the bar is.

:nod:

Unlike some.

Peter.

:-|

We have been together on licensed premises once. During that brief time I purchased you several drinks and offered more. I dont recall you leading a stampede to the bar.....

You know, turning down a drink is pretty rude.... I was quite hurt.

Luis Anaconda
12-19-2017, 02:35 PM
We have been together on licensed premises once. During that brief time I purchased you several drinks and offered more. I dont recall you leading a stampede to the bar.....

You know, turning down a drink is pretty rude.... I was quite hurt.
If sw can recall being in the bar with you at all you should take it as a compliment

Ash
12-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Are you going tonight, a?

Yes, I made a commitment to actually go to the Woodbine before the match tonight on the assumption that it will be quieter for a League Cup game.

Luis Anaconda
12-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Yes, I made a commitment to actually go to the Woodbine before the match tonight on the assumption that it will be quieter for a League Cup game.
Well, I’ll be there. Not sure if that counts as quieter :)

SWv2
12-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Well, I’ll be there. Not sure if that counts as quieter :)

Caribou Cup glory hunter.

Luis Anaconda
12-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Caribou Cup glory hunter.

It's the best, sw Surprised you aren't over for it. I have a feeling my last League cup game was the final v Brum

IUFG
12-19-2017, 04:36 PM

I'm not quite sure how the Woodbine manages to run out of some beers on a match day. Before kick off too.

Quite remarkable lack of stock, there.

or has LA been in since opening time...?

eastgermanautos
12-20-2017, 03:27 AM

That sounds awesome. Invite me, please :-D

redgunamo
12-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Never mind madness, it’s fúcking child abuse in my book.

Jesus fùcking wept

I don't know if you ever saw it, but Malcolm McLaren did a wonderful one-off Christmas special show thing about the history of Oxford Street and growing up around there. It would've aired in the early nineties, I think. Very personal recollections and musings and, of course, a bit of music; the Happy Mondays, as condemned villains on their way to the legendary "Tyburn Tree" performing "Staying Alive", being a particular favourite highlight.

The thing could maybe have done with a bigger budget, or perhaps that would've smothered its modest, soulful charm.