PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I visit friends of ours who have recently had kids

Pat Vegas
12-14-2017, 02:15 PM
they look exhausted, miserable, broke, on the verge of divorce,

Yet they insist that we should have a kid. And when I say you are a good example of not having one they get offended :shrug:

Then they say it's the greatest thing.
Then I say I've just been on holiday and they look sad.

Pokster
12-14-2017, 02:23 PM

Yet they insist that we should have a kid. And when I say you are a good example of not having one they get offended :shrug:

You either want kids, and take all the negatives and positives that go with it, as they will change your home and social life forever.
Or you don't want kids, and are happy with the life you have. It isn't a half hearted decision

Pat Vegas
12-14-2017, 02:25 PM
You either want kids, and take all the negatives and positives that go with it, as they will change your home and social life forever.
Or you don't want kids, and are happy with the life you have. It isn't a half hearted decision

:nod: It annoys me when people insist. Every single time they keep talking about it. I feel for this particular couple the baby is a distraction to fill other voids.

SWv2
12-14-2017, 02:26 PM

Lad who works for me is a new parent, 5 months or so.

Oh how I laugh at the state of him while reassuring him it does get better and easier.

:hehe:

IUFG
12-14-2017, 02:28 PM
Or you don't want kids, and you will be very happy with life. It isn't a half hearted decision

corrected your post for you, p :thumbup:

IUFG
12-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Lad who works for me is a new parent, 5 months or so.

Oh how I laugh at the state of him while reassuring him it does get better and easier.

:hehe:

when is that then, sw?

SWv2
12-14-2017, 02:33 PM
when is that then, sw?

Around years 3-5 was a doddle.

My eldest is 10. He was doing his school homework on Tuesday IUFG, and in his sentence homework they have to find replacement words for a specifically underlined word in a sentence.

The underlined word was “plastered”, as in a few too many.

Ireland

:-(

The Rob2
12-14-2017, 02:36 PM
Does your Mrs want kids?

I suppose you either put up with all the **** that goes with having kids, or you risk dying alone

Pokster
12-14-2017, 02:37 PM
when is that then, sw?

when they leave home

IUFG
12-14-2017, 02:37 PM

Ireland

merely reinforcing the stereotype of your own people, sw. fine work by the local education authority, there.

What word did he use to replace it?

BTW - The youngest is 9 and I don't remember any 'easy' years tbh.

Peter
12-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Around years 3-5 was a doddle.

My eldest is 10. He was doing his school homework on Tuesday IUFG, and in his sentence homework they have to find replacement words for a specifically underlined word in a sentence.

Ireland

****ered.......

SWv2
12-14-2017, 02:42 PM
merely reinforcing the stereotype of your own people, sw. fine work by the local education authority, there.

What word did he use to replace it?

BTW - The youngest is 9 and I don't remember any 'easy' years tbh.

He used “drunk” which was okay though predictable. Being a chancer he then went for “very drunk” at which point I told him he was taking the piss. He then tried “wasted” and I was just about to explain how that term is more used for drug intake but decided that is for another day.

I must say I was surprised at it being in the book but it must be approved within the curriculum.

By all accounts the mothers on the Whatsapp group were having quite the tizzy.

p.s. "easy" is relative. From here on it gets worse by all accounts.

Peter
12-14-2017, 02:42 PM

Because it is quite clearly a ****ing nightmare and they dont see why you should get away with it.

I understand it is also very rewarding.

**** that, I dont want them. Looks like a nightmare

World's End Stella
12-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Because it is quite clearly a ****ing nightmare and they dont see why you should get away with it.

I understand it is also very rewarding.

**** that, I dont want them. Looks like a nightmare

They are never really difficult, at least mine weren't. Even the 'sleepless nights' bit was a nonsense, I remember none of those. Some interrupted sleep? Sure, but that was easy enough to get used to.

Kids are a joy, I wish mine were young again. Teenagers are not a joy. Now I can't wait for them to leave. :-(

PSRB
12-14-2017, 02:48 PM
They are never really difficult, at least mine weren't. Even the 'sleepless nights' bit was a nonsense, I remember none of those. Some interrupted sleep? Sure, but that was easy enough to get used to.

Kids are a joy, I wish mine were young again. Teenagers are not a joy. Now I can't wait for them to leave. :-(

:nod: Now the youngest is finally sleeping through-ish (was sick all over her mum last night and a temp 103F) it's a lot better. The 5 yr old is a doddle and a lot of fun.

Peter
12-14-2017, 02:55 PM

I do NOT like being woken up. I wont tolerate it.

I would think the teenagers are a laugh. Ap ain in the arse, possibly, but I think I would find that funny. Although these days you cant give them a smack can you?

World's End Stella
12-14-2017, 03:00 PM
:nod: Now the youngest is finally sleeping through-ish (was sick all over her mum last night and a temp 103F) it's a lot better. The 5 yr old is a doddle and a lot of fun.

From about 3 - 8 they are the greatest things ever, a non-stop source of entertainment and fun. I never thought I could love something as much as I loved them at that age.

Mrs WES and I once had a discussion over a bottle of red about what age would you freeze them at if you could. 8 and 6 for us. No downside at that age and they are still a joy.

Anyone who doesn't want children has no soul. :-)

SWv2
12-14-2017, 03:01 PM

I would think the teenagers are a laugh. Ap ain in the arse, possibly, but I think I would find that funny. Although these days you cant give them a smack can you?

You can go for a pint with your teenager mind you.

Actually I go for a pint with the 10 year old.

Peter
12-14-2017, 03:02 PM

Plastered :)

Pat Vegas
12-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Does your Mrs want kids?

I suppose you either put up with all the **** that goes with having kids, or you risk dying alone

No, she has this weird it's selfish to bring in a kid into this mental world/we don't ask to be born sort of thing.

Peter
12-14-2017, 03:03 PM
From about 3 - 8 they are the greatest things ever, a non-stop source of entertainment and fun. I never thought I could love something as much as I loved them at that age.

Mrs WES and I once had a discussion over a bottle of red about what age would you freeze them at if you could. 8 and 6 for us. No downside at that age and they are still a joy.

Anyone who doesn't want children has no soul. :-)

Then I have no soul. Nor do I want one.

Peter
12-14-2017, 03:04 PM
No, she has this weird it's selfish to bring in a kid into this mental world/we don't ask to be born sort of thing.

The dying alone thing..... not a good reason for having kids, in my opinion.

Pat Vegas
12-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Who will I leave my guitars too :-(

IUFG
12-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Who will I leave my guitars too :-(

Apparently I will inherit about a dozen guitars in good time. I can knock out a few chords at best.

What I will do with a few Fenders, Epiphones, Music Man and Martin guitars is beyond me. The old man should sell them now for cold, hard cash and go on holiday imo.

Rich
12-14-2017, 03:11 PM

This reads like an extract from The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime.

A great book if you've not read it. Talks a bit about the tube as well, so I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

World's End Stella
12-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Then I have no soul. Nor do I want one.

You should have a soul, Peter. You never know, you might be able to find one that knows something about goalkeeping. :-)

IUFG
12-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Do you use him as a homing device, sw?

SWv2
12-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Do you use him as a homing device, sw?

Packet of crisps or nuts, sugar free soft drink. He may bring his iPad or play something on my phone and we will converse not 1 word.

A true modern day family scene.

IUFG
12-14-2017, 03:25 PM

the only time the kids speak is when the wifi goes down.

otherwise it merely a series of grunts.

Pat Vegas
12-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Apparently I will inherit about a dozen guitars in good time. I can knock out a few chords at best.

What I will do with a few Fenders, Epiphones, Music Man and Martin guitars is beyond me. The old man should sell them now for cold, hard cash and go on holiday imo.

:nod: Keep me updated.

Burney
12-14-2017, 03:43 PM

I don't remember any decision at all. She seems to be turning out alright, though. :shrug:

Burney
12-14-2017, 03:45 PM

Nope. Everyone dies alone when it comes down to it, anyway.

World's End Stella
12-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Packet of crisps or nuts, sugar free soft drink. He may bring his iPad or play something on my phone and we will converse not 1 word.

We are as one on this, SW.

Little Master WES and I down our local every Sunday at 12pm. 2-3 pints of bitter for me, 2 pints of coke for Master WES and a large plate of fries which we share.

Chat on the way there, chat on the way back, at the pub itself we say nothing more than 'another drink?', 'crisps?', 'fries?' and 'time to go?'.

Proper father/son relationship. :cloud9:

Pokster
12-14-2017, 03:49 PM
We are as one on this, SW.

Little Master WES and I down our local every Sunday at 12pm. 2-3 pints of bitter for me, 2 pints of coke for Master WES and a large plate of fries which we share.

Chat on the way there, chat on the way back, at the pub itself we say nothing more than 'another drink?', 'crisps?', 'fries?' and 'time to go?'.

Proper father/son relationship. :cloud9:

Is he not a footballer WES? Sumday is the day for having to drive all over the place watching various offspring kick a ball about

Burney
12-14-2017, 03:50 PM

See, I find this odd. Increasingly, I find I go to the pub specifically in order to be alone. Taking someone with me who hasn't even the merit of being able to go to the bar for me seems to defeat the object of going to the pub in the first place.

Pokster
12-14-2017, 03:52 PM
See, I find this odd. Increasingly, I find I go to the pub specifically in order to be alone. Taking someone with me who hasn't even the merit of being able to go to the bar for me seems to defeat the object of going to the pub in the first place.

You should want to go to the pub to be sociable... not be the bitter old man in the corner that everyone stears clear of

World's End Stella
12-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Is he not a footballer WES? Sumday is the day for having to drive all over the place watching various offspring kick a ball about

Sadly no, I blame Mrs WES.

And worse, he isn't any good at maths, either. He's likely to read - and I struggle to write this without a tear in my eye - history at Uni. He seems to be very good at it.

My son, an artsie. :cry:

Pokster
12-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Sadly no, I blame Mrs WES.

And worse, he isn't any good at maths, either. He's likely to read - and I struggle to write this without a tear in my eye - history at Uni. He seems to be very good at it.

My son, an artsie. :cry:

So in other words he's gay..... poor WES jnr, being ****e at football... at least he gets his sporting prowess from his dad

Burney
12-14-2017, 03:57 PM
You should want to go to the pub to be sociable... not be the bitter old man in the corner that everyone stears clear of

Ugh! God, no! Being sociable is something you do when you're young and sort of have to. One of the joys of getting older is that I no longer feel any compunction whatsoever to be sociable. Indeed I now fiercely resent having to any sort of social occasion.

Pokster
12-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Ugh! God, no! Being sociable is something you do when you're young and sort of have to. One of the joys of getting older is that I no longer feel any compunction whatsoever to be sociable. Indeed I now fiercely resent having to any sort of social occasion.

I do see you turing into some sort of Harry Enfield character. It's not too late b to embrace the population and spread joy to some less fortunate souls by chatting to them in the pub.

They might just think you are a weirdo of course

SWv2
12-14-2017, 04:06 PM

I am talking about 1-2 pints here B, not double figures and dancing to Xmas songs like last Friday.

Burney
12-14-2017, 04:11 PM
I do see you turing into some sort of Harry Enfield character. It's not too late b to embrace the population and spread joy to some less fortunate souls by chatting to them in the pub.

They might just think you are a weirdo of course

Perhaps, but as I get older, the number of people whose opinion of me I give a shํt about has become vanishingly small, so - with respect - I couldn't really give a toss.

Burney
12-14-2017, 04:13 PM
I am talking about 1-2 pints here B, not double figures and dancing to Xmas songs like last Friday.

I'm talking about 1-2 pints also. I cherish my time at weekends when I just slope off to the pub for a couple. Sunday lunchtime's best. You get free sausages and nibbles. :nod:

redgunamo
12-14-2017, 04:31 PM

They're doing it wrong, P. That's all.

redgunamo
12-14-2017, 04:39 PM

I always took even my baby boys to the pub, with a hound or two as well to make sure they behaved themselves, kept quiet.

Pat Vegas
12-14-2017, 05:04 PM
They're doing it wrong, P. That's all.

I suspect so they treat the baby like a baby.
it's 3 years old now

redgunamo
12-14-2017, 06:29 PM
I suspect so they treat the baby like a baby.
it's 3 years old now

Blame the parents, imo. Obviously they used their money to spoil their children rotten. And further, they then encouraged their children to spoil themselves with their own money. So naturally, now, they want to spoil their own kids too. But, of course, they don't really have enough money for it anymore because they spent it all spoiling themselves. So what you've ended up with is one kid (or even no kids) devouring the same time and resources as three or four used to.

Apparently it's complicated :-\

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
12-14-2017, 06:34 PM

To be fair, I never liked being woken up but there are exceptions to that and kids aren't one of them.

redgunamo
12-14-2017, 06:38 PM
To be fair, I never liked being woken up but there are exceptions to that and kids aren't one of them.

Right. My dogs wake me up; the children wake their mother up.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
12-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Right. My dogs wake me up; the children wake their mother up.

My dog never wakes me up and no, that would not be acceptable either

redgunamo
12-14-2017, 07:04 PM
My dog never wakes me up and no, that would not be acceptable either

Fair enough, everyone's different. My hounds are my life.

Billy Goat Sverige
12-14-2017, 07:22 PM

I always said I would never have kids. All my nieces and nephews used to annoy the shut out of me, but when you have your own it’s different. Nothing better than seeing the smile on my little ones face when I go and pick him up from daycare :cloud9:

Ash
12-14-2017, 11:53 PM
This reads like an extract from The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime.

A great book if you've not read it. Talks a bit about the tube as well, so I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Not read the book, but seen the play in the West End. Excellent, I thought.

Ash
12-14-2017, 11:55 PM

My Word.

Wasn't Slade, was it?

Ash
12-14-2017, 11:56 PM
Nothing better than seeing the smile on my little ones face when I go and pick him up from daycare :cloud9:

Aw, man, that's beautiful. :-)

SWv2
12-15-2017, 09:16 AM
My Word.

Wasn't Slade, was it?

Indupitably.

It was a "few pints with the neighbours" that spun wildly out of control. Thankfully it being the festive season was my fall back the next day.

Work party tonight.

IUFG
12-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Work party tonight.

oh. my commiserations, sw

SWv2
12-15-2017, 10:11 AM
oh. my commiserations, sw

Oh I know but I am long enough at this game to know the perils.

Pub at 5, free bar from 5 – 8:30 and then the meal. My thinking is to mooch away after the panna cotta.

Rich
12-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Not read the book, but seen the play in the West End. Excellent, I thought.

You really should read the book too - it's quite magnificent. I believe it won Book Of The Year whenever it was published, in fact.

IUFG
12-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Pub at 5, free bar from 5 – 8:30 and then the meal. My thinking is to mooch away after the panna cotta.

Always good to have a game plan.

Italian? Oh dear, you'd best hope the Penne Arrabbiata is acceptable... :-(

SWv2
12-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Always good to have a game plan.

Italian? Oh dear, you'd best hope the Penne Arrabbiata is acceptable... :-(

:nono:

Mediterranean / Modern European or whatever I believe.

http://www.coppingerrow.com/christmas-dinner/

IUFG
12-15-2017, 12:11 PM
:nono:

Mediterranean / Modern European or whatever I believe.

http://www.coppingerrow.com/christmas-dinner/

Lamb Flatbread with Hummus, Sheeps Cheese & Tzatziki

Char-grilled Rib-eye with Celeriac, Watercress, Horseradish and
Roasted Bone Marrow (€5 supplement)

Selection of Farmhouse Cheeses (€3 Supplement)

and where is the ****ing wine menu on that website?

SWv2
12-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Lamb Flatbread with Hummus, Sheeps Cheese & Tzatziki

Char-grilled Rib-eye with Celeriac, Watercress, Horseradish and
Roasted Bone Marrow (€5 supplement)

Selection of Farmhouse Cheeses (€3 Supplement)

and where is the ****ing wine menu on that website?

Christ, they have a cocktail menu, a gin menu and even a tonic menu but no sign of wine or beer (though clearly this will be happening).

I will report back to you.

By all accounts Bono frequents the gaff and Beyonce & Jay Z went there last time they were in Dublin. That apparently is a plus point / means of recommendation.

IUFG
12-15-2017, 12:39 PM
...but no sign of wine or beer

clearly got their priorities wrong. Avoid imo