PDA

View Full Version : The annoying thing about teams running away with the league so early in the season is

Monty92
12-13-2017, 01:11 PM
that it pretty much guarantees that every other perceived contender when the season started will fail to demonstrate their full potential.

It’s simply not psychologically possible for a team to operate at their full potential when the league has already gone and second is the best you can hope for.

This is why, unless you think we should be ahead of Man City based on our potential, you have no right to criticise Wenger.

Or something...

Pokster
12-13-2017, 01:15 PM
that it pretty much guarantees that every other perceived contender when the season started will fail to demonstrate their full potential.

It’s simply not psychologically possible for a team to operate at their full potential when the league has already gone and second is the best you can hope for.

This is why, unless you think we should be ahead of Man City based on our potential, you have no right to criticise Wenger.

Or something...

So if we discount man city and assume all the other clubs are failing to play to potential, we are 5th and behind 3 teams that are playing CL games while we play EL games with a second team

Wenger out

Monty92
12-13-2017, 01:22 PM
So if we discount man city and assume all the other clubs are failing to play to potential, we are 5th and behind 3 teams that are playing CL games while we play EL games with a second team

Wenger out

I know but us and those three teams are basically playing every game in third gear because we know the title has gone. Every match is basically a glorified friendly.

World's End Stella
12-13-2017, 01:27 PM
I know but us and those three teams are basically playing every game in third gear because we know the title has gone. Every match is basically a glorified friendly.

You mean the 4th place trophy you've been going on about for the past 10 years doesn't motivate them? :sherlock:

Pokster
12-13-2017, 01:28 PM

absolute *******s

Monty92
12-13-2017, 01:30 PM
You mean the 4th place trophy you've been going on about for the past 10 years doesn't motivate them? :sherlock:

Of course not. I'm talking about maximising your full potential. Only believing you can win the league will allow you to do that.

Pokster
12-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Of course not. I'm talking about maximising your full potential. Only believing you can win the league will allow you to do that.

So Burnley don't think they can win the league but are performing above their potential? :confused:

You do sprout some utter crap at times

World's End Stella
12-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Ah, I understand now. We haven't seen the best of Arsenal because we consistently fail to challenge for the league and that isn't Wenger's fault.

Step aside those of you who are obtuse, begone with you if you are ignorant and I have no interest morons, dimwits and the intellectually deprived.

We have a new form of stupid in town and this sheriff's name is Monty.

Monty92
12-13-2017, 01:38 PM
So Burnley don't think they can win the league but are performing above their potential? :confused:

You do sprout some utter crap at times

I said in my previous post "perceived contenders at the start of the season"

Monty92
12-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Ah, I understand now. We haven't seen the best of Arsenal because we consistently fail to challenge for the league and that isn't Wenger's fault.

Step aside those of you who are obtuse, begone with you if you are ignorant and I have no interest morons, dimwits and the intellectually deprived.

We have a new form of stupid in town and this sheriff's name is Monty.

No, I meant this season. Other seasons you're free to criticise Wenger. I'm a fair man.

Peter
12-13-2017, 01:39 PM

Or, perhaps, with the handbrake on?

Monty92
12-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Or, perhaps, with the handbrake on?

Nah, we do that when we're nervous.

I mean, we are nervous, but we're also unmotivated. It's a bit of a toxic combination for a football team, quite frankly.

Peter
12-13-2017, 01:42 PM

I mean, we are nervous, but we're also unmotivated. It's a bit of a toxic combination for a football team, quite frankly.

Also, not that good. I cant watch City play, it makes me feel sad. We used to have players like that.....

Pokster
12-13-2017, 01:42 PM

So when exactly did every other club in the league start playing in 3rd gear? Ours was obviously from August, was Man U before they lost on Sunday?

World's End Stella
12-13-2017, 01:45 PM
No, I meant this season. Other seasons you're free to criticise Wenger. I'm a fair man.

That's only part if it, though.

It's that bit about not getting the best out of team until they challenge for the league that I particularly loved.

'Why are we 5th, Monty?'
M - 'Because we aren't challenging for the league so our performance levels are lower than they might be otherwise'
'But if we were to challenge for the league we would need to be better, and if we were better we would be higher than 5th'
M - 'no, you haven't thought this through properly'

:clap:

Monty92
12-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Also, not that good. I cant watch City play, it makes me feel sad. We used to have players like that.....

But we don't know if we're not very good, because we're not motivated enough (through no fault of our own) to show how good we are. It's literally a vicious circle, Jeff.

Monty92
12-13-2017, 01:49 PM
So when exactly did every other club in the league start playing in 3rd gear? Ours was obviously from August, was Man U before they lost on Sunday?

Man Utd probably played a bit in 3rd gear since August too. Chelsea as well, but their lack of motivation is down to having won it last year. Basically it was City's to lose this time round and they've made the most of it.

7sisters
12-13-2017, 01:53 PM
But we don't know if we're not very good, because we're not motivated enough (through no fault of our own) to show how good we are. It's literally a vicious circle, Jeff.

You've got to stop judging everyone else by your own, resigned and apathetic standards m.
Sports people are motivated by design. It's in their dna old chap. No one likes to lose.

Pokster
12-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Man Utd probably played a bit in 3rd gear since August too. Chelsea as well, but their lack of motivation is down to having won it last year. Basically it was City's to lose this time round and they've made the most of it.

So Man U have played in 3rd gear (since August) while only 8 points behind the leaders (in December) ......... do you actually believe any of this rubbish you post?

Tony C
12-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Got to wonder what Arsene will do now imo

I would be inclined to switch the teams around and play the first XI in the 3 cups and lets the kids gain experience and the chance to blossom in the League.

Might as well end his career here with a nice trophy haul but also give the next man a platform to build from.

Not asking for a total swap...just a few more of the kids playing in the League more regularly and in their right positions ie Macey, Holding, Maitland and Reiss.

bbrian
12-13-2017, 02:17 PM

Or something...

How long before a playoff system is introduced?

PSRB
12-13-2017, 03:15 PM

Or something...

If VAR was in place, we'd be a lot closer

:hide:

Viva Prat Vegas
12-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Just the TWO players offside
:shout:

SWv2
12-13-2017, 03:40 PM

Incorrect as they have simply struggled to cope with the prolonged absense of Pogba.

Unfortunately he was back when they played us.

SWv2
12-13-2017, 03:50 PM
Just the TWO players offside
:shout:

They were still winning 2-1 at the time.

:shrug:

Viva Prat Vegas
12-13-2017, 03:54 PM
2-1 is easier to come back from than 3-1
Obvs

SWv2
12-13-2017, 03:58 PM
2-1 is easier to come back from than 3-1
Obvs

Yes I am quite sure they would have added a third had they not added the third when they did.

Anyhow, a silly discussion as they won and we lost.

We would have won had de Gea not done his job as a goalkeeper. That’s another silly one.

Viva Prat Vegas
12-13-2017, 04:05 PM
I was endorsing PSRB with his VAR comment
Organically the ire towards the officials for missing two clear offside players is justified
At that stage in the game we were on the up and more likely to score
It would have also been likely that 2018 Champions City would have scored again
I will quit now because I agree with you that much of this is pointless

There is a Jam documentary on the Telly this week

SWv2
12-13-2017, 04:13 PM
There is a Jam documentary on the Telly this week

If it is the often repeated Sky Arts documentary I own it on DVD (along with the extra DVD of a Rockpalast live concert from 1980 which is better viewing than the actual documentary).

I thank you anyway.

Viva Prat Vegas
12-13-2017, 04:16 PM
:nod:
You even got the channel right
Friday night and close to Midnight
You are 100% correct
as you almost always are

SWv2
12-13-2017, 04:22 PM

Hold on a second ....

Monty @ 1:41

Monty @ 1:46

Possibly, or probably, unbeknownst to himself he twice attacks Wenger’s ongoing ability to manage his squad and to prepare them to do their jobs as professional footballers.

A pivotal moment in AWIMB history. Even old big nose himself has turned.

#WENGEROUT