PDA

View Full Version : My drive to work this morning took half the time this morning it usually does.

Burney
12-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Why? Because hundreds of schools have been closed due to snow that has prevented precisely no-one else in the area getting to work and has now almost entirely melted. However, teachers considered it too ‘dangerous’ to allow children to go to school, thus forcing god knows how many parents to either take the day off or work from home to look after their kids.

Teachers - like most in the public sector - really are idle, lying, workshy cùnts. :furious:

Peter
12-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Why? Because hundreds of schools have been closed due to snow that has prevented precisely no-one else in the area getting to work and has now almost entirely melted. However, teachers considered it too ‘dangerous’ to allow children to go to school, thus forcing god knows how many parents to either take the day off or work from home to look after their kids.

Teachers - like most in the public sector - really are idle, lying, workshy cùnts. :furious:

Health and safety, b. The parents are charging the gates with lawsuits if their kid so much as grazes a knee.

That said, I am missing three staff today because of the ****ing schools....

Luis Anaconda
12-11-2017, 01:23 PM

Would never happen in "Europe", b ;)

Burney
12-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Health and safety, b. The parents are charging the gates with lawsuits if their kid so much as grazes a knee.

That said, I am missing three staff today because of the ****ing schools....

Schools are hardly the only organisations in the country with a duty of care, are they, p? And yet they are the only ones closing. Hmmm. :rubchin:

Also, how many independent schools are closed? Very few. And yet they also look after children and could potentially be liable.

Monty92
12-11-2017, 01:31 PM

You could also blame the traffic you usually experience on the middle class parents who choose to send their kids to superior schools that are a drive away, rather than settling for the one around the corner.

Burney
12-11-2017, 01:33 PM
You could also blame the traffic you usually experience on the middle class parents who choose to send their kids to superior schools that are a drive away, rather than settling for the one around the corner.

I work in Enfield, m. I seriously doubt there are any ‘superior’ schools.

Peter
12-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Schools are hardly the only organisations in the country with a duty of care, are they, p? And yet they are the only ones closing. Hmmm. :rubchin:

Also, how many independent schools are closed? Very few. And yet they also look after children and could potentially be liable.

THe other organisations arent full of kids, b. Unless the safety of our children isnt important to you? Hmm? Eh? Eh?

Independent schools cant close- parents would ask for refunds.

Peter
12-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Ahem- Excuse me!

I went to one of the top state schools in the country- in Enfield. Funnily enough, it is awash with kids from Muswell Hill, Highgate, the better parts of Finchley.

St Ignatius is ok, as is Southgate. The others are effectively borstals.

Burney
12-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Ahem- Excuse me!

I went to one of the top state schools in the country- in Enfield. Funnily enough, it is awash with kids from Muswell Hill, Highgate, the better parts of Finchley.

St Ignatius is ok, as is Southgate. The others are effectively borstals.

But - with respect - that was an awfully long time ago, wasn't it, p? :-(

It's like me and Croydon. I was rather fond and defensive of the place when I grew up there. It's now a cesspit.

Burney
12-11-2017, 02:00 PM
THe other organisations arent full of kids, b. Unless the safety of our children isnt important to you? Hmm? Eh? Eh?

Independent schools cant close- parents would ask for refunds.

The safety of children is no more or less important to me than the safety of every other bugger. :shrug:

Peter
12-11-2017, 02:18 PM
But - with respect - that was an awfully long time ago, wasn't it, p? :-(

It's like me and Croydon. I was rather fond and defensive of the place when I grew up there. It's now a cesspit.

It is still an outstanding school in every respect. And it still attracts kids from all over North London and over 3000 applicants a year. It isnt quite as good as when I was there, for obvious reasons :)

I dont know much about the others these days.

Pat Vegas
12-11-2017, 02:21 PM
The safety of children is no more or less important to me than the safety of every other bugger. :shrug:

It's safer for kids in the snow. when you are a kid and fall over you get back up.
as I get older it takes longer to get up.

Pokster
12-11-2017, 02:34 PM
It's safer for kids in the snow. when you are a kid and fall over you get back up.
as I get older it takes longer to get up.

Fnarr fnarr

Peter
12-11-2017, 02:41 PM

I cant believe you dont give a **** about kids.

You monster.....

Whereabouts in Enfield do you work?

Sir C
12-11-2017, 02:42 PM

You monster.....

Just ask him for a date, you weird stalker.

Monty92
12-11-2017, 02:47 PM
in Enfield? There are schools less than half-a-mile away from us which we've been told there's no point applying to as we don't live close enough.

It is still an outstanding school in every respect. And it still attracts kids from all over North London and over 3000 applicants a year. It isnt quite as good as when I was there, for obvious reasons :)

I dont know much about the others these days.

Burney
12-11-2017, 02:55 PM

You monster.....

Bush Hill Park. You could almost mistake it for civilisation.

Peter
12-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Bush Hill Park. You could almost mistake it for civilisation.

Ah.... never liked that part. As a rule I never went closer than Winchmore Hill if I could help it.

Peter
12-11-2017, 03:02 PM
in Enfield? There are schools less than half-a-mile away from us which we've been told there's no point applying to as we don't live close enough.

I think school's can decide their own catchment area- this one certainly can. They take pupils from every N postcode and most E postcodes.

Oh, and you have to pass the entrance exam and be good at maths, cricket or music (preferably all three).

redgunamo
12-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Would never happen in "Europe", b ;)

Oh, no. It happens there all the time.

According to my sons anyway :dubious:

redgunamo
12-12-2017, 08:59 AM

Even more reason for making a show out of it by taking the day off of it, I'd say.

7sisters
12-12-2017, 10:20 AM

Indeed. A school nearby has been closed for two days. Several others in the town are all open. The reason. A hill leading up to the main school, which is within the school's land, is deemed too hazardous. The hill is really nothing to write home about and have none of these clowns heard of rock salt ? A call to the council perhaps ?

SWv2
12-12-2017, 10:24 AM

Of course the decision to close the schools is made by the relevant Head or perhaps Government department at a local or perhaps national level, no decision regarding school closures is actually made by the teachers.

We had two days closure recently due to the storm Ophelia, wind essentially.

Pokster
12-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Of course the decision to close the schools is made by the relevant Head or perhaps Government department at a local or perhaps national level, no decision regarding school closures is actually made by the teachers.

We had two days closure recently due to the storm Ophelia, wind essentially.

Head teachers are on a hiding to nothing, in the modern culture we live in if a child gets injured because the playground hadn't been cleared of forst/snow then the school would have a legal issue.

In the olden days schools hardly ever shut as there was no social media to tell parents, so kids went to school, played in the snow and got on with it.