PDA

View Full Version : What's your Christmas dinner menu

Pat Vegas
12-07-2017, 09:11 AM
As everywons family have different traditions and routines, it always feels a little strange when in a different place.

Fish on the Christmas eve on thanks.

Sir C
12-07-2017, 09:22 AM
As everywons family have different traditions and routines, it always feels a little strange when in a different place.

Steaks and jacket spuds on christmas eve. Old family tradition.

Goose, stuffing, forcemeat, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, parsnips, brussels sprouts, red cabbage for christmas dinner. I'm struggling for a starter at present.

Billy Goat Sverige
12-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Fish, fish and more fish. Maybe some boiled potatoes and ham.

:-|

Pat Vegas
12-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Any sort of pickled products?

TheCurly
12-07-2017, 09:35 AM

Sea or lake?

IUFG
12-07-2017, 09:44 AM
...I'm struggling for a starter at present.

Surely with such a huge calorific intake on the 25th, there is no real need for a starter.

Well, maybe a bottle of decent Gigondas...

Billy Goat Sverige
12-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Any sort of pickled products?

Most of the fish :hehe:

https://swiceprincess.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/wp-1451463426566.jpg

:puke:

IUFG
12-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Most of the fish :hehe:

:puke:

rollmops :-(

Sir C
12-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Surely with such a huge calorific intake on the 25th, there is no real need for a starter.

Well, maybe a bottle of decent Gigondas...

True enough i. You make a good point. I shall ponder this option.

Sir C
12-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Sea or lake?

We have established that lake fish are God's own fish, c. You can't eat God's fish.

Luis Anaconda
12-07-2017, 09:58 AM

:shrug: I have **** all to do with the cooking, p

Luis Anaconda
12-07-2017, 10:00 AM
We have established that lake fish are God's own fish, c. You can't eat God's fish.

What about the fishes with the loaves and the fishes. Were they lake fish? Did they come from the sea of Galilee which is a lake even though it is called a sea? WHY IS GOD SO MYSTERIOUS?

World's End Stella
12-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Something very easy, possibly even a takeaway, on Christmas Eve as I spend all of the 23rd preparing for Christmas Day and all of Christmas day cooking (and drinking massive quantities of alcohol, of course)

Christmas morning - scrambled egg with truffle, smoked salmon, maple smoked bacon and champagne.

Christmas lunch - roast turkey breast, braised turkey legs, creamed sprouts, roast potatoes, bread stuffing, roasted root vegetables

Christmas evening - cheese, biscuits, bread, wine, port etc etc

Burney
12-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Goose, stuffing, forcemeat, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, parsnips, brussels sprouts, red cabbage for christmas dinner. I'm struggling for a starter at present.

Might I suggest something shellfishy? Coquilles St Jacques or half a thermidor apiece?

Sir C
12-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Might I suggest something shellfishy? Coquilles St Jacques or half a thermidor apiece?

But where to obtain fresh shellfish on christmas eve?

Burney
12-07-2017, 11:38 AM
But where to obtain fresh shellfish on christmas eve?

Buy the lobsters live and keep them somewhere for a few days.

Then start your Christmas by giving them the present of a boily death. :hehe:

Pat Vegas
12-07-2017, 11:44 AM

:hehe: even add little Christmas hats to them.

PSRB
12-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Something very easy, possibly even a takeaway, on Christmas Eve as I spend all of the 23rd preparing for Christmas Day and all of Christmas day cooking (and drinking massive quantities of alcohol, of course)

Christmas morning - scrambled egg with truffle, smoked salmon, maple smoked bacon and champagne.

Christmas lunch - roast turkey breast, braised turkey legs, creamed sprouts, roast potatoes, bread stuffing, roasted root vegetables

Christmas evening - cheese, biscuits, bread, wine, port etc etc

Much the same at Chez PSRB

Burney
12-07-2017, 11:46 AM
:hehe: even add little Christmas hats to them.

:hehe: And play Christmas carols very loud to mask their screams.

Burney
12-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Much the same at Chez PSRB

I'm a bit distressed by the lack of ham, sausages and - most crucially - bread sauce.

Sir C
12-07-2017, 11:48 AM

That's just what I need on christmas day, up to my armpits in goosegrease and gizzards...

Burney
12-07-2017, 11:50 AM
That's just what I need on christmas day, up to my armpits in goosegrease and gizzards...

I didn't find doing it particularly traumatic, tbh. Although there was that one who appeared to be trying to climb out :-\

PSRB
12-07-2017, 11:53 AM
I'm a bit distressed by the lack of ham, sausages and - most crucially - bread sauce.

I did say much the same, we will of course be having pigs in blankets. I might do a ham, if I can be arsed.

Bread sauce can **** off

World's End Stella
12-07-2017, 11:54 AM

Ham is for the post Christmas day brunch - however as we are heading up to the Lake District on the 27th there will be no post Christmas day brunch. Chipolatas with the Christmas dinner and Porky Whites for breakfast on the 26th.

No bread sauce because I know seriously bad food when I taste it.

Burney
12-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Ham is for the post Christmas day brunch - however as we are heading up to the Lake District on the 27th there will be no post Christmas day brunch. Chipolatas with the Christmas dinner and Porky Whites for breakfast on the 26th.

No bread sauce because I know seriously bad food when I taste it.

Brunch? What is this brunch of which you speak?

Boxing Day involves a simply enormous rib of beef, Yorkshires, roast potatoes, English mustard, etc, etc and bold, chewy Burgundies. Anything less would be blasphemy.

I shall ignore your absurd ignorance about bread sauce. You are merely foreign, so cannot be expected to appreciate the genius of it.

Pat Vegas
12-07-2017, 12:15 PM
I did say much the same, we will of course be having pigs in blankets. I might do a ham, if I can be arsed.

Bread sauce can **** off

Is bread sauce a new thing mainstream? I never had it before a few years ago.

Burney
12-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Is bread sauce a new thing mainstream? I never had it before a few years ago.

Not really, f. I've been eating it my entire life and I'm forty-fück years old.

Luis Anaconda
12-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Not really, f. I've been eating it my entire life and I'm forty-fück years old.

ah, I remember my forty-fücked birthday - happy days

barrybueno
12-07-2017, 01:08 PM

I'll be in Egypt so gawd knows... Sheeps brain? Camels bollox starter?

SWv2
12-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Coffee when I first wake up and the kids are doing the whole Santa thing.

A bottle of champagne or prosecco for breakfast, mixed with some orange juice as to not steam in.

Few beers from around mid-day when sorting out kitchen based issues, from there into Champagne as I have two bottles of Veuve Cliquot put to one side.

After dinner I will move onto wine, red naturally.

Turkey for food as it is traditional and insisted upon by others.

Sir C
12-07-2017, 02:03 PM
I'll be in Egypt so gawd knows... Sheeps brain? Camels bollox starter?

You know they don't allow booze there, right?

Pokster
12-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Yes they do... certainly in the hotels and local eateries, I don't expect bb to be slumming it

Burney
12-07-2017, 02:09 PM

Never mind that. It's the lads cutting his facking head off with a fruit knife he needs to be worrying about.

Sir C
12-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Never mind that. It's the lads cutting his facking head off with a fruit knife he needs to be worrying about.

At least after a few ales it wouldn't sting so much.

Burney
12-07-2017, 02:16 PM
At least after a few ales it wouldn't sting so much.

I've met bb and an orange jumpsuit really wouldn't suit him. :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
12-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Burney "I've met bb and an orange jumpsuit really wouldn't suit him. "

You have ?
That must have been a meeting of mind

Pokster
12-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Burney "I've met bb and an orange jumpsuit really wouldn't suit him. "

You have ?
That must have been a meeting of mind

bb was working at B&Q

Ash
12-07-2017, 02:49 PM
I've met bb and an orange jumpsuit really wouldn't suit him. :-(

I wonder where ISIS got their supply of standard-US-prison-issue orange jumpsuits from. :sherlock:

World's End Stella
12-07-2017, 03:08 PM

Boxing Day involves a simply enormous rib of beef, Yorkshires, roast potatoes, English mustard, etc, etc and bold, chewy Burgundies. Anything less would be blasphemy.

I shall ignore your absurd ignorance about bread sauce. You are merely foreign, so cannot be expected to appreciate the genius of it.

Well instead of brunch you can call it lunch or dinner or whatever you like - it is turkey leftovers, a roast ham and loads of bit and pieces that everyone gets stuck into over the course of the day.

As for bread sauce, I have met many English men and women over the course of my 22 years in this country but I know only two that like bread sauce. You and my FIL. :-(

Rich
12-07-2017, 03:09 PM

Soup. Spicy parsnip & cauliflower.

No need to thank me.

SWv2
12-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Well instead of brunch you can call it lunch or dinner or whatever you like - it is turkey leftovers, a roast ham and loads of bit and pieces that everyone gets stuck into over the course of the day.

As for bread sauce, I have met many English men and women over the course of my 22 years in this country but I know only two that like bread sauce. You and my FIL. :-(

Bread sauce is fúcking rank.

Rich
12-07-2017, 03:11 PM

My trip to Riyadh was an eye opener, I have to say. When they say there's no booze there is ACTUALLY no booze. Not a black market for it (that I could find). Nothing.

This meant water with lemon for dinner every night. Coffee is good, mind you.

World's End Stella
12-07-2017, 03:11 PM

Quite. It is one of many things beloved by the British (although not all) simply because they are used to it and too stubborn to admit that they might have got it wrong.

If you had asked me, I could have told you that Burney would like it. He's like that. :-)

PSRB
12-07-2017, 03:13 PM

As is Bread and Butter pudding

Rich
12-07-2017, 03:13 PM

Christmas Eve - A family dinner at the pub with facefulls of ale. Wd the pub.

Christmas Day - Venison (soaked in beer for 24 hours) & all the trimmings.

Boxing Day - The Boxing Day Hunt will be attended. Many ports will be taken with whatever food is served up at the pub afterwards.

Rich
12-07-2017, 03:15 PM

Do you have a good wine recommendation, B? I need to place my order this week.

Pat Vegas
12-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Quite. It is one of many things beloved by the British (although not all) simply because they are used to it and too stubborn to admit that they might have got it wrong.

If you had asked me, I could have told you that Burney would like it. He's like that. :-)

On the reverse side. I had a hot turkey sandwich in Canada after much hype.
It was horrendous.

World's End Stella
12-07-2017, 03:17 PM

With venison you want something big and slightly sweet. A Barolo or a California cabernet sauvignon would be suitable.

The latter can be acquired at a better price and is more likely to be drinking well, Barolos need age.

Sir C
12-07-2017, 03:18 PM

Chateau Haut-Brion. Chateau Latour. Liebfraumilch. Mateus Rosé.

World's End Stella
12-07-2017, 03:20 PM
With venison you want something big and slightly sweet. A Barolo or a California cabernet sauvignon would be suitable.

The latter can be acquired at a better price and is more likely to be drinking well, Barolos need age.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=IT23961

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=IT23261

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=US7261

PSRB
12-07-2017, 03:21 PM
https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=IT23961

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=IT23261

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=US7261

I've not placed an order with them for years. Can't remember my share number :rubchin:

SWv2
12-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Chateau Haut-Brion. Chateau Latour. Liebfraumilch. Mateus Rosé.

I simply march into the local O’Briens and purchase 12 bottles of Protocolo.

Don’t see the point in fúcking about as they all taste the same after a few glasses or a clatter of pre-beers.

Lot of ****ery surrounding wine.

Sir C
12-07-2017, 03:24 PM
I simply march into the local O’Briens and purchase 12 bottles of Protocolo.

Don’t see the point in fúcking about as they all taste the same after a few glasses or a clatter of pre-beers.

Lot of ****ery surrounding wine.

:clap: A classically Irish appreciation of taste, expressed in a typically nuanced manner, with bonus glorification of ignorance.

This post should be what you find on Wikipedia when you search 'Irish culture'. :hehe:

No offence like.

Viva Prat Vegas
12-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Have you ever had wine from a box with a tap on the bottom ?
Fun but a gimmick

Viva Prat Vegas
12-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Sir C " A classically Irish appreciation of taste, expressed in a typically nuanced manner, with bonus glorification of ignorance."

Dis'll do , dis'll do , won er dose

Burney
12-07-2017, 03:29 PM
I've not placed an order with them for years. Can't remember my share number :rubchin:

They're ace for me, as their HQ in Stevenage is only a 20 minute drive away and my wife works there, so can pick stuff up for me. I'm a big fan.

Burney
12-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Have you ever had wine from a box with a tap on the bottom ?
Fun but a gimmick

I've had some fine times necking glass after glass of plonk from a box. The best thing about them is that you can't see how much you've had.

Viva Prat Vegas
12-07-2017, 03:34 PM
And they don't take up much room in the recycling bin
Squash it down
Boom

SWv2
12-07-2017, 03:35 PM
I've had some fine times necking glass after glass of plonk from a box. The best thing about them is that you can't see how much you've had.

Best bit about them is that you just tear off the box and carry the silver bag around. A bag of wine.

It is my number 1 festival tip for the kids. None of this fúcking modern nonsense about wet wipes and phone chargers, boxes of wine.

Burney
12-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Best bit about them is that you just tear off the box and carry the silver bag around. A bag of wine.

It is my number 1 festival tip for the kids. None of this fúcking modern nonsense about wet wipes and phone chargers, boxes of wine.

My tip for attending test matches where they stop you bringing loads of booze in is to take the bag out of its box and place it on the bottom of your rucksack. The people searching will see the silver and assume it's the back of a picnic blanket or something. Off you go with four bottles of wine in your bag and a good day in prospect. Also a handy pillow when it's emptied and you're wànkered.

MickeyPearce
12-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Bush Meat if I'm lucky.

Will be in Nigeria helping Kanu at one of his hospitals.

Bouldie, Vik and myself drew straws...think I got stitched up.