PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to a christmas carol service this evening.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:34 PM
My problem is that I will be surrounded by the glw's work colleagues, and, of course, christmas carols make me blub like a baby. :cry:

You know that if you go look inside some stables at midnight on christmas eve all the animals bow? I saw this phenomenon once when I was a child.

:cry:

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 01:36 PM
My problem is that I will be surrounded by the glw's work colleagues, and, of course, christmas carols make me blub like a baby. :cry:

You know that if you go look inside some stables at midnight on christmas eve all the animals bow? I saw this phenomenon once when I was a child.

Soft. As. Custard.

I had my son's last night, at his school. And while the scene was quite stunning, I wish I knew more of the carols. They sing all the religious ones and then at the end you get Hark the Herald Angels Sing, which is the only one I know.

Every year, without fail. :-(

Burney
12-04-2017, 01:37 PM

Will your glw be singing?

In proper Scrooge fashion, I opted out of the work Secret Santa bòllocks and the Christmas party today. Quite liberating.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Soft. As. Custard.

I had my son's last night, at his school. And while the scene was quite stunning, I wish I knew more of the carols. They sing all the religious ones and then at the end you get Hark the Herald Angels Sing, which is the only one I know.

You don't know the religious ones? Fúcking heathen.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Will your glw be singing?

In proper Scrooge fashion, I opted out of the work Secret Santa bòllocks and the Christmas party today. Quite liberating.

No, not this year.

Aww, it's christmas, b. Don't be a grinch. Nobody likes a grinch. :-(

Burney
12-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Soft. As. Custard.

What of Adestes Fideles? That was always my favourite. Do they even do Latin anymore? Personally, i’m Thinking of doing an evening course in it - if I can find one.

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 01:41 PM
You don't know the religious ones? Fúcking heathen.

Nope :shakehead:

And I must say, they are the worst example of lyrics EVER! FACT.

You get to the end of the line and it seems like the tune has a while to go and yet there is only one word left. So they drag they one word out for about 10 different notes. :hehe:

Awful. :-(

Burney
12-04-2017, 01:42 PM
No, not this year.

Aww, it's christmas, b. Don't be a grinch. Nobody likes a grinch. :-(

Meh. fùck ‘em - as Scrooge would doubtless have said if they could’ve got it past the censors back then.

Actually, the idea of a sweary Scrooge has comic potential imo.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Nope :shakehead:

And I must say, they are the worst example of lyrics EVER! FACT.

You get to the end of the line and it seems like the tune has a while to go and yet there is only one word left. So they drag they one word out for about 10 different notes. :hehe:

Awful. :-(

I look forward to you explaining those comments on Judgement Day. Well, I say, 'explaining those comments', I mean, 'roasting in the sulphurous flames of hellfire for all eternity.' :hehe:

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 01:44 PM
What of Adestes Fideles? That was always my favourite. Do they even do Latin anymore? Personally, i’m Thinking of doing an evening course in it - if I can find one.

No Adestes Fideles in sight, sadly as I quite like that one. My son took Latin up until last year and has now dropped it. Shame as he was quite good at it but it is definitely on the outs. Loads of it about in the services though, even his house they don't have attendance or registration or whatever, it's called Ad Sum and they have to say 'sum' when their name is called.

I find Latin quite stirring, always makes me feel nostalgic and, for some reason, safe. If you see what I mean.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Meh. fùck ‘em - as Scrooge would doubtless have said if they could’ve got it past the censors back then.

Actually, the idea of a sweary Scrooge has comic potential imo.

Who are these ''em' of whom you speak, b? Your fellow men? Surely at this season of goodwill towards all men you can put away your (perfectly understandable) misanthropy and follow the Lord's advice? Just for these few short weeks?

Burney
12-04-2017, 01:47 PM
No Adestes Fideles in sight, sadly as I quite like that one. My son took Latin up until last year and has now dropped it. Shame as he was quite good at it but it is definitely on the outs. Loads of it about in the services though, even his house they don't have attendance or registration or whatever, it's called Ad Sum and they have to say 'sum' when their name is called.

I find Latin quite stirring, always makes me feel nostalgic and, for some reason, safe. If you see what I mean.

The year after I left, my school hired its first non-classicist as headmaster. Now they let girls in the sixth form. Slippery slope, y’see?

I just like the idea of quipping in Latin just to be a cùnt.

Burney
12-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Who are these ''em' of whom you speak, b? Your fellow men? Surely at this season of goodwill towards all men you can put away your (perfectly understandable) misanthropy and follow the Lord's advice? Just for these few short weeks?

Nah. Fùck ‘em even more in these couple of weeks. Cùnts.

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 01:48 PM
The year after I left, my school hired its first non-classicist as headmaster. Now they let girls in the sixth form. Slippery slope, y’see?

Oh yes. :nod:

Girls began attending my son's school for 6th form few years back. They just announced it's full on coed in a few years. :-(

The year after my son is finished. :cloud9:

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Nah. Fùck ‘em even more in these couple of weeks. Cùnts.

I hope you get fúck all for christmas and get to spend your eternity in hell chewing on overcooked turkey breast, Mr fúcking buzzkill.

Burney
12-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Oh yes. :nod:

Girls began attending my son's school for 6th form few years back. They just announced it's full on coed in a few years. :-(

The year after my son is finished. :cloud9:

Is it Charterhouse, did you say? Bad business.

This country’s single-sex public schools are some of its only truly elite and world-beating institutions. We seem determined to ruin them by letting chicks in :-(

SWv2
12-04-2017, 01:52 PM

I am attending one on Thursday as my daughter has somehow got herself involved in a “folk group” at school. Now this obviously throws up all sorts of worrying musical scenarios but what can you do. Coupled with the absolute fact that she is arguably as bad a singer as I have ever heard in my life, truly leave the room stuff. So factor in 20-30 of them.

I know one of the songs they are doing but cannot recall, safe to say however it is not Folk by any stretch or definition.

Then I find out that said “folk” act are only one of a list of acts – Scoil Rock (the school music band), a trad group, a tin whistle group, an ordinary choir etc.

Shít scenes.

World's End Stella
I hope you get fúck all for christmas and get to spend your eternity in hell chewing on overcooked turkey breast, Mr fúcking buzzkill.

The Queen's speech on Christmas day. I simply will not let the in-laws begin eating my Christmas dinner until we've listened to it. :nod:

They tell me that's sweet in a very patronizing 'what a nice colonial you are' manner. :-(

Burney

I’m going to have to cook a fùcking turkey. That’s a major factor in my misery :-(

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Is it Charterhouse, did you say? Bad business.

This country’s single-sex public schools are some of its only truly elite and world-beating institutions. We seem determined to ruin them by letting chicks in :-(

:nod: We are as one on this one, Burney. Not sure how much is driven by economics as opposed to political correctness.

But going to the various activities for parents leaves you with a tremendous sense of history and tradition, I find it almost spiritual in some way.

And then the bints arrive and ruin the whole thing. :-(

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:54 PM
I’m going to have to cook a fùcking turkey. That’s a major factor in my misery :-(

I've got to do that on 28th :-( And I need to do a vegetarian dish as well :-(

At least I've got gooses on christmas day.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:55 PM
The Queen's speech on Christmas day. I simply will not let the in-laws begin eating my Christmas dinner until we've listened to it. :nod:

They tell me that's sweet in a very patronizing 'what a nice colonial you are' manner. :-(

She's not talking to you; she's talking to us. Her proud, loyal subjects. People like me, burney, jorge and sw, not foreigners like you.

Pokster
12-04-2017, 01:55 PM

And I get called the chip pisser around here :rolleyes:

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 01:56 PM
I've got to do that on 28th :-( And I need to do a vegetarian dish as well :-(

At least I've got gooses on christmas day.

Do you slow roast goose until it's cooked through but falling off the bone or do you try and leave the breast pink?

I always struggle with roast duck or goose as roasting the bird whole makes it do difficult to get the legs and the breast just as you need them. :rubchin:

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:56 PM
:nod: We are as one on this one, Burney. Not sure how much is driven by economics as opposed to political correctness.

But going to the various activities for parents leaves you with a tremendous sense of history and tradition, I find it almost spiritual in some way.

And then the bints arrive and ruin the whole thing. :-(

A few chicks were allowed into my 6th form the year I started my A levels. It was fúcking magnificent. :cloud9:

SWv2
12-04-2017, 01:57 PM
She's not talking to you; she's talking to us. Her proud, loyal subjects. People like me, burney, jorge and sw, not foreigners like you.

Did she not skip it last year or am I imaging things?

They should get that saucy little tramp Meghan to do it.

Pokster
A few chicks were allowed into my 6th form the year I started my A levels. It was fúcking magnificent. :cloud9:

I bet you gave some of them their first "A" levels.. eh eh

Sir C
Do you slow roast goose until it's cooked through but falling off the bone or do you try and leave the breast pink?

I always struggle with roast duck or goose as roasting the bird whole makes it do difficult to get the legs and the breast just as you need them. :rubchin:

You have to joint the fúckers. It's just like jointing a chicken but slippery with grease.

It feels quite sexy, actually.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Did she not skip it last year or am I imaging things?

They should get that saucy little tramp Meghan to do it.

I haven't seen it for years, to be fair. I'm either cooking or píssed at that point.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:59 PM
I am attending one on Thursday as my daughter has somehow got herself involved in a “folk group” at school. Now this obviously throws up all sorts of worrying musical scenarios but what can you do. Coupled with the absolute fact that she is arguably as bad a singer as I have ever heard in my life, truly leave the room stuff. So factor in 20-30 of them.

I know one of the songs they are doing but cannot recall, safe to say however it is not Folk by any stretch or definition.

Then I find out that said “folk” act are only one of a list of acts – Scoil Rock (the school music band), a trad group, a tin whistle group, an ordinary choir etc.

Shít scenes.

:hehe: Sure dere'll be ceilidh/craic/some daft fúcker with thon stupid drum.

SWv2
12-04-2017, 02:00 PM
I haven't seen it for years, to be fair. I'm either cooking or píssed at that point.

Indeed, daytime Xmas Day television is now an utter irrelevance.

I mean jingoistic joshing aside does anybody really watch your Queen? And if so then why??

Ash
12-04-2017, 02:01 PM

:hehe: You mug, WES. It's bad enough all the sheeple here bowing and scraping before that seedy crime firm, but you colonials really should be able to see through it.

SWv2
12-04-2017, 02:02 PM
:hehe: Sure dere'll be ceilidh/craic/some daft fúcker with thon stupid drum.

The son joyously informed me that the school rock band do a version of Sweet Home Alabama.

You genuinely could not make this shít up.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 02:03 PM
Indeed, daytime Xmas Day television is now an utter irrelevance.

I mean jingoistic joshing aside does anybody really watch your Queen? And if so then why??

My mother would have been devastated to miss it so it may be a generational thing. Not many of her generation left now, in fairness. I'm not sure it matters, though. If she fancies chatting on TV for 10 minutes once a year, sho's going to stop her? She is the queen, after all.

SWv2
12-04-2017, 02:04 PM
My mother would have been devastated to miss it so it may be a generational thing. Not many of her generation left now, in fairness. I'm not sure it matters, though. If she fancies chatting on TV for 10 minutes once a year, sho's going to stop her? She is the queen, after all.

Indeed, she will be dead soon and leaving whatever you are doing to listen to Charles just isn't happening.

RIP your so called Royal Family.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 02:04 PM
The son joyously informed me that the school rock band do a version of Sweet Home Alabama.

You genuinely could not make this shít up.

I thought the Irish were the blacks of europe? You can't be singing Sweet Home Alabama!

Sir C
12-04-2017, 02:05 PM
I bet you gave some of them their first "A" levels.. eh eh

You're touching yourself, aren't you? :-(

Burney
12-04-2017, 02:11 PM
You have to joint the fúckers. It's just like jointing a chicken but slippery with grease.

It feels quite sexy, actually.

Raymond's method of confit-ing the legs and quickly roasting the breasts so they're still pink is rather good imo.

Mind, there's never much on a goose, is there? You need at least two to make a decent spread.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Raymond's method of confit-ing the legs and quickly roasting the breasts so they're still pink is rather good imo.

Mind, there's never much on a goose, is there? You need at least two to make a decent spread.

I get two large ones and they feed 8 with plenty left for sarnies after.

Burney
12-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Indeed, she will be dead soon and leaving whatever you are doing to listen to Charles just isn't happening.

You fundamentally fail to understand the nature of a monarchy, sw. it is about continuity. It is about the holy mystery of divine anointment and the atavistic belief in the land and king being one. It doesn't matter who they are, it matters what they are.

We've had shït kings before - some of them so shît we've had to kill them and even Chas is unlikely to be that bad. However, we persist with monarchy because it works. One slightly irritating king won't change that.

Burney
12-04-2017, 02:17 PM
I get two large ones and they feed 8 with plenty left for sarnies after.

I bought a huge fücker a few years back and it only barely fed five.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 02:19 PM
I bought a huge fücker a few years back and it only barely fed five.

You bought a duck, didn't you? #irish :hehe:

Sir C
12-04-2017, 02:19 PM

Well, there's no need to be offensive, is there?

Pokster
12-04-2017, 02:40 PM
You're touching yourself, aren't you? :-(

No, your mum is touching me

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 03:15 PM

I did that with goose the one time I've done it for Christmas dinner. The legs were divine, the goose gravy a triumph but I overcooked the breasts and still haven't forgiven Mark Hix for it as it was his recipe.

I do a similar thing with turkey. Braise the legs, roast the breast and make turkey gravy with the rest of the carcass. Other than chicken, I don't there is a type of bird that can be roasted whole and still get the best out of it.

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 03:19 PM
:hehe: You mug, WES. It's bad enough all the sheeple here bowing and scraping before that seedy crime firm, but you colonials really should be able to see through it.

I like tradition, Ash. I come from a country which has none, really. And whatever tradition Canada has they are usually more than willing to compromise it if someone complains about it. And on a related topic, did anyone see the Canadian PM shedding a tear as he apologized to all LGTB etc people for the discrimination they had experienced over the years? :clap: I mentioned it to my parents on Sunday night and they were less than impressed. My father's comment was 'remember what he did before he became PM, he was a f*cking drama teacher for Christ's sake'. :hehe:

I like the Queen. She has a lovely accent and reminds me of a simpler time. At Christmas, this is the sort of thing a chap should relish in, I think.