PDA

View Full Version : On balance, I'm not sure I don't prefer the usual type of game against Mourinho sides

Burney
12-04-2017, 09:41 AM
You know the ones - loads of possession, but no penetration and they win by a goal or two.

Actually having shítloads of chances and still losing 1-3 was even more galling, if anything.

IUFG
12-04-2017, 09:45 AM
You know the ones - loads of possession, but no penetration and they win by a goal or two.

Actually having shítloads of chances and still losing 1-3 was even more galling, if anything.

The match only panned out the way it did because The Arsenal's defence gifted the ****s two ****ing goals in the first ten minutes.

We weren't 'brave' or 'unlucky' (as I have read elsewhere), we absolutely played into a Mourinho team's game plan. We didn't make it hard for them.

De Gea? The double save was class, but the rest of them were no better than Fabianski's when Swansea beat us at home.

In short, Wenger out.

Burney
12-04-2017, 09:48 AM
The match only panned out the way it did because The Arsenal's defence gifted the ****s two ****ing goals in the first ten minutes.

We weren't 'brave' or 'unlucky' (as I have read elsewhere), we absolutely played into a Mourinho team's game plan. We didn't make it hard for them.

De Gea? The double save was class, but the rest of them were no better than Fabianski's when Swansea beat us at home.

In short, Wenger out.

True. Although that said, I did find going two goals down quite calming. It removed the hope that normally makes big games so unbearable. Unfortunately, when we got a goal back, the tension returned - until, of course, they wandered up the other end and scored.

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 09:55 AM

In short, Wenger out.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that about De Gea. The double save from Lacazette/Sanchez was astonishingly good however the rest or them were poor finishing or, in most cases, just bad luck for us.

Not convinced we played into Mourinho's game plan, though. They had to win and he knew it so they actually came to play. And other than a poor start (how many times has that happened to us in big matches over the past 5-6 years) we played them off the park. Had they soaked pressure while looking comfortable I would agree with you, but we really ripped them apart.

Apart from the start, I really enjoyed it. :-)

Tony C
12-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Reminded a bit of that bizzare game vs Charlton at Highbury.

Went 1nil up and then found ourselves 4-1 down...had 27 shots in goal that day.

Sometimes sh it happens.

IUFG
12-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Reminded a bit of that bizzare game vs Charlton at Highbury.

Went 1nil up and then found ourselves 4-1 down...had 27 shots in goal that day.

Sometimes sh it happens.

Richard ****ing Wright

Ash
12-04-2017, 10:13 AM

:nod: Between 2-0 and 3-1 it was a cracking game. At 2-1 it was next goal wins it but as soon as the Chilean gave the ball away I knew it was all over. Presumably we wouldn't have battered them like that if we hadn't given them the two goal head start.

Burney
12-04-2017, 10:16 AM
:nod: Between 2-0 and 3-1 it was a cracking game. At 2-1 it was next goal wins it but as soon as the Chilean gave the ball away I knew it was all over. Presumably we wouldn't have battered them like that if we hadn't given them the two goal head start.

No. If we hadn't given them a two-goal headstart, we'd have tried to be cagey... and still lost by two goals.

PSRB
12-04-2017, 10:24 AM
No. If we hadn't given them a two-goal headstart, we'd have tried to be cagey... and still lost by two goals.

I thought we went at them from the word go, another day and we win that game comfortably. We played as well, if not better, than we did against spurs. You just can't give any side a 2-0 headstart, let alone United.

De Gea was superb but our finishing was awful, as was the referee.

Ash
12-04-2017, 10:24 AM

Great atmosphere though, going for it like that. Apparently we had a decent shout for a pen near the end, even though I didn't think it was at the time.

Burney
12-04-2017, 10:29 AM
I thought we went at them from the word go, another day and we win that game comfortably. We played as well, if not better, than we did against spurs. You just can't give any side a 2-0 headstart, let alone United.

The difference is that against Spurs we defended superbly - particularly Mustafi. Against United we were terrible - particularly Mustafi.

Burney
12-04-2017, 10:30 AM

Yeah, although at times it did put me in mind of Ossie Ardiles' period managing Spurs where he kept playing five up front and wondering why he kept losing.

PSRB
12-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Yeah, although at times it did put me in mind of Ossie Ardiles' period managing Spurs where he kept playing five up front and wondering why he kept losing.

I was thinking Keegan's Newcastle side, at the time

SWv2
12-04-2017, 10:36 AM

Apart from the possible Welbeck pen I thought he did okay, certainly far from awful.

Big call on Pogba, correct one but would not have been surprised to see yellow. Would have been roaring for yellow had it been one of our chaps.

PSRB
12-04-2017, 10:41 AM
Apart from the possible Welbeck pen I thought he did okay, certainly far from awful.

Big call on Pogba, correct one but would not have been surprised to see yellow. Would have been roaring for yellow had it been one of our chaps.

3 pens not given, 2 obvious (the one on Lacazette was blindingly obvious).

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
12-04-2017, 10:41 AM
True. Although that said, I did find going two goals down quite calming. It removed the hope that normally makes big games so unbearable. Unfortunately, when we got a goal back, the tension returned - until, of course, they wandered up the other end and scored.

yes, not sure what Kos was thinking there.... perhaps I have answered my own question?

Peter
12-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that about De Gea. The double save from Lacazette/Sanchez was astonishingly good however the rest or them were poor finishing or, in most cases, just bad luck for us.

Not convinced we played into Mourinho's game plan, though. They had to win and he knew it so they actually came to play. And other than a poor start (how many times has that happened to us in big matches over the past 5-6 years) we played them off the park. Had they soaked pressure while looking comfortable I would agree with you, but we really ripped them apart.

THe save from Lukaku was pretty great.

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 01:32 PM
THe save from Lukaku was pretty great.

Ish, it deflected off his body so was hardly moving with any amount of pace.

I appreciate keepers aren't your area of knowledge, Peter, but don't you think Cech should have done better with the first? Not sure a keeper should be beaten between his legs from that angle, his body shape looked wrong to me.

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:35 PM

I appreciate keepers aren't your area of knowledge, Peter, but don't you think Cech should have done better with the first? Not sure a keeper should be beaten between his legs from that angle, his body shape looked wrong to me.

Thank you, Lev Yashin.

World's End Stella
12-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Thank you, Lev Yashin.

I read something about Lev this morning, possible in Syed's article in the Times.

Did you know he let in two goals in an international tournament game once and the Russkis never forgave him? His wife said they used to write unrepeatable things in the dirt on his car.

Good ole Russkis. :-)

Sir C
12-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I read something about Lev this morning, possible in Syed's article in the Times.

Did you know he let in two goals in an international tournament game once and the Russkis never forgave him? His wife said they used to write unrepeatable things in the dirt on his car.

Good ole Russkis. :-)

I won't read anything about commies in case it's catching.

Burney
12-04-2017, 01:45 PM

I’ve beaten your mum between the legs from all sorts of angles.

Peter
12-04-2017, 01:48 PM

Sometimes the slower shot is harder to save, particularly when unexpected. It was a lovely save, great hands. My favourite of the lot. THe 'double save'.....he stuck a ****ing leg out when Sanchez hit his shot and it smacked into his studs. Big wow, exactly what I would have done. Pure luck. He made two good saves earlier on, pushing both wide and out for corners/throws. They look like ordinary saves but they are not- he is very carefully parrying away from play. THe lad is a superb goalkeeper but I dont think that was necessarily his best game.

I would have to look at the first goal again to see and I dont want to look at it.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Richard ****ing Wright

Farks sake I'd forgotten that - I was there I think - was that the game our brazilians were queuing up to stick it in their own net?

SWv2
12-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Farks sake I'd forgotten that - I was there I think - was that the game our brazilians were queuing up to stick it in their own net?

That was Boro I think.