PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with sufficient musical taste to appreciate the Stones

World's End Stella
11-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Netflix has a new documentary called Crossfire Hurricane. Takes you through their entire history with a large number of photos and clips that I had never seen before.

Most excellent.

Sir C
11-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Netflix has a new documentary called Crossfire Hurricane. Takes you through their entire history with a large number of photos and clips that I had never seen before.

Most excellent.

Novelty act who spent a whole career wishing they could be half as good as The Faces.

World's End Stella
11-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Novelty act who spent a whole career wishing they could be half as good as The Faces.

If you're going to stir, make the coffee at least vaguely palatable.

Ignoring the obvious ones, favourite lesser known Stones song. For me this is very difficult as there are so many but I'll go with:

Sweet Virginia

Burney
11-29-2017, 01:28 PM

I don’t think one can really dislike the Stones. They’re alright. Not great, not terrible, just... alright.

Sir C
11-29-2017, 01:30 PM
I don’t think one can really dislike the Stones. They’re alright. Not great, not terrible, just... alright.

Meh. Jagger's preening is almost as irritating as that of Mercury and... don't you think, with all that undoubted talent, (Keef), it's criminal that they failed to leave us with a heaving mass of Great Songs?

Burney
11-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Meh. Jagger's preening is almost as irritating as that of Mercury and... don't you think, with all that undoubted talent, (Keef), it's criminal that they failed to leave us with a heaving mass of Great Songs?

They stuck to a very simple formula and never really tried to innovate. Jagger’s act is just that. If it didn’t work, someone as bright and calculating as him woukd have changed it.

That’s the thing, really. The Stones have been a cynical money-making machine for so long, it’s difficult to remember that they might have been something else once upon a time.

SWv2
11-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Exit on Main Street and Let it Bleed are the only two I own/possess. Actually think I have some kind of Greatest Hits covering a certain early period.

Some stone cold absolute classics it must be said.

Wd Stones.

Burney
11-29-2017, 01:37 PM
Exit on Main Street and Let it Bleed are the only two I own/possess. Actually think I have some kind of Greatest Hits covering a certain early period.

Wd Stones.

Beggar’s Banquet is my favourite. Exile on Main Street - like all double albums - would have been a great single album.

ITSUPFORGRABSNOW
11-29-2017, 01:53 PM
They stuck to a very simple formula and never really tried to innovate. Jagger’s act is just that. If it didn’t work, someone as bright and calculating as him woukd have changed it.

That’s the thing, really. The Stones have been a cynical money-making machine for so long, it’s difficult to remember that they might have been something else once upon a time.

Clever bloke Mick, did he not insist his Daughters did their A levels despite being paid loads as Models?

Luis Anaconda
11-29-2017, 02:00 PM

Yep - it's weird. They are an act whose best days were before even we were born, b. Maybe not WES who might actually be in his 60s. No idea what they were like as a new act (save video footage etc). Probably a bit like when S Club 7 came through to challenge Steps I reckon

Peter
11-29-2017, 02:01 PM

Don't ever say that again. You must realise how it makes you look.

Peter
11-29-2017, 02:03 PM

Wd Stones.

Sticky fingers is a must.

Sir C
11-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Don't ever say that again. You must realise how it makes you look.

My musical choices are based on merit, p. Not what makes me fit in with the cool kids at school.

Peter
11-29-2017, 02:06 PM
My musical choices are based on merit, p. Not what makes me fit in with the cool kids at school.

It is one of the silliest statements i have ever heard.

Burney
11-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Mate, you work in academia. That simply can’t be true?

Sir C
11-29-2017, 02:10 PM

What you mean is that you don't agree with it, and you're so inculcated in your Marxist ideology that you can't comprehend the possibility of anyone failing to share 'correct' opinions.

You've reported me to Owen Jones, haven't you? :-(

SWv2
11-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Sticky fingers is a must.

I have my doubts about the accuracy of this statement, especially considering who wrote it, and the general subject.

7sisters
11-29-2017, 02:13 PM
What you mean is that you don't agree with it, and you're so inculcated in your Marxist ideology that you can't comprehend the possibility of anyone failing to share 'correct' opinions.

Surely, Gimme Shelter, must rank as having one of the all time best intro's... ever ?

Sir C
11-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Surely, Gimme Shelter must rank as one of the all time best intro's... ever ?

They wrote a great intro... talk about being damned with faint praise :clap:

7sisters
11-29-2017, 02:19 PM
They wrote a great intro... talk about being damned with faint praise :clap:

Nonsense, Start me up, Beast of Burden, Paint it black, Miss you, Can't you hear me knocking.. Some good, solid crafting there ?

Sir C
11-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Nonsense, Start me up, Beast of Burden, Paint it black, Miss you, Can't you hear me knocking.. Some good, solid crafting there ?

Yes, some good pop songs, indeed. But nothing of depth, heft or greatness.

Burney
11-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Yes, some good pop songs, indeed. But nothing of depth, heft or greatness.

'depth, heft or greatness'? :hehe: Have you been reading the NME again?

Peter
11-29-2017, 02:24 PM

Its not the fact that you don't rate the stones. You are free to like what you like. Its the reference to the faces that makes it an idiotic statement. I let it go the first time. I am running out of patience.....

Peter
11-29-2017, 02:26 PM
I have my doubts about the accuracy of this statement, especially considering who wrote it, and the general subject.

Its a great album, and as a bonus you get to see where the verve got their sound from :D

Sir C
11-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Its not the fact that you don't rate the stones. You are free to like what you like. Its the reference to the faces that makes it an idiotic statement. I let it go the first time. I am running out of patience.....

Bit obscure for you, p?

Sir C
11-29-2017, 02:27 PM
'depth, heft or greatness'? :hehe: Have you been reading the NME again?

God forbid. The NME that I knew would never have contemplated writing something as lumpen as that. Those fúckers rejected the idea of meaningful sentences entirely.

Peter
11-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Bit obscure for you, p?

Its just such utter nonsense. You are better than the that.

Apart from anything else, the faces were pretty ****, rod aside.

Sir C
11-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Its just such utter nonsense. You are better than the that.

Apart from anything else, the faces were pretty ****, rod aside.

Well. I'm not sure what the two Ronnies would make of that, I'm sure.

Burney
11-29-2017, 02:33 PM

To be honest, I find The Faces a bit dull. Just a bit pub/wedding band, really.

Peter
11-29-2017, 02:34 PM

Even their biggest fan would surely admit the songs lack depth and heft? Good working class fun and all that but it's hardly music for the ages is it. Pub rock with a great singer who wisely went solo at the first opportunity.

Peter
11-29-2017, 02:35 PM
To be honest, I find The Faces a bit dull. Just a bit pub/wedding band, really.

Great minds etc :)

Sir C
11-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Even their biggest fan would surely admit the songs lack depth and heft? Good working class fun and all that but it's hardly music for the ages is it. Pub rock with a great singer who wisely went solo at the first opportunity.

Quite possibly, yet twice the band the Stoines were :shrug:

Peter
11-29-2017, 02:36 PM
Mate, you work in academia. That simply can’t be true?

I dont, not really. I must admit I meant silliest statement regarding music.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-29-2017, 02:51 PM

Oh do be quiet you querulous old stoat. "Sympathy For the Devil". There you see c. I've made you look ridicules with a simple song title.

Sir C
11-29-2017, 02:55 PM
Oh do be quiet you querulous old stoat. "Sympathy For the Devil". There you see c. I've made you look ridicules with a simple song title.

"I Should Be So Lucky" was a catchy pop song as well, h, but wasn't really to my taste.

Each to his own; you like that sort of thing, Westlife and The Osmonds and Paul Weller. Bit of Cliff Richard at christmas? Fine. I'm not one to judge you, I just don't fancy it myself.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-29-2017, 03:00 PM
"I Should Be So Lucky" was a catchy pop song as well, h, but wasn't really to my taste.

Each to his own; you like that sort of thing, Westlife and The Osmonds and Paul Weller. Bit of Cliff Richard at christmas? Fine. I'm not one to judge you, I just don't fancy it myself.

What on earth is your problem with The Osmonds man?

CRAY-ZEH HAW-SES....WHAAAAAA!!! WHAAAAA!!!!!! CRAY-ZEH HAW-SES

As edgy a piece of rock 'n roll as ever hit the charts c. I don't suppose 'Dancing in the Dark' is a pop song then?

Peter
11-29-2017, 03:00 PM

Stop being a big pudding about it.

Sir C
11-29-2017, 03:02 PM
What on earth is your problem with The Osmonds man?

CRAY-ZEH HAW-SES....WHAAAAAA!!! WHAAAAA!!!!!! CRAY-ZEH HAW-SES

As edgy a piece of rock 'n roll as ever hit the charts c. I don't suppose 'Dancing in the Dark' is a pop song then?

'Dancing In The Dark' is indeed a pop song. There is nothing wrong with pop songs. I rather like some pop songs. They're not my favourite genre, though, nor do they constitute Great Music.

I'm going to level with you about the Osmonds; I prefer Jimmy's solo work.

Sir C
11-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Stop being a big pudding about it.

I'm sorry Comrade I agree with you I realise now that I misspoke due to failing to check my privilege you're absolutely correct please don't send me back to the camps!

Burney
11-29-2017, 03:05 PM

You know you're exhibiting the very musical snobbishness you so readily mock in others, don't you?

Peter
11-29-2017, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry Comrade I agree with you I realise now that I misspoke due to failing to check my privilege you're absolutely correct please don't send me back to the camps!

Stop it. You must stop....

Sir C
11-29-2017, 03:07 PM
You know you're exhibiting the very musical snobbishness you so readily mock in others, don't you?

I am doing abolutely nothing of the sort. I am simply failing to change my opinion to agree with that of others. I find it remarkable that one is simply not allowed to hold a view which doesn't fit with current orthodoxy, be it in the matter of transers, Islamists or the perceived greatness of the Rolling Stones. :shrug:

I don't think they're a great band. I don't know why that offends you all so much.

Burney
11-29-2017, 03:09 PM
I am doing abolutely nothing of the sort. I am simply failing to change my opinion to agree with that of others. I find it remarkable that one is simply not allowed to hold a view which doesn't fit with current orthodoxy, be it in the matter of transers, Islamists or the perceived greatness of the Rolling Stones. :shrug:

I don't think they're a great band. I don't know why that offends you all so much.

No, I don't mean you not liking the Rolling Stones, I mean the way in which you denigrate the 'mere' pop song.

Bergkamp Was Best
11-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Christmas time, mistletoe and wine...

:hide:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-29-2017, 03:10 PM
'Dancing In The Dark' is indeed a pop song. There is nothing wrong with pop songs. I rather like some pop songs. They're not my favourite genre, though, nor do they constitute Great Music.

I'm going to level with you about the Osmonds; I prefer Jimmy's solo work.

It is difficult to argue with the pungent cynicism of 'Long Haired Lover From Liverpool' c I must grant you but Marie's 'Paper Roses' must surely contend also?

Sir C
11-29-2017, 03:11 PM
No, I don't mean you not liking the Rolling Stones, I mean the way in which you denigrate the 'mere' pop song.

You haven't read what I have written. Time and again I have said that there is nothing wrong with a good pop song and that I enjoy many pop songs. I do not consider, however, that pop songs constitute Great Music. That's not denigration, that's simple reality.

World's End Stella
11-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Its a great album, and as a bonus you get to see where the verve got their sound from :D

Their best and my favourite. Beggars Banquet is two great songs and 8 fillers. Prodigal Son and Salt of the Earth being slightly better than filler I suppose.

In contrast, Sticky Fingers is two great songs and several pieces of highly underrated genius. Specifically, You Gotta Move, Moonlight Mile, I Got the Blues and Dead Flowers.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-29-2017, 03:12 PM

G'warn b! Give the grizzled old dodgy wheeler dealer what for. (he'll be prising his pilot's licence into the debate at any second).

Burney
11-29-2017, 03:14 PM
You haven't read what I have written. Time and again I have said that there is nothing wrong with a good pop song and that I enjoy many pop songs. I do not consider, however, that pop songs constitute Great Music. That's not denigration, that's simple reality.

Wash your mouth out! I would refer you to the Smokey Robinson and Sam Cooke back catalogues. Both pop. Both great.

'Not 'great music' my white, hairy arse!

Sir C
11-29-2017, 03:14 PM
G'warn b! Give the grizzled old dodgy wheeler dealer what for. (he'll be prising his pilot's licence into the debate at any second).

I had a display routine one season which used Robbie Williams' 'Let Me Entertain You' as its soundtrack. I thought it an excellent pop song, and it suited the high energy display routine perfectly. It was a very dynamic show with plenty of downeard flicks and tumbles, h.

World's End Stella
11-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Wash your mouth out! I would refer you to the Smokey Robinson and Sam Cooke back catalogues. Both pop. Both great.

You surprise me there, Burney. I love Sam, but I would never have imagined he was your sort. Surprise, surprise

Sir C
11-29-2017, 03:16 PM

The Great stuff is Soul Music. The great pop stuff is pop music. They could do both.

Kindly remove your pasty buttocks from the discussion.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-29-2017, 03:20 PM
I had a display routine one season which used Robbie Williams' 'Let Me Entertain You' as its soundtrack. I thought it an excellent pop song, and it suited the high energy display routine perfectly. It was a very dynamic show with plenty of downeard flicks and tumbles, h.

Oh I say c. You are, at times, so very dashing.

Burney
11-29-2017, 03:22 PM
The Great stuff is Soul Music. The great pop stuff is pop music. They could do both.

Kindly remove your pasty buttocks from the discussion.

Entirely arbitrary and meaningless distinction. The three-minute pop song is everything the music you describe as 'great' is built on - regardless of sub-genre.
You are falling into precisely the NME trap of downgrading something artistically purely because it is well-crafted and popular.

Sir C
11-29-2017, 03:22 PM
Oh I say c. You are, at times, so very dashing.

I experimented with having it piped into my headset but found that it increased the adrenaline rush so much as to make accurate flying almost impossible. It was, in short, dangerous if I could hear it.

Burney
11-29-2017, 03:23 PM
I experimented with having it piped into my headset but found that it increased the adrenaline rush so much as to make accurate flying almost impossible. It was, in short, dangerous if I could hear it.

But were you humming it in your head?

Sir C
11-29-2017, 03:24 PM
Entirely arbitrary and meaningless distinction. The three-minute pop song is everything the music you describe as 'great' is built on - regardless of sub-genre.
You are falling into precisely the NME trap of downgrading something purely because it is well-crafted and popular.

Given a different paradigm you would, I know, argue that Tolstoy is better than Archer, so bóllocks to you. :hehe:

Sir C
11-29-2017, 03:25 PM
But were you humming it in your head?

I was. Probably bursting into song on occasion, as well.

There's nothing quite as exhilirating... :sigh:

Burney
11-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Given a different paradigm you would, I know, argue that Tolstoy is better than Archer, so bóllocks to you. :hehe:

Whataboutery of the rankest sort to get your sorry arse off the hook. Harrumph! ;-)

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-29-2017, 03:27 PM

I was piping into your mums headset last night imo

Peter
11-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Their best and my favourite. Beggars Banquet is two great songs and 8 fillers. Prodigal Son and Salt of the Earth being slightly better than filler I suppose.

In contrast, Sticky Fingers is two great songs and several pieces of highly underrated genius. Specifically, You Gotta Move, Moonlight Mile, I Got the Blues and Dead Flowers.

How can anyone not love moonlight mile?

TheCurly
11-29-2017, 03:42 PM

Most excellent.

Funny enough I was listening to a Them album last night and thunk to myself that if Van had have sang for the stones they'd have been twice the band.Silly to imagine I know but there ya go

Burney
11-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Funny enough I was listening to a Them album last night and thunk to myself that if Van had have sang for the stones they'd have been twice the band.Silly to imagine I know but there ya go

Yes, but the band would've split up after about two weeks due to him being a total and utter cùnt, c. :shrug:

TheCurly
11-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Yes, but the band would've split up after about two weeks due to him being a total and utter cùnt, c. :shrug:

A fine point,well made, it has to be said.The point being the whole subject is errmmmm subject to different peoples likes and dislikes.No such thing as a **** song or a great song.They are either a great song in your mind or not and it is impossible to make someone like something they don't.Apart from anal obviously.

redgunamo
11-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Surely, Gimme Shelter, must rank as having one of the all time best intro's... ever ?

Actually the only truly essential thing they ever did, imo. Some of the rest is alright though.

TheCurly
11-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Actually the only truly essential thing they ever did, imo. Some of the rest is alright though.

I've played it at gigs on dozens of occasions.Don't think I have once ever played it right through to the end though