PDA

View Full Version : I miss Alex Song. Xhaka is better but Song had a certain something.

eastgermanautos
11-28-2017, 04:44 AM
For one thing, you felt like the opposing players were afraid of him. A positive quality.

http://cdn.caughtoffside.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Alex-Song-West-Ham.png

If anyone looks at me like this on the subway, I look the other fvcking way. :-/

Tony C
11-28-2017, 09:13 AM
I was a bit disappointed when he was sold and we never really got an explanation.

When he first got into the side he was hopeless but after a couple of seasons of playing him and costing us many points things finally clicked only for Wenger to sell him.

Rumour was Wenger wasn’t happy with the attitude of some of the players so used Song to send a message out :shrug:

Burney
11-28-2017, 09:20 AM
For one thing, you felt like the opposing players were afraid of him. A positive quality.

If anyone looks at me like this on the subway, I look the other fvcking way. :-/

I don't remember anyone being scared of him - he was far too diffident to inspire fear. In fact, I remember watching him bounce off Michael Essien in one of the many games where Chelsea soaked up our 'pressure' for 90 minutes and still emerged as 2-0 winners.

IUFG
11-28-2017, 09:45 AM

rash challenges just outside our area?
Hollywood passes trying to find RvP when a simple one would do?
out-muscled by the likes of Jenas and Lennon?

I'd rather have Denilson, thank you very much...

Monty92
11-28-2017, 11:43 AM

Funnily enough, I was musing on this just the other day. When it comes to playing through the lines, we've never really replaced Alex Song.

Burney
11-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Funnily enough, I was musing on this just the other day. When it comes to playing through the lines, we've never really replaced Alex Song.

For me, he's one of those chaps who I forget played for us almost as soon as he left. Indeed, as I recall, it was sometimes possible to forget he played for us when he was actually playing for us.

World's End Stella
11-28-2017, 11:56 AM
I'd rather have Denilson, thank you very much...

Steady on, IUFG, I mean we need to be reasonable here

Sir C
11-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Steady on, IUFG, I mean we need to be reasonable here

Denilson had the best bum of any Arsenal player, ever. Proper perky, it was.

Possibly even a rival to Joey Barton's.

SWv2
11-28-2017, 12:06 PM

You fúcking cock.

IUFG
11-28-2017, 01:28 PM
You fúcking cock.

gpwm imo .

TheCurly
11-28-2017, 02:09 PM

Here's one that is never included in the greats
Kenny Samson :nod:
Did you know he was voted on the league team of the year 11 years in a row?Eleven times.I just leave that there.11

Peter
11-28-2017, 02:13 PM
You fúcking cock.

Better than Vieira, apparently.

Peter
11-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Here's one that is never included in the greats
Kenny Samson :nod:
Did you know he was voted on the league team of the year 11 years in a row?Eleven times.I just leave that there.11

Good left back in a **** team. Replaced by a more violent one, more to George's taste.

Sir C
11-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Good left back in a **** team. Replaced by a more violent one, more to George's taste.

He never made a tackle, Sansom. Never needed to. When he hunkered down so his Dalglish-esque arse was near the floor he had a centre of gravity situated somewhere around Tasmania, which he used as a platform to shuffle the winger off into the crowd. It was amazing to see.

TheCurly
11-28-2017, 02:18 PM
He never made a tackle, Sansom. Never needed to. When he hunkered down so his Dalglish-esque arse was near the floor he had a centre of gravity situated somewhere around Tasmania, which he used as a platform to shuffle the winger off into the crowd. It was amazing to see.

Indeed.Just because he's now an alky tramp doesn't mean he should be excluded from any "legends" list

Peter
11-28-2017, 02:19 PM

Yeah. George didnt have time for all that ****. Kick the fella up in the air, lump the ball upfield.

Sir C
11-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Indeed.Just because he's now an alky tramp doesn't mean he should be excluded from any "legends" list

He was living above an Indian restaurant near me until quite recently. I wondered about popping round there to try to help him out.

I didn't wonder about it for long, mind.

Burney
11-28-2017, 02:27 PM

Last I saw, he was lying in a park in Beckenham drinking Matteus Rosé, c.

Matteus Rosé, for God's sake! :-(

Burney
11-28-2017, 02:31 PM
He was living above an Indian restaurant near me until quite recently. I wondered about popping round there to try to help him out.

I didn't wonder about it for long, mind.

Yes, you'd have ended up taking him in, wouldn't you?

It's one thing taking in cats, but former Arsenal and England full-backs is quite another thing.

Sir C
11-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Yes, you'd have ended up taking him in, wouldn't you?

It's one thing taking in cats, but former Arsenal and England full-backs is quite another thing.

Yes, I would undoubtedly have instantly seen him as my responsibility. And rehabilitating alcoholics is a well known path to a happy and contented life, isn't it?

Burney
11-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Yes, I would undoubtedly have instantly seen him as my responsibility. And rehabilitating alcoholics is a well known path to a happy and contented life, isn't it?

:hehe: A raging alcoholic and gambling addict? Surrounded by a range of valuable, unlicensed motor vehicles? Within easy reach of Star Lane? What could possibly go wrong?

Luis Anaconda
11-28-2017, 02:43 PM

He once tried to swap chairs with me. Now, he was one of my favouritest ever players but I had a feeling he had broken his so it was a no go

eastgermanautos
11-28-2017, 04:00 PM
I don't remember anyone being scared of him - he was far too diffident to inspire fear. In fact, I remember watching him bounce off Michael Essien in one of the many games where Chelsea soaked up our 'pressure' for 90 minutes and still emerged as 2-0 winners.

No they did dude. You're misremembering. Okay, Essien was a somewhat exceptional case, because he had the mentality of a shark. Others, or should I say white folks: fear.

redgunamo
11-28-2017, 04:07 PM
No they did dude. You're misremembering. Okay, Essien was a somewhat exceptional case, because he had the mentality of a shark. Others, or should I say white folks: fear.

You're thinking of L.T., rather than young Alex Dimitri Song Billong.

Luis Anaconda
11-28-2017, 04:08 PM

No they really didn't

eastgermanautos
11-28-2017, 04:18 PM
No they really didn't

What the hell. Look at you with your beer mug avatar. Your brain is a sponge, to which no remembrances can be summoned.

eastgermanautos
11-28-2017, 04:19 PM
You're thinking of L.T., rather than young Alex Dimitri Song Billong.

Lawrence Taylor? :rubchin:

eastgermanautos
11-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Lawrence Taylor? :rubchin:

Ranked #3 in the list of greatest NFL players of all time? Possibly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHC15HYwJ5Q