PDA

View Full Version : Oh for the record.Last night's University Challenge

TheCurly
11-21-2017, 02:45 PM
I obtained a record breaking score of 11 questions correct.Albert fúcking Einstein,me

SWv2
11-21-2017, 02:54 PM
I obtained a record breaking score of 11 questions correct.Albert fúcking Einstein,me

In one GK sitting or the whole show?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-21-2017, 02:55 PM

Do they have an Irish edition then Curly?

TheCurly
11-21-2017, 02:57 PM
In one GK sitting or the whole show?

Oh the whole show.I'm not a weirdo

Sir C
11-21-2017, 03:01 PM

Last week one of them was a transer. I'm sure of it. :-(

Monty92
11-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Last week one of them was a transer. I'm sure of it. :-(

By which I assume you mean one of them was a man or a woman. How is this news?

Sir C
11-21-2017, 03:05 PM

A man who thought he was a woman. Surely the mentally ill should be placed in medical accomodation and treated with electric shocks and drugs until they are no longer a danger to society, not sent to university?

Burney
11-21-2017, 03:07 PM
A man who thought he was a woman. Surely the mentally ill should be placed in medical accomodation and treated with electric shocks and drugs until they are no longer a danger to society, not sent to university?

There was one a while back on Only Connect. Massive big fecker he was. Towered over his mum and dad, but was dressed in a floral print frock and called himself Daisy or some such.

Needless to say, it was very, very funny.

Burney
11-21-2017, 03:08 PM

Do you sense that the worm is just - finally - starting to turn on this business? People seem to me to be starting to say 'Hang on a mo. This is all a load of bòllocks, isn't it?' in public.

Luis Anaconda
11-21-2017, 03:21 PM
There was one a while back on Only Connect. Massive big fecker he was. Towered over his mum and dad, but was dressed in a floral print frock and called himself Daisy or some such.

Needless to say, it was very, very funny.
I got a five-pointer on Only Connect last week - I was proud of that. Finally a use for German
First clue was:

Excess weight gained due to emotional overeating

could only be ridiculous things German has a word for but English doesn't

Burney
11-21-2017, 03:23 PM
I got a five-pointer on Only Connect last week - I was proud of that. Finally a use for German
First clue was:

Excess weight gained due to emotional overeating

could only be ridiculous things German has a word for but English doesn't

Is that one you've heard a lot, la? :-(

Luis Anaconda
11-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Is that one you've heard a lot, la? :-(

:hehe: Quite the opposite at the moment - although any excuse to eat bacon

Peter
11-21-2017, 04:17 PM

I got the one about the Curragh.

SWv2
11-22-2017, 02:22 PM
I got the one about the Curragh.

What was the question?

Burney
11-22-2017, 02:24 PM
What was the question?

Well it can only have been about the mutiny, the racecourse or the military prison, surely?

SWv2
11-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Well it can only have been about the mutiny, the racecourse or the military prison, surely?

It could have been a music question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-ah5vTtPOc

Either way I suspect Pedro guessed and got lucky.

Peter
11-22-2017, 02:36 PM

THe mutiny.

They answered Wexford having been told in the question that it was in Kildare :)

Peter
11-22-2017, 02:37 PM
It could have been a music question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-ah5vTtPOc

Either way I suspect Pedro guessed and got lucky.

I do know a fair bit about Irish history and have spent a lot of time in Kildare.

So no, I didnt get lucky.

SWv2
11-22-2017, 02:38 PM
I do know a fair bit about Irish history and have spent a lot of time in Kildare.

So no, I didnt get lucky.

Probably know more than I do to be fair. :shrug:

Sir C
11-22-2017, 02:38 PM
THe mutiny.

They answered Wexford having been told in the question that it was in Kildare :)

Even I knew that, and I've spent a lifetime purposely avoiding reading or hearing anything that refers to Irish history.

Peter
11-22-2017, 02:40 PM
Probably know more than I do to be fair. :shrug:

I didnt spend time in Kildare entirely through choice, before anyone points out that it is pretty ****ing dull.

Peter
11-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Even I knew that, and I've spent a lifetime purposely avoiding reading or hearing anything that refers to Irish history.

And my interest in Irish history is largely based on 18th and 19th century. I know nothing of the Curragh mutiny other than that it happened at the Curragh and the Curragh is in Kildare.

Burney
11-22-2017, 02:43 PM
And my interest in Irish history is largely based on 18th and 19th century. I know nothing of the Curragh mutiny other than that it happened at the Curragh and the Curragh is in Kildare.

It was British and Anglo-Irish officers who were signalling their refusal to put down the UVF's effective insurrection in the north, p. Which was a bit treasonous of them, but sort of understandable.

Peter
11-22-2017, 02:55 PM
It was British and Anglo-Irish officers who were signalling their refusal to put down the UVF's effective insurrection in the north, p. Which was a bit treasonous of them, but sort of understandable.

Well, I know that much.

It was three questions on mutinies. I was disappointed the Indian one didnt come up.

Burney
11-22-2017, 03:00 PM
Well, I know that much.

It was three questions on mutinies. I was disappointed the Indian one didnt come up.

It's probably considered problematic to call it a mutiny these days. We probably have to call it The First War of Indian Independence or something equally silly. Mind you, as far as I'm aware, it's the only war of Indian Independence - if you don't count when they all started slaughtering each other the minute they got actual independence.

Sir C
11-22-2017, 03:02 PM
It's probably considered problematic to call it a mutiny these days. We probably have to call it The First War of Indian Independence or something equally silly. Mind you, as far as I'm aware, it's the only war of Indian Independence - if you don't count when they all started slaughtering each other the minute they got actual independence.

It was our fault they decided to slaughter each other don’t forget.

Peter

THat was a civil war...

It was a mutiny. The ungrateful *******s!

Peter
It was our fault they decided to slaughter each other don’t forget.

In the broader sense, yes it was.

Burney
11-22-2017, 03:07 PM
In the broader sense, yes it was.

Hmmm. Looked at from another perspective, we were the only thing that stopped them slaughtering one another for 200 years.

Burney
11-22-2017, 03:09 PM
THat was a civil war...

It was a mutiny. The ungrateful *******s!

Of course it was all fomented by the Russians*.

*Source: Flashman In The Great Game

Peter
11-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Hmmm. Looked at from another perspective, we were the only thing that stopped them slaughtering one another for 200 years.

Exactly. So why did we leave?

Big mistake for all concerned.

Burney
11-22-2017, 03:11 PM
Exactly. So why did we leave?

Big mistake for all concerned.

Because the Americans had us by the balls and were squeezing to ensure we dismantled the empire as quickly as humanly possible.

Peter
11-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Because the Americans had us by the balls and were squeezing to ensure we dismantled the empire as quickly as humanly possible.

Hmmmmmm....I think it was also no longer paying its way. The 20th century was hugely eating into the profits of empire and escalating the costs of defending it.

Burney
11-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Hmmmmmm....I think it was also no longer paying its way. The 20th century was hugely eating into the profits of empire and escalating the costs of defending it.

Oh, sure. We were going to leave anyway. The disastrous haste with which we did so was dictated by the yanks, though.