PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Sir C's mention of chopped liver reminded me that I cannot physically eat

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-21-2017, 12:10 PM
liver. When I bite into it a nasty furry film forms on the roof of my mouth and an emetic reflex kicks in.

I believe if I were actually on the verge of real starvation I would not be able to chew and swallow liver without vomiting.

Am I alone in this affliction?

Burney
11-21-2017, 12:12 PM
liver. When I bite into it a nasty furry film forms on the roof of my mouth and an emetic reflex kicks in.

I believe if I were actually on the verge of real starvation I would not be able to chew and swallow liver without vomiting.

I am currently in the process of trying to make my wife like liver. I made her the most delicious, tender, pink calves liver with pancetta, onions and Marsala the other week. She ate it politely, but later admitted she absolutely hated it. :-(

Pokster
11-21-2017, 01:29 PM

No, I'm with you on this h... can't stand it

Sir C
11-21-2017, 01:31 PM

Without wishing to be indelicate or unpatriotic, h, would I be correct in assuming that what you call 'liver' is the English dish of slabs of lamb or, God help us, ox liver, fried to a uniform grey dryness, served with limp, water-filled 'bacon', Cadbury's Smash and Bisto?

Sometimes I don't really understand my homeland :-(

Ash
11-21-2017, 01:59 PM

Nope. Makes me puke too.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Without wishing to be indelicate or unpatriotic, h, would I be correct in assuming that what you call 'liver' is the English dish of slabs of lamb or, God help us, ox liver, fried to a uniform grey dryness, served with limp, water-filled 'bacon', Cadbury's Smash and Bisto?

Sometimes I don't really understand my homeland :-(

running through it :-(

Is there some other way of serving it and from what creature should one's liver come?

Sir C
11-21-2017, 02:14 PM

Is there some other way of serving it and from what creature should one's liver come?

The liver may come from the chicken, or from the veal calf. In the case of the chicken it should be fried until brown on the outside but pink in the middle and may be mixed with some fried shallots and garlic, possibly even some crispy croutons, and served on toast. Quite delicious.

The true liver disjh is, of course, the calve's liver, which should come from Dutch calves, the tastiest of all. Thinly sliced, it should be lightly floured and flashed off in some extremely hot oil for seconds on each side. One may prepare a sauce, frequently of Marsala, but this to me is unnecessary, for your Dutch calf will provide all the flavours you need.

Burney
11-21-2017, 02:15 PM

A calf, h. In extremis a pig or in some cases, a chicken.

Burney
11-21-2017, 02:17 PM
The liver may come from the chicken, or from the veal calf. In the case of the chicken it should be fried until brown on the outside but pink in the middle and may be mixed with some fried shallots and garlic, possibly even some crispy croutons, and served on toast. Quite delicious.

The true liver disjh is, of course, the calve's liver, which should come from Dutch calves, the tastiest of all. Thinly sliced, it should be lightly floured and flashed off in some extremely hot oil for seconds on each side. One may prepare a sauce, frequently of Marsala, but this to me is unnecessary, for your Dutch calf will provide all the flavours you need.

I like the fegato alla veneziana, but with a couple of twists. Like the crispy pancetta.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-21-2017, 02:46 PM
I like the fegato alla veneziana, but with a couple of twists. Like the crispy pancetta.

calf is dutch fer fuxake?

Burney
11-21-2017, 02:48 PM

I don't think you can get dutch veal in this country. The dutch do horrible things to them. Keep them in darkened boxes and feed them only on milk before slaughtering them.

Pokster
11-21-2017, 02:48 PM

Wearing Clogs and smells of tulips

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Wearing Clogs and smells of tulips

Will not stop boasting about its pilot's licence

Pokster
11-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Will not stop boasting about its pilot's licence

That did make me chortle, wd h

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-21-2017, 02:53 PM
That did make me chortle, wd h

Shhh! - you'll make the old toad cross and he'll start making cruel jests about my time as a tradesman.