PDA

View Full Version : :shrug: Bread Sauce..

Chief Arrowhead
11-16-2017, 02:56 PM
I just found out about this rather strange, but potentially delicious concoction. My first thought was, "Why have the AWIMB gimps not opined on this subject? Why am I just finding out about this?"

Then again, I suspect some sort of trick as in, "I can't believe you ****ing made it and tried it? Hahaha". Y'all are fond of doing that to us loveable, yet gullible, Septics.

Evidently this is posited as some sort of perfect accompaniment to the Thanksgiving turkey, etc. Some sort of cure all for every poorly cooked dish presented. Soothes tart cranberries, adds richness to gruel-like gravy, etc. So what gives?

Burney
11-16-2017, 03:00 PM
I just found out about this rather strange, but potentially delicious concoction. My first thought was, "Why have the AWIMB gimps not opined on this subject? Why am I just finding out about this?"

Then again, I suspect some sort of trick as in, "I can't believe you ****ing made it and tried it? Hahaha". Y'all are fond of doing that to us loveable, yet gullible, Septics.

Evidently this is posited as some sort of perfect accompaniment to the Thanksgiving turkey, etc. Some sort of cure all for every poorly cooked dish presented. Soothes tart cranberries, adds richness to gruel-like gravy, etc. So what gives?

This is a Christmas staple. Stud half an onion with cloves, put in a pan with torn-up white bread and milk. Heat gently until it has coalesced to a creamy consistency. Leave the onion in as long as possible for extra flavour and serve after re-heating with a knob of butter to finish and having removed the cloves and onion. Add a bit of salt.

Under no circumstances listen to a word Sir C says on the subject. The man understands nothing of bread sauce.

Sir C
11-16-2017, 03:01 PM

I am an expert in this stuff, chief, as my wife insists I prepare it for her regularly. (She is properly English.)

Take it from a chap who knows. It is like peculiarly tasteless wallpaper paste, except that the texture is really revolting.

It's bread boiled in fúcking milk for the sake of all that's holy!

Bleeeurgh.

Burney
11-16-2017, 03:04 PM
I am an expert in this stuff, chief, as my wife insists I prepare it for her regularly. (She is properly English.)

Take it from a chap who knows. It is like peculiarly tasteless wallpaper paste, except that the texture is really revolting.

It's bread boiled in fúcking milk for the sake of all that's holy!

Bleeeurgh.

It should never boil. See, chief? He knows nothing.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-16-2017, 03:10 PM

Don't listen to these snobby spastics Chief ... this is what you want

https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/282/5000147025282/IDShot_540x540.jpg

PSRB
11-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Bread sauce, as with Bread and Butter pudding, is horrid. I just have Horseradish with all Roast dinners

Sir C
11-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Don't listen to these snobby spastics Chief ... this is what you want

https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/282/5000147025282/IDShot_540x540.jpg

Lumpy spunk.

Still, if you like that sort of thing, h.

Chief Arrowhead
11-16-2017, 03:55 PM
This is a Christmas staple. Stud half an onion with cloves, put in a pan with torn-up white bread and milk. Heat gently until it has coalesced to a creamy consistency. Leave the onion in as long as possible for extra flavour and serve after re-heating with a knob of butter to finish and having removed the cloves and onion. Add a bit of salt.

Under no circumstances listen to a word Sir C says on the subject. The man understands nothing of bread sauce.

It doesn't seem to be all that exotic except for the cloves, which would seem to be an odd taste to go with turkey. Are any other spices or herbs allowed like rosemary, thyme, etc.? I'm assuming a good quality white bread?

Burney
11-16-2017, 03:58 PM
It doesn't seem to be all that exotic except for the cloves, which would seem to be an odd taste to go with turkey. Are any other spices or herbs allowed like rosemary, thyme, etc.? I'm assuming a good quality white bread?

The quality of the bread doesn’t matter at all, since you’re only going to boil it in milk, tbh.

And cloves are essential. The milk takes the harshness away and leaves them as a background flavour.

I wouldn’t try messing with other flavours at this stage, chief.

Chief Arrowhead
11-16-2017, 04:04 PM
The quality of the bread doesn’t matter at all, since you’re only going to boil it in milk, tbh.

And cloves are essential. The milk takes the harshness away and leaves them as a background flavour.

I wouldn’t try messing with other flavours at this stage, chief.

Allrighty, then. I'm going to give it a go. Will report back on the results, feedback, usage. Hey, pretty cheap. what could it hurt? Besides, the authorized 'gravy maker' in our family is terrible! She says, "that's the only thing I can do" and we haven't the heart to tell her that she can't do that either!

Sir C
11-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Allrighty, then. I'm going to give it a go. Will report back on the results, feedback, usage. Hey, pretty cheap. what could it hurt? Besides, the authorized 'gravy maker' in our family is terrible! She says, "that's the only thing I can do" and we haven't the heart to tell her that she can't do that either!

It's no substitute for gravy. It's a sort of additional side dish of lumps. Lumps of bread boiled in milk. Pap, like babies eat.

Burney
11-16-2017, 04:13 PM
It's no substitute for gravy. It's a sort of additional side dish of lumps. Lumps of bread boiled in milk. Pap, like babies eat.

Agreed on the gravy thing. Mind you, the yanqui have some extremely odd ideas about gravy.

PSRB
11-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Agreed on the gravy thing. Mind you, the yanqui have some extremely odd ideas about gravy.

Although Colonel Sanders knows his gravy

Burney
11-16-2017, 04:17 PM
Although Colonel Sanders knows his gravy

I’ve heard how they make KFC gravy, psrb. It’s not good. :-(

PSRB
11-16-2017, 04:19 PM
I’ve heard how they make KFC gravy, psrb. It’s not good. :-(

Is it from the same sauces that say they use chicken with no beaks?

Burney
11-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Is it from the same sauces that say they use chicken with no beaks?

No, it was on here I think. From someone who worked there. They use the old bits of cribbly **** from the fry tray mixed with flour and water, I think.

Sir C
11-16-2017, 04:27 PM
No, it was on here I think. From someone who worked there. They use the old bits of cribbly **** from the fry tray mixed with flour and water, I think.

So, the same way everyone makes gravy?

Burney
11-16-2017, 04:30 PM
So, the same way everyone makes gravy?

Not from old bits of fried greasy shíte from the grease trap. Meat scraps are one thing, but that’s just a bit distasteful.

PSRB
11-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Not from old bits of fried greasy shíte from the grease trap. Meat scraps are one thing, but that’s just a bit distasteful.

Meh, still tastes bloody great.....even if no 2 gravy's are ever the same

SWv2
11-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Bread sauce is fúcking rank.

TheCurly
11-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Bread sauce is fúcking rank.

Concise,accurate and needed said

SWv2
11-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Concise,accurate and needed said

It looks like baby boke as well.

I was thinking of maybe becoming a food and restaurant critic in 2018.

TheCurly
11-17-2017, 11:31 AM
It looks like baby boke as well.

I was thinking of maybe becoming a food and restaurant critic in 2018.

"Awarded a Williams star" does have a certain ring to it

SWv2
11-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Might chance my arm on The Lions Den with this concept.

Simple enough pitch.

Luis Anaconda
11-17-2017, 12:12 PM

The men has eaten a bacon sandwich with star anise in it, c - he should be locked up not encouraged

SWv2
11-17-2017, 12:20 PM
The men has eaten a bacon sandwich with star anise in it, c - he should be locked up not encouraged

I will punch you in the adams apple. I was served it correct, i nearly broke a fúcking tooth on it correct, i took it correct.

Football content: We are going to smash them tomorrow. Would take the draw mind you.

Luis Anaconda
11-17-2017, 12:31 PM
I will punch you in the adams apple. I was served it correct, i nearly broke a fúcking tooth on it correct, i took it correct.

Football content: We are going to smash them tomorrow. Would take the draw mind you.
We all remember* the post, sw

I almost feel sorry for them tomorrow - they won't know what will it them (1-1 would do)

*make up what we want about it