PDA

View Full Version : Raffles closing for 8 months for a refurb :-(

Sir C
11-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Where is a chap supposed to stay? Amongst the Arabs and WES's sort at Marina Bay? :shudder:

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Where is a chap supposed to stay? Amongst the Arabs and WES's sort at Marina Bay? :shudder:

ffs - has it not just opened again after a refurb?

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 02:58 PM

We've been featuring this a lot if it is of any help

http://www.thewarehousehotel.com

Sir C
11-15-2017, 03:00 PM
We've been featuring this a lot if it is of any help

http://www.thewarehousehotel.com

That looks nice la. The thing is, when I'm out east I really want to stay in the same places I used to frequent when I was a rubber planter in Malaya in the 20s. It's a nostalgia thing.

Peter
11-15-2017, 03:02 PM
That looks nice la. The thing is, when I'm out east I really want to stay in the same places I used to frequent when I was a rubber planter in Malaya in the 20s. It's a nostalgia thing.

The rest of Singapore is ghastly and modern.

Go to Penang instead. Its the only solution.

Sir C
11-15-2017, 03:03 PM
The rest of Singapore is ghastly and modern.

Go to Penang instead. Its the only solution.

Yes, but if I've got a meeting in Singapore and I forget my notes, it woill take ages to pop back to the E&O, won't it?

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 03:04 PM

Are you sure you weren't a smuggler? I think this place would work for that

World's End Stella
11-15-2017, 03:07 PM

Singapore?

Never been but know people who live and have lived there and based on their feedback I would think there are plenty of really dull but very expensive places where everyone sits around thinking 'god I must be wonderful to be able to afford to be here'.

Sure you'll find a replacement :thumbup:

Sir C
11-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Singapore?

Never been but know people who live and have lived there and based on their feedback I would think there are plenty of really dull but very expensive places where everyone sits around thinking 'god I must be wonderful to be able to afford to be here'.

Sure you'll find a replacement :thumbup:

Nice to see you displaying your usual level of expertise in these matters. :hehe:

Peter
11-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Yes, but if I've got a meeting in Singapore and I forget my notes, it woill take ages to pop back to the E&O, won't it?

Fly in for the day. I have done that several times.

The Intercontinental is ok. Its a nice hotel and a short walk from raffles and the 'good bit' of Singapore- the Padang, Cricket Club, City Hall etc.....

I have stayed in a few others before but they are all ****e.

TheCurly
11-15-2017, 03:16 PM

Funny enough I watched the movie on Saturday.David Niven,who doesn't like David Niven? Probably Peter :-(

Sir C
11-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Funny enough I watched the movie on Saturday.David Niven,who doesn't like David Niven? Probably Peter :-(

Which movie c?

TheCurly
11-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Which movie c?

Raffles- 1930's jobbie.All very Rita Hayworth in the over-acting stakes as they did back in the day.But still,David Niven eh?

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Raffles- 1930's jobbie.All very Rita Hayworth in the over-acting stakes as they did back in the day.But still,David Niven eh?
He was pretty much born to play Raffles though - cheating rather than acting

TheCurly
11-15-2017, 03:35 PM
He was pretty much born to play Raffles though - cheating rather than acting

The Moon's A Balloon is a terrific read.Pwoper old skool Hollywood

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 03:38 PM
Yep - he is pretty much in the "they don't make them like that anymore" sector

Peter
11-15-2017, 03:44 PM

I wouldn't call myself a fan :)

Burney
11-15-2017, 03:54 PM

Annoying, though. He kept referring to famous actresses he was knobbing and then not saying who they were or giving any details of their sexual proclivities. Disappointing imo.

TheCurly
11-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Annoying, though. He kept referring to famous actresses he was knobbing and then not saying who they were or giving any details of their sexual proclivities. Disappointing imo.

I think himself and Mr Flynn did them all B