PDA

View Full Version : Apu off the Simpsons is racist, apparently.

Sir C
11-15-2017, 11:12 AM
I always thought the Simpsons was a, you know, comedy show, which rather gently and charmingly mocked many apsects of mainstream US culture.

I was wrong, apparently. :rolleyes:

Peter
11-15-2017, 11:19 AM
I always thought the Simpsons was a, you know, comedy show, which rather gently and charmingly mocked many apsects of mainstream US culture.

Everything is racist.

Look at Coco Pops. They are just 'blacked up' rice crispies. Why do they think they are going to get away with stuff like this? Its disgusting.....

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:22 AM

To be honest, I'm simply amazed it's taken America this long to work out that the Apu stereotype is a touch problematic.

No British programme with a character like that would have been commissioned in the last 35 years. Look at poor old 'It ain't half hot, mum'. Apu got a pass on British telly purely because the people writing and voicing the character were American rather than British.

Pat Vegas
11-15-2017, 11:23 AM

They are a bit behind on racism over there when it comes to Indians.

It's all mixed up their version of irishman jokes are about polish fellas. and Indians are bad drivers.

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Everything is racist.

Look at Coco Pops. They are just 'blacked up' rice crispies. Why do they think they are going to get away with stuff like this? Its disgusting.....

Coco Pops are fvcking rank and I don't care if saying that makes me racist. Tell you what I liked - Ricicles. Basically rice crispies, but coated with lovely, lovely sugar.

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:25 AM
They are a bit behind on racism over there when it comes to Indians.

It's all mixed up their version of irishman jokes are about polish fellas. and Indians are bad drivers.

What seems to be happening is that there is now a second generation of middle-class Indian Americans who are pointing out the problem. The first generation were too busy making a living and getting on with sh1t to worry about racial stereotypes.

Sir C
11-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Coco Pops are fvcking rank and I don't care if saying that makes me racist. Tell you what I liked - Ricicles. Basically rice crispies, but coated with lovely, lovely sugar.

You seem to be forgetting Golden Nuggets.

If I didn't have my milkphobia, I'd definitely eat Golden Nuggets every day.

Peter
11-15-2017, 11:27 AM

I agree, I liked Ricicles.

I understand they got in trouble for a recent advert because their characters (basically rice crispies) lacked diversity, being all white. So they put in a brown looking one and made him the janitor :p

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:29 AM
You seem to be forgetting Golden Nuggets.

If I didn't have my milkphobia, I'd definitely eat Golden Nuggets every day.

God, but we ate so much sugar back in the day, didn't we? Orange squash, biscuits, cereal, sweets. And I was as thin as a rake as a kid, believe it or not.

Of course, this may explain why I barely have a fully-functioning tooth in my head, but there we are.

Peter
11-15-2017, 11:29 AM
What seems to be happening is that there is now a second generation of middle-class Indian Americans who are pointing out the problem. The first generation were too busy making a living and getting on with sh1t to worry about racial stereotypes.

Only Fools and Horses included several used othe word [insert racist term for asians] in referring the owner of the loca corner shop.

These are now erased from versions they show on telly, so the scene just jumps to a random sentence or laughter. This would make an episode of It Ain't Half Hot Mum around 30 seconds long, with no intro music

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:31 AM
I agree, I liked Ricicles.

I understand they got in trouble for a recent advert because their characters (basically rice crispies) lacked diversity, being all white. So they put in a brown looking one and made him the janitor :p

:nod: This is correct.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't eat a brown ricicle. I'd assume it was defective or that a rogue Coco Pop had snuck into the packet in search of all the white ricicle women.

Sir C
11-15-2017, 11:32 AM
God, but we ate so much sugar back in the day, didn't we? Orange squash, biscuits, cereal, sweets. And I was as thin as a rake as a kid, believe it or not.

Of course, this may explain why I barely have a fully-functioning tooth in my head, of course, but there we are.

:hehe: It seemed entirely normal to have three sugars in your tea. No one batted an eyelid. I suppose for the generation who lived through rationing, the sudden availability of sugar must have sent them into a frenzy...

Pat Vegas
11-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Only Fools and Horses included several used othe word [insert racist term for asians] in referring the owner of the loca corner shop.

These are now erased from versions they show on telly, so the scene just jumps to a random sentence or laughter. This would make an episode of It Ain't Half Hot Mum around 30 seconds long, with no intro music

There is one weird episode where Uncle Albert seems to keep overusing this phrase in the first few mins

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:34 AM

It makes me sad that they removed one of the best jokes in Fawlty Towers simply because it uses verboten language. :-(

TheCurly
11-15-2017, 11:35 AM
:hehe: It seemed entirely normal to have three sugars in your tea. No one batted an eyelid. I suppose for the generation who lived through rationing, the sudden availability of sugar must have sent them into a frenzy...

I basically survived on sugar sandwiches

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 11:38 AM

:nod: I ****ing loved Ricicles

Burney

I think we've always been mad for it, tbh. The war was just a brief hiatus in our love for the stuff. I suppose it being the foundation stone of our bluewater empire probably helped in this regard.

Peter
It makes me sad that they removed one of the best jokes in Fawlty Towers simply because it uses verboten language. :-(

Do you mean 'n******* are the West Indians; these people are w***'

I liked the Major.

barrybueno
11-15-2017, 11:39 AM

Jebus Wept. In that case I think there's a problem with almost every character. Cletus, Wiggum, Groundskeeper Willie, Barney, Fat Tony, the list is endless really.
Better take it off air right away and airbrush it from history imo.

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:39 AM
:nod: I ****ing loved Ricicles

All right thinking people did, la. Also, if we're being honest, Frosties were nicer than Crunchy Nut Cornflakes because they didn't fvck about with honey and nuts, they just chucked half a kilo of sugar into every packet.

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 11:40 AM
To be honest, I'm simply amazed it's taken America this long to work out that the Apu stereotype is a touch problematic.

No British programme with a character like that would have been commissioned in the last 35 years. Look at poor old 'It ain't half hot, mum'. Apu got a pass on British telly purely because the people writing and voicing the character were American rather than British.
See also the brown fella in Big Bang Theory. On the plus side, it mean Mind Your Language is gently pushed under the carpet as it it never happened

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Do you mean 'n******* are the West Indians; these people are w***'

I liked the Major.

That's the one. Where he's having to explain the difference to a young lady he took to Lord's :hehe:

Mind you, serves him right for taking a woman to cricket.

Peter
11-15-2017, 11:43 AM
That's the one. Where he's having to explain the difference to a young lady he took to Lord's :hehe:

Mind you, serves him right for taking a woman to cricket.

ahem....it was The Oval.

I recently shouldn't know that but I had Fawlty Towers played to me as a kid until I knew every single word....

Ash
11-15-2017, 11:46 AM

:nod: My day used to have about five. Or six if he thought no-one was looking. That fact that the tea was at sucrose saturation level and no more would desolve was no deterrent.

I used to sneak sugar sandwiches.

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:46 AM
ahem....it was The Oval.

I recently shouldn't know that but I had Fawlty Towers played to me as a kid until I knew every single word....

There you go, you see? I'm already misremembering it because I haven't seen it in so long. :-(

Once our generation passes, no-one will ever know such a lovely comic moment even existed. That's what this retrospective censorship really means. :-(

Pat Vegas
11-15-2017, 11:49 AM
See also the brown fella in Big Bang Theory. On the plus side, it mean Mind Your Language is gently pushed under the carpet as it it never happened

I only found out a few years ago this was the Indian fella from Short Circuit :curry: (turns out Awimb is at it too with the smilies.

http://movie.info/actor/Fisher_Stevens_3.jpg

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 11:49 AM
All right thinking people did, la. Also, if we're being honest, Frosties were nicer than Crunchy Nut Cornflakes because they didn't fvck about with honey and nuts, they just chucked half a kilo of sugar into every packet.

:nod: And I used to add sugar to them - helped me grow up to be as strong as a tiger

Ash
11-15-2017, 11:51 AM
:nod: And I used to add sugar to them - helped me grow up to be as strong as a tiger

They're Grrrrrrrrrreat!

Burney
11-15-2017, 11:51 AM
I only found out a few years ago this was the Indian fella from Short Circuit :curry: (turns out Awimb is at it too with the smilies.

I'm pretty sure we used to have a problematic Chinaman smiley, didn't we? Slitty eyes and a coolie hat, sort of thing? Whatever happened to that?

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 11:52 AM

Roger the therapist from Friends :clap:

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 11:52 AM
They're Grrrrrrrrrreat!

Probably the last time I had any energy in the morning

Ash
11-15-2017, 11:56 AM

Congratulation! You are the first poster on AWIMB I have seen using the word 'problematic' in this context. :-)

Normally I expect to see it on a site I occasionally frequent with a predominantly left-liberal North American population.

Viva Prat Vegas
11-15-2017, 11:57 AM
:chink:
:Chinky:
:china:
:chinese:

The smilie had a pointed hat and two front teeth

Burney
11-15-2017, 12:06 PM
Probably the last time I had any energy in the morning

It's the ubiquity of orange squash as sugar delivery system that I most associate with the late 70s and early 80s. I just seem to remember it being what we drank all the fvcking time. Do kids even drink it anymore? They just seem to have cans of pop these days.

Burney
11-15-2017, 12:07 PM
:chink:
:Chinky:
:china:
:chinese:

The smilie had a pointed hat and two front teeth

I knew I hadn't imagined it in some fevered, racist dream!

I bet Headgear took it down, the big lefty. :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
11-15-2017, 12:08 PM
:hehe:
The only time I heard the word pop was in The Dandy
Normal people called them Fizzy Drinks

SWv2
11-15-2017, 12:19 PM

The "best" one was the classroom based comedy where the entire programme was based around laughing at Johnny Foreigner and his/her attempts to learn the language.

Viva Prat Vegas
11-15-2017, 12:19 PM
What was that one called ?

SWv2
11-15-2017, 12:23 PM
What was that one called ?

I was unsure but research shows it to be Mind Your Language.

Fast forward to 9 minutes.

https://vimeo.com/142272792

Viva Prat Vegas
11-15-2017, 12:27 PM
You are early
No I am Ali

Fast forward to 28:40
I used to love the French bit
She made my tummy go all funny

Burney
11-15-2017, 12:29 PM
The "best" one was the classroom based comedy where the entire programme was based around laughing at Johnny Foreigner and his/her attempts to learn the language.

Yes, but you have to admit you lot do talk funny.

Also, it was one of the few comedy programmes of that era that didn't take the p1ss out of the Irish.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-15-2017, 12:46 PM

1 billion Indian people and Hollywood couldn't find one to play a character in a movie.

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 12:48 PM
It's the ubiquity of orange squash as sugar delivery system that I most associate with the late 70s and early 80s. I just seem to remember it being what we drank all the fvcking time. Do kids even drink it anymore? They just seem to have cans of pop these days.

No idea - but I occasionally buy a bottle of Robinsons from the "British" shop here. Energy drinks are the thing these days aren't they? Strike me as far more damaging

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 12:51 PM
I was unsure but research shows it to be Mind Your Language.

Fast forward to 9 minutes.

https://vimeo.com/142272792

It's like you never read my posts :shrug:

Ash
11-15-2017, 12:53 PM
The only time I heard the word pop was in The Dandy
Normal people called them Fizzy Drinks

:nod: You speak the truth there, Viva.

Is pop an Americanism or do they call it soda?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Ricicles and Frosties as a kid :cloud9:

Burney
11-15-2017, 01:03 PM

I’ve always seen it as a quintessentially British term.

World's End Stella
11-15-2017, 02:28 PM
:nod: My day used to have about five. Or six if he thought no-one was looking. That fact that the tea was at sucrose saturation level and no more would desolve was no deterrent.

I used to sneak sugar sandwiches.

From my youth in England I seem to recall something called 'Brighton Rock' or somesuch?

It was an enormous cylinder of rock hard sugar that required you to break it into pieces and then suck on it. As I recall, it tasted of nothing but sugar.

Even as a child I struggled to understand the attraction. :shrug:

World's End Stella
11-15-2017, 02:30 PM

Americans say soda, Canadians say pop. Pop because the original carbonated drink had a spherical glass thingy you pushed down to open the bottle. It then logged in the bottle itself so you could drink it and pushing it down produced a popping sound.

Bit of carbonated drink trivia for you there chaps.

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2017, 02:40 PM
From my youth in England I seem to recall something called 'Brighton Rock' or somesuch?

It was an enormous cylinder of rock hard sugar that required you to break it into pieces and then suck on it. As I recall, it tasted of nothing but sugar.

Even as a child I struggled to understand the attraction. :shrug:

Just rock - although I guess if you bought it in Brighton it would be Brighton rock. Most seaside places would have it. My Great Uncle Jimmy had a sweet factory in Cork, where we used to go every summer and watch all the goodies being made. The raw goo that became rock was basically like crack

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
10-29-2018, 10:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3_OxsZ-4Q

Tony C
10-29-2018, 11:45 PM

Thought they were 100% spot on when they did the episode addressing the issue ie how can you criticise them for something that was entertaining and funny just a few years ago.

But the world has changed...rapidly...and the libtards have taken over.

Saw one video with an Indian SWJ interviewing his Indian friends about how the show is racist and how they would get bullied and called Apu at school :shrug:

Mental...just like the MTV video calling white people racist for wearing :sombrero: on cinco de Mayo.

barrybueno
10-30-2018, 10:39 AM
ahem....it was The Oval.

I took her to see India... at The Oval! :hehe: