PDA

View Full Version : I want to download a classic album onto my phone through Spotify

World's End Stella
11-14-2017, 02:31 PM
Something with hardly a single song that falls into the 'filler' category so that I can listen to all of it comfortably.

Suggestions please.

Sir C
11-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Something with hardly a single song that falls into the 'filler' category so that I can listen to all of it comfortably.

Suggestions please.

Rumours.

Tapestry.

Sergeant Pepper.

Born To Run.

Bat Out Of Hell.

Actually, I haven't listened to Bat OutOf Hell for years. What a great album that is!

World's End Stella
11-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Rumours.
Bat Out Of Hell.

Actually, I haven't listened to Bat OutOf Hell for years. What a great album that is!

:nod: Two out of three ain't bad, had forgotten how much I liked that one.

I shall be downloading that one asap.

Burney
11-14-2017, 02:39 PM

Suggestions please.

Purple Rain

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 02:39 PM

Suggestions please.

Parallel Lines
The first Energy orchard album
Rubber Soul
What's Going On?
Setting Sons
Oh My God,Charlie Darwin

SWv2
11-14-2017, 02:44 PM

Suggestions please.

All Mod Cons – The Jam
Wild Wood – Weller
Don’t Stand Me Down – Dexys
London Calling – The Clash
Stone Roses – Stone Roses
The Orb’s Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld – The Orb
Blue Lines – Massive Attack
After The Gold Rush – Neil Young
Sound Affects – The Jam
This is the Sea – The Waterboys
Leftism – Leftfield
Astral Weeks – Van Morrison
Bandwagonesque – Teenage Fanclub
Setting Sons – The Jam

Pokster
11-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Parallel Lines
The first Energy orchard album
Rubber Soul
What's Going On?
Setting Sons
Oh My God,Charlie Darwin

I am getting my fix of 80's music this week c, off to see OMD on Saturday, one of the finest live acts you could wish to see imho

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 02:49 PM
I am getting my fix of 80's music this week c, off to see OMD on Saturday, one of the finest live acts you could wish to see imho

Saw them 2 weeks ago P :thumbup: You'll enjoy

Pokster
11-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Saw them 2 weeks ago P :thumbup: You'll enjoy

Noticed they were in Belfast... will only be about the 30th time I have seen them :yikes:

World's End Stella
11-14-2017, 02:55 PM
So far I have downloaded Rubber Soul and Purple Rain. Thought about London Calling but not sure I could listen to that many Clash songs in a row.

Just have to let Josephine Baker Collection finish first, then on to Rubber Soul, I think.

Burney
11-14-2017, 02:57 PM
So far I have downloaded Rubber Soul and Purple Rain. Thought about London Calling but not sure I could listen to that many Clash songs in a row.

Just have to let Josephine Baker Collection finish first, then on to Rubber Soul, I think.

The Clash. Wildly overrated bunch of fùcking chancers imo.

IUFG
11-14-2017, 02:58 PM
The Orb’s Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld – The Orb
Leftism – Leftfield

Nail and head.

I could add

Orbital - Orbital II
Ice Cube - The Predator
Big Audio Dynamite - This is Big Audio Dynamite
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Prodigy - Fat of the Land
Röyksopp - Melody AM
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Wu Tang Clan - Enter 36 Chambers :jorge:

I could go on...

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 02:58 PM

Joe Strummer and Shakin' Stevens were mates back in the day :walkswaywhistling:

Burney
11-14-2017, 03:01 PM

I preferred Shakey. :shrug:

World's End Stella
11-14-2017, 03:03 PM

I like the odd song i.e. Train in Vain, Should I Stay etc however I can't imagine listening to them for more than 3 or 4 songs before I wanted something else

IUFG
11-14-2017, 03:05 PM
I like the odd song i.e. Train in Vain, Should I Stay etc however I can't imagine listening to them for more than 3 or 4 songs before I wanted something else

They did some great songs over the years but I can't say I could listen to whole album of theirs. Despite owning them all. Sandinista could have been a great album if it was just two sides of vinyl instead of six.

Sir C
11-14-2017, 03:13 PM

No ****'s mentioned Astral Weeks ffs. :-(

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:14 PM

sw did thus me leaving it off

Burney
11-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Noodly hippy wánk.

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:15 PM

And of course,who can forget Made In Dublin :love:

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Noodly hippy wánk.

Personally I prefer Moondance or Enlightenment

SWv2
11-14-2017, 03:18 PM

Dutch ****.

SWv2
11-14-2017, 03:21 PM

I watched a Sky Arts program on them just recently, inputs from various chancers plus Mick Jones plus Robin Banks.

They were a good band, one absolute classic album and 2-3 others good. The program was a little over the top all the same.

I could be mistaken but I think one contributor may have referred to them as the best, or most important, band ever.

Ash
11-14-2017, 03:24 PM
Sandinista could have been a great album if it was just two sides of vinyl instead of six.

:nod: Mick Jones' ego span completely out of control there. Not sure what drug he was taking that rendered his critical faculties inoperable while he was insisting on adding complete dross to what should have been a fine album, but I'm amazed that no-one was able to stop him.

Burney
11-14-2017, 03:25 PM
I watched a Sky Arts program on them just recently, inputs from various chancers plus Mick Jones plus Robin Banks.

They were a good band, one absolute classic album and 2-3 others good. The program was a little over the top all the same.

I could be mistaken but I think one contributor may have referred to them as the best, or most important, band ever.

Yeah, I'll admit that the hyperbole about them from punk-era cünts does probably poison my feelings about them. In fact, I strongly feel that the whole pùnk thing was a load of old böllocks and that, if they were a good band, The Clash would have been a much better band if they hadn't been hitched to the whole punk thing, which was all posturing nonsense.

Burney
11-14-2017, 03:27 PM
:nod: Mick Jones' ego span completely out of control there. Not sure what drug he was taking that rendered his critical faculties inoperable while he was insisting on adding complete dross to what should have been a fine album, but I'm amazed that no-one was able to stop him.

Big Audio Dynamite is surely evidence that Mick Jones is not a man to trust alone in a recording studio?

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I'll admit that the hyperbole about them from punk-era cünts does probably poison my feelings about them. In fact, I strongly feel that the whole pùnk thing was a load of old böllocks and that, if they were a good band, The Clash would have been a much better band if they hadn't been hitched to the whole punk thing, which was all posturing nonsense.

Arguably The Jam were the one true punk band.Get the old 1/2/3/4 100mph stuff out of your system and move on.The Clash did with Dub and Reggae but sort of couldn't break out of that.

Ash
11-14-2017, 03:28 PM

I saw that too. I like The Clash, but how any muppet could say that while The Jam and The Stranglers were both making better albums than The Clash at the same time and most importantly, in the same genre, boggles belief.

SWv2
11-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Arguably The Jam were the one true punk band.Get the old 1/2/3/4 100mph stuff out of your system and move on.The Clash did with Dub and Reggae but sort of couldn't break out of that.

Oh fúck it, any excuse really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t9Iwj0DJO4

:nod:

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:32 PM

Think the old pop art stuff went completely over everyone's head at the time

Luis Anaconda
11-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Dutch ****.

Nerves getting to you before tonight, s?

Ash

I'll never forget the moment in 1977 when the stylus landed on that vinyl for the first time and that song blasted out.

Burney

The Jam were a very good pub band with a few decent tunes.

SWv2
11-14-2017, 03:36 PM

They are everywhere mate with their stupid fúcking horns and bells.

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:36 PM
The Jam were a very good pub band with a few decent tunes.

Marked man you are b.
No-one expects the Trans Global Express Inquisition.

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:38 PM

Me,Ciaran Óg,few of his mates,box of beer or 2,pizzas and down the pub to celebrate.What could possibly go wrong?

Ash
11-14-2017, 03:41 PM

But like the other really really good punk-era band i just mentioned, they had both been doing their own thing for years, and just sped up what they were playing when punk came along.

Of course it depends what punk is defined as. For some it was posturing with safety pins, for others, playing at 100pmh. For me it was an energetic rebellion expressed through music.

Burney
11-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Marked man you are b.
No-one expects the Trans Global Express Inquisition.

I said they were a very good pub band :shrug: What more do you want?

World's End Stella
11-14-2017, 03:42 PM
But like the other really really good punk-era band i just mentioned, they had both been doing their own thing for years, and just sped up what they were playing when punk came along.

Of course it depends what punk is defined as. For some it was posturing with safety pins, for others others playing at 100pmh. For me it was an energetic rebellion expressed through music.

Yeah but the music was a bit sh1t and the rebellion seemed to end with most of them sat in a dark room with a needle in their arms. :shrug:

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:43 PM
I said they were a very good pub band :shrug: What more do you want?

Well,you could have mentioned Weller's monkey boots on the sleeve of AMC for a start.
Monkey boots :sigh:

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Of course it depends what punk is defined as. For some it was posturing with safety pins, for others others playing at 100pmh. For me it was an energetic rebellion expressed through music.

I have a Ramones greatest hits album A
26 minutes long :love:

Ash
11-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Yeah but the music was a bit sh1t and the rebellion seemed to end with most of them sat in a dark room with a needle in their arms. :shrug:

Actually, no. It was a revolution that shaped what happened afterwards. As for your opinion as to what is shít, you continuously demonstrate that you live in a binary word where personal taste and subjectivity have no meaning, so ner. :vsign:

Burney
11-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Well,you could have mentioned Weller's monkey boots on the sleeve of AMC for a start.

Do you know, I've never really been sure why they're called monkey boots.

Ash
11-14-2017, 03:49 PM

I spent most of the 80s wearing monkey boots, ISTR.

Burney
11-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Actually, no. It was a revolution that shaped what happened afterwards. As for your opinion as to what is shít, you continuously demonstrate that you live in a binary word where personal taste and subjectivity have no meaning, so ner. :vsign:

Look, we all retain soft spots for the music of our youth that are impervious to critical reason, don't we? Hence I still love Prince and The Smiths and can even listen to Tears For Fears with a large degree of pleasure (albeit when no-one else is around).

The one I'm totally over these days is Joy Division. Loved it as an angsty teenager. Think it's unlistenable shïte these days.

World's End Stella

No, that's Burney you're thinking of there. ;-)

But seriously, did people really like the music? Not the whole effect, I got that too. But the music itself, of itself, on its own.

People really liked it?

TheCurly

Suggestions please.

Oh and not forgetting:
The Band - music From The Big Pink and
Bob Dylan's Desire (which is far superior to Blood On The Tracks as Emmylou is on it.FACT)

Sir C
11-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Suggestions please.

Trout Mask Replica. You must download Trout Mask replica.

Burney
11-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Stop trying to do this to people, you fiend!

Oh, hang on. It's WES, isn't it? He deserves Trout Mask Replica.

Carry on.

SWv2
11-14-2017, 03:55 PM
I spent most of the 80s wearing monkey boots, ISTR.

Very popular again as it goes.

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 03:56 PM

I borrowed this from a friend in school who was into his King Crimson and the Grateful Dead and what not.Was hardly on the turntable for 5 minutes when my dear old mum threatened to call the priest.

SWv2
11-14-2017, 03:58 PM
No, that's Burney you're thinking of there. ;-)

But seriously, did people really like the music? Not the whole effect, I got that too. But the music itself, of itself, on its own.

People really liked it?

Arguably the classic of the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPowvspa4BI

Though difficult to deny the 4 singles from NMTB.

Sir C
11-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Look, we all retain soft spots for the music of our youth that are impervious to critical reason, don't we? Hence I still love Prince and The Smiths and can even listen to Tears For Fears with a large degree of pleasure (albeit when no-one else is around).

The one I'm totally over these days is Joy Division. Loved it as an angsty teenager. Think it's unlistenable shïte these days.

:hehe: There really is a little bit of you that's still 14 years old.

Burney
11-14-2017, 04:00 PM
:hehe: There really is a little bit of you that's still 14 years old.

:hehe: Yeah. To be fair, though, it's the same bit that still likes Tears For Fears.

IUFG
11-14-2017, 04:05 PM
:hehe: Yeah. To be fair, though, it's the same bit that still likes Tears For Fears.

here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09bcns2 put that on and listen to some of the vocals.

That'll end your admiration of them.

No need for thanks.

Sir C
11-14-2017, 04:05 PM
I borrowed this from a friend in school who was into his King Crimson and the Grateful Dead and what not.Was hardly on the turntable for 5 minutes when my dear old mum threatened to call the priest.

Listen to it now, c. Listen to it 6 or 7 times. It's... intriguing.

Sir C
11-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Stop trying to do this to people, you fiend!

Oh, hang on. It's WES, isn't it? He deserves Trout Mask Replica.

Carry on.

It's good, b. It's sort of interesting, like watching a car crash.

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 04:09 PM

Oh I'm far too old now.Catskill/Appalachian mountain hillybilly music will see me through to the twilight years SC

Burney
11-14-2017, 04:09 PM
here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09bcns2 put that on and listen to some of the vocals.

That'll end your admiration of them.

No need for thanks.

Oh, God! They're so old! :cry:

As for the lyrics, you have to remember that they wrote an album that was about Primal Scream Therapy and I still liked them. Listening to it now is hardly likely to change anything, is it?

Burney
11-14-2017, 04:11 PM

It's the musical equivalent of what Olivier does to Hoffman in Marathon Man.

Burney
11-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Oh I'm far too old now.Catskill/Appalachian mountain hillybilly music will see me through to the twilight years SC

:nod: I think these hillbilly lads have it about right.

Mind you, have you ever tried Sacred Harp Singing? I'm very fond of a bit of Sacred Harp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STtz7ZhEC6U

Ash
11-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Arguably the classic of the genre.

Though difficult to deny the 4 singles from NMTB.

You mean The Buzzcocks? Not the television programme.

Of course, New Rose was the first punk single. I prefer this one of theirs though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0och2Q_zg

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 04:22 PM
:nod: I think these hillbilly lads have it about right.

Mind you, have you ever tried Sacred Harp Singing? I'm very fond of a bit of Sacred Harp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STtz7ZhEC6U

No banjos b :-( Although I do like that

SWv2
11-14-2017, 04:30 PM
You mean The Buzzcocks? Not the television programme.

Of course, New Rose was the first punk single. I prefer this one of theirs though.

Never really warmed to the program as largely I was of the view that Mark Lamarr was a twát.

NMTB, the LP.

4 singles, each a classic, few others decent tunes (New York). Some ****e on it too mind you.

Difficult to argue that AITU or GSTQ are not the definitive songs.

TheCurly
11-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Never really warmed to the program as largely I was of the view that Mark Lamarr was a twát.

NMTB, the LP.

4 singles, each a classic, few others decent tunes (New York). Some ****e on it too mind you.

Difficult to argue that AITU or GSTQ are not the definitive songs.

The song I keep returning to is EMI....just wonderfully ****ing brilliant

Burney
11-14-2017, 04:40 PM
The song I keep returning to is EMI....just wonderfully ****ing brilliant

Holidays in the Sun is still a good one. Pretty Vacant still stands up as well.

SWv2
11-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Holidays in the Sun is still a good one. Pretty Vacant still stands up as well.

Tears for Fears?

Fúck me.

Chief Arrowhead
11-14-2017, 04:48 PM
I'll never forget the moment in 1977 when the stylus landed on that vinyl for the first time and that song blasted out.

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

imo

Ash
11-14-2017, 05:13 PM
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

imo

It was The Jam - Art School, if you couldn't see it.

So Chief, is yer man about to blow open the whole corrupt swamp? Something bigly is about to happen, no? #followthewhiterabbit

Chief Arrowhead
11-14-2017, 05:46 PM
It was The Jam - Art School, if you couldn't see it.

So Chief, is yer man about to blow open the whole corrupt swamp? Something bigly is about to happen, no? #followthewhiterabbit

This swamp is a lot bigger, deeper, and with more vermin than anyone realized! Tell you what, he hasn't lost any of his supporters, which is all he has, really. Everyone is being exposed, so to speak, that's for sure. I'm enjoying the implosion. The Swamp have only themselves to blame. Their behavior created Trump.