PDA

View Full Version : These youngsters breaking through.

Sir C
11-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Did those lads look committed in the tackle to you? I thought I saw a reluctance to engage in the more physical aspects of the game.

Are we breeding snowflakes in football clubs as well as universities?

SWv2
11-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Did those lads look committed in the tackle to you? I thought I saw a reluctance to engage in the more physical aspects of the game.

"I’m not coaching tackles," he said, like some tiki-taka-loving, Messi-dependant, Johnny Foreigner manager that will clearly never beat Stoke away in midweek.

"I’m not training for tackles…what’s tackles?"

Tackling as such has been refereed almost out of the game.

Peter
11-03-2017, 10:29 AM

I thought I saw 'the lad' Willock win a challenge but I may have imagined it.

Jack looked ok. Bit sloppy at times but his fitness is getting better.

Sir C
11-03-2017, 10:41 AM

Jack's just trying to do too much in that team. He knows he has to carry them so he's trying too hard.

Stick him back in the first team. He's ready.

I don't know why I'm telling you what to do; it's not as if you pick the fúcking team, is it?

SWv2
11-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Jack's just trying to do too much in that team. He knows he has to carry them so he's trying too hard.

Stick him back in the first team. He's ready.

I don't know why I'm telling you what to do; it's not as if you pick the fúcking team, is it?

It is called having an opinion and while some may see it as a crime others don’t.

However my Dutch friend, riddle me this, in place of who (or perhaps whom, I am sure you will correct me in that haughty manner of yours). The German maestro, the Chilean petulant, surely neither of the midfield combatants?

Perhaps we revert to the traditional back 4 and allow him to try and deny midfield space to the magnificent footballing wizardry of the current City team?

The back and forth of football debate, marvellous.

Sir C
11-03-2017, 10:52 AM
It is called having an opinion and while some may see it as a crime others don’t.

However my Dutch friend, riddle me this, in place of who (or perhaps whom, I am sure you will correct me in that haughty manner of yours). The German maestro, the Chilean petulant, surely neither of the midfield combatants?

Perhaps we revert to the traditional back 4 and allow him to try and deny midfield space to the magnificent footballing wizardry of the current City team?

The back and forth of football debate, marvellous.

Given Xhaka's current form, I would play Jack deep, just in front of the back four. Particularly this weekend. Longer term - I'd sell Sanchez and Ozil in January, so there are plenty of options for Jack.

SWv2
11-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Given Xhaka's current form, I would play Jack deep, just in front of the back four. Particularly this weekend. Longer term - I'd sell Sanchez and Ozil in January, so there are plenty of options for Jack.

So to summarise you think Xhaka is shít and you are openly criticising the summer transfer policy of AW.

You’ve changed man.

Sir C
11-03-2017, 11:02 AM
So to summarise you think Xhaka is shít and you are openly criticising the summer transfer policy of AW.

You’ve changed man.

I'm very much an admirer of the Swiss-Albanian-Whateverer; however, he looks to me at present like a man living through a waking nightmare. He needs a couple of weeks off to regroup, perhaps.

SWv2
11-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Save for 2 obvious errors in recent matches I think GX has done very well. His pass to Kolasinac on Saturday which lead to the winner, a pre-assist I believe is what Ash would refer to it as, marvellous.

Even the Everton one he was not alone at fault but carried the blame.

Tactically I am unsure if AW has really nailed the current midfield balance but I am not going to blame the Albanian for that.

Ash
11-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Save for 2 obvious errors in recent matches I think GX has done very well. His pass to Kolasinac on Saturday which lead to the winner, a pre-assist I believe is what Ash would refer to it as, marvellous.

:nono: It's all about the xG Chain these days.

and no, that's not the Xhaka Granit chain.

Burney
11-03-2017, 11:22 AM

I rather liked the look of young Willock, actually.

Clearly a stellar career as a journeyman pro in the lower leagues awaits

Burney
11-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Tactically I am unsure if AW has really nailed the current midfield balance but I am not going to blame the Albanian for that.

Is he our first ever player whose surname begins with an ‘X’? I suspect he is, you know.

SWv2
11-03-2017, 11:24 AM
:nono: It's all about the xG Chain these days.

and no, that's not the Xhaka Granit chain.

I googled it.

Look forward to rolling this out at Knocklyon United U10 post game analysis sessions.

:-(

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 11:26 AM
"I’m not coaching tackles," he said, like some tiki-taka-loving, Messi-dependant, Johnny Foreigner manager that will clearly never beat Stoke away in midweek.

"I’m not training for tackles…what’s tackles?"

Tackling as such has been refereed almost out of the game.

Guardiola, I presume. Or was it Allardyce?

Perfectly correct though, imo. The need to make tackles is too often the result of poor play. Eliminate the poor play; no need to tackle. Easy.

Peter
11-03-2017, 11:32 AM

The solution is obvious. Xhaka needs to remain and we can help him by giving him somebody to pass to when he receives the ball deep. So, instead of looking up and seeing a Welshman heading towards the opposition penalty area, he can look up sand see JAck finding space to receive the ball within 10-15 years of him.

In other words, Ramsey can **** off and play instead of Ozil- or sit on the bench.

Of course, that cant happen this weekend as Jack is now officially knackered having played 90 minutes last night.

Peter
11-03-2017, 11:34 AM
I rather liked the look of young Willock, actually.

Clearly a stellar career as a journeyman pro in the lower leagues awaits

Given that he has some growing to do, he looked relatively powerful at times. THere might be a player there.

Same with Maitland-Niles who has the potential to be almost as good as the Ox....

Ash
11-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Perfectly correct though, imo. The need to make tackles is too often the result of poor play. Eliminate the poor play; no need to tackle. Easy.

Tackling is good fun. For a chap like me with a good eye for the ball, a natural sense of timing and pretty much no technical ability whatsoever, nicking the ball off some fanny-dancer's feet is pure joy. Then I look up in panic hoping that one of our clever chaps is nearby so I can pass him the damn thing quickly.

PSRB
11-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Given that he has some growing to do, he looked relatively powerful at times. THere might be a player there.

Same with Maitland-Niles who has the potential to be almost as good as the Ox....

I'd like to see Maitland-Niles and Nelson in their preferred positions

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Tackling is good fun. For a chap like me with a good eye for the ball, a natural sense of timing and pretty much no technical ability whatsoever, nicking the ball off some fanny-dancer's feet is pure joy. Then I look up in panic hoping that one of our clever chaps is nearby so I can pass him the damn thing quickly.

In Barcelona though, l'àrbitre is responsible for winning you the ball back.

Burney
11-03-2017, 11:41 AM

Oh. I didn’t think he was that bad :-(

Ash
11-03-2017, 11:42 AM
In Barcelona though, l'àrbitre is responsible for winning you the ball back.

Who's he, redg? Is that Catalonian for 'referee'?

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Right. Not sure how it helps Sam Allardyce though.

Ash
11-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Right. Not sure how it helps Sam Allardyce though.

Play the ball out quickly and always be first to the knock-down. Score the first goal and keep a clean sheet.

This game is easy. :thumbup:

SWv2
11-03-2017, 11:52 AM

Very good A.

SWv2
11-03-2017, 11:54 AM

I see the Ox has been dropped by England for being a "bang average shít****" to quote Southgate.

Looks like the move is paying immediate dividends for the lad.

Burney
11-03-2017, 11:59 AM
I see the Ox has been dropped by England for being a "bang average shít****" to quote Southgate.

Looks like the move is paying immediate dividends for the lad.

Yes. It seems that there’s more to being a decent player than being able to run with the ball directly at the heart of the opposition’s defence (and invariably lose possession) and taking occasional speculative potshots from distance. Who knew, eh?

Ash
11-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Very good A.

I think redg had actually made the joke first. I just accidently translated it.

SWv2
11-03-2017, 12:10 PM
I think redg had actually made the joke first. I just accidently translated it.

He's a dark horse is Red. I will probably get in trouble for that now :-\

Now, onto different matters, you attended last night I assume? How bad was it, I only caught about 15 of it and it seemed like 13 too many.

World's End Stella
11-03-2017, 12:16 PM
I thought Maitland-Niles looked quite good, and there were some pleasing things from Willock and Nelson (I think that was their names) but the other young lad looked poor. He had pace but seemed clueless as to how to use it and everything he did looked so scripted and predictable that it was all easily cut out by not very good players.

Then I realized it was Walcott. 100K per week on a 5 year contract Walcott. :-|

Viva Prat Vegas
11-03-2017, 12:17 PM

Now, onto different matters, you attended last night I assume? How bad was it, I only caught about 15 of it and it seemed like 13 too many.

Of the youngsters
GK Macey and Nelson were very impressive
Willock and Maitland-Niles played with no fear
Walcott has a long way to go and looked the most inexperienced kid on the pitch

Burney
11-03-2017, 12:18 PM
I thought Maitland-Niles looked quite good, and there were some pleasing things from Willock and Nelson (I think that was their names) but the other young lad looked poor. He had pace but seemed clueless as to how to use it and everything he did looked so scripted and predictable that it was all easily cut out by not very good players.

I was discussing this last night. How is it possible to play for that long at the highest level and apparently not to have learned anything?

Viva Prat Vegas
11-03-2017, 12:19 PM
I was discussing this last night. How is it possible to play for that long at the highest level and apparently not to have learned anything?

Monty said he is a slow developer
Chris Waddle was right
He has no footballing brain

World's End Stella
11-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Monty said he is a slow developer
Chris Waddle was right
He has no footballing brain

There's another more likely option, I think. He knows what he needs to do but also knows that he isn't able to do it because other than running fast and finishing he doesn't have any real footballing ability.

So he doesn't.

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 12:25 PM

He was also captain and yet 18 year-old teammates were opting to shoot from outside the box rather than pass to him in space :-\

World's End Stella
11-03-2017, 12:29 PM
He was also captain and yet 18 year-old teammates were opting to shoot from outside the box rather than pass to him in space :-\

And remember that if Wenger had his way both Walcott and Ox would still be with Arsenal on a combined almost 300K a week.

Staggering.

SWv2
11-03-2017, 12:30 PM
I sense a developing sense of frustration with TJ.

Perhaps I am wrong.

Luis Anaconda
11-03-2017, 12:41 PM
He made a terrible run there though - he should have stayed wide and made the defender make a decision instead he run directly into a space that the defender could easily cover. With the other defender also directly in the line of any pass Willock could make even Dennis, blessed be his name, would have struggled to get it through. Dennis's shot may have been a bit better though

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 12:50 PM
He made a terrible run there though - he should have stayed wide and made the defender make a decision instead he run directly into a space that the defender could easily cover. With the other defender also directly in the line of any pass Willock could make even Dennis, blessed be his name, would have struggled to get it through. Dennis's shot may have been a bit better though

For me, that's what midfield players always do when they don't really trust their striker; they hesitate. As you suggest, the whole point about Dennis was that if you cut off the through-ball, he would simply put it into the top corner instead. So, for the striker, there's no such thing as a terrible run.

Peter
11-03-2017, 01:01 PM

I know they are a mix of kids and reserves but this team, or a very similar shape and selection., has now played together seven times this season. You would think a little bit of an understanding would have developed in certain areas.

Elneny's career as a centre back isn't really taking off.....

Viva Prat Vegas
11-03-2017, 01:05 PM
I know they are a mix of kids and reserves but this team, or a very similar shape and selection., has now played together seven times this season. You would think a little bit of an understanding would have developed in certain areas.

There is an understanding
They understand not to pass to Walcott

Elneny is little bit at the Coquelin level

Red Star should have scored with a direct move just on h/t

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Simply because once you've made it to the highest level, it's too late. They don't really "improve", in the way normal people understand the term, and they know it. Which is probably why they bang on about it so much.

Luis Anaconda
11-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Well they have won 6 and drawn one so they aren't really doing too badly

Luis Anaconda
11-03-2017, 01:17 PM
There is an understanding
They understand not to pass to Walcott

Elneny is little bit at the Coquelin level

Red Star should have scored with a direct move just on h/t
Yeah, but the ball from the goal line, right through the middle of the our penalty which started an attack that was in there box in seconds :love: That's proper football that is

Sir C
11-03-2017, 01:18 PM

I confess I am surprised at the level of criticism about last night, given that they have qualified from the group unbeaten, and all.

Peter
11-03-2017, 01:19 PM

No, but then they are playing against rubbish. I suppose my point is that the performances look just as disjointed as they did seven games ago.

It doesnt really matter. We are only really looking to see whether Jack gets better and whether any of the kids are any good.

Luis Anaconda
11-03-2017, 01:21 PM
No, but then they are playing against rubbish. I suppose my point is that the performances look just as disjointed as they did seven games ago.

It doesnt really matter. We are only really looking to see whether Jack gets better and whether any of the kids are any good.

It was very disjointed in the first half, better in the second. The same team hasn't been playing every game either

Viva Prat Vegas
11-03-2017, 01:21 PM
I confess I am surprised at the level of criticism about last night, given that they have qualified from the group unbeaten, and all.

I think it was a case of getting the job done
Not that the cunds who booed at the final whistle would recognise that
The proper youngsters deserve better

Viva Prat Vegas
11-03-2017, 01:24 PM
It was very disjointed in the first half, better in the second. The same team hasn't been playing every game either

Yes good point re scratch team selections
Some of the young ones were also played out of position too I think

Luis Anaconda
11-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Yes good point re scratch team selections
Some of the young ones were also played out of position too I think
Indeed - yet Peter are others expect them to be worldbeaters straightaway. Sickening, vpv.

And did people really boo at the final whistle after we achieved qualification. That really is shocking

Ash
11-03-2017, 01:30 PM

Rather bad, I thought. This b-team has been lucky to have won its previous five imo and West Ham have a good chance against them in the Rumbelows.

Red Star were very keen to get a point and when they weren't defending resolutely and looking dangerous on the counter (but squandering all their chances), they spent much of the evening writhing on the floor and exercising the physio. This did little for the flow of the match, also not helped by the lack of fluidity of this disjointed Arsenal team. These kids playing out of position as wing backs might have got us through the group but I can't seeing it working against better sides. Jack seems frustrated and tries to do it all himself.

I liked Debuchy though. Should be available for a first team CB role if needed.

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Indeed - yet Peter are others expect them to be worldbeaters straightaway. Sickening, vpv.

And did people really boo at the final whistle after we achieved qualification. That really is shocking

No, not world-beaters; just Red Star Belgrade beaters. I suppose our supporters in the ground just wanted to see us win and were disappointed we didn't.

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Rather bad, I thought. This b-team has been lucky to have won its previous five imo and West Ham have a good chance against them in the Rumbelows.

Red Star were very keen to get a point and when they weren't defending resolutely and looking dangerous on the counter (but squandering all their chances), they spent much of the evening writhing on the floor and exercising the physio. This did little for the flow of the match, also not helped by the lack of fluidity of this disjointed Arsenal team. These kids playing out of position as wing backs might have got us through the group but I can't seeing it working against better sides. Jack seems frustrated and tries to do it all himself.

Isn't he a bit little for that sort of thing? Like Gary Neville.

Peter
11-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Hmmm...I am not sure I said that at all. I was looking for some greater sense of discipline/cohesion and am not seeing it.

I did accept it isn't exactly the same team every week but its not far off.

I think my broader point is that Wenger is a clueless ****.

Viva Prat Vegas
11-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Agree with you
Did you see the goalkeeper fall on the floor when he tried to throw the ball out ?
:hehe:

For the knock-out stages I would ask Arsene Wenger to select more experience and less teens
And leave Walcott out of the Emirates Stadium

Luis Anaconda
11-03-2017, 01:38 PM
hmmm...i am not sure i said that at all. I was looking for some greater sense of discipline/cohesion and am not seeing it.

I did accept it isn't exactly the same team every week but its not far off.

I think my broader point is that wenger is a clueless ****.
booooooooooo p boooooooooooo

Peter
11-03-2017, 01:39 PM

It was nice to see that our unique 'special skill' of losing the ball in midfield and getting caught on the counter runs right through all our teams. Its becoming part of the fabric of the club. Good to see....

Peter
11-03-2017, 01:40 PM
booooooooooo p boooooooooooo

Santi nearly lost his foot thanks to Wenger and his clueless medical team. He is lucky to be alive!

Wexit!

Ash
11-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Agree with you
Did you see the goalkeeper fall on the floor when he tried to throw the ball out ?

Literally the most entertaining moment of the match.

Except perhaps for Jack's effort that got cleared off the line and Macey's rather fine save onto the bar.

Peter
11-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Agree with you

For the knock-out stages I would ask Arsene Wenger to select more experience and less teens
And leave Walcott out of the Emirates Stadium

I should say I think the keeper looks ok. Bit of a camera bandit but I think that is fairly usual when you re selected for these 'first team' opportunities.

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 01:44 PM
I should say I think the keeper looks ok. Bit of a camera bandit but I think that is fairly usual when you re selected for these 'first team' opportunities.

As bad as that, eh :-(

SWv2
11-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Isn't he a bit little for that sort of thing? Like Gary Neville.

Taller than Franco Baresi.

In a defensive trio with the correctly chosen fellow personnel height is not the paramount selection criteria.

SWv2
11-03-2017, 02:07 PM

How shít was Coquelin A, give it to me straight.

Ash
11-03-2017, 02:14 PM
How shít was Coquelin A, give it to me straight.

On at least two occasions he was spectacularly shít. But one tends not to notice players so much when they are doing the basics ok so he probably wasn't bad the whole time.

I do fear that whoever is supposed to be the 'one' at the back of our midfield is going to be under pressure though.

redgunamo
11-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Taller than Franco Baresi.

In a defensive trio with the correctly chosen fellow personnel height is not the paramount selection criteria.

glwtpimo :-\