PDA

View Full Version : A comment I heard on the radio this morning

Peter
11-01-2017, 09:44 AM
"We shouldn't be thinking in terms of a hierarchy of offences where the touching of a knee is less serious than rape. They are all part of the same culture".

I have known three women in my life who have been raped and I am confident that all three of them would punch you in the face for saying something as ****ing stupid as that.

Monty92
11-01-2017, 09:53 AM
if by 'culture' they meant 'masculinity'.

Men touch women's knees, in part, because they are men with uniquely masculine biological traits, often combined with their position in the male-dominated power structure of society. And men also rape women for the same reasons.

The only discussion to be had is what we should do about it.

Once again, much like the Wenger debate, there's not as big a divergence of opinion as people might like to think.

"We shouldn't be thinking in terms of a hierarchy of offences where the touching of a knee is less serious than rape. They are all part of the same culture".

I have known three women in my life who have been raped and I am confident that all three of them would punch you in the face for saying something as ****ing stupid as that.

Burney
11-01-2017, 10:00 AM

Men touch women's knees, in part, because they are men with uniquely masculine biological traits, often combined with their position in the male-dominated power structure of society. And men also rape women for the same reasons.

Once again, much like the Wenger debate, there's not as big a divergence of opinion as people might like to think.

People steal because they want things they don't have. Thus, all theft is part of the same 'culture'.

It doesn't therefore follow, however, that we should treat a child stealing penny chews from Woolworths in the same way we treat someone who mugs grannies for their pension books. That logic serves simply to criminalise the trivial and trivialise the criminal.

Sir C
11-01-2017, 10:01 AM

Surely the problem is that we're completely missing the point, which is that all PIV is rape, and all men are rapists.

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:08 AM

Funny that. A man is programmed to rape by his biological traits. He isn't, however, programmed to be a man and as soon as he announces that he wishes to be a woman that biology becomes irrelevant.

It may be possible to link the two offences to the same motivation, or the same root cause. It is tenuous, and I cant tell you it is ****ing *******s, but one may at least try.

THat isn't what is being suggested. Rejecting the notion of a hierarchy is not linking the two motives, it is suggesting that the two offences are not inherently more or less serious than one another. In other words, touching a knee is as damaging, as terrifying, as horrific, as raping someone.

Linked by the same motive or cause is a hierarchy. A flat line approach that shoves every perceived offence into the 'rape culture' file is nothing more than the work of a complete and utter ****. It MASSIVELY trivialises rape.

Burney
11-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Surely the problem is that we're completely missing the point, which is that all PIV is rape, and all men are rapists.

I take it your glw has made this clear to you? :-(

Ash
11-01-2017, 10:09 AM

And presumably we shouldn't be thinking in terms of a hierarchy of hate crime offences where giving someone a funny look is less serious than the Holocaust.

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:10 AM

Apart from bum bandits and those men who wish to become women.

In other words, all straight mean are rapists.

Monty92
11-01-2017, 10:11 AM
People steal because they want things they don't have. Thus, all theft is part of the same 'culture'.

It doesn't therefore follow, however, that we should treat a child stealing penny chews from Woolworths in the same way we treat someone who mugs grannies for their pension books. That logic serves simply to criminalise the trivial and trivialise the criminal.

Firstly, I obviously agree. Secondly, I don't actually think anyone is suggesting they should be treated the same in any meaningful way. That's a bit of a straw man. No-one thinks a man who touches a woman's knee should be jailed.

A lot of people are pushing back against the idea that hands on knees are trivial because that doesn't tackle the 'culture' of masculinity that we both acknowledge exists. But anyone sane and worth listening to KNOWS it's trivial. The divergence comes when people claim that we need to have a zero tolerance approach to ANY expression of masculine sexuality in ORDER to tackle the more serious stuff.

We both think this is ****ing stupid.

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:11 AM
And presumably we shouldn't be thinking in terms of a hierarchy of hate crime offences where giving someone a funny look is less serious than the Holocaust.

You have to nip these things in the bud.

Monty92
11-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Funny that. A man is programmed to rape by his biological traits. He isn't, however, programmed to be a man and as soon as he announces that he wishes to be a woman that biology becomes irrelevant.

It may be possible to link the two offences to the same motivation, or the same root cause. It is tenuous, and I cant tell you it is ****ing *******s, but one may at least try.

THat isn't what is being suggested. Rejecting the notion of a hierarchy is not linking the two motives, it is suggesting that the two offences are not inherently more or less serious than one another. In other words, touching a knee is as damaging, as terrifying, as horrific, as raping someone.

Linked by the same motive or cause is a hierarchy. A flat line approach that shoves every perceived offence into the 'rape culture' file is nothing more than the work of a complete and utter ****. It MASSIVELY trivialises rape.

I think you present a bit of a straw man. Not entirely, but a little bit.

Burney
11-01-2017, 10:12 AM

What I find interesting is that this strand of feminism seems happy to accept the trivialisation of actual rape as a reasonable price to pay for putting a societal leash on non-rapey men and the demonisation of a range of relatively normal male behaviours.

Sir C
11-01-2017, 10:16 AM
Apart from bum bandits and those men who wish to become women.

In other words, all straight mean are rapists.

I was drinking until late in Soho last night. There were many men dressed as Freddie Mercury. I don't really know why.

Some of them may, i suspect, be gay.

Monty92

Well, again, being mean, whether it's a funny look or brazen bigotry, is part of the same culture, yes.

It's a bigger jump than when we're talking about expressions of masculine sexuality, but the parallel still exists.

Peter
I think you present a bit of a straw man. Not entirely, but a little bit.

You do use that word an awful lot.

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Well, again, being mean, whether it's a funny look or brazen bigotry, is part of the same culture, yes.

It's a bigger jump than when we're talking about expressions of masculine sexuality, but the parallel still exists.

Holocaust culture.

Monty92
11-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Holocaust culture.

No, being mean culture

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:20 AM
What I find interesting is that this strand of feminism seems happy to accept the trivialisation of actual rape as a reasonable price to pay for putting a societal leash on non-rapey men and the demonisation of a range of relatively normal male behaviours.

It doesnt just trivialise rape. It obstructs any reasonable dialogue.

You can talk a bloke through why he shouldn't be grabbing a girl's tits in a nightclub and he might, just possibly, listen to you. If you effectively call him a rapist he is going to dismiss you as a nutter.

Do we really want to deal with the behaviours or do we just want to demonise people?

Ash
11-01-2017, 10:20 AM

You are mental. No offence, like.

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:21 AM
No, being mean culture

That would make 'rape culture' the 'touching knee culture'. The whole point is that you name it after the biggest crime.

Unless you are happy with referring to the holocaust as just another part of the 'being mean culture'....

Burney
11-01-2017, 10:21 AM
I was drinking until late in Soho last night. There were many men dressed as Freddie Mercury. I don't really know why.

Some of them may, i suspect, be gay.

Drinking, eh? On a Tuesday? :shakehead:

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:22 AM
You are mental. No offence, like.

You are embracing the 'being mean culture' here.

Next stop Dachau....

Burney
11-01-2017, 10:25 AM
It doesnt just trivialise rape. It obstructs any reasonable dialogue.

You can talk a bloke through why he shouldn't be grabbing a girl's tits in a nightclub and he might, just possibly, listen to you. If you effectively call him a rapist he is going to dismiss you as a nutter.

Do we really want to deal with the behaviours or do we just want to demonise people?

That's my point. They want to demonise men as a sex first and foremost and will accept trivialising rape and obstructing dialogue as collateral damage in that effort.

Monty92
11-01-2017, 10:26 AM
That would make 'rape culture' the 'touching knee culture'. The whole point is that you name it after the biggest crime.

Unless you are happy with referring to the holocaust as just another part of the 'being mean culture'....

Fine, hate culture. Holocausts are fuelled by hate, so hate is the broader 'umbrella' crime.

Sir C
11-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Drinking, eh? On a Tuesday? :shakehead:

No drinking on Monday to make up for it. This week the dry days shall be Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Burney
11-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Firstly, I obviously agree. Secondly, I don't actually think anyone is suggesting they should be treated the same in any meaningful way. That's a bit of a straw man. No-one thinks a man who touches a woman's knee should be jailed.

A lot of people are pushing back against the idea that hands on knees are trivial because that doesn't tackle the 'culture' of masculinity that we both acknowledge exists. But anyone sane and worth listening to KNOWS it's trivial. The divergence comes when people claim that we need to have a zero tolerance approach to ANY expression of masculine sexuality in ORDER to tackle the more serious stuff.

Men put their hands on women's knees because they fancy them and wish to express the fact - however clumsily. It is not an assault and neither is it particularly traumatic. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it is ultimately pretty trivial. The point is that there has to be a hierarchy of behaviours that acknowledges the triviality of one behaviour in order that we can acknowledge the seriousness of another. To lump all transgressive acts in as suggested does serve to lessen the impact of the more serious ones while blowing the smaller ones out of all proportion.

Monty92
11-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Men put their hands on women's knees because they fancy them and wish to express the fact - however clumsily. It is not an assault and neither is it particularly traumatic. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it is ultimately pretty trivial. The point is that there has to be a hierarchy of behaviours that acknowledges the triviality of one behaviour in order that we can acknowledge the seriousness of another. To lump all transgressive acts in as suggested does serve to lessen the impact of the more serious ones while blowing the smaller ones out of all proportion.

I agree entirely :shrug:

Burney
11-01-2017, 10:48 AM

And that, of course, is why bandying catch-all terms such as 'rape culture' or 'toxic masculinity' around is profoundly unhelpful. As p says, a man who you wish to convince to stop knee-touching is instantly going to cease listening to you when you start lumping him in with rapists or demeaning his entire sex. He will simply - rightly - dismiss you as talking hysterical nonsense.

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:48 AM

Which would suggest that you believe that rape is fuelled by a man's desire to have sex with a particular woman- that they in some way fancy them.

Rape is not about sex, its about control. It is a man asserting his control over a woman, making her subordinate to him. This is the culture; this is the whole crux of the argument; this is why they argue that touching a knee, particularly in a power-imbalance environment, is effectively rape.

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Fine, hate culture. Holocausts are fuelled by hate, so hate is the broader 'umbrella' crime.

I can live with that. As below, this makes rape part of 'control culture'. Say that and you will be accused of trivialising rape, as though comparing it to touching a knee hasn't already done that.

Sorry, it has to be holocaust culture or nothing. I dont make the rules....

Burney
11-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Rape is not about sex, its about control.

Hmmm. I think it is a bit about sex.

Peter
11-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Hmmm. I think it is a bit about sex.

Its in there somewhere...

Burney
11-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Its in there somewhere...

I think the whole 'rape isn't about sex' thing is a comforting lie we all tell ourselves so that we can distance the thing that we do with our wives and girlfriends (may they never meet) from what the rapist does. However, that ignores the fact that the rapist is just as motivated by lust and desire for sexual gratification (however that may be engendered) as we are when we 'make love'.

7sisters
11-01-2017, 11:06 AM

I attended a function and sat at a large round table with two women either side of me. They both began stroking my thigh beneath the table cloth, completely without provocation and independent of each other.
I recall being slightly drunk at the time but amidst the fog, my biggest problem was how to extricate myself from this little menage a trois and leave each of them feeling they could leave with both of their dignities intact.
:-/

Burney
11-01-2017, 11:09 AM
I attended a function and sat at a large round table with two women either side of me. They both began stroking my thigh beneath the table cloth, completely without provocation and independent of each other.
I recall being slightly drunk at the time but amidst the fog, my biggest problem was how to extricate myself from this little menage a trois and leave each of them feeling they could leave with both of their dignities intact.
:-/

The way you've written that suggests that they were stroking the same thigh.

Peter
11-01-2017, 11:22 AM
I think the whole 'rape isn't about sex' thing is a comforting lie we all tell ourselves so that we can distance the thing that we do with our wives and girlfriends (may they never meet) from what the rapist does. However, that ignores the fact that the rapist is just as motivated by lust and desire for sexual gratification (however that may be engendered) as we are when we 'make love'.

Well it becomes hugely confused when the rape in question is part of a what the chap may believe, rightly or wrongly, is consensual sex. I think it relates more closely to your old school rapist, the predator who actually attacks a woman.

Peter
11-01-2017, 11:23 AM

THere are also two women either side of him. He was on for a five-way and turned it down?!

Burney
11-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Well it becomes hugely confused when the rape in question is part of a what the chap may believe, rightly or wrongly, is consensual sex. I think it relates more closely to your old school rapist, the predator who actually attacks a woman.

Sure, but there's still lust and desire for sexual gratification there as well. It may come from a very wrong place, but it's the same set of chemicals.

Burney
11-01-2017, 11:26 AM
THere are also two women either side of him. He was on for a five-way and turned it down?!

Christ, I think I'd turn down a five-way. A two-way is struggle enough these days.

Pokster
11-01-2017, 11:28 AM

They were his mum and his gran..... both like the right leg more i believe

Peter
11-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Christ, I think I'd turn down a five-way. A two-way is struggle enough these days.

Technically five separate rape charges as well. Sod that!

Peter
11-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Sure, but there's still lust and desire for sexual gratification there as well. It may come from a very wrong place, but it's the same set of chemicals.

Experts (and I assume this refers to criminologists and therapists) view it as a means for establishing control. THat in the mind of the rapist sex is inherently about the desire to dominate women, even punish them.

May explain why someone like Weinstein chooses to do all this stuff to women instead of paying for it, which he could easily do. Paying for it is a form of control but one where the woman is willing to accept it. Paying for it also implies that one has to and therefore creates a limit to one's power over women. Coercion reflects his position of power and his ability to control women.

Pure speculation of course. Maybe he is just a sick ******* who enjoys making women do things they dont want to.

Burney
11-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Experts (and I assume this refers to criminologists and therapists) view it as a means for establishing control. THat in the mind of the rapist sex is inherently about the desire to dominate women, even punish them.

May explain why someone like Weinstein chooses to do all this stuff to women instead of paying for it, which he could easily do. Paying for it is a form of control but one where the woman is willing to accept it. Paying for it also implies that one has to and therefore creates a limit to one's power over women. Coercion reflects his position of power and his ability to control women.

Pure speculation of course. Maybe he is just a sick ******* who enjoys making women do things they dont want to.

I'm not denying that the exertion of power and control may be the turn on for someone like Weinstein, but there's a reason he wasn't trying it on with ugly birds and that's because his sexual impulses in terms of attraction and desire were just the same as ours.

Monty92
11-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Thanks for that bit of mansplaining, Peter. I am aware that rape is often about control more than anything else.

However, it is also always fuelled by a man's desire to have sex with a woman. Otherwise, if it's not about sex, why don't heterosexual men ever rape other men?

Which would suggest that you believe that rape is fuelled by a man's desire to have sex with a particular woman- that they in some way fancy them.

Rape is not about sex, its about control. It is a man asserting his control over a woman, making her subordinate to him. This is the culture; this is the whole crux of the argument; this is why they argue that touching a knee, particularly in a power-imbalance environment, is effectively rape.

Ash
11-01-2017, 12:46 PM
However, it is also always fuelled by a man's desire to have sex with a woman. Otherwise, if it's not about sex, why don't heterosexual men ever rape other men?

I think they do in some places. As an assertion of dominance and power.

Burney
11-01-2017, 12:50 PM

Life sounds tough in the IT industry, a. :-(

Peter
11-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Thanks for that bit of mansplaining, Peter. I am aware that rape is often about control more than anything else.

You honestly think that doesnt happen? Have you never seen a prison film?

The point is that the aspect of control is the link between rape and knee touching. If you were to believe that the knee touching is actually just a clumsy move on a woman you fancy then there is no link.

Dont accuse me of mainsplaining again. You are not even a woman

Peter
11-01-2017, 12:58 PM
I'm not denying that the exertion of power and control may be the turn on for someone like Weinstein, but there's a reason he wasn't trying it on with ugly birds and that's because his sexual impulses in terms of attraction and desire were just the same as ours.

Errr..... have you seen some of the victims? They are not all budding models and are nothing compared to what he could have paid for.

I tend to think of it in the same way that blokes, particularly when young, will always look for some pathetic excuse for starting a fight by accusing the target of having spilt their pint/looked at their woman etc......the idea being to make the victim complicit and superficially absolve the aggressor by giving them some form of justification.

I think in Weinstein's mind if the woman submits to coercion then she must effectively 'want it'. THerefore he has pulled rather than paid and his pride is restored.

Burney
11-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Have you never seen a prison film?

Careful, p. You've gone a bit

Peter
11-01-2017, 01:00 PM

That is completely different. It in no way relates to the gender imbalance in society and therefore doesnt count as being part of 'rape culture'.

Peter
11-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Careful, p. You've gone a bit

I wasnt being entirely serious.

How does Sir C feel about the term Airplane?

Ash
11-01-2017, 01:02 PM
You honestly think that doesnt happen? Have you never seen a prison film?

The point is that the aspect of control is the link between rape and knee touching. If you were to believe that the knee touching is actually just a clumsy move on a woman you fancy then there is no link.

Dont accuse me of mainsplaining again. You are not even a woman

I thought that was quite funny actually, when he thanked you for mansplaining. And stop oppressing Monty by saying she can't be a woman.

Perhaps there's another reason for knees getting touched beyond power and the 'clumsy move' - it might be sensually pleasurable in itself, enhanced by the forbidden nature of the act.

Peter
11-01-2017, 01:08 PM
I thought that was quite funny actually, when he thanked you for mansplaining. And stop oppressing Monty by saying she can't be a woman.

Perhaps there's another reason for knees getting touched beyond power and the 'clumsy move' - it might be sensually pleasurable in itself, enhanced by the forbidden nature of the act.

I did once hold a woman's hand because she was trembling and in fear for her life- to be fair, someone had just tried to kill her with a hammer.

I received a verbal, fairly friendly warning to 'watch myself' in future. She wrote me a thank you letter for a)saving her life and b) comforting her in a moment of outright terror.

I got off lightly there.

Ash
11-01-2017, 01:20 PM
I did once hold a woman's hand because she was trembling and in fear for her life- to be fair, someone had just tried to kill her with a hammer.

I received a verbal, fairly friendly warning to 'watch myself' in future. She wrote me a thank you letter for a)saving her life and b) comforting her in a moment of outright terror.

I got off lightly there.

So she first told you off and later thanked you? Or was the warning from someone else?

Peter
11-01-2017, 01:29 PM
So she first told you off and later thanked you? Or was the warning from someone else?

The warning was from a colleague who thought my actions were 'risky'. THe woman squeezed hold of my hand like she was giving birth. I thought it was a justified and appropriate offer of comfort. In my defence, I hadn't been trained in 'rape culture' in those days.

Also worth pointing out that I did NOT save her life. Two large chaps on their way back from the gym saved her by dragging the hammer-wielding lunatic off her.

Sir C
11-01-2017, 01:32 PM
The warning was from a colleague who thought my actions were 'risky'. THe woman squeezed hold of my hand like she was giving birth. I thought it was a justified and appropriate offer of comfort. In my defence, I hadn't been trained in 'rape culture' in those days.

Also worth pointing out that I did NOT save her life. Two large chaps on their way back from the gym saved her by dragging the hammer-wielding lunatic off her.

You showed her your winkie, didn't you? :rolleyes:

Burney
11-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Out of interest, p, have you ever held anyone’s hand when they were giving birth?

Rich
11-01-2017, 01:59 PM

And then you sought to take advantage. This is absolutely sickening. Consider me appalled.

Peter
11-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Out of interest, p, have you ever held anyone’s hand when they were giving birth?

No, but I have seen it in films and the like. Looks pretty straightforward.

Peter
11-01-2017, 02:48 PM
You showed her your winkie, didn't you? :rolleyes:

No. My thoughts turned quite quickly to the whereabouts of the gentleman with the hammer.

Pokster
11-01-2017, 03:14 PM

Most painful experience a man can have... the advice i always offer is to make sure you have taken any wedding ring/ other ring off before she squeezes the living daylights out of you

Pokster
11-01-2017, 03:15 PM
No. My thoughts turned quite quickly to the whereabouts of the gentleman with the hammer.

It's a shame she didn't say "you can't touch this"

I'll get my coat

Rich
11-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Most painful experience a man can have... the advice i always offer is to make sure you have taken any wedding ring/ other ring off before she squeezes the living daylights out of you

A good friend of mine was 3 hours in when the midwife said he should nip home to get some things for the night as she wasn't going to squeeze it out any time soon. We thought it best that we head to the pub for a couple to relax a little. I'm at the bar ordering the second round and he gets a phone call saying baby has arrived :-\

Burney
11-01-2017, 04:05 PM

It’s usually much longer and far less fun than on telly. At points it’s really quite dull. Mind you, it’s preferable to being anywhere near the business end, I’ll say that.

Peter
11-01-2017, 04:11 PM
It’s usually much longer and far less fun than on telly. At points it’s really quite dull. Mind you, it’s preferable to being anywhere near the business end, I’ll say that.

I think is one of those things people make a bit of a fuss about. I mean the entire process of labour usually takes no longer than about 12-14 hours, max.

I cant see it being any worse than a flight with BA and I have done plenty of them.

redgunamo
11-01-2017, 05:00 PM

I presume these criminologists and therapists of yours are currently looking for work?

redgunamo
11-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Life sounds tough in the IT industry, a. :-(

:clap: Oh, I say!

redgunamo
11-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Very straightforward indeed, if one observes the proceedings from a safe distance (in the pub, for example) as I was always advised to do.

Peter
11-01-2017, 05:14 PM
I presume these criminologists and therapists of yours are currently looking for work?

I dont know them. I am just saying, you seem them on the telly and stuff, always going on about it.

Experts etc....

redgunamo
11-01-2017, 05:22 PM
I dont know them. I am just saying, you seem them on the telly and stuff, always going on about it.

Experts etc....

Yes, full of shìt mostly.