PDA

View Full Version : So for various religious reasons we have tomorrow and Wednesday off

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 02:38 PM
meaning every ****er and his wife has also taken today off - mostly it seems to go to the supermarket and stock up on food as the shops will be shut for two whole days. Lovely and quiet in the office

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-30-2017, 02:43 PM
meaning every ****er and his wife has also taken today off - mostly it seems to go to the supermarket and stock up on food as the shops will be shut for two whole days. Lovely and quiet in the office

Are you now fluent in German L?

PSRB
10-30-2017, 02:44 PM

I take it the bars and pubs remain open?

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 02:45 PM
I take it the bars and pubs remain open?
Oh Christ yes. They aren't that uncivilised

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Are you now fluent in German L?

Nein, h. I get by but it is horrible language to speak so I try to avoid doing so. And they love speaking English

Ash
10-30-2017, 02:49 PM

Is this to celebrate the glorious reformation that your fine country there gave the world?

Burney
10-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Is this to celebrate the glorious reformation that your fine country there gave the world?

Not sure how popular that would be in catholic Bavaria, a.

Ash
10-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Not sure how popular that would be in catholic Bavaria, a.

Ah, yes. GPWM.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-30-2017, 02:59 PM
Luis my dear boy. I lived in the old West Germany for four years - and three years in Berlin as a teenager and yet can only manage a vulgar 'pidgin' German if pressed.

This is now a source of acute embarrassment to me and when young germans I meet through work discover I spent nearly seven years there without learning the language, I can see they dismiss me as a stubborn old mule.

I must insist you immerse yourself in study and rectify this nonsense immediately. The fewer of us speak German, the more superior they start to feel, and the highly increased likelihood of them starting off on their 'adventures' again.

Burney
10-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Luis my dear boy. I lived in the old West Germany for four years - and three years in Berlin as a teenager and yet can only manage a vulgar 'pidgin' German if pressed.

This is now a source of acute embarrassment to me and when young germans I meet through work discover I spent nearly seven years there without learning the language, I can see they dismiss me as a stubborn old mule.

I must insist you immerse yourself in study and rectify this nonsense immediately. The fewer of us speak German, the more superior they start to feel, and the highly increased likelihood of them starting off on their 'adventures' again.

My German used to be pretty good (albeit there was that slight misunderstanding in Prague that resulted in me being sexually assaulted and having to claim to be a pàedophile to get out of it). Now - although I spend loads of time there - I barely ever get to use it, since they just speak English the minute I open my mouth. As a result, I barely even bother trying beyond the basic politenesses.

Ash
10-30-2017, 03:12 PM
My German used to be pretty good (albeit there was that slight misunderstanding in Prague that resulted in me being sexually assaulted and having to claim to be a pàedophile to get out of it). Now - although I spend loads of time there - I barely ever get to use it, since they just speak English the minute I open my mouth. As a result, I barely even bother trying beyond the basic politenesses.

Having three genders seems a bit unreasonable to me.

Burney
10-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Having three genders seems a bit unreasonable to me.

Transphobe.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-30-2017, 03:19 PM

It is the oddest thing b but my spoken german improved drastically after I left the place for good circa '84.

I found myself at a very august confirmation celebration with an old Champagne family in Vertus ( friends of the wife - she's the posh one ) some 10 years ago and the village priest - L'Abbé as I learned I should address him - sat next to me and though he spoke no english we were able to discuss a range of issues, war and politics included, in our rudimentary german.

Of all the english folk (aggressively middle-class to a man and woman) at this celebration I was clearly the only one there with anything like a second language and I could see I was immediately held in much higher regard by the french.

Ash
10-30-2017, 03:20 PM
Transphobe.

Oh noes! That's two hate crimes I've committed in a week, including the aggression against leprechauns.

I'm off to open a twitter account so I can submit and confess to the High Sparrow of the Faith Militant so that I may be purified and that others might learn from my example.

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Ah, yes. GPWM.

No - you are right though, a. I was surprised about it - we always got All Saints Day in Bavaria (Never Ever going to change that ... sorry) but I think the reformation day is countrywide (holidays being done on state basis rather than a national one)

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 03:28 PM

Oh - I intend to, h. I have a lot of down time til the end of the year and shall pick it up again. Despite the lazy journalist tag I really work quite hard and, I think this might come as a surprise to some on here, enjoy a drink or two. So time is limited, but in these couple of months I can get back to the studying

Burney
10-30-2017, 03:28 PM
No - you are right though, a. I was surprised about it - we always got All Saints Day in Bavaria (Never Ever going to change that ... sorry) but I think the reformation day is countrywide (holidays being done on state basis rather than a national one)

Yeah, they were going for it in Augsburg when I was there, too. There’s also a truly terrible German series about it currently being shown on BBC4

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 03:36 PM

That's what actually makes it hard, b. I had basic German before I got here (GCSE) but it's difficult to talk to then in their own language. Even had incidents with the police - who you would think for legal reasons would have to speak in German but once thery know you are English ...

Ash
10-30-2017, 03:39 PM
Yeah, they were going for it in Augsburg when I was there, too. There’s also a truly terrible German series about it currently being shown on BBC4

Is it bad? I recorded the first two, but it didn't say how many there were and it didn't let me record the series.

Burney
10-30-2017, 03:43 PM
That's what actually makes it hard, b. I had basic German before I got here (GCSE) but it's difficult to talk to then in their own language. Even had incidents with the police - who you would think for legal reasons would have to speak in German but once thery know you are English ...

I did A-Level German and only GCSE French. However, due to their respective attitudes to speaking English (and the fact that I've holidayed regularly in France, while only visiting Germany on business), my French is now much better than my German.

That said, visiting Rostock a month or so ago did mean I had to dust off the German more frequently. Clearly die Ossis are not quite as well-versed in English as the westerners.

Burney
10-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Is it bad? I recorded the first two, but it didn't say how many there were and it didn't let me record the series.

It's just very plodding. Whoever wrote it seems to think that all you need to do to create historical drama is to recount the events in sequence. :-(

barrybueno
10-30-2017, 03:46 PM

How strange to celebrate a very mediocre pop group LA, those crazy Germans eh?

Peter
10-30-2017, 03:47 PM

How did you come to be sexually assaulted, b? Is this something we should dedicate some time towards?

THis sounds very serious indeed.....

Burney
10-30-2017, 03:47 PM
How strange to celebrate a very mediocre pop group LA, those crazy Germans eh?

:nod: You'd Never Ever catch us doing that, bb.

Burney
10-30-2017, 03:49 PM
How did you come to be sexually assaulted, b? Is this something we should dedicate some time towards?

THis sounds very serious indeed.....

A moustachioed gentleman grabbed my gentleman's area whilst polka dancing with me, p.

Sadly, it wasn't Kevin Spacey or anyone famous, so I don't think I'll get any compo out of it. :-(

Peter
10-30-2017, 03:53 PM
A moustachioed gentleman grabbed my gentleman's area whilst polka dancing with me, p.

Sadly, it wasn't Kevin Spacey or anyone famous, so I don't think I'll get any compo out of it. :-(

And how did claiming to be a ***** help? Couldn't you have simply given him a solid right hander?

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 03:57 PM
I did A-Level German and only GCSE French. However, due to their respective attitudes to speaking English (and the fact that I've holidayed regularly in France, while only visiting Germany on business), my French is now much better than my German.

That said, visiting Rostock a month or so ago did mean I had to dust off the German more frequently. Clearly die Ossis are not quite as well-versed in English as the westerners.

I did French for 8 years - still when I am searching for a word the French one comes to mind first. It is just beautiful language to speak though - utterly useless (outside France) but much nicer than German. I work with several Ossis so I know what you mean.

Ash
10-30-2017, 03:58 PM
And how did claiming to be a ***** help? Couldn't you have simply given him a solid right hander?

Perhaps the fella had Ben Stokes looking after him.

Burney

My vocab may have become a little confused due to drink and panic, p. While trying to explain to him that I liked girls, I may have actually said I liked 'girls'. :-(

And there was no question of striking the poor chap. It was an honest misunderstanding probably brought about by the language barrier and I may well have been unconsciously leading the fellow on. If anything, i felt quite guilty about it - albeit not guilty enough to suck him off, obviously.

Ash
I did French for 8 years - still when I am searching for a word the French one comes to mind first. It is just beautiful language to speak though - utterly useless (outside France) but much nicer than German. I work with several Ossis so I know what you mean.

I've used it to talk to Italians.

barrybueno
10-30-2017, 04:03 PM
:nod: You'd Never Ever catch us doing that, bb.

hehe, bit embarrassed I actually got that tbh

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:04 PM

In fairness, it's also handy in the shíttier parts of Africa, I imagine.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:05 PM

It's useful in bits of Africa, though.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:10 PM

:nod: Indispensable when holidaying in the Central African Republic, I'm told.

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 04:11 PM

It's quite useful in parts of Switzerland and Belgium - ****ed if I am going there though

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:11 PM
:nod: Indispensable when holidaying in the Central African Republic, I'm told.

I was thinking more of Morocco, Tunisia, that sort of vibe.

Rwanda, also.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:17 PM

Rwanda, also.

Yeah. I'm not going to any of those places either, though.

Rich
10-30-2017, 04:18 PM

Rwanda, also.

My South African brothers aren't interested in all that nonsense :cloud9:

Wd Yarpies.

Ash
10-30-2017, 04:19 PM

Rwanda, also.

Côte d'Ivoire.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:19 PM

Wd Yarpies.

No. Although white farmers are getting murdered at a fairly worrying rate there, though.

Ho-hum.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:33 PM

Wd Yarpies.

Yes, but no **** in his right mind wants to go to South Africa.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Côte d'Ivoire.

I've criminally neglected west Africa, a. One day I shall have to address that.

Rich
10-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Yes, but no **** in his right mind wants to go to South Africa.

Have you been walking in the Draks, Sir C? I would suggest not having read that comment which I found to be quite disrespectful, at best.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Have you been walking in the Draks, Sir C? I would suggest not having read that comment which I found to be quite disrespectful, at best.

Is one a bit less likely to get robbed, raped, murdered and AIDSed there, then?

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:54 PM

I'd rather barbecue my own bóllocks with a blowtorch.