PDA

View Full Version : I have now commenced being thrifty. any tips?

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 11:19 AM
the following purchases will be eliminated

Cigarettes, energy drinks/coffees, I will drink the free **** at work,
bring my own lunch.
I have purchased my food shopping in bulk.

If only I can scam away to get to work for free. Cycling is a little bit too far and would involve dangerous routes and initial expense.

I plan to live as cheap as possible next year. no holidays, no guitars, pay some bills. I need to build up cash for my big year of 2019.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 11:22 AM

bring my own lunch.

If only I can scam away to get to work for free. Cycling is a little bit too far and would involve dangerous routes and initial expense.

I plan to live as cheap as possible next year. no holidays, no guitars, pay some bills. I need to build up cash for my big year of 2019.

By not drinking 3 nights a week I'm saving around £60 per week. Added to the £175 saving on cigarettes, that's a total of £12,240 per year.

Fúcking hell, can that be right?

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 11:23 AM
By not drinking 3 nights a week I'm saving around £60 per week. Added to the £175 saving on cigarettes, that's a total of £12,240 per year.

Well when I stopped smoking proper a while back I used to buy a packet a day before stopping. I never seemed to be any better off.

Think of what you could do with that 12k Sir C. You'd be saving so much you can start drinking and smoking again.

Peter
10-30-2017, 11:29 AM

Must have saved a couple of grand a month by giving up the sniff?

Burney
10-30-2017, 11:35 AM

I'm starting to envisage Sir C's evenings these days and it's making me a bit sad. :-(

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 12:39 PM
I'm starting to envisage Sir C's evenings these days and it's making me a bit sad. :-(

He dresses up as Alastair Sim - that would be cool

Sir C
10-30-2017, 12:49 PM

True enough; probably more like £700 a month, I reckon. That's another £8,400 a year. I'm rich, rich I tell you!

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 12:52 PM
True enough; probably more like £700 a month, I reckon. That's another £8,400 a year. I'm rich, rich I tell you!

That's how I am trying to look at things.
Instead of if I could make an extra '£20 here' look at it the otherway and reduce £20 from my spending.

Peter
10-30-2017, 01:20 PM

Lightweight!

PSRB
10-30-2017, 01:21 PM

bring my own lunch.

Given up on lottery tickets and going to try and stop smoking....again

Ash
10-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Given up on lottery tickets and going to try and stop smoking....again

I was thinking of taking up lottery tickets.

Can you vape them?

World's End Stella
10-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Yes, stop it.

Being healthy is good within limits, of course. But saving money for the sake of it is silly.

Money isn't worth anything until you spend it, as they say. :nod:

Ash
10-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Yes, stop it.

Being healthy is good within limits, of course. But saving money for the sake of it is silly.

Ah, but those of us who aren't working for the thieving pirates that call themselves the financial sector need to scrimp and save to afford somewhere decent to live, you see.

As for being healthy - we have seen evidence that living too healthily can clearly lead to people being so smug and self-satisfied that they start sniffing their own farts.

World's End Stella
10-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Ah, but those of us who aren't working for the thieving pirates that call themselves the financial sector need to scrimp and save to afford somewhere decent to live, you see.

As for being healthy - we have seen evidence that living too healthily can clearly lead to people being so smug and self-satisfied that they start sniffing their own farts.

That isn't - by my definition - being thrifty. That is living within ones means, perfectly acceptable.

Being thrifty/tight/mean to me is saving money for the sake of it even though you don't have to. My brother-in-law, as an example. Horrible tight tw@t who is more than happy to steam into my wine and food but would never invite someone over and who is always last to the bar when we go down the pub at Xmas. This despite he and his wife both being well employed in the architecture sector with no children to pay for.

He's from Yorkshire, you see.

Pokster
10-30-2017, 02:05 PM
That isn't - by my definition - being thrifty. That is living within ones means, perfectly acceptable.

Being thrifty/tight/mean to me is saving money for the sake of it even though you don't have to. My brother-in-law, as an example. Horrible tight tw@t who is more than happy to steam into my wine and food but would never invite someone over and who is always last to the bar when we go down the pub at Xmas. This despite he and his wife both being well employed in the architecture sector with no children to pay for.

So he is sensible with money... and knows a soft touch when he sees one.. shrood imo

Sir C
10-30-2017, 02:10 PM

I've spent a lifetime being profligate. Now that I've decided to get off the treadmill, I'm as tight as a duck's árse. For example, I've just booked flights with Vietnam Airways because they were £1,000 cheaper than BA. £1,000 each. That's £2,000 for the retirement fund.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-30-2017, 02:12 PM
I've spent a lifetime being profligate. Now that I've decided to get off the treadmill, I'm as tight as a duck's árse. For example, I've just booked flights with Vietnam Airways because they were £1,000 cheaper than BA. £1,000 each. That's £2,000 for the retirement fund.

And with Vietnam Airways they bring the kids to you shortly after take-off so you can get noncing straight away :nod:

Sir C
10-30-2017, 02:14 PM
And with Vietnam Airways they bring the kids to you shortly after take-off so you can get noncing straight away :nod:

It's a 787 and a flat bed, so it's hard to complain, but the food and the service won't be as good as BA :-(

Burney
10-30-2017, 02:17 PM
It's a 787 and a flat bed, so it's hard to complain, but the food and the service won't be as good as BA :-(

It's a commie airline. :-( You're basically Jane Fonda.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 02:19 PM

:hehe: There are few things on earth less commie than Vietnam these days, tbh.

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Phwooooooooar

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-30-2017, 02:29 PM
. . . . . . .

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-30-2017, 02:30 PM

Blagged my way into Business for a Qatar Airways flight to Oz when I had to go out and say goodbye to my old fella.

I'd been assured by a know-nought that there would be no alcohol served on the flight.

As I settled into the comfort of the seat/bed contraption the stewardess asked if needed anything and I said "well a scotch would be nice but I understand you don't serve booze"...."We can serve whisky 10 minutes after take off" she assured me "but til then I can only offer champagne I'm afraid".

I reluctantly accepted the champers

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-30-2017, 02:31 PM
Phwooooooooar

Difficult to tell her apart from Henry these days L

Sir C
10-30-2017, 02:31 PM
Blagged my way into Business for a Qatar Airways flight to Oz when I had to go out and say goodbye to my old fella.

I'd been assured by a know-nought that there would be no alcohol served on the flight.

As I settled into the comfort of the seat/bed contraption the stewardess asked if needed anything and I said "well a scotch would be nice but I understand you don't serve booze"...."We can serve whisky 10 minutes after take off" she assured me "but til then I can only offer champagne I'm afraid".

I reluctantly accepted the champers

There's no way you'd get me on one of those middle eastern airlines, h.

Burney
10-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Phwooooooooar

Here she is goofing around (in a slightly racist way) with people who are actively trying to kill her fellow Americans.

I still don’t really get how she pretty much got away with that. :shakehead:

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Yes, stop it.

I am looking at it differently. Rather than struggle all the time (i'm not actually struggling that much)
a year of being a tight arse will mean I can be a lot more comfortable and have less stress later.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-30-2017, 02:40 PM

If you were offered Business for less that the cost of Economy you'd scuttle on board like a cockroach under torchlight c

Sir C
10-30-2017, 02:43 PM
If you were offered Business for less that the cost of Economy you'd scuttle on board like a cockroach under torchlight c

Nonsense. I would stand by my principles and pay for Business with a decent christian airline. Or buddhist, I don't mind buddhist airlines.

World's End Stella
10-30-2017, 03:44 PM

All run by foreigners and they are the best airlines out there.

Air Emirates is easily the best airline I have ever flown and business class on the A380s is quite astonishing.

Just upgraded all four of us on our way back from the UAE. Worth every penny. Oh yes. :nod:

Burney
10-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Air Emirates is easily the best airline I have ever flown and business class on the A380s is quite astonishing.

Just upgraded all four of us on our way back from the UAE. Worth every penny. Oh yes. :nod:

:rolleyes: If you love vulgar, oil-rich Wahhabi muslim autocracies with appalling human rights records so much, why don't you just marry one?

Sir C
10-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Right. So you get in your business class seat at Heathrow, enjoy your meal and a movie, feel a little snoozy, put on your jim jams, convert the seat into a bed and... oh look, it's time to land in some desert hovel to get on your next flight. But no matter, you get on board, have a nice meal and watch some old episodes of Mr Bean, pop your jim jams on and prepare for a snooze.

Oh. You're almost at Singapore.

What a waste of a good bed.

Peter
10-30-2017, 03:51 PM

Emirates are indeed an outstanding airline. Even the economy on the A380 is bearable, although they have recently nicked an inch of legroom in their newest configuration. The business class is outstanding.

BA is arguably the worst national carrier in the world- certainly for economy class. THe PRemium isn't bad.

Peter
10-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Right. So you get in your business class seat at Heathrow, enjoy your meal and a movie, feel a little snoozy, put on your jim jams, convert the seat into a bed and... oh look, it's time to land in some desert hovel to get on your next flight. But no matter, you get on board, have a nice meal and watch some old episodes of Mr Bean, pop your jim jams on and prepare for a snooze.

Oh. You're almost at Singapore.

What a waste of a good bed.

THe Emirates Lounge at Dubai is hardly a hovel. Everyone sleeps on the second flight.....

Burney
10-30-2017, 03:54 PM
THe Emirates Lounge at Dubai is hardly a hovel. Everyone sleeps on the second flight.....

To be fair, any layover at all is a cünt. I just want to get on a plane and stay there until it gets me where I need to be.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 03:56 PM

Dubai is a shíthole as well you know. Being in an airline lounge doesn't alter the fact that you're in a shíthole, having been dragged from the cosy nest you made at Heathrow. Now you're going to have to make a new nest, aren't you?

I just don't understand it. If you were driving to Birmingham, would you choose to go via Luton, chnage to a different car, and then continue? If you were getting a train to Glasgow, would you choose a train going direct, or would you choose to change at Newark, sitting in the waiting room on platform 3 for 3 hours? If so, why?

Sir C
10-30-2017, 03:58 PM
To be fair, any layover at all is a cünt. I just want to get on a plane and stay there until it gets me where I need to be.

Wait, apparently the glamour of an airline lounge makes it all worthwhile. :rolleyes:

Sir C
10-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Emirates are indeed an outstanding airline. Even the economy on the A380 is bearable, although they have recently nicked an inch of legroom in their newest configuration. The business class is outstanding.

BA is arguably the worst national carrier in the world- certainly for economy class. THe PRemium isn't bad.

BA is far, far from perfect, but to describe it as 'arguably the worst national carrier in the world' in the face of competition from Aeroflot, Garuda and whichever is supposed to be the US flag carrier is bizarre.

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 04:01 PM
BA is far, far from perfect, but to describe it as 'arguably the worst national carrier in the world' in the face of competition from Aeroflot, Garuda and whichever is supposed to be the US flag carrier is bizarre.

You didn't even mention Aer Lingus :hehe:

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 04:04 PM

It's weird I've flown United, Delta, American lots of times and it always seems to be different.
I flew on a 787 with United this time and it wasn't very nice. The seats wouldn't go back and those new dimming windows suck as it never goes completely dark so you have light shining. Poor entertainment choices too. and the seats/table were dirty.

American :-( basic,

Delta, bit better, at least they gave me those hot towel things when we got on.

Peter
10-30-2017, 04:05 PM
Dubai is a shíthole as well you know. Being in an airline lounge doesn't alter the fact that you're in a shíthole, having been dragged from the cosy nest you made at Heathrow. Now you're going to have to make a new nest, aren't you?

I just don't understand it. If you were driving to Birmingham, would you choose to go via Luton, chnage to a different car, and then continue? If you were getting a train to Glasgow, would you choose a train going direct, or would you choose to change at Newark, sitting in the waiting room on platform 3 for 3 hours? If so, why?

Clearly, if you are travelling business class it is a toss up. In economy, the break in a 13/14 hour flight is quite welcome, particularly when the alternative is to sit uninterrupted in a BA seat designed for people with no legs.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:07 PM

American airlines mystify me. Here is a nation that prides itself on customer service, comfort and insincere sliminess, but is apparently incapable of running an airline that doesn't make you feel like you're being transported to a death camp and giving you the impression that the cabin crew fiercely resent your presence on their aeroplane. It's bizarre.

Peter
10-30-2017, 04:08 PM

I suppose you have a point. It is quite rare for BA to beat up their own customers, although their economy seat is not a million miles away from a slow form of torture.

I do accept their Premium Economy and Business class is quite good. THeir economy really is utterly awful though, with some of their fleet providing the worst legroom of all major airlines.

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 04:09 PM
American airlines mystify me. Here is a nation that prides itself on customer service, comfort and insincere sliminess, but is apparently incapable of running an airline that doesn't make you feel like you're being transported to a death camp and giving you the impression that the cabin crew fiercely resent your presence on their aeroplane. It's bizarre.

:hehe: The fella on the plane that I was on was some throwback to the past.
'what can I get for you guy?'

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:10 PM
I suppose you have a point. It is quite rare for BA to beat up their own customers, although their economy seat is not a million miles away from a slow form of torture.

I do accept their Premium Economy and Business class is quite good. THeir economy really is utterly awful though, with some of their fleet providing the worst legroom of all major airlines.

Well, if you're choosing to fly in economy it's self-inflicted and I shall offer you no further sympathy.

Peter
10-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Well, if you're choosing to fly in economy it's self-inflicted and I shall offer you no further sympathy.

I'm not really choosing it, it is a company decision. Nevertheless, the comparison in product between BA and the airlines you wouldn't touch with a barge pole still stands.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:14 PM
:hehe: The fella on the plane that I was on was some throwback to the past.
'what can I get for you guy?'

Some cheapskate company once made me fly US Airways - they were fücking awful. Mind you, I subsequently discovered that AA, Delta and United were even worse. I remember someone booking me to fly over on Virgin instead and I almost cried with gratitude.

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 04:14 PM

I will never waste money on flying different classes.
I suspect whatever class I fly it will be a horrible experience.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:16 PM

Once you've flown business you'll never go back, f. It's an expensive habit, sadly, but the difference (on a long haul flight) is absolute.

It changes a pain in the árse experience into a pleasure.

Ash
10-30-2017, 04:17 PM

Reading this thread just convinces me that if I ever have to fly long distance again I will probably be leaving the vehicle in handcuffs. :-(

There is nothing at the end of a long flight that is worth taking a long flight for imo.

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Once you've flown business you'll never go back, f. It's an expensive habit, sadly, but the difference (on a long haul flight) is absolute.

way beyond my sort of money sadly.
I won't scrimp on hotels though. a **** hotel can ruin a trip.

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Reading this thread just convinces me that if I ever have to fly long distance again I will probably be leaving the vehicle in handcuffs. :-(

There is nothing at the end of a long flight that is worth taking a long flight for imo.

The Ashes, a

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:21 PM
The Ashes, a

That is something for which I'm really quite grateful to Sky, actually. Their coverage has removed any possible need for me ever to have to travel to Australia.

Peter
10-30-2017, 04:22 PM

If only economy was just a pain in the arse. Its actually a pain in the arse, neck, back, legs, feet, shoulders.....

Peter
10-30-2017, 04:24 PM

And you criticised me for describing Enfield Town as a ****hole. You have just written off three quarters of the globe as not being worth getting on a plane :D

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 04:25 PM
If only economy was just a pain in the arse. Its actually a pain in the arse, neck, back, legs, feet, shoulders.....

I also dislike blocks of 3 seats. nobody travels in a 3.
You can't win seat wise. if you sit by the window going to the pisser is a pain. sit in the aisle someone will wake you up wanting to go to the toilet or will knock into you as they walk past.

I dislike people on planes who sort of dither around standing about. or dash to the bogs before landing.
I often won't use the toilet at all.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:25 PM

The Wonders of the Orient? The plains of the Serengeti? Rainforest, coral reefs, the snow-capped Himalayas? The organutan, the jaguar, the ostrich? Snacking in a Bangkok night market, watching the Arsenal game in a bar in Kigali, dancing in a New Delhi nightclub? Watching the sun set over the Andaman sea? Afternoon tea at Raffles, a stengah at the E&O, dinner at the Forodhani Gardens?

If I couldn't travel my soul would turn to dust :-(

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:26 PM
And you criticised me for describing Enfield Town as a ****hole. You have just written off three quarters of the globe as not being worth getting on a plane :D

Aircraft. Aeroplane. Either works.

Ash
That is something for which I'm really quite grateful to Sky, actually. Their coverage has removed any possible need for me ever to have to travel to Australia.

And now BT have it. :-(

We're going to have Robbie Savage and Michael Owen on commentary. I say "We". I don't have BT but I'm now wondering why I still have Sky.

Pat Vegas
The Wonders of the Orient? The plains of the Serengeti? Rainforest, coral reefs, the snow-capped Himalayas? The organutan, the jaguar, the ostrich? Snacking in a Bangkok night market, watching the Arsenal game in a bar in Kigali, dancing in a New Delhi nightclub? Watching the sun set over the Andaman sea? Afternoon tea at Raffles, a stengah at the E&O, dinner at the Forodhani Gardens?

Having an McDonalds on Kalakaua Avenue?
or was it Kuhio avenue?

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:27 PM
I also dislike blocks of 3 seats. nobody travels in a 3.
You can't win seat wise. if you sit by the window going to the pisser is a pain. sit in the aisle someone will wake you up wanting to go to the toilet or will knock into you as they walk past.

I dislike people on planes who sort of dither around standing about. or dash to the bogs before landing.
I often won't use the toilet at all.

The aisle is clearly best, f. The middle seat is clearly the worst. If you've a strong bladder, the window seat's OK. It also gives you somewhere to rest your head when sleeping.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:28 PM

Dancing? I thought you didn't dance?

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Having an McDonalds on Kalakaua Avenue?
or was it Kuhio avenue?

It was Kalaka'aua Avenue, wd f! Isn't it Princess Kalaka'aua Avenue? It was that trip that really turned me on to travelling. My eyes were opened to a world of possibilities, like McDonalds serving fantastic roast beef sandwiches.

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 04:29 PM
The aisle is clearly best, f. The middle seat is clearly the worst. If you've a strong bladder, the window seat's OK. It also gives you somewhere to rest your head when sleeping.

I like the window. I get annoyed before I even have sat down. with that blanket and pillow on my seat. So instantly I have objects I don't want in my limited space.

Burney
And now BT have it. :-(

We're going to have Robbie Savage and Michael Owen on commentary. I say "We". I don't have BT but I'm now wondering why I still have Sky.

Oh, yes. And a bird's commentating on it. I remember now.

I'm getting so old I can't even remember what I got outraged about last week anymore. :old:

Peter

I will be returning to Penang and the E&O in January. Cant wait....

Ash
10-30-2017, 04:30 PM

I have seen pyramids and temples in the jungle of Guatemala while tripping on acid. An utterly incredible experience.

And completely ruined by the flight there and back.

Burney
I like the window. I get annoyed before I even have sat down. with that blanket and pillow on my seat. So instantly I have objects I don't want in my limited space.

The blankets aren't clean, f. I won't touch 'em. :-(

Peter
Aircraft. Aeroplane. Either works.

I find most planes work, although the old 777s are knocking on a bit these days.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Dancing? I thought you didn't dance?

I did, back in the day. I pushed out ace bangra moves until 4 a.m. in a club in Delhi one night until, noticing that the atmosphere had changed somewhat at the alcohol took proper hold, I said to the massive Sikh next to me, "I shouldn't really be here, should I? I'm going to get stabbed, aren't I/ I should leave, shouldn't I?" And he replied with utmost gravity, "Very wise, sir."

Peter

I have to get up regularly to get some feeling back in the legs and get the movement back in my dodgy knee. Aisle seat is the only option.

A middle seat on a long haul flight is grounds for immediate suicide as far as I am concerned.

Ash

There's a good Minster and mill complex in Halifax, tbf.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:32 PM
There's a good Minster and mill complex in Halifax, tbf.

:-( But, but... the world, a! :-(

Pat Vegas
10-30-2017, 04:33 PM
The blankets aren't clean, f. I won't touch 'em. :-(

I usually sling them somewhere.

Burney
I did, back in the day. I pushed out ace bangra moves until 4 a.m. in a club in Delhi one night until, noticing that the atmosphere had changed somewhat at the alcohol took proper hold, I said to the massive Sikh next to me, "I shouldn't really be here, should I? I'm going to get stabbed, aren't I/ I should leave, shouldn't I?" And he replied with utmost gravity, "Very wise, sir."

They probably thought you were taking the pîss. As a white man dancing to bhangra, it's sort of hard not to look like you're taking the pîss imo. Partly because you probably are - at least partially.

Peter
I have seen pyramids and temples in the jungle of Guatemala while tripping on acid. An utterly incredible experience.

And completely ruined by the flight there and back.

It only really bothers me when I am doing it all the time. I do hate it, but its something you just have to endure. Give me an aisle seat and leave the **** alone and I can cope. When people start ****ing with me they are just asking for trouble, particularly if I am into 6 or 7 hours without a fag.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:35 PM
I have to get up regularly to get some feeling back in the legs and get the movement back in my dodgy knee. Aisle seat is the only option.

A middle seat on a long haul flight is grounds for immediate suicide as far as I am concerned.

The window seat also gives you great power for annoying people if you decide to shut it in order to sleep or stop light irritating you. People who haven't opted for a window seat seem to think its their right to look out of YOUR window. Cheeky cünts.

World's End Stella
10-30-2017, 04:35 PM
:rolleyes: If you love vulgar, oil-rich Wahhabi muslim autocracies with appalling human rights records so much, why don't you just marry one?

You think the UAE is a Wahhabi autocracy? :hehe:

You really haven't visited it, have you?

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:36 PM
It only really bothers me when I am doing it all the time. I do hate it, but its something you just have to endure. Give me an aisle seat and leave the **** alone and I can cope. When people start ****ing with me they are just asking for trouble, particularly if I am into 6 or 7 hours without a fag.

The really depressing thing about flying regularly is calculating how much time you have wasted hanging around in fücking airports. The closer the reaper's blade gets to me, the more I resent this.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:37 PM
They probably thought you were taking the pîss. As a white man dancing to bhangra, it's sort of hard not to look like you're taking the pîss imo. Partly because you probably are - at least partially.

You weren't there, man.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:39 PM
You weren't there, man.

Were you doing the wobbly head thing? :-(

World's End Stella
10-30-2017, 04:39 PM

And they've just upgraded it, depending on when you last saw it.

Their champagne bar there was most excellent. Lots of vintage champage, some Michelin star level nibbles to tide you over until you get on the flight.

Quite marvelous.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Were you doing the wobbly head thing? :-(

No, of course I wasn't.

Maybe a little.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:42 PM
You think the UAE is a Wahhabi autocracy? :hehe:

You really haven't visited it, have you?

Well most Emiratis are Wahabbis and it's definitely an autocracy, so...yes.

Peter
10-30-2017, 04:43 PM
The really depressing thing about flying regularly is calculating how much time you have wasted hanging around in fücking airports. The closer the reaper's blade gets to me, the more I resent this.

They can be soul destroying. There have been several times I have spent 3 or 4 hours sitting in the lounge at Dubai, on my way home from a long and hellish week of work. Alone, exhausted, aching, and nursing a nasty lager, 12 hours into your journey and still 12 hours from home, I will admit I have been close to tears on a number of occasions.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:44 PM
No, of course I wasn't.

Maybe a little.

Yeah. To be fair, if you'd got a bit stabbed, you'd probably have deserved it.

Peter
10-30-2017, 04:44 PM
And they've just upgraded it, depending on when you last saw it.

Their champagne bar there was most excellent. Lots of vintage champage, some Michelin star level nibbles to tide you over until you get on the flight.

Quite marvelous.

Which part of the terminal? The A gates one is excellent, the B gates lounge has been pretty ****e for years.

THe smoking bar in the A gates lounge is wonderfully comfortable.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:46 PM
They can be soul destroying. There have been several times I have spent 3 or 4 hours sitting in the lounge at Dubai, on my way home from a long and hellish week of work. Alone, exhausted, aching, and nursing a nasty lager, 12 hours into your journey and still 12 hours from home, I will admit I have been close to tears on a number of occasions.

:nod: I remember waiting for a flight at fück o'clock in the morning from Changhi where the booze wasn't even making a dent and I was finding the stupid little river they have running through the airport really fücking irritating. And - if I can say this without sounding racist (hint: I probably can't) I was really sick of being surrounded by chinesers.

I was at a low ebb.

World's End Stella
10-30-2017, 04:52 PM
Well most Emiratis are Wahabbis and it's definitely an autocracy, so...yes.

You think the people in the UAE lead their lives according to Wahhabism in a way similar to, as an example, Saudi does?

That would be the UAE where women work, drive, walk around uncovered and where almost a third of the members of parliament are women?

:hehe:

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:52 PM
Yeah. To be fair, if you'd got a bit stabbed, you'd probably have deserved it.

That seems harsh.

World's End Stella
10-30-2017, 04:53 PM
Which part of the terminal? The A gates one is excellent, the B gates lounge has been pretty ****e for years.

THe smoking bar in the A gates lounge is wonderfully comfortable.

Think it was the B gates, and it was excellent. New since the last time I used it. I'm there again next week as I travel - sadly - to India.

:-( God help me

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:53 PM
That seems harsh.

:shrug: I'm very tough on cultural appropriation these days.

Peter
10-30-2017, 04:56 PM
:nod: I remember waiting for a flight at fück o'clock in the morning from Changhi where the booze wasn't even making a dent and I was finding the stupid little river they have running through the airport really fücking irritating. And - if I can say this without sounding racist (hint: I probably can't) I was really sick of being surrounded by chinesers.

I was at a low ebb.

It can be incredibly lonely while at the same time there is a tremendous hatred for the fact that you are surrounded by people with no privacy.

I always take a shower in the lounge, just to give my poor aching feet a soak. And just to sit in the shower room on my own for a while. It helps, but I still feel like killing someone.

Sir C

I was at a low ebb.

Changi's depressing because it's the ultimate expression of what is, in effect Nazi, efficiency. :-(

Peter
Think it was the B gates, and it was excellent. New since the last time I used it. I'm there again next week as I travel - sadly - to India.

Indians, as lovely as they may be, have no ****ing idea how to behave on an aeroplane. They become almost feral.

Burney
10-30-2017, 04:57 PM
You think the people in the UAE lead their lives according to Wahhabism in a way similar to, as an example, Saudi does?

That would be the UAE where women work, drive, walk around uncovered and where almost a third of the members of parliament are women?

:hehe:

OK, but it IS Wahabbi and it IS an autocracy. So my point stands.

Flogging for adultery and stoning are legal there. Homosexuality is punishable by death.

Being the most liberal gulf oil state is very much the equivalent of boasting about being the world's tallest dwarf.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:58 PM

:hehe: I'm so praying for you to get the full-on Gandhi's revenge... :toilet:

Peter
10-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Changi's depressing because it's the ultimate expression of what is, in effect Nazi, efficiency. :-(

Still, there is a fairly pleasant roof garden smoking area. That takes up a cosy five minutes or so.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Still, there is a fairly pleasant roof garden smoking area. That takes up a cosy five minutes or so.

It's always rammed with loud Australians, in my experience. Mind you, it's nice that there's a bar.

Burney
10-30-2017, 05:00 PM

Yeah. It's also crawling with fücking Australians, which doesn't help.

The river was really bothering me for some reason. I think the simulacrum of nature only served to emphasise the ersatz sterility of the whole place and the unreal, unsettling nature of the whole experience of commercial air travel.

World's End Stella
10-30-2017, 05:01 PM
:hehe: I'm so praying for you to get the full-on Gandhi's revenge... :toilet:

Oh have no fear about that, Charles.

it's nailed on. :-(

Burney
10-30-2017, 05:02 PM
It's always rammed with loud Australians, in my experience. Mind you, it's nice that there's a bar.

The word 'loud' is redundant there.

Peter
10-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Yeah. It's also crawling with fücking Australians, which doesn't help.

The river was really bothering me for some reason. I think the simulacrum of nature only served to emphasise the ersatz sterility of the whole place and the unreal, unsettling nature of the whole experience of commercial air travel.

He signs for the smoking areas are more than a little baffling. You can end up walking round in circles.

World's End Stella
10-30-2017, 05:04 PM
OK, but it IS Wahabbi and it IS an autocracy. So my point stands.

Flogging for adultery and stoning are legal there. Homosexuality is punishable by death.

Being the most liberal gulf oil state is very much the equivalent of boasting about being the world's tallest dwarf.

Some truth to that but it's an overstatement, it isn't that bad from what I've seen.

Interesting side note, you know how the BBC always called ISIS, the Islamic State but virtually never uses 'Daesh'? Almost like they don't want to offend them.

In the papers in the UAE they are almost exclusively referred to as Daesh. I always find it fascinating reading their newspapers, most illuminating. Before I steam into the lagers and mojitos at the swim up bar, of course.

UAE :cloud9:

Sir C
10-30-2017, 05:06 PM
He signs for the smoking areas are more than a little baffling. You can end up walking round in circles.

I was there extremely late one night when there was nothing open serving food except a Burger King, and the offerings in the lounge had been on display for many hours.

I went hungry :-(

Sir C
10-30-2017, 05:06 PM
The word 'loud' is redundant there.

They also infest the Long Bar at Raffles :-(

PSRB
10-30-2017, 05:20 PM

Pity it'll be on BT Sport this time round