PDA

View Full Version : Talking of celebratory dinner wrongness.....

Burney
10-30-2017, 10:29 AM
:rubchin: :shrug:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5028457/Bake-star-Nadiya-Hussain-shares-Christmas-tips.html

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 10:33 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5028457/Bake-star-Nadiya-Hussain-shares-Christmas-tips.html
I like to think I am a fairly tolerant person, b, but if can't have pigs in blankets what is the ****ing point of living

Sir C
10-30-2017, 10:34 AM

Cultural appropriation much?

Burney
10-30-2017, 10:39 AM
I like to think I am a fairly tolerant person, b, but if can't have pigs in blankets what is the ****ing point of living

Well quite. Pork and booze are pretty fücking central to Christmas. Ham, ps-in-bs, bacon on the turkey, lard to cook the roast potatoes, sausage meat in the stuffing. And as for drink, you're basically drinking from breakfast time onwards - and that's without all the booze in the trifle, Christmas pudding, mince pies, etc.

Muslim Christmas would - and I can say this without fear of contradiction - be fùcking wánk. :-(

Burney
10-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Cultural appropriation much?

More pressingly, can we not even trust The Daily Mail to resist the tide of islamic cultural imperialism? :-(

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Well quite. Pork and booze are pretty fücking central to Christmas. Ham, ps-in-bs, bacon on the turkey, lard to cook the roast potatoes, sausage meat in the stuffing. And as for drink, you're basically drinking from breakfast time onwards - and that's without all the booze in the trifle, Christmas pudding, mince pies, etc.

Muslim Christmas would - and I can say this without fear of contradiction - be fùcking wánk. :-(
Indeed. Christ I am hungry now though. Haven't had a proper roast for ages - last Christmas in fact. Alcohol not so much of a problem

Sir C
10-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Indeed. Christ I am hungry now though. Haven't had a proper roast for ages - last Christmas in fact. Alcohol not so much of a problem

Surely you can buy a chicken there, la, or a rib of beef? And lard must be available, Christ on a bike there must be gallons of rendered pork fat produced in Munich every day.

Burney
10-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Surely you can buy a chicken there, la, or a rib of beef? And lard must be available, Christ on a bike there must be gallons of rendered pork fat produced in Munich every day.

Rostbraten happens there, surely?

Luis Anaconda
10-30-2017, 10:56 AM
But I would have to fly my mother or one of my sisters over to cook it. That's the complicated bit

Sir C
10-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Rostbraten happens there, surely?

Yes, but it's a bit foreign, isn't it? It's not a decent English roast.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 11:00 AM
But I would have to fly my mother or one of my sisters over to cook it. That's the complicated bit

I am sure that a renaissance man such as yourself is well capable of knocking up a roast dinner, la.

Pokster
10-30-2017, 11:03 AM

And your mum's quite busy being roasted herself

Burney
10-30-2017, 11:04 AM
Yes, but it's a bit foreign, isn't it? It's not a decent English roast.

No. The Germans also have a very unfortunate habit of sometimes simply presenting one with a huge and frankly off-putting lump of mea, which is antithetical to the roast.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 11:08 AM
No. The Germans also have a very unfortunate habit of sometimes simply presenting one with a huge and frankly off-putting lump of mea, which is antithetical to the roast.

You find the Schweinshaxe 'off-putting'? It's nothing to do with a roast, granted, but it is a magnificent other thing entirely.

Indeed, a 'haxe with sauerkraut and Kartoffelsalat might be one of the finest lunches available in mainland Europe.

Burney
10-30-2017, 11:12 AM
You find the Schweinshaxe 'off-putting'? It's nothing to do with a roast, granted, but it is a magnificent other thing entirely.

Indeed, a 'haxe with sauerkraut and Kartoffelsalat might be one of the finest lunches available in mainland Europe.

it is undeniably an unsettling-looking thing, I think. And, when all's said and done, it's just an unadorned lump of pork. One has to be in the right mood to grapple with it.

Rich
10-30-2017, 11:13 AM

I'm going 1 x beef and 1 x duck this year. Re: the beef - what should I be asking my butcher for?

Burney
10-30-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm going 1 x beef and 1 x duck this year. Re: the beef - what should I be asking my butcher for?

A chined rib, obviously.

1 duck won't go around many people.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 11:15 AM

You want a rib of beef. A minimum of 4 bones. :cloud9:

However, I would advise defenestrating the duck and replacing it with God's own honest goose.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 11:17 AM
A chined rib, obviously.

1 duck won't go around many people.

Oh I wouldn't chine it. The crispy tendony bits on the bones are the perfect chef's treat whilst carving.

Rich
10-30-2017, 11:21 AM
You want a rib of beef. A minimum of 4 bones. :cloud9:

However, I would advise defenestrating the duck and replacing it with God's own honest goose.

Can I comfortably feed five with 4 bones of rib? Not really sure how much meat comes on a beef rib, to be honest.

Burney
10-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Oh I wouldn't chine it. The crispy tendony bits on the bones are the perfect chef's treat whilst carving.

Purely for ease of carving whilst not going full homo and having it rolled, really.

Otherwise, there comes a point with rib of beef where you find yourself hacking at the damn thing, I find - particularly if doing it for a lot of people.

Sir C
10-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Can I comfortably feed five with 4 bones of rib? Not really sure how much meat comes on a beef rib, to be honest.

A 4 bone rib will feed 8 common people or 4 bon viveurs.