PDA

View Full Version : Things I like abroad better than here. #121131

Pat Vegas
10-26-2017, 09:19 AM
supermarket*

discuss

excludes Iceland where I went to a supermarket called bonus and it was awful.

Sir C
10-26-2017, 09:23 AM
supermarket*

discuss

Supermarkets in France vary in quality so much, you never know what you're going to get. And I don't mean by brand, I mean by location. For example, the Intermarché in Uzes is magnificent, whilst the branch in Calais is repulsive.

In Holland there's only really one option, Albert Heijn, and they're just dull.

No. I think we do supermarkets rather well.

Pat Vegas
10-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Supermarkets in France vary in quality so much, you never know what you're going to get. And I don't mean by brand, I mean by location. For example, the Intermarché in Uzes is magnificent, whilst the branch in Calais is repulsive.

In Holland there's only really one option, Albert Heijn, and they're just dull.

No. I think we do supermarkets rather well.

Carrefour I like, I like a lot of the Italian wons.
Ralphs in LA was top notch and Trader Joes was good, in Canada the Loblaws in Toronto was the best supermarket I have ever seen.

Perhaps coming back from holiday and having to go to Morrisons as it's closest put me in this mood.
But as other choices go Tescos and sainsburys, Asda I am not fond of, Waitrose is good but there isn't a big won near me.

Sir C
10-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Carrefour I like, I like a lot of the Italian wons.
Ralphs in LA was top notch and Trader Joes was good, in Canada the Loblaws in Toronto was the best supermarket I have ever seen.

Perhaps coming back from holiday and having to go to Morrisons as it's closest put me in this mood.
But as other choices go Tescos and sainsburys, Asda I am not fond of, Waitrose is good but there isn't a big won near me.

Get yourself oop norf and check out Booth's, f. I'd go to Booth's for a day out, just to wander the aisles in wonder.

Burney
10-26-2017, 09:36 AM
supermarket*

discuss

I like some things about their supermarkets, such as better fish counters and the availability of foreign stuff. However, I greatly dislike the French thing of having to weigh and label one's own vegetables. What the fück is that all about? Also, the staff are surly.

Pat Vegas
10-26-2017, 09:38 AM
I like some things about their supermarkets, such as better fish counters and the availability of foreign stuff. However, I greatly dislike the French thing of having to weigh and label one's own vegetables. What the fück is that all about? Also, the staff are surly.

I also think it seems like if you go there later in the day they seem to still have stuff available.
whereas if I go somewhere here in the evening all the good stuff is gone.

I think they close the deli counter at morrisons near me at 18:30pm ridiclues. the store closes at 10

Luis Anaconda
10-26-2017, 09:49 AM
supermarket*

Jesus - you don't know you are born. What I would give for a Waitrose or M&S Food place here - even a Sainsbury's or Tescos would be great. Try living in a country where everything closes at 8pm and nothing opens on Sundays. And if something sells out, it is never replaced because why would they like popular stuff in the store. My local Edeka - which is about the size of Sainsbury's in Angel (if that is still there) hasn't had any Coke in it for a week now

Sir C
10-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Jesus - you don't know you are born. What I would give for a Waitrose or M&S Food place here - even a Sainsbury's or Tescos would be great. Try living in a country where everything closes at 8pm and nothing opens on Sundays. And if something sells out, it is never replaced because why would they like popular stuff in the store. My local Edeka - which is about the size of Sainsbury's in Angel (if that is still there) hasn't had any Coke in it for a week now

What the hell would you be wanting with Coke?

Luis Anaconda
10-26-2017, 09:54 AM

Man cannot live on beer alone

Sir C
10-26-2017, 09:59 AM

You put rum in it, don't you?

Pat Vegas
10-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Do they do that thing over there where people rip open multipacks and just buy one :furious:

I like the different shaped cans in Italy. and in Austria I found 500ml cans :cloud9:

Pat Vegas
10-26-2017, 10:03 AM

you can't beat the feeling/real thing.

Best drink in the world.

SWv2
10-26-2017, 10:11 AM
supermarket*

discuss

There is a fantastic supermarket on Green Lanes, Sainsbury by the old Haringey bridge.

Structurally sound, magnificently constructed, will be there in 100s of years. Wd the builders and all involved.

Pat Vegas
10-26-2017, 10:13 AM
There is a fantastic supermarket on Green Lanes, Sainsbury by the old Haringey bridge.

Structurally sound, magnificently constructed, will be there in 100s of years. Wd the builders and all involved.

Terrible place to get to traffic wise and a ridiculously busy mcdonalds drive thru.

I avoid driving down Green Lanes unless it's late at night

Ash
10-26-2017, 11:23 AM

Very useful place to nip in for a wee when walking down Green Lanes.

Ash
10-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Do they do that thing over there where people rip open multipacks and just buy one :furious:

The thing that gets me is when people start EATING the food in their trolleys before they've paid for it! Eg baguettes, grapes that hadn't been weighed. :furious:

My French ex used to do that.

SWv2
10-26-2017, 11:34 AM

All my hours of sweat and toil and all you can do is pish against the wall.

:shout:

Btw having read Arseblog earlier today it put me in mind of your own match summation yesterday. Essentially and very much an occasion where you had to be there.

Read a thing on him last night in The Guardian, Amy Lawrence I think. All a bit mad after one game but there is modern football.

Wd EN.

Ash
10-26-2017, 11:34 AM

I've been aware in the past that the ze myth of cherman efficiency doesn't always apply to the retail sector (late takeup of technology) but I find that very odd. Is it an EPOS/stock failling or a logistical one, do you think? They're too busy making motor vehicles to actually drive stuff around in them?

Pat Vegas
10-26-2017, 11:40 AM

I was thinking about an app for people to share public toilet info for those who like walking. Yes Walking not wa nking
Though it's probably already done.
whilst away I walked over 100miles in 2 weeks and finding a pisser isn't always the easiest thing.
hotels are always good (most of the time) I am never worried to stroll in and use the facilities. worst case pretend to be on the phone.

Luis Anaconda
10-26-2017, 11:40 AM

I like the different shaped cans in Italy. and in Austria I found 500ml cans :cloud9:

Oh yes - all the time. 500kml cans were my favourite. It does taste much better in a can

Luis Anaconda
10-26-2017, 11:45 AM
I've been aware in the past that the ze myth of cherman efficiency doesn't always apply to the retail sector (late takeup of technology) but I find that very odd. Is it an EPOS/stock failling or a logistical one, do you think? They're too busy making motor vehicles to actually drive stuff around in them?

I think it is down to individual managers and their competence tbh - my local one was particularly bad for that. But that's another thing - I may have mentioned this before - a brand new supermarket built near me and they DIDN'T PUT IN SELF-SERVICE TILLS.

Luis Anaconda
10-26-2017, 11:45 AM
You put rum in it, don't you?
Of course - one wouldn't waste good whisk(e)y

World's End Stella
10-26-2017, 11:59 AM
supermarket*

discuss

Canada does them better, Pat. The variety on offer and quality of many things is quite astonishing.

SWv2
10-26-2017, 12:03 PM
I was thinking about an app for people to share public toilet info for those who like walking. Yes Walking not wa nking
whilst away I walked over 100miles in 2 weeks and finding a pisser isn't always the easiest thing.
hotels are always good (most of the time) I am never worried to stroll in and use the facilities. worst case pretend to be on the phone.

All a bit George Michael no?

Pat Vegas
10-26-2017, 12:07 PM
The loblaws that’s in maple leaf gardens is amazing.
I like sobeys too

Burney
10-26-2017, 12:38 PM

No, it’s because krauts are quite extraordinarily mean, but on price alone and will happily put up with crappy service, decor and layout as long as it’s cheap.

redgunamo
10-26-2017, 12:46 PM

**** all wrong with George Michael, imo.

Except that he's dead, I suppose, but you know what I mean.

Ash
10-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Not any more, mate. They've got grindr for that.

Ash
10-26-2017, 12:51 PM

Actually, him being dead is the worst thing about him. The little patch of grass in Highgate by The Flask, Ray Davies's house and Kate Moss's house is now a permenant shrine to the auld bugger and it's a bleedin mess with scruffy flags, messages, dead flowers and so on. And tourists everywhere, of course.

redgunamo
10-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Actually, him being dead is the worst thing about him. The little patch of grass in Highgate by The Flask, Ray Davies's house and Kate Moss's house is now a permenant shrine to the auld bugger and it's a bleedin mess with scruffy flags, messages, dead flowers and so on. And tourists everywhere, of course.

Why there? He's from my manor, up Henley way. Goring, I think.

SWv2
10-26-2017, 12:57 PM

Decent singer for sure.

I watched Freedom last week. Meh.

Peter
10-26-2017, 12:58 PM

My Sainsbury's never has coke. I have to go and see a guy in Wood Green if I want some.

Ash
10-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Yeah, pissr.

Supermarkets, shopping malls, department stores, petrol stations (polite to buy something), museums, art galleries, parks. The swimming pool on the Cally Road came to the rescue once. Realistically I'm sure if you were desperate and walked into a pub and slapped 50p on the bar they'd let you use the loo. Or 30p if you wanted to haggle.

Sir C
10-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Yeah, pissr.

Supermarkets, shopping malls, department stores, petrol stations (polite to buy something), museums, art galleries, parks. The swimming pool on the Cally Road came to the rescue once. Realistically I'm sure if you were desperate and walked into a pub and slapped 50p on the bar they'd let you use the loo. Or 30p if you wanted to haggle.

Roundabouts. Big ones with bushes in the middle. Ideal. (No purchase required.)

Peter
10-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Yeah, pissr.

Just piss in the street. You're a bloke.

Ash
10-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Why there? He's from my manor, up Henley way. Goring, I think.

Not on the Northern Line though, is it? It's not where you come from but where you end up, I think.

Sir C

Are you imposing a gender on xe?

SWv2
Yeah, pissr.

Walk in, look around as if you are looking for your friend that you have arranged to meet, make your way to the jacks and pish. Leave.

Save your 30p.

Ash
10-26-2017, 01:06 PM

My companion isn't.

Pat Vegas
10-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Yeah, pissr.

I will never come up with an original idea :cry:
ever

a boring life of mediocrity ahead.

Ash
10-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Walk in, look around as if you are looking for your friend that you have arranged to meet, make your way to the jacks and pish. Leave.

Save your 30p.

:nod: I've done that. Of course in a large, busy pub no subterfuge is necessary.

redgunamo
10-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Not on the Northern Line though, is it? It's not where you come from but where you end up, I think.

Right, of course. He lived, and died, in Goring.

World's End Stella
All my hours of sweat and toil and all you can do is pish against the wall.

:shout:

Btw having read Arseblog earlier today it put me in mind of your own match summation yesterday. Essentially and very much an occasion where you had to be there.

Read a thing on him last night in The Guardian, Amy Lawrence I think. All a bit mad after one game but there is modern football.

Wd EN.

Speaking of female football writers - Alyson Rudd?

Yay or nay?

I reckon Winter, Holt, Kay, Samuel etc all lust after her desperately at away games. Lined up outside her hotel room door in hope, that sort of thing.

Peter
My companion isn't.

So this is a women's issue? I might have bloody known it.....

redgunamo
10-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Decent singer for sure.

I watched Freedom last week. Meh.

Must admit I rather lost interest when his band broke up. Got all their LPs though. Genius, was George.

Luis Anaconda
10-26-2017, 01:54 PM
Speaking of female football writers - Alyson Rudd?

Yay or nay?

I reckon Winter, Holt, Kay, Samuel etc all lust after her desperately at away games. Lined up outside her hotel room door in hope, that sort of thing.
Nay - not as a football writer not as a person. And I think you overplay the glamorous nature of a football writer a bit too much. Rudd never goes (or very rarely) goes to a game outside the M25 so she's always home quickly after a game. Similarly, except for European away games I doubt the four you mention spend much time in hotels either

World's End Stella
10-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Nay - not as a football writer not as a person. And I think you overplay the glamorous nature of a football writer a bit too much. Rudd never goes (or very rarely) goes to a game outside the M25 so she's always home quickly after a game. Similarly, except for European away games I doubt the four you mention spend much time in hotels either

Well, that's that fantasy nicely dealt with then :-(