PDA

View Full Version : Hang on. So the Thais have basically kept their King's body frozen for a year before

Burney
10-26-2017, 08:38 AM
cremating him? :-( That's bloody weird. What did they used to do before refrigeration?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/26/thai-king-funeral-crowds-gather-to-farewell-father-of-the-nation

Sir C
10-26-2017, 08:43 AM
cremating him? :-( That's bloody weird. What did they used to do before refrigeration?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/26/thai-king-funeral-crowds-gather-to-farewell-father-of-the-nation

Yes, a year's mourning prior to cremation is traditional, apparently. One assumes they would previously have embalmed the body.

I'm rather looking forward to seeing the new king's antics. He really is quite a character.

Burney
10-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Yes, a year's mourning prior to cremation is traditional, apparently. One assumes they would previously have embalmed the body.

I'm rather looking forward to seeing the new king's antics. He really is quite a character.

Yes...a 'character'. Mind you, since you can be jailed for 30 years by the generals for criticising the freak, you'd probably best not say anything while you're out there.

Sir C
10-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Yes...a 'character'. Mind you, since you can be jailed for 30 years by the generals for criticising the freak, you'd probably best not say anything while you're out there.

Thailand's strict lese majesté laws are nothing to do with the generals. It's been the same forever, even during those periods of democracy which occasionally engulf the LOS.

Burney
10-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Thailand's strict lese majesté laws are nothing to do with the generals. It's been the same forever, even during those periods of democracy which occasionally engulf the LOS.

Yes, but from what I read, the generals seem particularly keen on increasing sentences.

Sir C
10-26-2017, 09:02 AM
Yes, but from what I read, the generals seem particularly keen on increasing sentences.

That's only because they know he isn't going to be anywhere near as popular as his father, and as the monarchy is the unifying factor which stops Thailand descending into absolute chaos, they can't afford to allow any groundswell of criticism to begin to take hold or gather momentum. It's irrelevant really as it's always been the case that any disrespect towards the royal family would land you in deep, deep doodoo. When I fiurst started going in the early 90s there was a story going around, possibly apocryphal but certainly feasible, that a Nigerian tourist had been arrested for stepping on a run away bank note and thereby applying his foot to a portrait of the King, and that since Nigeria had no competent legal consular facilities, he had spent several mnths in jail. :hehe:

Burney
10-26-2017, 09:12 AM
That's only because they know he isn't going to be anywhere near as popular as his father, and as the monarchy is the unifying factor which stops Thailand descending into absolute chaos, they can't afford to allow any groundswell of criticism to begin to take hold or gather momentum. It's irrelevant really as it's always been the case that any disrespect towards the royal family would land you in deep, deep doodoo. When I fiurst started going in the early 90s there was a story going around, possibly apocryphal but certainly feasible, that a Nigerian tourist had been arrested for stepping on a run away bank note and thereby applying his foot to a portrait of the King, and that since Nigeria had no competent legal consular facilities, he had spent several mnths in jail. :hehe:

For people who seem all smiley and nice, they do seem to be quite keen on heavy-handed authoritarianism, I must say.

Sir C
10-26-2017, 09:16 AM
For people who seem all smiley and nice, they do seem to be quite keen on heavy-handed authoritarianism, I must say.

Yes. The banner that greeted you at the old Don Muang airport which spelt out, in letters 10 feet high, 'The Penalty For Drugs Is Death' rather focussed the mind. On the other hand, there really are very few rules - or very few that are enforced, anyway. It must be about the most free and laid back society one can imagine.

redgunamo
10-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Yes. The banner that greeted you at the old Don Muang airport which spelt out, in letters 10 feet high, 'The Penalty For Drugs Is Death' rather focussed the mind. On the other hand, there really are very few rules - or very few that are enforced, anyway. It must be about the most free and laid back society one can imagine.

Yes, I gather people tend to leave you alone there too, a man can mind his own business and keep himself to himself? An old colleague of mine has been openly hiding out there in plain view, between jobs of work, for almost twenty years.

Sir C
10-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Yes, I gather people tend to leave you alone there too, a man can mind his own business and keep himself to himself? An old colleague of mine has been openly hiding out there in plain view, between jobs of work, for almost twenty years.

Yes, as long as a farang pops over the border to Malaysia to renew his visa every 12 months, no one cares what he does.

Burney
10-26-2017, 10:29 AM

It must have caused the odd hairy moment over the years as you suddenly become paranoid that you've carelessly left a wrap in your wallet, I imagine.

redgunamo
10-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Yes, as long as a farang pops over the border to Malaysia to renew his visa every 12 months, no one cares what he does.

That makes sense. Although, he is of the sort that doesn't so much forget who he really is as occasionally remembers who he really is. If you follow me. It's a kind of madness basically, albeit an invaluable one.

Burney
10-26-2017, 10:33 AM
That makes sense. Although, he is of the sort that doesn't so much forget who he really is as occasionally remembers who he really is. If you follow me. It's a kind of madness basically, albeit an invaluable one.

Is your friend Jason Bourne? :rubchin:

Sir C
10-26-2017, 10:37 AM

Erm. Right. Thanks.

Sir C
10-26-2017, 10:40 AM
It must have caused the odd hairy moment over the years as you suddenly become paranoid that you've carelessly left a wrap in your wallet, I imagine.

Yes. It was also a bit hairy on occasion in the 90s when customs officers were paid a bounty for catching smugglers, and so took to secreting wraps within your luggage whilst dong a 'random' search...

redgunamo
10-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Is your friend Jason Bourne? :rubchin:

That's the point; he could be anyone.

Burney
10-26-2017, 10:45 AM
That's the point; he could be anyone.

Gosh. Sounds to me like he's best off on the other side of the world, really.

redgunamo
10-26-2017, 11:08 AM
Gosh. Sounds to me like he's best off on the other side of the world, really.

Oh, most certainly. Otherwise he'd have long been sent to the chair. Or worsen even, and I don't think he deserves any of that.