PDA

View Full Version : To Cadogan Hall to see Richard Thompson.

Sir C
10-23-2017, 11:45 AM
I know precisely one Richard Thompson song.

There is going to be fretwánking, isn't there?

SWv2
10-23-2017, 11:52 AM

I had never heard of the chap before about 2-3 weeks ago when it was recommended to me to listen to one of his acoustic classic albums.

I wish you a good evening.

:-\

Sir C
10-23-2017, 11:53 AM
I had never heard of the chap before about 2-3 weeks ago when it was recommended to me to listen to one of his acoustic classic albums.

I wish you a good evening.

:-\

Really? I mean, he's like famous and everything sw. He was in Fairport Convention, for Christ's sake!

SWv2
10-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Really? I mean, he's like famous and everything sw. He was in Fairport Convention, for Christ's sake!

Fair enough, just not the path I follow.

I am not a fan of FC so unlikely I will know the individual members.

I recommend The Family Silver to you as a musical nod. Go on. :nod:

Sir C
10-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Fair enough, just not the path I follow.

I am not a fan of FC so unlikely I will know the individual members.

I recommend The Family Silver to you as a musical nod. Go on. :nod:

Has this got something to do with Paul Weller?

SWv2
10-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Has this got something to do with Paul Weller?

No.

Kind of.

Burney
10-23-2017, 12:03 PM

I’m rather keen, as you know. You’re going with r, aren’t you?

Do bear in mind that Thompson is an Allan these days - albeit a Sufi one.

Sir C
10-23-2017, 12:06 PM
I’m rather keen, as you know. You’re going with r, aren’t you?

Do bear in mind that Thompson is an Allan these days - albeit a Sufi one.

Yes, it is her christmas or birthday present apparently. I know nothing of these matters, as you know.

I like the one about the motorbicycle. That's nice.

It would be good if that Sandy Denny Lane joined him on stage, it would be a sort of Faces/Fairport Convention reunion. Although the dead thing makes it seem unlikely.

Dinner at Café Colbert. That's the bit I'm looking forward to. They do an excellent steak tartare and a rather marvellous choucroute.

Burney
10-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Yes, it is her christmas or birthday present apparently. I know nothing of these matters, as you know.

I like the one about the motorbicycle. That's nice.

It would be good if that Sandy Denny Lane joined him on stage, it would be a sort of Faces/Fairport Convention reunion. Although the dead thing makes it seem unlikely.

Dinner at Café Colbert. That's the bit I'm looking forward to. They do an excellent steak tartare and a rather marvellous choucroute.

Yes, she told me about it when we met last week. Sounds jolly. He does a good line in break-up songs also. He does wear rather a silly hat, though :-/

I wish you joy of the evening.

Sir C
10-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Yes, she told me about it when we met last week. Sounds jolly. He does a good line in break-up songs also. He does wear rather a silly hat, though :-/

I wish you joy of the evening.

You are kind. I shall drink no more than two glasses of wine.

Burney
10-23-2017, 12:14 PM
You are kind. I shall drink no more than two glasses of wine.

Are you driving?

Sir C
10-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Are you driving?

No, I shall take the rattler. Public transport in London is so convenient, don't you find?

Burney
10-23-2017, 12:20 PM
No, I shall take the rattler. Public transport in London is so convenient, don't you find?

Not really. It’s a bit smelly.

More convenience than convenient.

Sir C
10-23-2017, 12:23 PM

I like to think of it as an authentic experience. I am, as it were, keeping it real, like a backpacker taking the local bus from Don Muang to Khao San Road, before eating chocolate and banana pancakes and watching Jean-Claude van Damme movies.

Ash
10-23-2017, 12:25 PM

More convenience than convenient.

Smelly? Trains are bland, relatively clean and practically sterile compared to in the 70's. Back then you had public transport smells with proper character. :nod:

Apart from smears from greasy hair on the windows of buses. That never goes out of style. :-(

Sir C
10-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Smelly? Trains are bland, relatively clean and practically sterile compared to in the 70's. Back then you had public transport smells with proper character. :nod:

Apart from smears from greasy hair on the windows of buses. That never goes out of style. :-(

Ah, a, you know about these things. Am I allowed to use my vaping device on the train?

Burney
10-23-2017, 12:31 PM

I find that Southern trains in particular have a lingering stench of BO. Very distressing.

Burney
10-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Ah, a, you know about these things. Am I allowed to use my vaping device on the train?

Strictly speaking, no, but apparently you I’d you hold the vapour in long enough and don’t exhale great clouds of it, nobody cares. This even works on planes, apparently.

Ash
10-23-2017, 12:35 PM

I've no idea, I'm afraid. Not being a vapour the issue has not arisen. I'd say check the signage in the carriage for guidance on this matter. :thumbup:

SWv2
10-23-2017, 12:39 PM
I've no idea, I'm afraid. Not being a vapour the issue has not arisen. I'd say check the signage in the carriage for guidance on this matter. :thumbup:

Well one is not smoking so can't see the legal issue here.

Ash
10-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Well one is not smoking so can't see the legal issue here.

Perhaps, but if someone is offended by it then pearls will get clutched.

SWv2
10-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Perhaps, but if someone is offended by it then pearls will get clutched.

You can’t live your life based on fear of insulting another, especially not in this current / modern day nanny state we all inhabit.

Smoking is illegal on a train, Dutch is not planning to smoke. He will vape, he cares not what a soft gay jessy it makes him look. He is doing no wrong.

In fact if he is arrested and charged then I will offer to represent him and further will waive my fee save for expenses which I will charge back upon victory.

Sir C
10-23-2017, 12:49 PM
You can’t live your life based on fear of insulting another, especially not in this current / modern day nanny state we all inhabit.

Smoking is illegal on a train, Dutch is not planning to smoke. He will vape, he cares not what a soft gay jessy it makes him look. He is doing no wrong.

In fact if he is arrested and charged then I will offer to represent him and further will waive my fee save for expenses which I will charge back upon victory.

Of course you have hit upon the nub of the matter here, sw; viz, there is no way to look like Jimmy Dean whilst vaping. Some **** surely can invent an e-gigarette that looks like a cigarette?

Burney
10-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Of course you have hit upon the nub of the matter here, sw; viz, there is no way to look like Jimmy Dean whilst vaping. Some **** surely can invent an e-gigarette that looks like a cigarette?

As I understand it, they're not really supposed to make ones that look like cigarettes. I can't see the problem with making ones that look like Meerschaum pipes, though.

SWv2
10-23-2017, 12:55 PM

Bit like standing in a bar drinking Barbican while pretending you are a real man?

Sir C
10-23-2017, 12:55 PM
As I understand it, they're not really supposed to make ones that look like cigarettes. I can't see the problem with making ones that look like Meerschaum pipes, though.

Yes, that would be the other option. Or, I suppose, you could make it like a tumescent phallus; this would be an aid to potential quitters who might, after a while, find it tiresome sucking on a jap's eye.

Sir C
10-23-2017, 12:56 PM
Bit like standing in a bar drinking Barbican while pretending you are a real man?

A real man is defined by neither cigarettes nor alcohol, sw, but by the compassion and love in his heart.

So that's you fúcked.

Burney
10-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Yes, that would be the other option. Or, I suppose, you could make it like a tumescent phallus; this would be an aid to potential quitters who might, after a while, find it tiresome sucking on a jap's eye.

What about the gays and the ladies, though? They may greatly enjoy sucking on a huge, artificial Johnson.

Frankly, I can't believe you've been so non-inclusive of sexual minorities like homos and birds. :-(

Sir C
10-23-2017, 01:01 PM
What about the gays and the ladies, though? They may greatly enjoy sucking on a huge, artificial Johnson.

Frankly, I can't believe you've been so non-inclusive of sexual minorities like homos and birds you've been. :-(

:-( I need to engage in self-criticism. A lot of self-criticism.

SWv2
10-23-2017, 01:09 PM
A real man is defined by neither cigarettes nor alcohol, sw, but by the compassion and love in his heart.

So that's you fúcked.

Real men drive diesel cars.

Motoring fact.

Pokster
10-23-2017, 01:24 PM

Frankly, I can't believe you've been so non-inclusive of sexual minorities like homos and birds you've been. :-(

I think Sir C is fighting his sexuality by being so negative.... we all know he is as Bent as a bent thing that is exceedingly bendy