PDA

View Full Version : Now Myleene Klass has got in on the Harvey Weinstein act.

Burney
10-13-2017, 08:47 AM
Say what you like about him, but you can't fault his work ethic when it comes to sleazery.

PSRB
10-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Say what you like about him, but you can't fault his work ethic when it comes to sleazery.

One does wonder how he met his wife......

Burney
10-13-2017, 08:52 AM
One does wonder how he met his wife......

True, actually. Did he pull the old 'I'm in my dressing gown, whoops, there's my penïs' trick with her as well?

Sir C
10-13-2017, 08:56 AM

He touched my winkle once, you know.

When does my cheque arrive?

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:01 AM

If you got nothing for Rolf Harris, you'll get nowt for Harvey Weinstein imo.

Also, it annoys me that his name is pronounced 'Wine-Steen'. It should clearly be 'Vine-Stine' (or Wine-Stine' at a pinch). Wine-Steen would be spelt 'Weinstien', surely?

That's how I was always taught 'ei' and 'i.e.' were pronounced, anyway. Our German teacher - wise fellow that he was - taught us to remember it by remembering the using the spelling and pronunciation of 'Sieg Heil'.

Sir C
10-13-2017, 09:05 AM
If you got nothing for Rolf Harris, you'll get nowt for Harvey Weinstein imo.

Also, it annoys me that his name is pronounced 'Wine-Steen'. It should clearly be 'Vine-Stine' (or Wine-Stine' at a pinch). Wine-Steen would be spelt 'Weinstien', surely?

That's how I was always taught 'ei' and 'i.e.' were pronounced, anyway. Our German teacher - wise fellow that he was - taught us to remember it by remembering the using the spelling and pronunciation of 'Sieg Heil'.

Rolf didn't do anything, though. Bar encouraging me to blow his didgeridoo, as it were.

All correct, of course, but remember that we are dealing with the Yanqui here; childlike in his ignorance and far too arrogant to know it.

SWv2
10-13-2017, 09:09 AM

Those old men who ask other men to touch their pénis.

That's you that is.

:bow:

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:11 AM
Rolf didn't do anything, though. Bar encouraging me to blow his didgeridoo, as it were.

All correct, of course, but remember that we are dealing with the Yanqui here; childlike in his ignorance and far too arrogant to know it.

Yes. No excuse for mispronouncing one's own surname, imo.

Pokster
10-13-2017, 09:17 AM

I only earned my now step dads respe4ct when I learnt to pronouce my Mrs surname YAHIAOUI

PSRB
10-13-2017, 09:18 AM
I only earned my now step dads respe4ct when I learnt to pronouce my Mrs surname YAHIAOUI

I still get people telling me I'm pronouncing the in-laws surname wrong.....not the in-laws, I might add

Ash
10-13-2017, 09:19 AM

My grandmother couldn't pronounce her surname. Poor thing shouldn't have married the great grandson of a kraut.

As for Johnny Septic, well. Eye-rack and all that.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-13-2017, 09:20 AM

winkle at the time, and you were forty four years of age, may diminish your chances of a successful claim c.

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:20 AM

Yah-He-Ya-Wee?

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:22 AM
My grandmother couldn't pronounce her surname. Poor thing shouldn't have married the great grandson of a kraut.

As for Johnny Septic, well. Eye-rack and all that.

I still maintain that nothing could be more annoying than their random use of French pronunciation of things like Herbs and Fillet.

SWv2
10-13-2017, 09:22 AM
I still get people telling me I'm pronouncing the in-laws surname wrong.....not the in-laws, I might add

Hard to go wrong with Jags surely.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-13-2017, 09:23 AM
this was bothering me too b and you are quite correct.

Also, you don't suppose this fellow is jewish by any, chance do you?

PSRB
10-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Hard to go wrong with Jags surely.

Yags - technically :-)

Ash
10-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Can't imagine why you might have thought that, Herbs.

http://academic.depauw.edu/aevans_web/HONR101-02/WebPages/Fall2009/Paul/SFSP/704_img_09.jpg

Ash
10-13-2017, 09:29 AM

You married God?

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:30 AM

I fear as much, h. I fear as much.

Here he is up to his old tricks in Der Sturmer, in fact.

Pokster
10-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Yah-He-Ya-Wee?

Yay-You-Wee

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:31 AM
You married God?

Well technically, if that had been the case and he'd pronounced that name, he'd have been stoned to death.

Pokster
10-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Well technically, if that had been the case and he'd pronounced that name, he'd have been stoned to death.

Stonings too good for me

Sir C
10-13-2017, 09:33 AM

This witch hunt is clearly being driven by the rabid anti-semitism of the left.

Bill Clinton gets a pass, while the jew is burnt at the stake.

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:41 AM

Yes. Mind you, it might have helped if the Jew in question hadn't been behaving like something Julius Streicher came up with in a particularly fevered wet dream.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-13-2017, 09:43 AM
I fear as much, h. I fear as much.

Here he is up to his old tricks in Der Sturmer, in fact.

Having never previously made it past page three of any Dickens novel, I recently managed, and thoroughly enjoyed, Oliver Twist. The palpable distaste for jewish folk in that book though - oy!

Sir C
10-13-2017, 09:43 AM
Yes. Mind you, it might have helped if the Jew in question hadn't been behaving like something Julius Streicher came up with in a particularly fevered wet dream.

'Alleged' to have been behaving.

This fashion for trial by mob is more than a little disturbing. I'd definietly be changing my job if I were a paediatrician.

Sir C
10-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Having never previously made it past page three of any Dickens novel, I recently managed, and thoroughly enjoyed, Oliver Twist. The palpable distaste for jewish folk in that book though - oy!

Blimey, of all the ones to manage to finish, that would be right at the bottom of the list.

Great Expectorations, that's the daddy. And Pickwick Papers is quite amusing.

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Oddly enough, Dickens considered himself a friend of the Jews and was supposedly horrified that his representation of Fagin might be construed as anti-semitic. Which suggests to me he was taking the píss, because I'm not really sure how you could miss that.

He even had the fella hung at the end for reasons no-one can really make out, ffs!

Ash
10-13-2017, 09:49 AM

Weren't you arguing the other day that he was merely conducting mutually beneficial transactions?

Sir C
10-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Oddly enough, Dickens considered himself a friend of the Jews and was supposedly horrified that his representation of Fagin might be construed as anti-semitic. Which suggests to me he was taking the píss, because I'm not really sure how you could miss that.

He even had the fella hung at the end for reasons no-one can really make out, ffs!

Hanged, even. Unless you're talking about the size of his cóck.

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:51 AM
'Alleged' to have been behaving.

This fashion for trial by mob is more than a little disturbing. I'd definietly be changing my job if I were a paediatrician.

To be fair, I don't think Bill Clinton has been convicted of anything either.

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Hanged, even. Unless you're talking about the size of his cóck.

I like the sound of 'hung' better.

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Weren't you arguing the other day that he was merely conducting mutually beneficial transactions?

In cases where it was 'shag me and you get the part', he was. Less so if he was raping and molesting people, however.

Ash

If, as one theory has it, this is being driven by Steve Bannon, then Bill Clinton would also be on the list.

Please, God. Make it happen.

Monty92
To be fair, I don't think Bill Clinton has been convicted of anything either.

It is quite incredible that the accusations of rape are being treated in the same moral context as the accusations of sexual harassment.

It remains eminently possible that the guy - while almost certainly a horrible, self-entitled sexual creep - has done absolutely nothing criminally wrong.

Sir C
10-13-2017, 09:54 AM

I like the sound of 'moist' better than 'pulchritudinous', but if I confuse the two, my prose will no longer accurately express my meaning; which is, surely, the purpose of language?

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:57 AM
I like the sound of 'moist' better than 'pulchritudinous', but if I confuse the two, my prose will no longer accurately express my meaning; which is, surely, the purpose of language?

Ah, but 'hung' is easily understood from context, so serves perfectly well.

Sir C
10-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Ah, but 'hung' is easily understood from context, so serves perfectly well.

Not at all. I was confused as to why he had been set upon a hook and allowed to decay until his tail feathers dropped out and his meat was tender - after all, who would eat a jew? After some research, I found out that he had been executed at the gibbet, but your imprecise use of language cost me a good 10 minutes of my life.

Burney
10-13-2017, 09:59 AM
It is quite incredible that the accusations of rape are being treated in the same moral context as the accusations of sexual harassment.

It remains eminently possible that the guy - while almost certainly a horrible, self-entitled sexual creep - has done absolutely nothing criminally wrong.

As I said the other day, I think a lot of women who've happily benefitted from the casting couch are now using this furore to frame themselves as victims - or indeed to mask their activities by claiming he propositioned them but they refused.

Otherwise, you'd have to say that he had a very poor strike rate, wouldn't you?

Burney
10-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Not at all. I was confused as to why he had been set upon a hook and allowed to decay until his tail feathers dropped out and his meat was tender - after all, who would eat a jew? After some research, I found out that he had been executed at the gibbet, but your imprecise use of language cost me a good 10 minutes of my life.

You are clearly in a captious frame of mind this morning. What ails thee?

Sir C
10-13-2017, 10:05 AM
You are clearly in a captious frame of mind this morning. What ails thee?

Not at all, I am simply in Bantmeister General mood.

Actually, I'm in a pretty decent mood as I will be booking our January trip today :cloud9:

Ash
10-13-2017, 10:06 AM
In cases where it was 'shag me and you get the part', he was.

Still corruption, though. A bribe to secure a contract is a mutually beneficial transaction, but if that becomes the norm in business (eg you have to do it to get the deal) and politics you get a corrupt society.

Monty92
10-13-2017, 10:07 AM
As I said the other day, I think a lot of women who've happily benefitted from the casting couch are now using this furore to frame themselves as victims - or indeed to mask their activities by claiming he propositioned them but they refused.

Take this quote from Kate Beckinsdale:

"I was called to meet Harvey Weinstein at the Savoy Hotel when I was 17. When I arrived, reception told me to go to his room. He opened the door in his bathrobe. I was incredibly naive and young and it did not cross my mind that this older, unattractive man would expect me to have any sexual interest in him. After declining alcohol and announcing that I had school in the morning I left, uneasy but unscathed. A few years later he asked me if he had tried anything with me in that first meeting. I realized he couldn't remember if he had assaulted me or not."

The way she phrases this makes it sound as if Weinstein has only ever assaulted women, and could never have simply coerced them into concensual sex. Maybe he just couldn't remember if he'd fúcked her or not? :shrug:

Burney
10-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Not at all, I am simply in Bantmeister General mood.

Actually, I'm in a pretty decent mood as I will be booking our January trip today :cloud9:

Oh, good. Where this time?

Still going well with the vaping. No pangs for the coffin nails?

Burney
10-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Still corruption, though. A bribe to secure a contract is a mutually beneficial transaction, but if that becomes the norm in business (eg you have to do it to get the deal) and politics you get a corrupt society.

Sure, but both sides are equally complicit.

Burney
10-13-2017, 10:11 AM

"I was called to meet Harvey Weinstein at the Savoy Hotel when I was 17. When I arrived, reception told me to go to his room. He opened the door in his bathrobe. I was incredibly naive and young and it did not cross my mind that this older, unattractive man would expect me to have any sexual interest in him. After declining alcohol and announcing that I had school in the morning I left, uneasy but unscathed. A few years later he asked me if he had tried anything with me in that first meeting. I realized he couldn't remember if he had assaulted me or not."

The way she phrases this makes it sound as if Weinstein has only ever assaulted women, and could never have simply coerced them into concensual sex. Maybe he just couldn't remember if he'd fúcked her or not? :shrug:

Well that quote is a classic example of condemnation by suggestion. He's actually done nothing in that anecdote at all that is illegal as far as I'm aware. Creepy, sure, but not illegal or even particularly sleazy.

Pokster
10-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Well that quote is a classic example of condemnation by suggestion. He's actually done nothing in that anecdote at all that is illegal as far as I'm aware. Creepy, sure, but not illegal or even particularly sleazy.

Well if you were a powerful producer and asked for a meeting with a young actress who is only 17, and at this meeting in his hotel room he is only weraing a bathrobe... i would find that sleazy.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-13-2017, 10:19 AM

Top wriggling b ;-)

Sir C
10-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Well if you were a powerful producer and asked for a meeting with a young actress who is only 17, and at this meeting in his hotel room he is only weraing a bathrobe... i would find that sleazy.

You're as obsessed with dressing gowns as wes. What the hell is wrong with you dressing gown fundamentalists?

He might have had pyjamas underneath. Or pants. :shrug:

Burney
10-13-2017, 10:20 AM

It's creepy, certainly, but as far as we can see he didn't even put a move on her. The worst we can say is that he offered a 17 year-old a drink - and that's hardly Jimmy Savile behaviour, is it?

The point is that this type of story is supposed to damn by insinuation despite having no substance to it.

PSRB
10-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Sure, but both sides are equally complicit.

This is the point that seems to being missed. So far, it seems as though it's consensual, they might not have wanted to do it but they certainly didn't have to do it.

Luis Anaconda
It's creepy, certainly, but as far as we can see he didn't even put a move on her. The worst we can say is that he offered a 17 year-old a drink - and that's hardly Jimmy Savile behaviour, is it?

The point is that this type of story is supposed to damn by insinuation despite having no substance to it.

Hang on - are you saying Jimmy Savile was guilty even though he was never given a trial ;)

Pokster

I believe the numbers of women coming forward and the fact he has admitted consensual sex shows how sleazy the whole thing was... it is a little bit like the Paul Sampson case, you are in a position of power and can offer "advantages" to the women if they shag you, that is an abuse of power.

Hardly new in hollywood, I would be shocked if there aren't an awful large of Producers/Directors now very nervous

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-13-2017, 10:24 AM
It was having all the faces pre-imagined for me by the musical.

I must say I was quite shocked by the visceral brutality of Nancy's murder. Expected the violence to be alluded to rather than so vivid.

Luis Anaconda
10-13-2017, 10:26 AM

I think it is very difficult to form an opinion on this without a picture of a 17-year-old Kate Beckinsale, possibly in her school uniform

Burney
10-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Top wriggling b ;-)

Sir C is well aware that I know the difference between 'hung' and 'hanged'. However, as a skilled and practised user of the English language at a certain level, I get to choose those 'rules' to which I adhere and those to which I don't. As the most cursory research will tell you, most such 'rules' are entirely arbitrary and don't stand up to the slightest scrutiny.

Here, for instance, we have the regular and irregular past participles of the verb 'to hang'. Each is equally valid and easily understood, but recent tradition has dictated that one be used in one context and one in another. In fact, they were used interchangeably for centuries and there is no logic behind not doing so other than to avoid the barbs of pedants who wish to castigate you for doing nothing wrong.

Burney
10-13-2017, 10:27 AM
I think it is very difficult to form an opinion on this without a picture of a 17-year-old Kate Beckinsale, possibly in her school uniform

Are you in your dressing gown, la? :-(

Burney
10-13-2017, 10:35 AM
It was having all the faces pre-imagined for me by the musical.

I must say I was quite shocked by the visceral brutality of Nancy's murder. Expected the violence to be alluded to rather than so vivid.

I'm going to say it:'Oliver!' is better than 'Oliver Twist'.

Ron Moody :bow: :music: 'I'm reviewing the situation.' :music:

Top jewing by the lad Moody, there.

redgunamo
10-13-2017, 11:58 AM

In fairness, he couldn't be expected to get everyone an Academy award, could he.