PDA

View Full Version : Discussing my drinking habits with my doctor:

Sir C
10-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Two glasses of wine per night (ahem) equates to 42 units per week.

The maximum recommended is 14 units. I should reduce my intake to this level.

:hehe:

Doctors, eh?

World's End Stella
10-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Doctors, eh?

I had this same discussion with my GP and his point was that looking at alcohol consumption in isolation is nonsensical.

You have to consider whether or not you smoke, take drugs and...

Yup, you're f*cked. :nod:

Sir C
10-11-2017, 10:31 AM
I had this same discussion with my GP and his point was that looking at alcohol consumption in isolation is nonsensical.

You have to consider whether or not you smoke, take drugs and...

Yup, you're f*cked. :nod:

Since I neither smoke nor take drugs, it would appear that your knowledge of my fúckedness or otherwise is as profound as your understanding of la joga bonito.

Rich
10-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Doctors, eh?

I now have three drink free evenings per week. It's actually easier than you think.

Rich
10-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Since I neither smoke nor take drugs, it would appear that your knowledge of my fúckedness or otherwise is as profound as your understanding of la joga bonito.

Did he take your blood pressure? If so, may I enquire into the results?

Sir C
10-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Did he take your blood pressure? If so, may I enquire into the results?

He did. 130/85. :-(

Rich
10-11-2017, 10:41 AM
He did. 130/85. :-(

Then you may want to heed his advice. Alcohol consumption raises blood pressure. As does smoking (though I'm sure you're not involved in that), as does carrying excess weight.

World's End Stella
10-11-2017, 10:41 AM

You've quit the fags? :yikes:

I assumed you were kidding.

The other factors were size, exercise and balanced diet. Basically if you are a larger male, exercise regularly and have a balanced diet the 14 units or even 21 units is nonsense. I described something like a 40-50 unit consumption per week and his feedback was that as I exercised regularly, did not take drugs or smoke, had a balanced diet and was 6' 3" and 15 stone that there was no issue.

So I now consume about 80 units a week. :-(

Sir C
10-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Then you may want to heed his advice. Alcohol consumption raises blood pressure. As does smoking (though I'm sure you're not involved in that), as does carrying excess weight.

Ah, but my cholestoral results were 'astonishingly good', I'm bang on the correct weight, exercise daily and don't eat processed food, so, apparently, I'm all good and will live forever.

I did notice that his medical degree was issued by the University of Addis Ababa, mind.

Sir C
10-11-2017, 10:44 AM
You've quit the fags? :yikes:

I assumed you were kidding.

The other factors were size, exercise and balanced diet. Basically if you are a larger male, exercise regularly and have a balanced diet the 14 units or even 21 units is nonsense. I described something like a 40-50 unit consumption per week and his feedback was that as I exercised regularly, did not take drugs or smoke, had a balanced diet and was 6' 3" and 15 stone that there was no issue.

So I now consume about 80 units a week. :-(

15 stone! :yikes: 15 stone! They're going to have to remove a wall to get the crane in to hoist out your corpse, man!

Rich
10-11-2017, 10:45 AM
15 stone! :yikes: 15 stone! They're going to have to remove a wall to get the crane in to hoist out your corpse, man!

Are you bodyshaming WES?

Burney
10-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Doctors, eh?

:hehe: I've consumed more than 14 units in lunch hour, ffs! These units are utterly arbitrary and largely meaningless, of course.

In fact, they're widely considered to be counter-productive as, since nobody believes in them or takes them seriously, they actually discredit and undermine more sensible and realistic attempts by the medical profession to curb excessive drinking.

But of course doctors can't allow themselves to be seen as anything but finger-wagging puritans. :rolleyes:

Sir C
10-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Are you bodyshaming WES?

God forbid. But 15 stone! That's getting on for 100 kg. We're in sumo wrestler territory here.

I hope his heart is good and strong :-(

World's End Stella
10-11-2017, 10:49 AM

My body fat is reasonable though, I think. 15% or so as I recall. Given that professional athletes are just under 10% I would have thought that was ok.

I have no desire to be skinny. :nono:

Sir C
10-11-2017, 10:52 AM
:hehe: I've consumed more than 14 units in lunch hour, ffs! These units are utterly arbitrary and largely meaningless, of course.

In fact, they're widely considered to be counter-productive as, since nobody believes in them or takes them seriously, they actually discredit and undermine more sensible and realistic attempts by the medical profession to curb excessive drinking.

But of course doctors can't allow themselves to be seen as anything but finger-wagging puritans. :rolleyes:

Millions off self-respecting French peasants who knock off a litre and a half of rough red per day must all die at 40 years old.

Oh.

SWv2
10-11-2017, 10:53 AM

Doctors, eh?

I think I told you this before. I had tests and the doctor (not my GP) called me as she was very alarmed at the results of the Liver Function tests, the results being not dis similar to a person with a drink problem.

Anyhow after discussions about the previous week / weekend etc. I simply told her she was wrong and we agreed to re-do the tests after a settling down period.

Guess who was vindicated?

World's End Stella
10-11-2017, 10:53 AM
God forbid. But 15 stone! That's getting on for 100 kg. We're in sumo wrestler territory here.

I hope his heart is good and strong :-(

Well, I work out four times a week and then play hockey on Saturday which gives me a seriously good cardio workout.

And when on the bike and treadmill I monitor my heart rate which rarely goes above 140 even when peddling hard or running at 11.5 km/h.

I'm assuming that means my heart is ok. Mind you these stories about fitness nutters dropping dead of a heart attack are always a bit worrying. There was one recently, chap was the England hockey coach and a fitness addict and he had a heart attack out of nowhere.

At 46 or something. :-(

Sir C
10-11-2017, 10:55 AM
I think I told you this before. I had tests and the doctor (not my GP) called me as she was very alarmed at the results of the Liver Function tests, the results being not dis similar to a person with a drink problem.

Anyhow after discussions about the previous week / weekend etc. I simply told her she was wrong and we agreed to re-do the tests after a settling down period.

Guess who was vindicated?

Tell me more about this 'settling down period'.

You quit the sauce, didn't you? :-(

Burney
10-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Well, I work out four times a week and then play hockey on Saturday which gives me a seriously good cardio workout.

And when on the bike and treadmill I monitor my heart rate which rarely goes above 140 even when peddling hard or running at 11.5 km/h.

I'm assuming that means my heart is ok. Mind you these stories about fitness nutters dropping dead of a heart attack are always a bit worrying. There was one recently, chap was the England hockey coach and a fitness addict and he had a heart attack out of nowhere.

At 46 or something. :-(

As any good actuary will tell you, your best guides to life expectancy are when and how your grandparents/parents died. Diet and exercise help, of course, but the underlying health issues tend to be congenital.

I knew a chap whose father and brother both died of heart attacks in their 40s. Given which, he looked after himself scrupulously, exercised, barely drank and certaily never smoked or took drugs. Despite all this, he had a near-fatal clutcher when he was 48 and is now pretty much treading on eggshells waiting for the next one.

You can't beat genetics, I'm afraid. :shrug:

World's End Stella
10-11-2017, 11:10 AM
As any good actuary will tell you, your best guides to life expectancy are when and how your grandparents/parents died. Diet and exercise help, of course, but the underlying health issues tend to be congenital.

I knew a chap whose father and brother both died of heart attacks in their 40s. Given which, he looked after himself scrupulously, exercised, barely drank and certaily never smoked or took drugs. Despite all this, he had a near-fatal clutcher when he was 48 and is now pretty much treading on eggshells waiting for the next one.

You can't beat genetics, I'm afraid. :shrug:

Ah, now this I like given that my father is still kicking about at 86 and my mother at 82. And my father smoked two packs a day when he was younger and basically never exercised a day in his life. His father passed at 83 and my mother's father at 75 despite being 8 or 9 stone overweight and diabetic.

Genetics gives me confidence Burney, although my blood pressure, love of salty food and drinking make me concerned, if I'm honest.

Pokster
10-11-2017, 11:13 AM

2 out of 3 aint bad :hide: :fishing:

World's End Stella
10-11-2017, 11:16 AM

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2003, it was 150/90. They sent me away for 3 weeks and told me to be healthy, relax and come back.

I cut out coffee altogether, reduced my alcohol (although not massively), generally ate better and changed my workouts to be more cardio oriented.

3 weeks later it was 118/78 and they told me to go home and be happy.

Last time it was checked I think it was similar to yours 135/85 or so which isn't bad for people our age I think.

Burney
10-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Ah, now this I like given that my father is still kicking about at 86 and my mother at 82. And my father smoked two packs a day when he was younger and basically never exercised a day in his life. His father passed at 83 and my mother's father at 75 despite being 8 or 9 stone overweight and diabetic.

Genetics gives me confidence Burney, although my blood pressure, love of salty food and drinking make me concerned, if I'm honest.

Heart disease almost always runs in the family. Fortunately, my family has absolutely no history of it whatsoever. We tend to die of cancer and drink.

Pokster
10-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Heart disease almost always runs in the family. Fortunately, my family has absolutely no history of it whatsoever. We tend to die of cancer and drink.

:( Dad died of heart problems at 50, his dad died at 50........ so I've beaten them both :)

Burney
10-11-2017, 11:24 AM
:( Dad died of heart problems at 50, his dad died at 50........ so I've beaten them both :)

Good man. You may, of course inherited your mum's heart. It's funny how it works. My daughter - thankfully - seems to have inherited my mother's genes, which means she doesn't have the genes associated with certain health issues my ex had. That said, it does mean she's only about five feet tall and has tiny feet, but that's a small price to pay.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-11-2017, 11:25 AM
As does being bollócks ugly

World's End Stella
10-11-2017, 11:30 AM
As does being bollócks ugly

I'm sure your missus loves you anyway, Herb. :thumbup:

At least when she's inflated.

Pokster
10-11-2017, 11:49 AM
I'm sure your missus loves you anyway, Herb. :thumbup:

At least when she's inflated.

Herb will have 1 of those new fangled sex dolls.. the ones that are putting prossies out of work in Austria

SWv2
10-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Not at all, I simply re-tested about 5 months later when life was normal and alcohol consumption had leveled off.

My initial test was in the first or second week of January so I had the Xmas booze volumes to contend with.

I have never quit the sauce since I began.