PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm. Hard to know where to start with the irony of The Guardian publishing a piece

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:31 AM
whining about discussion of the issues being shut down in the wake of a mass killing. :snakehead:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/03/mourn-las-vegas-shooting-gun-control

This from the home of such classic apologist articles as 'Don't look back in anger', 'We must carry on as normal', 'It's the victims of the forthcoming anti-muslim backlash we should really be worrying about' and, of course 'Very sad, but we basically deserve it because Iraq/Afghanistan/Israel/Empire/Thatcher (delete as appropriate)'.

Jaw-dropping hypocrisy.

Peter
10-03-2017, 09:54 AM
whining about discussion of the issues being shut down in the wake of a mass killing. :snakehead:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/03/mourn-las-vegas-shooting-gun-control

This from the home of such classic apologist articles as 'Don't look back in anger', 'We must carry on as normal', 'It's the victims of the forthcoming anti-muslim backlash we should really be worrying about' and, of course 'Very sad, but we basically deserve it because Iraq/Afghanistan/Israel/Empire/Thatcher (delete as appropriate)'.

Jaw-dropping hypocrisy.

Its a house with many rooms, b. There is staggering idiocy on all sides when it comes to gun control.

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Its a house with many rooms, b. There is staggering idiocy on all sides when it comes to gun control.

It's a house full of ****s is what it is, p.

The really staggering idiocy on gun control in America is to imagine it's still possible. That horse has not merely bolted, it fúcked off decades ago and lived a long, happy and fulfilling new life before eventually dying at a ripe old age.

Peter
10-03-2017, 10:01 AM
It's a house full of ****s is what it is, p.

The really staggering idiocy on gun control in America is to imagine it's still possible. That horse has not merely bolted, it fúcked off decades ago and lived a long, happy and fulfilling new life before eventually dying at a ripe old age.

Yes and no. Yes if you are looking to ensure that nobody owns a gun. There are plenty of other restrictions one could consider to try and minimise the impact. For instance, at a stroke you could remove the right to carry a concealed weapon, or indeed to carry any weapon. By all means have a gun but leave it at home.

You can also restrict the guns people buy.

I always find it rather funny when the gun lobby say that making something illegal doesnt stop people doing it. What a logic that is!

Sir C
10-03-2017, 10:04 AM

Jaw-dropping hypocrisy.

Surely the elephant in the room here is Switzerland, where every **** and his dog owns a rifle but few are moved to use them to mow down a bunch of innocent schmoes.

The answer is, clearly, that the problem isn't the guns, it's the mental fúcker pulling the trigger, so as long as these mental septics stick to taking out other septics, the problem is self-resolving. No more septics, no more massacres. :shrug:

Peter
10-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Surely the elephant in the room here is Switzerland, where every **** and his dog owns a rifle but few are moved to use them to mow down a bunch of innocent schmoes.

The answer is, clearly, that the problem isn't the guns, it's the mental fúcker pulling the trigger, so as long as these mental septics stick to taking out other septics, the problem is self-resolving. No more septics, no more massacres. :shrug:

A nation born of violence, Sir C, conceived at the barrel of a shotgun.

Look at how they have collectively defined the notion of freedom. Weirdos.

Burney
10-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Yes and no. Yes if you are looking to ensure that nobody owns a gun. There are plenty of other restrictions one could consider to try and minimise the impact. For instance, at a stroke you could remove the right to carry a concealed weapon, or indeed to carry any weapon. By all means have a gun but leave it at home.

You can also restrict the guns people buy.

I always find it rather funny when the gun lobby say that making something illegal doesnt stop people doing it. What a logic that is!

Yes, but what do you do about all the guns that are going to continue to be in people's hands? Because if you think people will simply hand them back (assuming you can get past the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution - which you can't) you're wrong.

You then have the prospect of a country absolutely packed with illegal guns and a large part of the otherwise law-abiding population criminalised overnight.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 10:13 AM
A nation born of violence, Sir C, conceived at the barrel of a shotgun.

Look at how they have collectively defined the notion of freedom. Weirdos.

Look, if this look were a part of my nation's history, you wouldn't ever see me without a stetson and a six gun. I mean, it's cool, man.

Peter
10-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Yes, but what do you do about all the guns that are going to continue to be in people's hands? Because if you think people will simply hand them back (assuming you can get past the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution - which you can't) you're wrong.

You then have the prospect of a country absolutely packed with illegal guns and a large part of the otherwise law-abiding population criminalised overnight.

You cant take the guns but you can make it illegal to carry them.

Ash
10-03-2017, 11:03 AM

First 9 months of 2017:
-11,572 gun deaths
-23,365 gun injuries
-271 mass shootings (more than four victims)
-1,508 unintentional shootings
-2,971 kids/teens shot

The country that believes it has the moral right to rule the world.

Burney
10-03-2017, 11:34 AM

Which will do absolutely nothing to stop someone who wants to kill large numbers of people, of course.

Burney
10-03-2017, 11:36 AM

All the more remarkable when you consider that they're surrounded by other Swiss people. If I had to live in Switzerland, I'd go on a gun rampage within a few weeks.

Peter
10-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Which will do absolutely nothing to stop someone who wants to kill large numbers of people, of course.

Of course not. Just as making drugs illegal doesnt stop people taking them; just as making murder illegal doesnt stop it happening.

It would, however, mean the individual is breaking the law the moment he leaves the house with the weapons. It would also prevent many of the shootings that are accidental or circumstantial and that arise simply because people have guns on them when an incident occurs.

In the broader sense, it means people would not be routinely walking round with concealed weapons. I think that would be a good thing.

bbrian
10-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Of course not. Just as making drugs illegal doesnt stop people taking them; just as making murder illegal doesnt stop it happening.

It would, however, mean the individual is breaking the law the moment he leaves the house with the weapons. It would also prevent many of the shootings that are accidental or circumstantial and that arise simply because people have guns on them when an incident occurs.

In the broader sense, it means people would not be routinely walking round with concealed weapons. I think that would be a good thing.

Missing one key point here though..its not what Americans want . Now you might show me a poll that says otherwise , but i would have no faith in it . Totally different culture when it comes to guns here and it takes some getting used to

Burney
10-03-2017, 12:20 PM

I don’t disagree, but the fact remains that legally-held and concealed firearms really aren’t a very big problem. Most of America’s gun deaths involve domestics, street crime using illegal firearms, mass killings such as this one or accidents on private land. None of them would be notably affected by what you propose.

Peter
10-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Missing one key point here though..its not what Americans want . Now you might show me a poll that says otherwise , but i would have no faith in it . Totally different culture when it comes to guns here and it takes some getting used to

Oh I know that. They love their guns. My point was only that it is possible to take some action on it, short of marching into everyone's house and nicking their gun.

Peter
10-03-2017, 01:00 PM
I don’t disagree, but the fact remains that legally-held and concealed firearms really aren’t a very big problem. Most of America’s gun deaths involve domestics, street crime using illegal firearms, mass killings such as this one or accidents on private land. None of them would be notably affected by what you propose.

It may not. The point would be to try and move away from this 'gun culture', if you can call it that.

If you look at it another way, they only kill each other with guns because everyone has got one. If they didnt have guns they would use something else. Either way, they are still going to kill each other.

We may be rightly proud of how few gun deaths we have here but people do still get killed. A ban on guns is good news for your knife salesman.....

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:18 PM
It may not. The point would be to try and move away from this 'gun culture', if you can call it that.

If you look at it another way, they only kill each other with guns because everyone has got one. If they didnt have guns they would use something else. Either way, they are still going to kill each other.

We may be rightly proud of how few gun deaths we have here but people do still get killed. A ban on guns is good news for your knife salesman.....

I think this is akin to the argument that you'll change the UK's drinking culture by preventing people drinking on the street. You won't because such cultures really aren't that malleable. They will merely adapt.

Clearly America's gun laws fail miserably to acknowledge the fact that Americans want to kill one another in large numbers. That is their failing: they are inappropriate to their society from a public health perspective. I suspect things wouldn't be much different over here were we to have the same laws.

SWv2
10-03-2017, 01:25 PM
I heard on the radio earlier that the killer dude had 40 guns/weapons to his name. An impressive figure I am sure you will agree.

Now I assume a fair number of these were illegal as surely to God it is not legal for a normal chap to own 40 guns?

Sir C
10-03-2017, 01:26 PM
I think this is akin to the argument that you'll change the UK's drinking culture by preventing people drinking on the street. You won't because such cultures really aren't that malleable. They will merely adapt.

Clearly America's gun laws fail miserably to acknowledge the fact that Americans want to kill one another in large numbers. That is their failing: they are inappropriate to their society from a public health perspective. I suspect things wouldn't be much different over here were we to have the same laws.

Their problem is that they don't fight. They'll happily hurl insults at each other whilst crossing the road, but lack the masculine qualities of decent English gentlemen and the cojones to throw a punch. Instead, they bottle it all up until, eventually, the inevitable happens.

Wánkers to a man.

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:27 PM
I heard on the radio earlier that the killer dude had 40 guns/weapons to his name. An impressive figure I am sure you will agree.

Now I assume a fair number of these were illegal as surely to God it is not legal for a normal chap to own 40 guns?

I don't think there's a limit. Some people are gun collectors same as others are car collectors or whatever.

He wouldn't have needed more than a couple to do what he did anyway. The only issue would be the barrel getting too hot.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 01:28 PM

I had an uncle who shot himself in the face because he was suspected of the theft of a bicycle #irish

One day I'd like to find out whether he was guilty of the bicycle theft.

Pokster
10-03-2017, 01:28 PM

I think all the weapons were purchased legally... some of the "upgrades" he carried out weren't

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Their problem is that they don't fight. They'll happily hurl insults at each other whilst crossing the road, but lack the masculine qualities of decent English gentlemen and the cojones to throw a punch. Instead, they bottle it all up until, eventually, the inevitable happens.

Wánkers to a man.

It's just too easy to kill someone with a gun, though, isn't it? Impersonal. You don't have to look them in the eye, hear their bones crack or feel their blood running over your hand. Just squeeze a trigger and off you pop. It lacks application.

SWv2
10-03-2017, 01:30 PM
I had an uncle who shot himself in the face because he was suspected of the theft of a bicycle #irish

A family of thieves eh.

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:31 PM

Oddly symmetrical that you also had a grandfather who had his bicycle stolen, really.

Burney
A family of thieves eh.

:nod: Irish, you see?

Burney
I think all the weapons were purchased legally... some of the "upgrades" he carried out weren't

Legal to purchase, but not to apply to the weapon. Ludicrous, really.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Oddly symmetrical that you also had a grandfather who had his bicycle stolen, really.

So true, b. One wonders whether Uncle JJ ever served with the Wehrmacht in the Netherlands.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 01:36 PM
A family of thieves eh.

In civilised countries, sw, a chap is innocent until proven otherwise. Of course, one wouldn't expect the pseudo-human inhabitants of Her Majesty's Western Isle to understand concepts like justice and fair play, so your gross calumny is forgiven.

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:38 PM
So true, b. One wonders whether Uncle JJ ever served with the Wehrmacht in the Netherlands.

I'm just struck by the significance of bicycle theft in your family history. Have you ever had a bike stolen?

SWv2
10-03-2017, 01:39 PM
In civilised countries, sw, a chap is innocent until proven otherwise. Of course, one wouldn't expect the pseudo-human inhabitants of Her Majesty's Western Isle to understand concepts like justice and fair play, so your gross calumny is forgiven.

I suggest his action of shooting himself in the face is all the evidence of guilt we need.

The thick!

Peter
10-03-2017, 01:43 PM

We often make these arguments to suggest that laws wont make any difference because you cant change how people feel. You only have to change how they behave. So the seat belt law did work; banning smoking in pubs was enforced properly (even in Ireland) and people did eventually get used to decimalisation.

It doesnt change overnight but it does change. If there is a genuine homocidal tendency within the average american then it wont change that. After all, if you are willing to break the law by killing someone you are unlikely to be concerned at breaking the law by leaving house with a weapon.

As someone else said, americans dont want it. THey love their guns. I suppose it is none of our business really.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 01:43 PM
I'm just struck by the significance of bicycle theft in your family history. Have you ever had a bike stolen?

Not yet; nor have I stolen one. I think we both know what the future holds though, don't we? :-(

Peter
10-03-2017, 01:44 PM
I suggest his action of shooting himself in the face is all the evidence of guilt we need.

The thick!

Might have been a mistake.

Burney

The thick!

Maybe he was upset by the slur to his honour? Maybe he was hounded into it by the inhabitants of the village shunning him (as is the wont of backward, rural types)? Perhaps local children were throwing stones at the poor chap? He may well just have despaired. :-(

Sir C

The thick!

The faceshooting was as a result of the shame of being suspected, sw, not the shame of his guilt.

What sort of fúcking kangaroo court is this, for Christ's sake?

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Not yet; nor have I stolen one. I think we both know what the future holds though, don't we? :-(

Bike theft and suicide? :-(

SWv2
We often make these arguments to suggest that laws wont make any difference because you cant change how people feel. You only have to change how they behave. So the seat belt law did work; banning smoking in pubs was enforced properly (even in Ireland) and people did eventually get used to decimalisation.

It doesnt change overnight but it does change. If there is a genuine homocidal tendency within the average american then it wont change that. After all, if you are willing to break the law by killing someone you are unlikely to be concerned at breaking the law by leaving house with a weapon.

As someone else said, americans dont want it. THey love their guns. I suppose it is none of our business really.

We were the first people in the world to put this ban in place.

Sir C
Might have been a mistake.

Oh what a surprise, along comes the bleeding heart liberal to side with criminal :rolleyes:

Not a thought for the victim, I note.

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:46 PM
The faceshooting was as a result of the shame of being suspected, sw, not the shame of his guilt.

:nod:

***************FREE THE LIMERICK ONE!!!!********************

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Yes. And you were weirdly proud of it. Like the arse-licking thick kid in school sucking up to teacher.

SWv2
10-03-2017, 01:47 PM

He would say that wouldn't he. If he was really innocent all he had to do was style it out, maybe not use the bike for a few weeks.

Should have given the fúcker the birch.

Peter
10-03-2017, 01:48 PM
Oh what a surprise, along comes the bleeding heart liberal to side with criminal :rolleyes:

Not a thought for the victim, I note.

I just meant he might have shot himself by mistake because he was bloody daft, or pissed.

I find this whole story rather strange.

SWv2
10-03-2017, 01:48 PM
Yes. And you were weirdly proud of it. Like the arse-licking thick kid in school sucking up to teacher.

It has universally been hailed and lauded as a great thing.

Even the pubs that flaunted the law soon came on board. Now the people just stand in the doorway.

Peter
10-03-2017, 01:50 PM

Yes, I was there. It was pretty ****.

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:50 PM
He would say that wouldn't he. If he was really innocent all he had to do was style it out, maybe not use the bike for a few weeks.

Should have given the fúcker the birch.

It could easily have been a mistake. Chap gets wildly pissed, forgets he walked to the pub rather than took his bike, clambers onto someone else's bike in error, wakes up and everyone's calling him a bike thief.

All too easily done, sw.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 01:51 PM
:nod:

***************FREE THE LIMERICK ONE!!!!********************

Bit late for the poor old bugger now really. :-(

His brother married a lady who had been convicted of burying a baby in her garden. They certainly knew how to have a good time back in the day, didn't they?

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:51 PM
It has universally been hailed and lauded as a great thing.

Only by the sort of arseholes who don't smoke and didn't used to go into pubs.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 01:52 PM
I just meant he might have shot himself by mistake because he was bloody daft, or pissed.

I find this whole story rather strange.

He never drank, apparently. He was always immaculately presented - a man of enormous moral standing.

It is no wonder to me that the visit of a policeman prompted him to take the route of honour.

Burney
10-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Bit late for the poor old bugger now really. :-(

His brother married a lady who had been convicted of burying a baby in her garden. They certainly knew how to have a good time back in the day, didn't they?

I think that's OK as long as it was of hers. People take a dim view if you bury other people's babies in your garden.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 01:54 PM
I think that's OK as long as it was of hers. People take a dim view if you bury other people's babies in your garden.

I think it was a sort of 'avoid being sent to the nunnery' tactic.

I hope the child was dead before the interment. :-(

SWv2
10-03-2017, 01:54 PM
He never drank, apparently. He was always immaculately presented - a man of enormous moral standing.

It is no wonder to me that the visit of a policeman prompted him to take the route of honour.

Too busy stealing bikes I suggest.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Too busy stealing bikes I suggest.

Have you ever been to Kilteely, sw? There is simply no hope of concealing the theft of a bicycle. I mean, he could have concealed the bicycle in a barn, but the second he tried to ride it he'd have been clocked by one of the 6 inhabitants of the village, each of whom knows every single detail about the lives and possessions of his neighbours.

The interfering, judgemental, small-minded ****s. #irish

Peter
10-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Have you ever been to Kilteely, sw? There is simply no hope of concealing the theft of a bicycle. I mean, he could have concealed the bicycle in a barn, but the second he tried to ride it he'd have been clocked by one of the 6 inhabitants of the village, each of whom knows every single detail about the lives and possessions of his neighbours.

Bit of a waste of time stealing it then. What was he thinking??

Burney
10-03-2017, 02:01 PM
I think it was a sort of 'avoid being sent to the nunnery' tactic.

I hope the child was dead before the interment. :-(

To be fair, there’s probably tiny corpses buried in most gardens in rural Ireland.

God it really was a truly awful, priest-ridden hellhole of a place, wasn’t it? I’m amazed anyone stayed.

SWv2
10-03-2017, 02:11 PM

So he was guilty then?

For shame.

A family of thieves and prostitutes.

Burney
10-03-2017, 02:14 PM
So he was guilty then?

For shame.

Prostitutes? I've seen no mention of whores, sw.

Pokster
10-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Prostitutes? I've seen no mention of whores, sw.

Prostitutes seem to have pricked your interest b

Sir C
10-03-2017, 02:19 PM
So he was guilty then?

For shame.

:shrug: #irish

Burney
10-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Prostitutes seem to have pricked your interest b

But surely their job is to interest my prick? :shrug:

Pokster
10-03-2017, 02:29 PM
But surely their job is to interest my prick? :shrug:

They will have been paid by the time it gets to that stage... and if it doesn't interest your prick then I guess you shouldn't have gone there in the first place... you dirty man b

Pokster
10-03-2017, 02:30 PM
It could easily have been a mistake. Chap gets wildly pissed, forgets he walked to the pub rather than took his bike, clambers onto someone else's bike in error, wakes up and everyone's calling him a bike thief.

All too easily done, sw.

Is that why the Welsh are called sheep shaggers? It was just a mistake after a boozy night out

Ash
10-03-2017, 03:30 PM
To be fair, there’s probably tiny corpses buried in most gardens in rural Ireland.

Mostly from the potato famine, I expect.

I watched the 'Victoria' on that last night. Now, as much as you will doubtless blame the 'feckless' irish people for it, it really was very sad. :-(

Peter
10-03-2017, 03:38 PM

I watched the 'Victoria' on that last night. Now, as much as you will doubtless blame the 'feckless' irish people for it, it really was very sad. :-(

God sent the blight, was the english that sent the famine.

THey call it the hunger. Its only a famine when there isn't any food.

'They' being Irish Americans, obviously. The most Irish of them all.

Burney
10-03-2017, 04:14 PM

Monoculture, innit. :shrug:

Also, large numbers of people starved to death on a tiny island where you're never very far from the sea. This tells you what you need to know about the adventurous palate of the average Irish

Peter
10-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Monoculture, innit. :shrug:

Also, large numbers of people starved to death on a tiny island where you're never very far from the sea. This tells you what you need to know about the adventurous palate of the average Irish

They also starved to death in a country awash with food which tells you all you need to know about British rule.

Interestingly, the corn that Peel imported was so alien to the tenant farmer Irish that they didnt know how to cook it and their stomachs couldn't cope with it. Weakened by hunger and desease, it actually killed quite a few of them.

Burney
10-04-2017, 08:44 AM
They also starved to death in a country awash with food which tells you all you need to know about British rule.

Interestingly, the corn that Peel imported was so alien to the tenant farmer Irish that they didnt know how to cook it and their stomachs couldn't cope with it. Weakened by hunger and desease, it actually killed quite a few of them.

Yes, but the fact is that corn was imported in an effort to relieve the problem. This was emphatically not the act of genocide it is painted as by provos. It was a monumental failure in terms of logistics, communications and imagination, but it was not a consequence of malign intent.

PSRB
10-04-2017, 08:51 AM
homocidal?

Pokster
10-04-2017, 08:53 AM
homocidal?

Not at the moment, but if my PC doesn't start working properly soon i could be

PSRB
10-04-2017, 08:55 AM

Homocidal?

PSRB
10-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Not at the moment, but if my PC doesn't start working properly soon i could be

Posted in the wrong place, was a reply to Peter

Peter
10-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Yes, but the fact is that corn was imported in an effort to relieve the problem. This was emphatically not the act of genocide it is painted as by provos. It was a monumental failure in terms of logistics, communications and imagination, but it was not a consequence of malign intent.

It certainly wasn't genocide. Nobody outside of America thinks it was. In parts of America it is taught alongside the holocaust.....

Corn was imported once, by Peel, to relieve the situation, against incredible opposition from virtually all at Westminster. From that point on, the government did pretty much nothing other than offering relief work. Russell's government had very little interest in helping and, without question, saw mass emigration and, yes, some 'downsizing through termination' as a bonus in reducing population.

Throughout the famine they continued to export huge quantities of food but, despite this, there was still plenty available in Ireland. Unfortunately, your evicted tenant farmer couldn't afford to buy it and nobody was of a mind to give it away.

It is one of the most shameful episodes in our history but it should be taught in schools. There are some wonderful examples of individuals, charities, and well minded folk risking their lives to help.

For the record, the Quakers were the first to get over there and they remained throughout the famine, giving away food.