:clap: twiffic effort there B

Ash
10-02-2017, 09:47 PM
10 ****ling characters

I'm Heartbroken.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 08:19 AM
10 ****ling characters

Sounds like he failed to look after his heart. Overweight, too little exercise, smoking cigarettes, too much salt.

Self-inflicted, really :sniff:

Peter
10-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Sounds like he failed to look after his heart. Overweight, too little exercise, smoking cigarettes, too much salt.

Self-inflicted, really :sniff:

I dont think I have ever met anyone who genuinely liked his music.

I mean, its alright...

Sir C
10-03-2017, 08:31 AM

I mean, its alright...

There must be Tom Petty fanatics out there but one does rather wonder why.

On the other hand, he was clearly greatly respected by his peers. Dylan and Springsteen are both said to be great fans of his work, for example. And they should know, I suppose.

Peter
10-03-2017, 08:39 AM

On the other hand, he was clearly greatly respected by his peers. Dylan and Springsteen are both said to be great fans of his work, for example. And they should know, I suppose.

I never trust what musicians say about other musicians. THen again, I suppose if you are Dylan there is a bit of a hole in your life because you dont get to be a fan of Dylan. Ditto Springsteen.

Paul Weller doesnt know how lucky he is.

eastgermanautos
10-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Life goes on, my friends. Life is for the living. As far as Tom Petty, I think it was his name, which is analagous to Richard Petty, NASCAR Driver. So it was like you were getting two hits of straight-up Americana for the price of one. Listen to this Tom Petty song, get three free sparkplugs.

Peter
10-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Life goes on, my friends. Life is for the living. As far as Tom Petty, I think it was his name, which is analagous to Richard Petty, NASCAR Driver. So it was like you were getting two hits of straight-up Americana for the price of one. Listen to this Tom Petty song, get three free sparkplugs.

Same thing worked for Born in the USA. You people do love droning on about your country and looking at your flag.

And guns. You love guns. All of you.

eastgermanautos
10-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Same thing worked for Born in the USA. You people do love droning on about your country and looking at your flag.

And guns. You love guns. All of you.

Don't get me started on Springsteen. He can lick my mid-Atlantic ballsack. Fake astroturfing wannabe blue-collar fool. In terms of guns, sure, why not? Hunting purposes. And hunting of the human is the greatest game.

(Just kidding. Although not about Springsteen.)

Peter
10-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Don't get me started on Springsteen. He can lick my mid-Atlantic ballsack. Fake astroturfing wannabe blue-collar fool. In terms of guns, sure, why not? Hunting purposes. And hunting of the human is the greatest game.

Fake astroturfing wannabe blue collar fool?

You are going to have to help me with the astroturfing bit. Oh, and the fake. THe blue collar fool bit I get- we can 'park' that, as I believe you fellas are fond of saying.

Pokster
10-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Lights blue touch paper and waits for Sir C to explode

Sir C
10-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Lights blue touch paper and waits for Sir C to explode

One never stoops to debating with the Yanqui, p. They are, essentially, children, and should be treated as such.

eastgermanautos
10-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Fake astroturfing wannabe blue collar fool?

You are going to have to help me with the astroturfing bit. Oh, and the fake. THe blue collar fool bit I get- we can 'park' that, as I believe you fellas are fond of saying.

Astroturfing, as I'm sure you know, is when a practitioner pretends to be "down-home," local, one of the boys, country, etc. It's often a ploy practiced by corporations or politicians. They pretend to be real Kansans but in fact they're some sh!tfvcks straight from NY's Upper East Side.

Anyway, I must admit I was a bit wrong about Springsteen. I had thought that he spent some time in high school in California. This would have been another form of astroturfing: pretending that one is from blue-collar New Jersey, while actually hanging with the cool kids out in Cali. Now it seems that his *parents relocated to Cali, while Bruce stayed in Jersey. So he is at least from Jersey, and emerged from Jersey. At the same time I do detect a degree of posing there, particularly in the aggressive claiming of the blue-collar mantle. I don't trust it, in fact it annoys me. I grew up close to there, in Maryland, so he's always represented the kind of BS one has to reckon with in one's early days. Fake bards, ad-men, people trying to appropriate whatever is authentic in one's life...

Pokster
10-03-2017, 09:07 AM
One never stoops to debating with the Yanqui, p. They are, essentially, children, and should be treated as such.
Good point.... gun owning kids :yikes:

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:17 AM

I mean, its alright...

He's one of these people Americans seem to like, but whose music doesn't really translate anywhere else.

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:22 AM

There was an NRA chap on the Today programme this morning. Lord, but their arguments are pisspoor! Pointing out that people die because of things other than guns really isn't an argument for being allowed to own guns.

Ultimately, they just love owning guns and see high rates of gun deaths as an acceptable price to pay for their right to do so. Fair enough, but I wish they'd just be honest.

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Astroturfing, as I'm sure you know, is when a practitioner pretends to be "down-home," local, one of the boys, country, etc. It's often a ploy practiced by corporations or politicians. They pretend to be real Kansans but in fact they're some sh!tfvcks straight from NY's Upper East Side.

Anyway, I must admit I was a bit wrong about Springsteen. I had thought that he spent some time in high school in California. This would have been another form of astroturfing: pretending that one is from blue-collar New Jersey, while actually hanging with the cool kids out in Cali. Now it seems that his *parents relocated to Cali, while Bruce stayed in Jersey. So he is at least from Jersey, and emerged from Jersey. At the same time I do detect a degree of posing there, particularly in the aggressive claiming of the blue-collar mantle. I don't trust it, in fact it annoys me. I grew up close to there, in Maryland, so he's always represented the kind of BS one has to reckon with in one's early days. Fake bards, ad-men, people trying to appropriate whatever is authentic in one's life...

If it's lack of authenticity you're after, you probably ought to start with Bob Dylan, tbh. A nice, middle-class Jewish boy from Duluth Minnesota who basically spent his early career pretending to have been a boxcar-riding drifter poet a la Woody Guthrie. A complete fraud.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 09:32 AM
If it's lack of authenticity you're after, you probably ought to start with Bob Dylan, tbh. A nice, middle-class Jewish boy from Duluth Minnesota who basically spent his early career pretending to have been a boxcar-riding drifter poet a la Woody Guthrie. A complete fraud.

Kebab, was it? Hmm?

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Kebab, was it? Hmm?

Actually, no. I'd forgotten I'd made some Chicken tikka on Saturday. I consumed it standing up in the kitchen wrapped in a naan bread with mint and cucumber raita and a tomato and onion salad.

World's End Stella
10-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Petty was good, not just OK. He wasn't great and only occasionally very good, but he was good.

I thought he had quite the impact on those Wilbury chaps who had a few excellent songs. And Learning to Fly is awfully foot tappable.

And he never did anything as bad as Cover Me. So there. :-)

Sir C
10-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Actually, no. I'd forgotten I'd made some Chicken tikka on Saturday. I consumed it standing up in the kitchen wrapped in a naan bread with mint and cucumber raita and a tomato and onion salad.

Funny, that. Tonight I am doing some Greek-style lamb chops with Greek salad and tzatziki, which is pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

Pokster
10-03-2017, 09:37 AM

why were you wrapped in a naan bread

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Funny, that. Tonight I am doing some Greek-style lamb chops with Greek salad and tzatziki, which is pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

:nod: Basically, yes. You will emerge stinking of garlic and cumin, I trust?

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:41 AM
why were you wrapped in a naan bread

'Cos that's how your mum likes me.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 09:42 AM
:nod: Basically, yes. You will emerge stinking of garlic and cumin, I trust?

Certainly. The lamb is already submerged in a marinade of garlic, lemon zest, cumin and oregano.*

*If in doubt, throw the kitchen sink at it.

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Certainly. The lamb is already submerged in a marinade of garlic, lemon zest, cumin and oregano.*

*If in doubt, throw the kitchen sink at it.

But no salt? :-(

Sir C
10-03-2017, 09:44 AM
But no salt? :-(

No salt.

On Sunday I momentarily was able to breathe through my right nostril for the first time in 20 years. It soon re-blocked itself but it made me wonder whether maybe, just maybe, my tubes might actually recover...

Peter
10-03-2017, 09:46 AM

I think I understand, although the message I am getting here is that you know you were wrong, as of course you were/are.

The irony with all of this is that his work is hugely auto-biographical. He is simultaneously accused of being boring because of this and fake because, well, he is claiming to be something he is not.

THe Jersey/California thing is pure laziness on the part of people looking for a stick to beat him with.

I am amazed people cant find more in his music to attack him for. When you have to go to the guy and where he grew up it feels like a losing game from the off. Some of his music is **** ;)

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:47 AM
No salt.

On Sunday I momentarily was able to breathe through my right nostril for the first time in 20 years. It soon re-blocked itself but it made me wonder whether maybe, just maybe, my tubes might actually recover...

No drugs, exercise, no fags, no salt and moderate drinking.

You realise you're becoming everything you once despised, of course? :-(

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:48 AM
I think I understand, although the message I am getting here is that you know you were wrong, as of course you were/are.

The irony with all of this is that his work is hugely auto-biographical. He is simultaneously accused of being boring because of this and fake because, well, he is claiming to be something he is not.

THe Jersey/California thing is pure laziness on the part of people looking for a stick to beat him with.

I am amazed people cant find more in his music to attack him for. When you have to go to the guy and where he grew up it feels like a losing game from the off. Some of his music is **** ;)

Just cars and girls, though, really, innit. :shrug:

Peter
10-03-2017, 09:48 AM

That's ok though. Tapping into an american tradition is fine, particularly as he was from the back arse of nowhere. If you are born and raised in the posh part of Manhattan it would be a bit ****ing much.

Also, its Dylan. He can do whatever he likes and we can all go and **** ourselves.

Sir C
10-03-2017, 09:49 AM

My plan is to exist (I cannot say 'live') like this for three years, then get bang on it again when I'm 55 and peg out at 60 :cloud9:

Peter
10-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Just cars and girls, though, really, innit. :shrug:

Isn't everything?

His real skill as a writer is his ability to make the universal personal. Which is why a song about a dusty beach road on the Jersey shore rings so true with a chap who grew up in Palmers Green.

The car in a Springsteen song is NEVER actually a car. Its important to remember that.

Peter
10-03-2017, 09:50 AM

Isn't that what we normally refer to as growing up?

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:51 AM
My plan is to exist (I cannot say 'live') like this for three years, then get bang on it again when I'm 55 and peg out at 60 :cloud9:

You're going to start wiffling on about how much better your new, straight-edge lifestyle makes you feel, aren't you? :-(

Pokster
10-03-2017, 09:52 AM
You're going to start wiffling on about how much better your new, straight-edge lifestyle makes you feel, aren't you? :-(

He's started already

Sir C
10-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Oh Lord yes, and with a ridiculously smug, sanctimonious tone.

Burney
10-03-2017, 09:55 AM
That's ok though. Tapping into an american tradition is fine, particularly as he was from the back arse of nowhere. If you are born and raised in the posh part of Manhattan it would be a bit ****ing much.

Also, its Dylan. He can do whatever he likes and we can all go and **** ourselves.

I didn't say it detracted from his music, just that it makes his wild west obsession seem a bit odd. :shrug:

Peter
10-03-2017, 09:56 AM
I didn't say it detracted from his music, just that it makes his wild west obsession seem a bit odd. :shrug:

You attacked his authenticity, b. For many that would detract from the music.

Rich
10-03-2017, 09:58 AM
:hehe: ...dead again now it seems

Would you be cross with me if I were to tell you that today is the first time I have heard the name 'Tom Petty', that I am confused with the gushing going on over the news and that I couldn't name a single piece of music that he's performed?

Sir C
10-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Isn't that what we normally refer to as growing up?

Waiting to die, more like.

Peter
10-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Waiting to die, more like.

You say tomato....

Burney
10-03-2017, 10:02 AM
You attacked his authenticity, b. For many that would detract from the music.

For cùnts it might. :shrug: I'm an adult and have long since realised that 'authenticity' is a childish snare and a delusion. The idea of 'authenticity' in pop music is so absurd as to be funny, in fact. Do these people think less of Adam Ant because he wasn't really a pirate?

Peter
10-03-2017, 10:05 AM
For cùnts it might. :shrug: I'm an adult and have long since realised that 'authenticity' is a childish snare and a delusion. The idea of 'authenticity' in pop music is so absurd as to be funny, in fact. Do these people think less of Adam Ant because he wasn't really a pirate?

Agreed. However...... there is perhaps a higher standard when one writes songs as a vehicle for social change. In the same way, I care little if a politician wishes to spend an evening with coke and hoookers. If he spends his working day lecturing the rest of us on family values and drug law then I have a bit of an issue with it.

As I say, with Dylan is really doesnt matter at all. Did you see the fuss people made when they realised that Billy Bragg lives in a fairly large house?

Sir C
10-03-2017, 10:06 AM
You say tomato....

I most certainly do not.

Peter
10-03-2017, 10:09 AM
I most certainly do not.

Sorry, I thought you did. My mistake.

Ash
10-03-2017, 11:07 AM
No salt.

I dreamed that someone offered me a line which, as I snorted it, turned out to be orange caviar.

SWv2
10-03-2017, 12:30 PM

I would have thought TP was right up your musical street.

That is not an insult by the way, merely an observation. An incorrect one as it goes.

eastgermanautos
10-03-2017, 02:59 PM

You know, this is an interesting topic, and I am gathering materials for a script about it. It's not only an American problem though. In England in the 19th century there was a lot of striving after epic forms, romances. This required an assessment of whether something was legitimate. Macpherson's Ossian of course was not an ancient Gaelic text, but was a fake created by Macpherson himself. Not to say that the result is devoid of quality. I actually, dare I admit it, like Ossian.

I like the classic Springsteen but I wrestle with the unselective Springsteen. Who doesn't like Darlington County or Nebraska? It's that stuff he did in the 90s or early 2000s which is problematic. He uses the blue-collar mantle to start yammering on about post-9/11 themes. In other words, he's parodying himself. Because I had questions about the authenticity of the original, I have those questions doubly when it concerns something which feels tendentious, rabble-rousing, coercive to the norm.

He's very very talented, but can we decide what's good and what's not good. Can we say to Springsteen, No, sir. Not that one!

eastgermanautos
10-03-2017, 03:04 PM
I most certainly do not.

:hehe: .

Peter
10-03-2017, 03:35 PM
You know, this is an interesting topic, and I am gathering materials for a script about it. It's not only an American problem though. In England in the 19th century there was a lot of striving after epic forms, romances. This required an assessment of whether something was legitimate. Macpherson's Ossian of course was not an ancient Gaelic text, but was a fake created by Macpherson himself. Not to say that the result is devoid of quality. I actually, dare I admit it, like Ossian.

I like the classic Springsteen but I wrestle with the unselective Springsteen. Who doesn't like Darlington County or Nebraska? It's that stuff he did in the 90s or early 2000s which is problematic. He uses the blue-collar mantle to start yammering on about post-9/11 themes. In other words, he's parodying himself. Because I had questions about the authenticity of the original, I have those questions doubly when it concerns something which feels tendentious, rabble-rousing, coercive to the norm.

He's very very talented, but can we decide what's good and what's not good. Can we say to Springsteen, No, sir. Not that one!

I dont like Darlington County.

eastgermanautos
10-03-2017, 04:02 PM
I dont like Darlington County.

I don't believe you. It's you and Wayne, Pete, on the 4th of Jooly. :music:

Peter
10-03-2017, 06:07 PM
I don't believe you. It's you and Wayne, Pete, on the 4th of Jooly. :music:

Its another of his songs with disturbing references to young girls. Too many on that album....

Sir C
10-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Its another of his songs with disturbing references to young girls. Too many on that album....

There's nothing wrong with young girls, p. Your tastes are obviously more inclined towards the young boys, nad God knows there's nothing wrong with that, but young girls are also cool.

eastgermanautos
10-04-2017, 02:52 AM

It's a tale of young love thwarted by the friggin Po-lease.

Which, moreover, is followed by another song on the same topic, Workin on the Highway

Peter
10-04-2017, 08:24 AM
It's a tale of young love thwarted by the friggin Po-lease.

Which, moreover, is followed by another song on the same topic, Workin on the Highway

Yes, another that ranks alongside the worst he has ever recorded. In Working on the Highway he is actually arrested for what I assume is statutory rape.

As I dont believe he has ever personally fallen foul of this particular law, the song is not only dreadful and inappropriate, it also make him a bit of a fake. Claiming to be a ***** when he isn't. Typical!

Then we have the sexual predator in I'm On Fire, enquiringly as to whether the little girl's daddy is home. Its just all kinds of wrong.....

Peter
10-04-2017, 08:25 AM
There's nothing wrong with young girls, p. Your tastes are obviously more inclined towards the young boys, nad God knows there's nothing wrong with that, but young girls are also cool.

My tastes dont tend to extend to statutory rape. I am NOT Bill Wyman.....

Sir C
10-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Yes, another that ranks alongside the worst he has ever recorded. In Working on the Highway he is actually arrested for what I assume is statutory rape.

As I dont believe he has ever personally fallen foul of this particular law, the song is not only dreadful and inappropriate, it also make him a bit of a fake. Claiming to be a ***** when he isn't. Typical!

Then we have the sexual predator in I'm On Fire, enquiringly as to whether the little girl's daddy is home. Its just all kinds of wrong.....

Here we see the prudery of the radical left.

Burney
10-04-2017, 08:46 AM

It does refer to the World Trade Centres as well. Clear pre-figuring of his later, post-9/11 work, there.

Burney
10-04-2017, 08:47 AM

He's very honest in that song about his bedwetting problem, as well. I think we ought to applaud his bravery.

Peter
10-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Its prudish to find sex with underage girls a little off putting?

I suppose I should admit that I am only complaining because I hate the song. If Backstreets was about the same topic I would still love it.

Peter
10-04-2017, 09:05 AM
It does refer to the World Trade Centres as well. Clear pre-figuring of his later, post-9/11 work, there.

Specifically he claims that his father owns one of them. I have looked into this and believe it to be false.

Sir C
10-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Its prudish to find sex with underage girls a little off putting?

I suppose I should admit that I am only complaining because I hate the song. If Backstreets was about the same topic I would still love it.

Harriet Harmann is all in favour of such activities, I understand.

Peter
10-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Harriet Harmann is all in favour of such activities, I understand.

Huh??? Wddododod?

Burney
10-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Huh??? Wddododod?

Google Harriet Harman and PIE

Burney
10-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Specifically he claims that his father owns one of them. I have looked into this and believe it to be false.

Well it's certainly false now.

Sir C
10-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Huh??? Wddododod?

:nod: She's an enthusiastic supporter of the rights of elderly sweaty men to interfere with kiddies.

Lovely lady.

Peter
10-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Google Harriet Harman and PIE

Oh dear....

She once told me to 'get out of the ****ing way'. I didn't get out of the ****ing way.......

Peter
10-04-2017, 09:23 AM
:nod: She's an enthusiastic supporter of the rights of elderly sweaty men to interfere with kiddies.

Lovely lady.

Without question, one of the least popular people in Westminster, and for very good reason. A right arsehole.

eastgermanautos
10-04-2017, 03:41 PM

Oh god, this is ridiculous. The protagonists in each of these songs is probably like 18 or 19, and it's the Boss Man or else tyrannical patriarch who wants to put a clamp on it. Statutory rape comes into play if it's a grossly dissimilar age. What we are talking about, O man of the people, is a situation where some worker bloke can't make anything happen to change his life. He thinks, perhaps foolishly, that some little hottie is going to improve his lot or else validate his self-image. Poignant and mistaken but not grounds for disapproval.

Peter
10-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Oh god, this is ridiculous. The protagonists in each of these songs is probably like 18 or 19, and it's the Boss Man or else tyrannical patriarch who wants to put a clamp on it. Statutory rape comes into play if it's a grossly dissimilar age. What we are talking about, O man of the people, is a situation where some worker bloke can't make anything happen to change his life. He thinks, perhaps foolishly, that some little hottie is going to improve his lot or else validate his self-image. Poignant and mistaken but not grounds for disapproval.

Nah, he's a ***** :p

One song you could get away with. Three on the same album is practically a *****'s charter. A manifesto, almost.

Anyway, the songs are ****e.

redgunamo
10-06-2017, 03:17 PM
... he wasn't really a pirate?

Wasn't he? :-(

Ash
10-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Wasn't he? :-(

He had two drummers, though.

SWv2
10-06-2017, 03:46 PM

The current live ensemble for a very well-known and widely respected musical artist includes two drummers though one focuses more on percussion instruments other than drums as you and I would know them.

redgunamo
10-06-2017, 04:18 PM
The current live ensemble for a very well-known and widely respected musical artist includes two drummers though one focuses more on percussion instruments other than drums as you and I would know them.

That'd be Snowboy, I suppose?

redgunamo
10-06-2017, 04:21 PM

Exactly. And if that isn't pirate behaviour, I'm sure I don't know what is.

dismalswamp
10-07-2017, 11:07 AM
This was supposed to be a Tom Petty thread. What the **** has gone on?
I for one am a big fan. Enjoy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/tom-petty-performs-with-bob-dylan-axl-rose-stevie-nicks-w506797/swingin-1999-w506804

Ash
10-07-2017, 01:50 PM
This was supposed to be a Tom Petty thread. What the **** has gone on?

AWIMB doesn't work like that, Dismal.

Someone posts a thread about something, and people post on it what they are going to have for dinner, what's going on in other sports they like, and engaging in petty feuding.