PDA

View Full Version : So if those Krazy Katalans go ahead and declare independence, as threatened,

Sir C
10-02-2017, 11:34 AM
and the Spanish government refuses to accept such a declaration, one assumes that the autonomous government will be legally suspended and the Spanish state government will take over the region. It's a recipe for armed insurrection.

That'll give Mr Juncker something to take his mind off perfidious Albion.

Burney
10-02-2017, 11:41 AM
and the Spanish government refuses to accept such a declaration, one assumes that the autonomous government will be legally suspended and the Spanish state government will take over the region. It's a recipe for armed insurrection.

That'll give Mr Juncker something to take his mind off perfidious Albion.

It does seem hard to see a way out of the corners into which the two sides have boxed themselves. Presumably, the leaders of Catalonia will have to be jailed for treason. After all, what is illegal secession but treason? But then what if the Catalans go on mass strike or mass civil disobedience? After all, it's about the only part of Spain in which, were people to stop working, anyone would notice the difference.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 11:46 AM
It does seem hard to see a way out of the corners into which the two sides have boxed themselves. Presumably, the leaders of Catalonia will have to be jailed for treason. After all, what is illegal secession but treason? But then what if the Catalans go on mass strike or mass civil disobedience? After all, it's about the only part of Spain in which, were people to stop working, anyone would notice the difference.

Do they have an armed seperatist wing The CRA, perhaps? They seem to have a police and fire service loyal to the cause.

The last time they had a civil war in Spain it spawned some decent books, anyway.

IUFG
10-02-2017, 11:47 AM
The last time they had a civil war in Spain it spawned some decent books, anyway.

Well, reducing the Spanish population in the World wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Frightful, boorish, lazy cnuts to a man, I find.

Burney
10-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Do they have an armed seperatist wing The CRA, perhaps? They seem to have a police and fire service loyal to the cause.

I'm sure someone can smuggle them in a few guns if need be.

I'm not terribly keen on the idea of Western Europe Balkanising into a group of early modern statelets, but at the same time, the EU absolutely hates it, so it can't be all bad.

Also, given their behaviour vis-a-vis Gibraltar, I think the Spanish government is lucky we aren't wading in there recognising Catalonia's statehood just for shíts and giggles. I'd be tempted, I must say.

Oh, I do hope there isn't poetry like there was last time. That was very tedious. :-(

Burney
10-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Well, reducing the Spanish population in the World wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Decent grub and wine, mind.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Wash your mouth out i! Consider Alvaro, the Finest Human Being On God's Earth (to give him his full title.)

Alvaro :cloud9:

IUFG
10-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Decent grub and wine, mind.

agreed...the women make it all

Burney
10-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Wash your mouth out i! Consider Alvaro, the Finest Human Being On God's Earth (to give him his full title.)

Alvaro :cloud9:

I miss Alvaro. He was too nice for us. The only time I ever knew him get cross was during a discussion about Sir Francis Drake.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 12:03 PM
I miss Alvaro. He was too nice for us. The only time I ever knew him get cross was during a discussion about Sir Francis Drake.

He was a true gentleman. And furthermore, he could drink like an English gentleman. :clap:

Ash
10-02-2017, 01:08 PM

A few blokes with guns and explosives, financed by a wealthy backer or two can maintain a terrorist-style low-level insurgency but a full-on proper civil war with fronts and held territory and everything surely needs either a raid on a state armoury (Libya, for example, was plundered to provide the arms for Syrian rebels) and/or backing from a foreign power. Unless Catalonia has arms manufacturers.

Where did they get their weapons from last time?

Sir C
10-02-2017, 01:12 PM
A few blokes with guns and explosives, financed by a wealthy backer or two can maintain a terrorist-style low-level insurgency but a full-on proper civil war with fronts and held territory and everything surely needs either a raid on a state armoury (Libya, for example, was plundered to provide the arms for Syrian rebels) and/or backing from a foreign power. Unless Catalonia has arms manufacturers.

Where did they get their weapons from last time?

The Krauts supplied one side and the Russians the other.

One can imagine a similar arrangement today...

Tony C
10-02-2017, 01:56 PM
But in which league will Barcelona play their games?

France or England?

Ash
10-02-2017, 02:03 PM
But in which league will Barcelona play their games?

France or England?

Ooh. Scotland, please.

Burney
10-02-2017, 02:09 PM
Ooh. Scotland, please.

:hehe: That'd be good banter.

It's a point, though, isn't it? Despite all their protestations about being emblematic of Catalan identity, Barcelona are only relevant/wealthy/attractive as a club because they're in the Spanish League. Were Catalonia to secede and Barca were presumably no longer allowed to play in the Spanish League, they'd effectively cease to be relevant, wouldn't they? I mean, you can't play Espanyol every week.