PDA

View Full Version : Highly irritating yesterday.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Does anyone have a theory which might explain why, having gone 2-0 up, we decided to play the remaining 30 minutes at a walking pace? Brighton we there to be buried, and an extra 2 goals might, just might, make a difference at the end of the season.

PSRB
10-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Does anyone have a theory which might explain why, having gone 2-0 up, we decided to play the remaining 30 minutes at a walking pace? Brighton we there to be buried, and an extra 2 goals might, just might, make a difference at the end of the season.

I was thinking that, City would have gone for it and won by 5 or 6

SWv2
10-02-2017, 08:28 AM

I did not see the game as I was at Dublin Zoo but I believe the tactical substitutions effectively killed our game.

You know who made them don’t you?

Wenger OUT!

Burney
10-02-2017, 08:30 AM

With a few exceptions where we've absolutely torn people apart, we've always been a bit that way. One wonders whether AW's obsession with players being leetle beet short feesically means he instructs them to take their foot off the gas when he sees the game as won?

Luis Anaconda
10-02-2017, 08:37 AM
I did not see the game as I was at Dublin Zoo but I believe the tactical substitutions effectively killed our game.

You know who made them don’t you?

Wenger OUT!

Quite - I mean bringing on two players who have scored 207 goals for the club is definitely a silly move. I would stick to the zoo, mate. You are sounding like WES

Luis Anaconda
10-02-2017, 08:39 AM
It's a marathon not a sprint, dear boy. How many time have City started the season like this only to fade quickly. Playing the long game

Sir C
10-02-2017, 08:40 AM
It's a marathon not a sprint, dear boy. How many time have City started the season like this only to fade quickly. Playing the long game

As B suggests, conserving energy? Fair enough.

But if that lad's near post header had gone in with 5 minutes remaining we'd all have been shítting ourselves :-(

Luis Anaconda
10-02-2017, 08:41 AM

But if that lad's near post header had gone in with 5 minutes remaining we'd all have been shítting ourselves :-(

:hehe: I thought it had - wasn't happy at that point

Sir C
10-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Quite - I mean bringing on two players who have scored 207 goals for the club is definitely a silly move. I would stick to the zoo, mate. You are sounding like WES

Leave it, leave it now. We've all had a drink, (well you two have) so let's just calm it down, right?

Burney
10-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Leave it, leave it now. We've all had a drink, (well you two have) so let's just calm it down, right?

How was Wales, anyway? Was the weather wild and wooly?

SWv2
10-02-2017, 08:43 AM

Just repeating what I read :shrug:

Sir C
10-02-2017, 08:46 AM
How was Wales, anyway? Was the weather wild and wooly?

It was lovely. The weather was fine, just one day of rain. The house was delightful, walking excellent, scenery outstanding, locals friendly... my single gripe would be the paucity of quality, varied cooking ingredients. No Booths, no Waitrose, local butcher mediocre, you know the drill.

I even got to have dinner with Gaffer+, who send salaams to all. He is in fine form.

Burney
10-02-2017, 08:48 AM
It was lovely. The weather was fine, just one day of rain. The house was delightful, walking excellent, scenery outstanding, locals friendly... my single gripe would be the paucity of quality, varied cooking ingredients. No Booths, no Waitrose, local butcher mediocre, you know the drill.

I even got to have dinner with Gaffer+, who send salaams to all. He is in fine form.

And how was Moses when you got back? I've heard no news of him for weeks.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 09:04 AM
And how was Moses when you got back? I've heard no news of him for weeks.

He's good - just before we went away he was weighed and he'd doubled his bodyweight in 3 weeks. Now he's even bigger.

Min still wants him dead. It's a struggle.

SWv2
10-02-2017, 09:07 AM

Surely experience teaches you to bring certain things with you? Similar to how I used go to deepest Connemara with the family, one would bring all relevant foodstuffs and alcohol.

Burney
10-02-2017, 09:08 AM
He's good - just before we went away he was weighed and he'd doubled his bodyweight in 3 weeks. Now he's even bigger.

Min still wants him dead. It's a struggle.

Have you had the knackers off him, yet? That might calm her down.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Have you had the knackers off him, yet? That might calm her down.

Christ no, he's only 8 weeks old! I think the cods come off at 6 months or so. He'll be bigger than her bfore too long. That might calm her down a bit.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Surely experience teaches you to bring certain things with you? Similar to how I used go to deepest Connemara with the family, one would bring all relevant foodstuffs and alcohol.

I don't know on Friday what I will wish to eat on Monday, do I? I might fancy Korean fried chicken, in which case I would need to pack buttermilk, gochujang, sesame seeds and rice flour, but on the other hand I might favour Moroccan spiced lamb with pomegranate cous cous, in which case my gocuhujang would be of no assistance at all.

SWv2
10-02-2017, 09:17 AM
I don't know on Friday what I will wish to eat on Monday, do I? I might fancy Korean fried chicken, in which case I would need to pack buttermilk, gochujang, sesame seeds and rice flour, but on the other hand I might favour Moroccan spiced lamb with pomegranate cous cous, in which case my gocuhujang would be of no assistance at all.

You are dead to me.

Burney
10-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Christ no, he's only 8 weeks old! I think the cods come off at 6 months or so. He'll be bigger than her bfore too long. That might calm her down a bit.

I think it's a bit before six months, isn't it? Always best to do it early as poss imo. Before the poor chap starts to get too attached to them.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 09:21 AM
You are dead to me.

It is merely an example, sw. Although it's awfully good; just don't skimp on the mint and lemon juice.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 09:22 AM
I think it's a bit before six months, isn't it? Always best to do it early as poss imo. Before the poor chap starts to get too attached to them.

I don't think they actually remove them these days, do they? They just knot the tubes, I think. Bertie certainly still has a nice sac. He likes me to tickle it.

Burney
10-02-2017, 09:22 AM
It is merely an example, sw. Although it's awfully good; just don't skimp on the mint and lemon juice.

I've come to dislike pomegranate. I mean, it's really just pips, isn't it?

Burney
10-02-2017, 09:23 AM
I don't think they actually remove them these days, do they? They just knot the tubes, I think. Bertie certainly still has a nice sac. He likes me to tickle it.

You're a very disturbed man.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 09:24 AM
I've come to dislike pomegranate. I mean, it's really just pips, isn't it?

Well, it's little exploding bursts of flavour. I like it in moderation.

SWv2
10-02-2017, 09:24 AM

One of my very first acts upon coming into power would be to make the sale and consumption of ‘cous cous’ to be illegal.

You championing it does not surprise me however, not one jot.

I expect you got it from Nigel Slater. My final words.

Sir C
10-02-2017, 09:27 AM
One of my very first acts upon coming into power would be to make the sale and consumption of ‘cous cous’ to be illegal.

You championing it does not surprise me however, not one jot.

I expect you got it from Nigel Slater. My final words.

I have never got it from Nigel Slater.

I'm not keen on all that fiddly little grain-type nonsense, in general. Quinoa, freekeh, not for me, Clive.

However, herby, lemony pomegranate cous cous of a summer's evening is a wonderful thing. I stand by this view.

Burney
10-02-2017, 09:44 AM
I have never got it from Nigel Slater.

I'm not keen on all that fiddly little grain-type nonsense, in general. Quinoa, freekeh, not for me, Clive.

However, herby, lemony pomegranate cous cous of a summer's evening is a wonderful thing. I stand by this view.

Ugh. Imagine getting it from Nigel Slater. He'd be all slobbery, I reckon :-(

Sir C
10-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Ugh. Imagine getting it from Nigel Slater. He'd be all slobbery, I reckon :-(

I find him quite creepy. He has what my mother would have described as a lumpy face.

Burney
10-02-2017, 09:52 AM
I find him quite creepy. He has what my mother would have described as a lumpy face.

Me too. It's a very apt description and I know just what she meant. Lumps of face stuck together in a relatively random fashion.

Ash
10-02-2017, 12:59 PM
It was lovely. The weather was fine, just one day of rain. The house was delightful, walking excellent, scenery outstanding, locals friendly...

Glad to hear it :thumbup: Not as good as the lakes though, eh?

Ash
10-02-2017, 12:59 PM
I did not see the game as I was at Dublin Zoo

Were there tigers?

SWv2
10-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Were there tigers?

:nod:

Amur, big ****ers.

redgunamo
10-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Highly professional, imo; only interested in winning the game, rather than "making statements of intent" and whatnot.

redgunamo
10-08-2017, 12:06 PM
With a few exceptions where we've absolutely torn people apart, we've always been a bit that way. One wonders whether AW's obsession with players being leetle beet short feesically means he instructs them to take their foot off the gas when he sees the game as won?

Something like that, I think. As professionals, the next game always looms large in their collective conscience. They don't need to be told this.

It was a regular topic of discussion during the recent test match Summer; why it seemed teams nowadays struggled to chase down even modest first innings deficits (one or two statistics were even offered up as evidence). Personally though, I reckon it's simply because a pro quickly recognises a lost cause when he sees one (and then moves on), in a way that an amateur does not, or anyway, cares not to.

redgunamo
10-08-2017, 12:09 PM

You don't just do it for fun though. Only if there's a a threat of cancer (within the line) or something like that. Vets always advise it though, as it's a good, regular money-maker for them.

redgunamo
10-08-2017, 01:55 PM

True, but so long as that header doesn't go in, and we all sincerely hope it doesn't, then it's all cool.

One article I saw spoke of the Manchester clubs' incredible, almost unprecedented aggregate goals tally at the moment and what's caused it. I'm guessing it's simply that the cannon fodder they've played understand very well that these are not season-defining games for them and they'd be better off saving themselves for matches that are.

Ash
10-09-2017, 12:22 PM
True, but so long as that header doesn't go in, and we all sincerely hope it doesn't, then it's all cool.

One article I saw spoke of the Manchester clubs' incredible, almost unprecedented aggregate goals tally at the moment and what's caused it. I'm guessing it's simply that the cannon fodder they've played understand very well that these are not season-defining games for them and they'd be better off saving themselves for matches that are.

The old "roll-over syndrome", eh?

Yes, I expect we'll roll over at OT again, tbh.

World's End Stella
10-09-2017, 12:39 PM

The family WES has decided to spend three days in the Lakes this very Dec (27-29 so that you might adjust your schedule accordingly had you planned on going).

Happy to receive any suggested walks for that time of year. Ideally they would be a little bit challenging but not murderous given the two junior WESs will be with me. And of course, they should end next to a pub. :-)

Cheers.

Ash
10-09-2017, 12:44 PM
The family WES has decided to spend three days in the Lakes this very Dec (27-29 so that you might adjust your schedule accordingly had you planned on going).

Happy to receive any suggested walks for that time of year. Ideally they would be a little bit challenging but not murderous given the two junior WESs will be with me. And of course, they should end next to a pub. :-)

Cheers.

It's ok, I'm going a couple of weeks before that, but thanks for the warning. :thumbup: Where are you staying?

Sir C
10-09-2017, 12:45 PM

No, not as good, for indefinable reasons, I thought. I kept thinking things like 'It's not as cosy as the Lakes, it's not as comforting, it just doesn't feel like home...'

The Welshness, perhaps.

Sir C
10-09-2017, 12:48 PM

Cheers.

Bill Birkett is your friend in this matter. http://billbirkett.com/bill-birkett/

World's End Stella
10-09-2017, 02:11 PM
It's ok, I'm going a couple of weeks before that, but thanks for the warning. :thumbup: Where are you staying?

Just outside Ambleside in a gastro pubby called The Drunken Duck.

Rooms and restaurants are sorted, now I just need the walks and the pubs.

World's End Stella
10-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Bill Birkett is your friend in this matter. http://billbirkett.com/bill-birkett/

I shall have a look, many thanks Dutchie. :thumbup:

Sir C
10-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Very nice, The Drunken Duck. There's a lovely view from across the road of Ambleside nestling in its valley like a hen sitting on a clutch of precious eggs.

The food can err on the side of pretension, mind.

Sir C
10-09-2017, 02:15 PM
I shall have a look, many thanks Dutchie. :thumbup:

That website looks awfully confusing. Just order his Ambleside walks book from Aamzon and you'll be golden :thumbup:

PSRB
10-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Very nice, The Drunken Duck. There's a lovely view from across the road of Ambleside nestling in its valley like a hen sitting on a clutch of precious eggs.

Very cosy though

Ash
10-09-2017, 02:38 PM

Loughrigg Fell is a nice low, safe and undemanding one near Ambleside with some pleasant wandering on its broad top. You can drop down to Grasmere and Rydall Water on the other side. Pubs in Grasmere village.

Sir C
10-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Very cosy though

I wonder if the rooms are nice? I've never stayed there.

PSRB
10-09-2017, 03:08 PM
I wonder if the rooms are nice? I've never stayed there.

Look a bit on the bland side https://drunkenduckinn.co.uk/gallery/

World's End Stella
10-09-2017, 03:28 PM

About the same as LRK, I think. Which we shall also be providing with our custom. :cloud9:

World's End Stella
10-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Loughrigg Fell is a nice low, safe and undemanding one near Ambleside with some pleasant wandering on its broad top. You can drop down to Grasmere and Rydall Water on the other side. Pubs in Grasmere village.

Chaws, I shall have a look

Sir C
10-09-2017, 03:36 PM
About the same as LRK, I think. Which we shall also be providing with our custom. :cloud9:

I don't think you'll find the food comparable, to be honest.

If LRK are doing that pork chop... I'll be jealous.

World's End Stella
10-09-2017, 03:47 PM
I don't think you'll find the food comparable, to be honest.

If LRK are doing that pork chop... I'll be jealous.

I was referring to the pretense, not the food. I've eaten at DD several times and LRK is better, and more interesting. DD is still very good, of course.