PDA

View Full Version : I did have a little chuckle when Berni said

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-27-2017, 03:15 PM
"The holocaust must keep you on your toes" to Monty about being jewish.

You can be living in a modern, wealthy civilised nation; the land of Beethoven, Brecht, Nietsche and Einstein to name a few and along comes one shouty charismatic and suddenly your shops and houses are being burned and vandalised and you're being bantered off into gas chambers with six million of your cousins.

I guess it would make you a little pensive.

Burney
09-27-2017, 03:26 PM

You can be living in a modern, wealthy civilised nation; the land of Beethoven, Brecht, Nietsche and Einstein to name a few and along comes one shouty charismatic and suddenly your shops and houses are being burned and vandalised and you're being bantered off into gas chambers with six million of your cousins.

:nod: The weirdest thing is how ready people are to forget that context. If you point out that one of the most advanced nations on earth deciding it would be a good idea to wipe out their entire race within living memory might possibly have an effect on how Jews see the world, you can almost see people rolling their eyes as if to say 'Ugh! Not that again! It was ages ago. Can't they bloody well let it go, ffs?"

Oh, and it's 'Nietzsche', btw. No need to thank me.

Ash
09-27-2017, 03:52 PM
:nod: The weirdest thing is how ready people are to forget that context. If you point out that one of the most advanced nations on earth deciding it would be a good idea to wipe out their entire race within living memory might possibly have an effect on how Jews see the world, you can almost see people rolling their eyes as if to say 'Ugh! Not that again! It was ages ago. Can't they bloody well let it go, ffs?"

Oh, and it's 'Nietzsche', btw. No need to thank me.

I think it helps to understand why Israel has such a ... robust approach to it's perceived security interests, whether its actions are fair or not.

Burney
09-27-2017, 04:08 PM
I think it helps to understand why Israel has such a ... robust approach to it's perceived security interests, whether its actions are fair or not.

Quite. 'Fair' doesn't really enter into it if you quite justifiably believe that the successful defence of your nation is an existential matter for your entire race.

Monty92
09-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Yes, but it would be misleading to claim that israel's defence policy is dictated entirely by its justified paranoia. There's votes to be won by being ****s to Palestinians just for the giggles, after all.

Saying that, I've always found it hard to get my head around quite how secular Israelis tend to be. They are often at pains to point this out, in my experience.

Quite. 'Fair' doesn't really enter into it if you quite justifiably believe that the successful defence of your nation is an existential matter for your entire race.

eastgermanautos
09-27-2017, 06:57 PM

Spell Nietzsche right you non-alcoholic punk!

eastgermanautos
09-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Yes, but it would be misleading to claim that israel's defence policy is dictated entirely by its justified paranoia. There's votes to be won by being ****s to Palestinians just for the giggles, after all.

Saying that, I've always found it hard to get my head around quite how secular Israelis tend to be. They are often at pains to point this out, in my experience.

I kind of liked Israel when I visited. This was down to several factors. The (a) hot chicks; (b) good quality falafel stands; and (c) the fact that they spoke my language (approximately). Damn Greece is depressing, because a lot of them don't speak English, and because they're generally a bunch of illiterate peasants, bearing no relation to their illustrious forefathers.

Ash
09-27-2017, 10:13 PM
I kind of liked Israel when I visited. This was down to several factors. The (a) hot chicks; (b) good quality falafel stands; and (c) the fact that they spoke my language (approximately). Damn Greece is depressing, because a lot of them don't speak English, and because they're generally a bunch of illiterate peasants, bearing no relation to their illustrious forefathers.

Just say "Endaxi" a lot. You'll be fine.

Donald
09-28-2017, 05:41 AM

with six million.

Six million? LOL

World's End Stella
09-28-2017, 08:58 AM

Greece is the worst of the civilized European nations. Awful, boring food served by miserable, unhappy people in a crumbling, backdated setting.

Greece is sh1t.

Monty92
09-28-2017, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4180342]Greece is the worst of the civilized European nations. Awful, boring food served by miserable, unhappy people in a crumbling, backdated setting.

Greece is sh1t.[/QUOT

That view of the caldera from Santorini, though :cloud9:

Pokster
09-28-2017, 09:04 AM
Greece is the worst of the civilized European nations. Awful, boring food served by miserable, unhappy people in a crumbling, backdated setting.

Greece is sh1t.

I refer you tio previous comments that you have made on greece... basically, you don't know what you are talking about

World's End Stella
09-28-2017, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4180342]Greece is the worst of the civilized European nations. Awful, boring food served by miserable, unhappy people in a crumbling, backdated setting.

Greece is sh1t.[/QUOT

That view of the caldera from Santorini, though :cloud9:

Well, yes, no matter how much you hate Greece the harbor view in Santorini is difficult to argue with.

Shame the people charging you extortionate prices for drink and food while you're sat there are Greeks, though.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-28-2017, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=Monty92;4180343]

Well, yes, no matter how much you hate Greece the harbor view in Santorini is difficult to argue with.

Shame the people charging you extortionate prices for drink and food while you're sat there are Greeks, though.

10 chars up yer big wide canadian arse

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Six million? LOL

What are you LOLing about you fúcking quarter-wit

World's End Stella
09-28-2017, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4180347]

10 chars up yer big wide canadian arse

No, as usual you are incorrect, Herb. Do you never tire of this particular phenomena? Still, I'm sure you're magic with Java.

There is a resort two hours outside Dubai which has wonderful weather, superb food and incredibly attentive and helpful staff so each year my family and I go there for 8-10 days to relax and get some sun.

'Ave it.

Burney
09-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Six million? LOL

Did you enjoy the Labour Party Conference?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-28-2017, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE=Herbert Augustus Chapman;4180349]

No, as usual you are incorrect, Herb. Do you never tire of this particular phenomena? Still, I'm sure you're magic with Java.

There is a resort two hours outside Dubai which has wonderful weather, superb food and incredibly attentive and helpful staff so each year my family and I go there for 8-10 days to relax and get some sun.

'Ave it.

drive along a coastal road that would shame the Amalfi. Can you have the attentive staff whipped if they displease you?

If it's particular it's a phemenon :titsup:

SWv2
09-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Greece is sh1t.

I took my holidays many times when younger on Greek islands and always found them to be nothing but perfectly fit for purpose.

Ios, Paros, Corfu, Zante.

Cheap booze and chicks mad for Irish cock, bang on.

Ash
09-28-2017, 11:53 AM
I took my holidays many times when younger on Greek islands and always found them to be nothing but perfectly fit for purpose.

Ios, Paros, Corfu, Zante.

Cheap booze and chicks mad for Irish cock, bang on.

Are you enjoying your week free of racial abuse?

SWv2
09-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Are you enjoying your week free of racial abuse?

It has been refreshing :nod:

Burney
09-28-2017, 12:10 PM
It has been refreshing :nod:

It's OK, sw. I just texted Sir C. He's asked me to call you an inbred bogtrotter and to ask you if you enjoyed your breakfast gallon of Guinness. :thumbup:

Pokster
09-28-2017, 12:27 PM
It's OK, sw. I just texted Sir C. He's asked me to call you an inbred bogtrotter and to ask you if you enjoyed your breakfast gallon of Guinness. :thumbup:

When is the clogg wearing tulip eating Dutch coont back on here