PDA

View Full Version : Cherie Blair's Dad's Dead.

Burney
09-26-2017, 11:02 AM
He comes under the heading 'People I thought died years ago', if I'm honest.

Monty92
09-26-2017, 11:07 AM
He comes under the heading 'People I thought died years ago', if I'm honest.

Shame he'll be shunted off the news agenda by Vera Duckworth

Burney
09-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Shame he'll be shunted off the news agenda by Vera Duckworth

Meh. By all accounts he was a bit of a prick anyway.

SWv2
09-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Meh. By all accounts he was a bit of a prick anyway.

Should we know who he is over and above Cherie Blair's dad?

Burney
09-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Should we know who he is over and above Cherie Blair's dad?

He played the Scouse Git son-in-law in Till Death Us Do Part and was also in the Confessions series of sex comedies with Sex God Robin Askwith in the 1970s.

SWv2
09-26-2017, 11:32 AM
He played the Scouse Git son-in-law in Till Death Us Do Part and was also in the Confessions series of sex comedies with Sex God Robin Askwith in the 1970s.

Yes, I have just googled the chap and his face is somewhat familiar although I am not familiar with either show you mention.

RIP I suppose.

Burney
09-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Yes, I have just googled the chap and his face is somewhat familiar although I am not familiar with either show you mention.

RIP I suppose.

I've always thought hoping that people rest in peace when they're dead is an odd thing. What else are they going to do? They're dead. Was do they think the dead are going to do? Get up and start filing their income tax returns? :shrug:

SWv2
09-26-2017, 11:41 AM
I've always thought hoping that people rest in peace when they're dead is an odd thing. What else are they going to do? They're dead. Was do they think the dead are going to do? Get up and start filing their income tax returns? :shrug:

Quite, but it is the done thing isn't it.

Person dies, you offer your "RIP" condolence. Even when genuinely you don't give a ****.

Ash
09-26-2017, 11:55 AM

Possibly something to do with the belief in some quarters that there is some sort of 'afterlife' which might involve some negative aspects such as being tortured by fire for all eternity, or even worse, having to file tax returns.

Burney
09-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Possibly something to do with the belief in some quarters that there is some sort of 'afterlife' which might involve some negative aspects such as being tortured by fire for all eternity, or even worse, having to file tax returns.

Well that only works if you assume that everyone in heaven is just sitting around resting, surely? What about active people in heaven? What are they supposed to do?

SWv2
09-26-2017, 12:13 PM

Seemed to be a lot of empty seats last night, a lot of seats that were not available for general sale.

Monty92
09-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Well that only works if you assume that everyone in heaven is just sitting around resting, surely? What about active people in heaven? What are they supposed to do?

This is where Islam got one thing right, at least. Commendable attention to detail when it comes to things to do in paradise.

Peter
09-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Hang on. Afterlife or no, surely all religions believe that tax liability ends with what we generally recognise as death?

Aside from inheritance tax, obviously.

Ash
09-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Play harps all day, I think. Given a choice between that and the inferno I think that the peaceful, restful, infinite sleep of atheistic non-existence is quite attractive.

Ash
09-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Seemed to be a lot of empty seats last night, a lot of seats that were not available for general sale.

Probably, yes. Lots of empties in my row but low attendances are the new normal really, so I've almost stopped noticing. Might it be possible that the club is no under obligation (either from the authorities or self-imposed) to stop general sale because of the Cologne scenario?

SWv2
09-26-2017, 01:24 PM
Probably, yes. Lots of empties in my row but low attendances are the new normal really, so I've almost stopped noticing. Might it be possible that the club is no under obligation (either from the authorities or self-imposed) to stop general sale because of the Cologne scenario?

Well when I said General Sale naturally I meant for Silver and Red members.

I had checked early last week to see if I could sell the WBA match ticket on behalf of a friend (who has my ST annually) but because it was not a sell-out I was precluded. There was numerous seats available to purchase in the upper tiers but none that I was aware of in the lower.

On the television there was a lot of empty LT seats.

It is probably to be expected mind you.

I am over for Spurs by the way so maybe pints are the post-game order of the day. Commiseration pints naturally.

Ash
09-26-2017, 01:56 PM
I am over for Spurs by the way so maybe pints are the post-game order of the day. Commiseration pints naturally.

So you picked the game most likely to cause pain. Very brave of you. I presume you are not inflicting this on your son though.

SWv2
09-26-2017, 02:14 PM
So you picked the game most likely to cause pain. Very brave of you. I presume you are not inflicting this on your son though.

God no, his trip shall be a more sedate and less violent affair, maybe one also where victory is more likely.

The lad celebrated AL’s first goal last night as if it were Michael Thomas in 1989, full kit head to toe* with our new Gallic goal hero’s name and number on the back.

*we had just returned from training, it wasn’t specifically for the match

NLD is my favourite game of the season as it goes, love it.

Luis Anaconda
09-26-2017, 03:17 PM
God no, his trip shall be a more sedate and less violent affair, maybe one also where victory is more likely.

The lad celebrated AL’s first goal last night as if it were Michael Thomas in 1989, full kit head to toe* with our new Gallic goal hero’s name and number on the back.

*we had just returned from training, it wasn’t specifically for the match

NLD is my favourite game of the season as it goes, love it.
I may be in town for that one

SWv2
09-26-2017, 03:39 PM
I may be in town for that one

Yeah, I meant Southampton or was it Hull.

:-|