PDA

View Full Version : The NFL certainly turned up some cracking entertainment yesterday

PSRB
09-25-2017, 09:03 AM
This being the highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQLAprgywcI

Peter
09-25-2017, 09:09 AM
This being the highlight

Americans are seriously ****ing weird about their flag. ;)

They need to calm down.

PSRB
09-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Americans are seriously ****ing weird about their flag. ;)

They need to calm down.

Oh God, yes. Almost like they have no identity and this is what they cling on to

Burney
09-25-2017, 09:17 AM
This being the highlight

Why did the dozy cünt stop running?

Burney
09-25-2017, 09:19 AM
Oh God, yes. Almost like they have no identity and this is what they cling on to

I hope for your sake that Chief isn't about to hear you say that. He runs Old Glory up every morning and lowers it every night, I seem to recall. Gets very tetchy if you take the pïss.

I can't imagine ever going out and buying a flagpole, tbh. It seems deeply weird.

Luis Anaconda
09-25-2017, 09:20 AM
:hehe: That is an absolute shocker

PSRB
09-25-2017, 09:21 AM

That is the question, b. I going to go with being a cocky b'stard and not realising that he still had guys chasing him down. He got lucky as the Bears still won.

SWv2
09-25-2017, 09:26 AM
I can't imagine ever going out and buying a flagpole, tbh. It seems deeply weird.

I do think it very odd when you see Yankee suburbia in films and they have flags outside their homes. I used think it was exaggerated for effect but not so.

They also have a very curious predilection for calling people “Sir” and an utterly fúcking bizarre sense of regard for people who “have served” in the forces.

There is one house I can think of with a flag pole, just as you come into Dun Laoghaire. I have always just assumed they are nutters.

PSRB
09-25-2017, 09:30 AM
I do think it very odd when you see Yankee suburbia in films and they have flags outside their homes. I used think it was exaggerated for effect but not so.

They also have a very curious predilection for calling people “Sir” and an utterly fúcking bizarre sense of regard for people who “have served” in the forces.

There is one house I can think of with a flag pole, just as you come into Dun Laoghaire. I have always just assumed they are nutters.

House at the bottom of my parent's road has one, they just fly random flags such as California State, Jolly Roger, F1 teams, etc

SWv2
09-25-2017, 09:31 AM
House at the bottom of my parent's road has one, they just fly random flags such as California State, Jolly Roger, F1 teams, etc

Are you not tempted to knock the door and politely ask "what the fúck?".

Burney
09-25-2017, 09:32 AM

That's the thing, though, isn't it? Over here, if you see a private citizen purchasing a flagpole, it's a pretty fair bet he's a thoroughgoing cock with some deeply unpleasant views. It's just not something a normal human would ever do. Over there, it's seen as perfectly normal.

Monty92
09-25-2017, 09:40 AM
That's the thing, though, isn't it? Over here, if you see a private citizen purchasing a flagpole, it's a pretty fair bet he's a thoroughgoing cock with some deeply unpleasant views. It's just not something a normal human would ever do. Over there, it's seen as perfectly normal.

That's a rather metropolitan view, is it not? :-O

Burney
09-25-2017, 09:46 AM
That's a rather metropolitan view, is it not? :-O

Dunno. :shrug: It's my view. I've always found flag fetishism weird. It seems to me that the only reason to fly a flag in this country is to advertise something about yourself and your views.

Ash
09-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Dunno. :shrug: It's my view. I've always found flag fetishism weird. It seems to me that the only reason to fly a flag in this country is to advertise something about yourself and your views.

Not much need to do that now though, is there? Much easier to open a facebook account and start signalling.

Monty92
09-25-2017, 09:51 AM

I certainly used to feel this way, but I think the inclination to wave a flag has broadened out to non-swivel eyed loons too; people who simply want to reassert the belief that there's nothing wrong with patriotism and that they object to mass immigration.

Monty92
09-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Not much need to do that now though, is there? Much easier to open a facebook account and start signalling.

Well on Twitter, certainly, you often see people with Union Jack/St George's cross symbols by their name. Virtue signalling, perhaps, but maybe the good kind?

SWv2
09-25-2017, 09:53 AM
Well on Twitter, certainly, you often see people with Union Jack/St George's cross symbols by their name.

Tricky one all the same innit.

A chap may stick a few of your Georges Cross flags out the window during a World Cup finals and he will be lambasted for this.

We’re mad for football/sport related flags over here. Not me I should add but neighbours may have them out for weeks on end, perhaps too lazy to just bring them in after the first match.

No flag poles mind, just lashed out the front window.

Ash
09-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Well on Twitter, certainly, you often see people with Union Jack/St George's cross symbols by their name. Virtue signalling, perhaps, but maybe the good kind?

Well, 'good' is obviously a value judgement and patriotism can certainly have both a good and a bad kind IMO. Like many old things with new names, virtue-signalling is as old as the hills, and done by all sides.

Monty92
09-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Well, 'good' is obviously a value judgement and patriotism can certainly have both a good and a bad kind IMO. Like many old things with new names, virtue-signalling is as old as the hills, and done by all sides.

Perhaps, but I don't think it's controversial to say that virtue-signalling is intrinsic to the modus operandi of a certain type of lefty, whereas it is by no means as important to either the identity or the motivations of your average rightist.

Peter
09-25-2017, 10:09 AM
I certainly used to feel this way, but I think the inclination to wave a flag has broadened out to non-swivel eyed loons too; people who simply want to reassert the belief that there's nothing wrong with patriotism and that they object to mass immigration.

I think the difference is that it isn't really seen as the natural or necessary symbol of patriotism. Our patriotism is rather more subtle than that.

There are sound reasons for the US attaching such importance to symbols (flags, anthem, military) and it is to do with the federal structure of the union and the sheer size of the country. They need this stuff because little else binds the together.

We have a rather different view of what our country is and those symbols are not really needed.

That said, they are ****ing weird about it. THey almost treat it as a battle flag.

Peter
09-25-2017, 10:10 AM
Perhaps, but I don't think it's controversial to say that virtue-signalling is intrinsic to the modus operandi of a certain type of lefty, whereas it is by no means as important to either the identity or the motivations of your average rightist.

So right wing signalling is the good kind?

Monty92
09-25-2017, 10:17 AM
So right wing signalling is the good kind?

Well I think right wing virtue signalling is a very different animal, and a far more palatable one, yes.

Peter
09-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Well I think right wing virtue signalling is a very different animal, and a far more palatable one, yes.

Interesting.....

PSRB
09-25-2017, 10:39 AM
Are you not tempted to knock the door and politely ask "what the fúck?".

I assume they're attempting to be humerous. I don't think these are people I wish to enter any form of dialogue with

PSRB
09-25-2017, 10:40 AM

The only place you see flags frequently in this country is Cornwall......and they're all clearly mental

World's End Stella
09-25-2017, 12:53 PM
That is the question, b. I going to go with being a cocky b'stard and not realising that he still had guys chasing him down. He got lucky as the Bears still won.

Leon Lett did that for the Cowboys many years ago.

In the Super Bowl. :hehe:

Mind you, we were about 30 points up at the time anyway.

eastgermanautos
09-25-2017, 03:30 PM
This being the highlight

Yes, if they hadn't still won that guy would be toast. On the other hand, Aaron Rodgers gettin' it done.

bbrian
09-25-2017, 03:39 PM
Yes, if they hadn't still won that guy would be toast. On the other hand, Aaron Rodgers gettin' it done.

Anybody else get it done ega??? Say it! :-)