PDA

View Full Version : AWIMB Bob Dylan suggestions - WES's review

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Senor - 6/10, I liked it despite it not being a typical Dylan song, awfully long for a song of this style though

Xmas song - 0/10, frivolous nonsense from Dutchie, to be expected really

Tom Thumb's Blues - 7/10, might be higher soon as I like it more each time I listen to it, surprisingly good recommendation from someone who likes Springsteen

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - 5/10, bit dull, will need to listen to it more

Simple Twist of Fate - 6/10, it's OK but hasn't blown me away yet, it comes from someone who listens to Weller so has massively exceed my expectations

Desolation Row - 8/10, had forgotten how good this and Highway 61 Revisited generally is

Romance in Durango - 7/10, like Senor not particularly Dylanesque but I liked it

Hurricane - 7/10, good but could end up loving this one so might go higher

Any other recommendations gratefully received. :thumbup:

Ash
09-20-2017, 09:04 AM

All Along the Watchtower (Hendrix's version).

Luis Anaconda
09-20-2017, 09:20 AM
Senor - 6/10, I liked it despite it not being a typical Dylan song, awfully long for a song of this style though

Tom Thumb's Blues - 7/10, might be higher soon as I like it more each time I listen to it, surprisingly good recommendation from someone who likes Springsteen

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - 5/10, bit dull, will need to listen to it more

Simple Twist of Fate - 6/10, it's OK but hasn't blown me away yet, it comes from someone who listens to Weller so has massively exceed my expectations

Desolation Row - 8/10, had forgotten how good this and Highway 61 Revisited generally is

Romance in Durango - 7/10, like Senor not particularly Dylanesque but I liked it

Yes but what about Morrissey's* new song

*to find out who Morrissey is google "Morrissey"

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Yes but what about Morrissey's* new song

*to find out who Morrissey is google "Morrissey"

I know who Morrissey is. He was with The Smiths.

And The Smiths are the band that someone once described as 'they're the type of band you like until you grow up and realize that they're sh1t'.

Couldn't agree more.

Luis Anaconda
09-20-2017, 09:28 AM

And The Smiths are the band that someone once described as 'they're the type of band you like until you grow up and realize that they're sh1t'.

Couldn't agree more.

:hehe: I've got that the wrong way round - I hated them in the 80s and learned to like them much later (which helped when being dragged to see the Smyths tribute band on several occasions and Morrissey himself once

Ash
09-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Couldn't agree more.

Never was a fan of Morrissey, to put it mildly. The flowers-sticking-out-of-his-arse-kunt. He once walked off stage at a festival because he could smell sausages.

Johnny Marr was a good guitarist though.

Peter
09-20-2017, 09:45 AM

If you want the seriously good stuff, I can give you that. I just assumed other people would do it.

I mean, Tangled Up in Blue is pretty good.

Luis Anaconda
09-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Never was a fan of Morrissey, to put it mildly. The flowers-sticking-out-of-his-arse-kunt. He once walked off stage at a festival because he could smell sausages.

Johnny Marr was a good guitarist though.

It was always the hype around him I hated - speaking of which is this peak NME

http://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-first-tweet-2142367

Ash
09-20-2017, 10:01 AM
It was always the hype around him I hated - speaking of which is this peak NME

http://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-first-tweet-2142367

:hehe:

Nothing much seems to have changed there over the last 30 years.

Apart from having to give it away, of course. But even that's not such a bad thing if you are George Osborne.

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 10:04 AM
If you want the seriously good stuff, I can give you that. I just assumed other people would do it.

Please do although I was never a fan of Tangled Up in Blue.

I've got all the main ones, It's All Over Now, Baby Blue, Lay, Lady, Lay, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, It Aint Me Babe, All Along the Watchtower plus the obvious Rolling Stone, Times They are a Changing etc

Burney
09-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Please do although I was never a fan of Tangled Up in Blue.

I've got all the main ones, It's All Over Now, Baby Blue, Lay, Lady, Lay, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, It Aint Me Babe, All Along the Watchtower plus the obvious Rolling Stone, Times They are a Changing etc

I'm not really sure how one would go about not being a fan of Tangled Up In Blue, tbh. :-(

I mean, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts aside, there isn't a bad song on the whole album, is there?

Sir C
09-20-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm not really sure how one would go about not being a fan of Tangled Up In Blue, tbh. :-(

I mean, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts aside, there isn't a bad song on the whole album, is there?

I certainly features some top quality nose-singing #adenoidboy

Pokster
09-20-2017, 10:21 AM

Is this a good time to say that I don't like any Dylan track i have ever heard :hide:

Burney
09-20-2017, 10:23 AM
I certainly features some top quality nose-singing #adenoidboy

Yes. 'Idiot Wind' being the prime example of the Bobular Nasal Art.

Burney
09-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Is this a good time to say that I don't like any Dylan track i have ever heard :hide:

I think we'd all assumed you weren't likely to say anything positive, p. :shrug:

Pokster
09-20-2017, 10:26 AM
I think we'd all assumed you weren't likely to say anything positive, p. :shrug:

Just posted a positive review of Rob Brydon from last night :vsign:

Ash
09-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Or when, according to the fillum, Morrison says to Manzarek "But I can't sing" to which Manzarek replies "That's ok, nor can Dylan"

SWv2
09-20-2017, 10:32 AM

From a more modern BD angle I suggest Spirit on the Water from Modern Times.

Peter
09-20-2017, 11:37 AM

Well, now that you mention it I may as well say that the problem here is thee notion of the playlist. Dylan should be enjoyed by the album, not some random selection. Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Highway 61, Bringing it all Back Home and most important of all, The Freewheeling Bob Dylan.

Playlists can go whistle. Obviously its fine to skip Lily, Rosemary and the JAck of Hearts.

SWv2
09-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Well, now that you mention it I may as well say that the problem here is thee notion of the playlist. Dylan should be enjoyed by the album, not some random selection. Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Highway 61, Bringing it all Back Home and most important of all, The Freewheeling Bob Dylan.

Playlists can go whistle. Obviously its fine to skip Lily, Rosemary and the JAck of Hearts.

In general or simply in relation to this artist / a single artist.

Bit too modern a concept for you Pedro?

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 12:20 PM

I was referring to the song itself not Blood on the Tracks. I've just never taken to the song.

And as it's been a while I've just given it another listen. Nope, still don't like it. :shrug:

Peter
09-20-2017, 12:24 PM
In general or simply in relation to this artist / a single artist.

Bit too modern a concept for you Pedro?

It is a bit, yes. It was bad enough when CDs arrived and destroyed the notion of a song closing side 1 and opening side 2. Now you have people letting a piece of software choose random songs from an artist. It is obviously worse with someone like Dylan's who has a huge back catalogue but the principle itself is concerning.

Imagine leaping from Highway Patrolman to Glory Days. It is just several kinds of wrong.

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Update:

Simple twist of Fate - 7/10, just listened to it after Tangled Up in Blue and it's growing on me

Perhaps the fact that it was offered up by a lover of the Woking lesbian clouded my judgement :rubchin:

Peter
09-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Update:

Simple twist of Fate - 7/10, just listened to it after Tangled Up in Blue and it's growing on me

Perhaps the fact that it was offered up by a lover of the Woking lesbian clouded my judgement :rubchin:

Keep going. Lets get to Idiot Wind and regroup.

Luis Anaconda
09-20-2017, 12:27 PM
It is a bit, yes. It was bad enough when CDs arrived and destroyed the notion of a song closing side 1 and opening side 2. Now you have people letting a piece of software choose random songs from an artist. It is obviously worse with someone like Dylan's who has a huge back catalogue but the principle itself is concerning.

Imagine leaping from Highway Patrolman to Glory Days. It is just several kinds of wrong.
Presumably you walk out of any concert when an artist doesn't play songs in album order then?

Pokster
09-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Presumably you walk out of any concert when an artist doesn't play songs in album order then?

I went to see Blur a number of years ago... was when the "best of" had come out, they played the whole album in the order they appeared

Peter
09-20-2017, 12:30 PM

Well that is a live show and therefore totally different. One expects an artist to create a set list that makes sense and creates an atmosphere. One also expects them to create versions of the songs that work in the set list.

Either way, it is the artist dictating the selection, not a machine.

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 12:31 PM
Well that is a live show and therefore totally different. One expects an artist to create a set list that makes sense and creates an atmosphere. One also expects them to create versions of the songs that work in the set list.

Playlists aren't dictated by a machine but by demand from the customer. And quite right, too.

You're dated on this one, Peter old bean.

Peter
09-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Playlists aren't dictated by a machine but by demand from the customer. And quite right, too.

You're dated on this one, Peter old bean.

Oh, I know that. Its entirely my problem. And you are right, I was thinking of a random selection.

Nevertheless, I stand by everything I said. ;)

SWv2
09-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Wrong.

A playlist will have been lovingly made by a person, a curator if you will.

I will often create a playlist of maybe a 100 plus tunes by numerous artists and indeed genres, then use the shuffle option with utter abandon and just enjoy hours of unfettered listening. It is the randomness of artist selection which keeps you on your musical toes as such - one minute it's Weller, then maybe The Jam and then it could jump to early Style Council.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Wrong.

A playlist will have been lovingly made by a person, a curator if you will.

I will often create a playlist of maybe a 100 plus tunes by numerous artists and indeed genres, then use the shuffle option with utter abandon and just enjoy hours of unfettered listening. It is the randomness of artist selection which keeps you on your musical toes as such - one minute it's Weller, then maybe The Jam and then it could jump to early Style Council.

Such range and variety

Luis Anaconda
09-20-2017, 12:45 PM

They are still the same songs though for all your protestations and you accept songs can be played in an order other than they appear on an album. I don't think WES is a machine (not according to your mum anyway) so a playlist is not necessarily compiled by one, as you seem to think. Quiet possible for those listening to an artist's complete recorded work to select songs that work together or are pleasing to them, surely? Would you only go to a gallery and insist on seeing an artist's portfolio in the order he/she created works of art of would you trust a curator to put together a show that reflects the artist's assembled works in the most interesting light?

SWv2
09-20-2017, 12:50 PM
They are still the same songs though for all your protestations and you accept songs can be played in an order other than they appear on an album. I don't think WES is a machine (not according to your mum anyway) so a playlist is not necessarily compiled by one, as you seem to think. Quiet possible for those listening to an artist's complete recorded work to select songs that work together or are pleasing to them, surely? Would you only go to a gallery and insist on seeing an artist's portfolio in the order he/she created works of art of would you trust a curator to put together a show that reflects the artist's assembled works in the most interesting light?

I have attended a few musical performances in recent years where an artist is celebrating the anniversary of an album* and they have played the entire concert in the exact sequence of the record.

I am not convinced by it as a live experience, and that is before one overlooks the inevitable fact that most albums have low points**

*A theme which appears to have lost the run of itself
** Apart from All Mod Cons

Ash
09-20-2017, 12:57 PM
I have attended a few musical performances in recent years where an artist is celebrating the anniversary of an album* and they have played the entire concert in the exact sequence of the record.

I am not convinced by it as a live experience, and that is before one overlooks the inevitable fact that most albums have low points**

*A theme which appears to have lost the run of itself
** Apart from All Mod Cons

Stranglers did this the other year when they played the whole of Black & White.

Like All Mod Cons there are no low points.

While all the points made in defence of playlists are valid, there is something As God Intended It about listening to an album properly - ie, tracks in the correct order and ideally on vinyl, so the impact of the tracks at the end of side 1 and beginning of side 2 make themselves felt. And with no fecking disembodied singles and b-sides tacked onto the end of the CD and basically ruining the thing. Grrr.

Luis Anaconda
09-20-2017, 01:03 PM

While all the points made in defence of playlists are valid, there is something As God Intended It about listening to an album properly - ie, tracks in the correct order and ideally on vinyl, so the impact of the tracks at the end of side 1 and beginning of side 2 make themselves felt. And with no fecking disembodied singles and b-sides tacked onto the end of the CD and basically ruining the thing. Grrr.
Absolutely agree. I'm sure there are tracks that I love on some albums that I didn't like to start with but had to listen to on vinyl or tape rather than being lazy and just skipping to the good ones on a CD

SWv2
09-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Indeed, however it is when one creates a playlist of various artists that the concept comes into its own.

A quick perusal of my most recent creation lists 94 songs and a secondary perusal of artists at the beginning show’s such variety as Tubeway Army, The Clash, SFA, The Waterboys, The Ramones, Immaculate Fools, Bowie, Stone Foundation, Nick Heyward, Boards of Canada and naturally Weller in various guises – the 3 obvious ones plus others where he has guested on other artist albums.

And yes – Something Better Change and Peaches.

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Boards of Canada

According to Wiki this is a couple of jocks who play electronic music and yet put Canada in the name of their band.

Pervert.

You, not them.

SWv2
09-20-2017, 01:31 PM
According to Wiki this is a couple of jocks who play electronic music and yet put Canada in the name of their band.

Pervert.

You, not them.

You have to be open to almost all types of music Wes. Except Country and also Country & Western.

It's name is not a coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBZeWjGjl8

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 02:10 PM
You have to be open to almost all types of music Wes. Except Country and also Country & Western.

It's name is not a coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBZeWjGjl8

Nothing wrong with a bit of Johnny Cash, SW.

He even covers Bob quite a bit. And I have a soft spot for A Boy Named Sue - lyrical genius.

Peter
09-20-2017, 02:27 PM

I was really talking about the craft of an album. So in your analogy, if an artist had done a series of works in a particular order and had assembled them in that order to tell a story, would you not want to see them in that order?

Anyway, its just me. I like an album.

Peter
09-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Absolutely agree. I'm sure there are tracks that I love on some albums that I didn't like to start with but had to listen to on vinyl or tape rather than being lazy and just skipping to the good ones on a CD

Exactly. You cant have people just skipping the bad songs. You should have to listen to them.

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 02:29 PM
I was really talking about the craft of an album. So in your analogy, if an artist had done a series of works in a particular order and had assembled them in that order to tell a story, would you not want to see them in that order?

I'd be pretty surprised if many albums weren't put together with the following logic:
1) let's start with a good fast one
2) let's end with a good slow one
3) let's not have similar songs in speed and style next to each other

It's hardly cutting edge artistic creativity, Peter.

Peter
09-20-2017, 04:05 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if many albums weren't put together with the following logic:
1) let's start with a good fast one
2) let's end with a good slow one
3) let's not have similar songs in speed and style next to each other

It's hardly cutting edge artistic creativity, Peter.

That may be true of what you listen to. I am afraid it isn't for me. I expect better.

World's End Stella
09-20-2017, 04:44 PM
That may be true of what you listen to. I am afraid it isn't for me. I expect better.

Born to Run, as an example, pretty much follows that formula. Born in the USA as well.

:-)

Burney
09-20-2017, 06:38 PM

I think we're making swing the point here, which is that the truly great albums are actually telling a story. That story has a narrative arc and, by pïssing about with the order, you destroy that narrative. In the case of Bloodon the Tracks, it's the story of a doomed relationship. It goes full circle from Tangled up in Blue to Shelter from the Storm and - Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts aside - it makes sense in that order. We lose that if we stop listening to albums.

redgunamo
09-20-2017, 07:52 PM
I think we're making swing the point here, which is that the truly great albums are actually telling a story. That story has a narrative arc and, by pïssing about with the order, you destroy that narrative. In the case of Bloodon the Tracks, it's the story of a doomed relationship. It goes full circle from Tangled up in Blue to Shelter from the Storm and - Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts aside - it makes sense in that order. We lose that if we stop listening to albums.

No, not interested in their troubles, I'm afraid. I just want tunes I can tap the toes to and sing in my bath. Of course, these are far harder to come up with.

Peter
09-21-2017, 08:32 AM
No, not interested in their troubles, I'm afraid. I just want tunes I can tap the toes to and sing in my bath. Of course, these are far harder to come up with.

Exactly. So you have no need for the craft. THere is plenty of music out there for you and jolly good luck with it. You have no need for the good stuff- nor do you deserve it.

Peter
09-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Born to Run, as an example, pretty much follows that formula. Born in the USA as well.

:-)

If you actually listened to the album, in the right order, you should realise that there is a story to Born to Run and the order of the songs is absolutely essential to that story. If you cant work out why it starts with Thunder Road and ends with Jungleland then you have thoroughly missed the point. It is also a good example of my earlier point regarding the sides. It is no coincidence that side 1 ends with Backstreets and side 2 opens with Born to Run.

Bad example. Born in the USA is arguably less significant but then it is nowhere near as good an album. I dont care too m ugh what you choose to do with the order of those. But if you **** with Born to Run then we have a problem. Oh yes.

Peter
09-21-2017, 08:45 AM

Going old school, it is acceptable to skip Lily, Rosemary and the JAck of hearts. Failing to do so will mean that when one tries to fit the album on to one side of a cassette one will lose Buckets of Rain. That is unacceptable.,

Sir C
09-21-2017, 08:45 AM
If you actually listened to the album, in the right order, you should realise that there is a story to Born to Run and the order of the songs is absolutely essential to that story. If you cant work out why it starts with Thunder Road and ends with Jungleland then you have thoroughly missed the point. It is also a good example of my earlier point regarding the sides. It is no coincidence that side 1 ends with Backstreets and side 2 opens with Born to Run.

Bad example. Born in the USA is arguably less significant but then it is nowhere near as good an album. I dont care too m ugh what you choose to do with the order of those. But if you **** with Born to Run then we have a problem. Oh yes.

He is not allowed to listen to Born To Run.

I forbid it.

Pokster
09-21-2017, 08:51 AM

I forbid it.

Who are you, his mum?

Peter
09-21-2017, 08:58 AM

I forbid it.

I don't mind him listening to it as long as it in the right ****ing order.

Sir C
09-21-2017, 09:00 AM

He will defile it with his blundering excuse for an intellect and his absolute lack of a soul, the sweaty moose-fúcker.

Bruce didn't die for this.

Sir C
09-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Who are you, his mum?

No, although I have been in his mum.

Pokster
09-21-2017, 09:13 AM
No, although I have been in his mum.

who hasn't?

Peter
09-21-2017, 09:39 AM
He will defile it with his blundering excuse for an intellect and his absolute lack of a soul, the sweaty moose-fúcker.

Bruce didn't die for this.

That was Brucey that died, not Bruce.

Pokster
09-21-2017, 09:42 AM
That was Brucey that died, not Bruce.

:nono: Brucie

Peter
09-21-2017, 09:48 AM
:nono: Brucie

Fair point.

redgunamo
09-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Exactly. So you have no need for the craft. THere is plenty of music out there for you and jolly good luck with it. You have no need for the good stuff- nor do you deserve it.

You're all just trying too hard to be complete homos, I'm afraid. Once a work of art is out there, it belongs to me, the punter, not the artist, the player. They just need to just pick up their cheques and shut up.

You'll all be banging on about recording qualities and sound mixings next, and agreeing with Ash that there's hardly any point listening to any music at all unless you happen to live in the Albert Hall.

Peter
09-21-2017, 10:24 AM
You're all just trying too hard to be complete homos, I'm afraid. Once a work of art is out there, it belongs to me, the punter, not the artist, the player. They just need to just pick up their cheques and shut up.

You'll all be banging on about recording qualities and sound mixings next, and agreeing with Ash that there's hardly any point listening to any music at all unless you happen to live in the Albert Hall.

You think you can separate the art from the artist. I suspect there is a lesson from elsewhere that will explain why you believe this, probably involving hounds.

redgunamo
09-21-2017, 10:26 AM
You think you can separate the art from the artist. I suspect there is a lesson from elsewhere that will explain why you believe this, probably involving hounds.

I can if I want to certainly. I'm a grown man, not a teenage girl.

Peter
09-21-2017, 10:32 AM
I can if I want to certainly. I'm a grown man, not a teenage girl.

'I can do it if I want to' certainly sounds like the reaction of a teenage girl. :p

Pokster
09-21-2017, 10:34 AM
'I can do it if I want to' certainly sounds like the reaction of a teenage girl. :p

Getting a quote wrong to make a point sounds like the actions of a teenage boy imo

Peter
09-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Getting a quote wrong to make a point sounds like the actions of a teenage boy imo

Ok. 'I can if I want to'. Happy now?

Anyway, you don't even like Bob Dylan. What the **** do you know?

redgunamo
09-21-2017, 10:41 AM

Not really, as it strongly suggests responsibility for one's own actions, beliefs and behaviour. Not necessarily traits commonly associated with young ladies.

Peter
09-21-2017, 10:43 AM
Not really, as it strongly suggests responsibility for one's own actions, beliefs and behaviour. Not necessarily traits commonly associated with young ladies.

It suggests the opposite to me. I can do whatever I like, regardless. Freedom and responsibility are not the same thing.

redgunamo
09-21-2017, 10:54 AM
It suggests the opposite to me. I can do whatever I like, regardless. Freedom and responsibility are not the same thing.

Again, they can be one and the same thing, if you want. The fact that you feel the need to divide them, separate them, suggests that you are feeding one of them by starving the other :-)

Peter
09-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Again, they can be one and the same thing, if you want. The fact that you feel the need to divide them, separate them, suggests that you are feeding one of them by starving the other :-)

I didnt say they couldn't both apply, just that one does not entail the other.

redgunamo
09-21-2017, 11:20 AM
I didnt say they couldn't both apply, just that one does not entail the other.

I'm free enough to be responsible, responsible enough to be free. Yet again, my choice. All you've done there is find yourself an elaborate, high-minded-sounding way to shirk. Sorry. Blame Bob Dylan :-)

SWv2
09-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Pack it in, both of you.

You sound like a bunch of homosexuals and I am quite sure Red is not.

Remember you are Arsenal.

EIE.

redgunamo
09-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Pack it in, both of you.

EIE.

Well, I have heard one or two stories ..

Peter
09-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Pack it in, both of you.

EIE.

Oh here he is, the voice of reason. Why dont you [insert offensive reference to Irishness/irish stereotypical behaviour]

See. See? I dont do stuff like that.

Peter
09-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Well, I have heard one or two stories ..

Hearsay. You heard them say it.

SWv2
09-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Oh here he is, the voice of reason. Why dont you [insert offensive reference to Irishness/irish stereotypical behaviour]

See. See? I dont do stuff like that.

Thank you Pedro.

Good to see my years of input are finally being recognised.

Peter
09-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Thank you Pedro.

Good to see my years of input are finally being recognised.

Can you please just acknowledge the insult and at least pretend to be offended.

SWv2
09-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Can you please just acknowledge the insult and at least pretend to be offended.

To be honest I have been the recipient of such heinous and vile abuse over the years on Awimb that your comments wash over me.

See also your comments in general on football, music and life.

Politics I will give you as that really is a subject for special people.

Peter
09-21-2017, 01:13 PM
To be honest I have been the recipient of such heinous and vile abuse over the years on Awimb that your comments wash over me.

See also your comments in general on football, music and life.

Politics I will give you as that really is a subject for special people.

Would you like to talk about it? The abuse, I mean. Sometimes it can't really help, just telling somebody else.

You know where I am :)

Sir C
09-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Would you like to talk about it? The abuse, I mean. Sometimes it can't really help, just telling somebody else.

Fúck me, don't let him find out your address, he'll be round trying to tarmac your drive in minutes :-(

SWv2
09-21-2017, 01:15 PM

You calling me a poof?

Peter
09-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Fúck me, don't let him find out your address, he'll be round trying to tarmac your drive in minutes :-(

Impossible. I dont have a drive.

World's End Stella
09-21-2017, 01:37 PM

I listen to music in no small part to escape reality. I like the tune, the beat, the rhythm - often I enjoy the lyrical skill involved. It takes me to another place where I am at peace.

Trying to decipher a deeper meaning in every song, understanding the relationship between those meanings and then forming a view on the order they should be played such that the overall message is better conveyed are the actions of someone taking music far too seriously.

Basically, Peter, you need a life. :-)

And that Dutchie muppet can f*ck off n all. I was listening to Born to Run when he still had his finger in a dyke.*

*Not really

redgunamo
09-21-2017, 01:37 PM
Hearsay. You heard them say it.

Very good, minister.

World's End Stella
09-21-2017, 01:39 PM

Other than from Dutchie or just him?

SWv2
09-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Other than from Dutchie or just him?

Yes, mainly said mongrel.

Were it aimed at a person other than Irish it would lead to censure.

Sir C
09-21-2017, 01:45 PM
Yes, mainly said mongrel.

Were it aimed at a person other than Irish it would lead to censure.

Blimey, you don't half moan a lot for a navvie. No offence.

Peter
09-21-2017, 01:52 PM
I listen to music in no small part to escape reality. I like the tune, the beat, the rhythm - often I enjoy the lyrical skill involved. It takes me to another place where I am at peace.

Trying to decipher a deeper meaning in every song, understanding the relationship between those meanings and then forming a view on the order they should be played such that the overall message is better conveyed are the actions of someone taking music far too seriously.

Basically, Peter, you need a life. :-)

And that Dutchie muppet can f*ck off n all. I was listening to Born to Run when he still had his finger in a dyke.*

*Not really

You see, the artist assembles the order for you so you dont have to think about it. Its called an album.

We are hardly talking deep meaning here. Can you not tell what THunder Road is supposed to be? Can you not detect the sense of an ending, a closing, in Jungleland. Jesus, it really isn't rocket science. Its a sense, a feeling, little more depth than that required.

Come on!

Peter
09-21-2017, 01:54 PM
Blimey, you don't half moan a lot for a navvie. No offence.

I believe that the Irish deserve more respect. Even SW.....

Pokster
09-21-2017, 01:54 PM
You see, the artist assembles the order for you so you dont have to think about it. Its called an album.

We are hardly talking deep meaning here. Can you not tell what THunder Road is supposed to be? Can you not detect the sense of an ending, a closing, in Jungleland. Jesus, it really isn't rocket science. Its a sense, a feeling, little more depth than that required.

Come on!

*******s, half the order will be decided by the marketing guys nowerdays

Peter
09-21-2017, 01:57 PM
*******s, half the order will be decided by the marketing guys nowerdays

The marketing guys?? What sort of music are you talking about here?

You think 'the marketing guys' would have released Nebraska?

Marketing guys :shakehead:

redgunamo
09-21-2017, 02:09 PM
The marketing guys?? What sort of music are you talking about here?

You think 'the marketing guys' would have released Nebraska?

Marketing guys :shakehead:

Sure, they would. Atlantic City is his finest moment.

Peter
09-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Sure, they would. Atlantic City is his finest moment.

Can you imagine the record company receiving the proposed album? A year after he had finally managed hit singles from The River?

I bet they wanted to kill him.

SWv2
09-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Can you imagine the record company receiving the proposed album? A year after he had finally managed hit singles from The River?

Fúck me are you still wittering on about Springsteen?

redgunamo
09-21-2017, 02:22 PM

Don't look at me, Steve. I only really know that one song.

Peter
09-21-2017, 02:22 PM

Yes. Do you have a problem with that?

World's End Stella
09-21-2017, 03:10 PM

What do you think the significance is of Atlantic City being the second song? And whilst we don't want you to speculate, what would the message have been had it been the 4th song? Let's start there then we can work through all the other options.

Jesus wept.

Peter
09-21-2017, 03:30 PM
What do you think the significance is of Atlantic City being the second song? And whilst we don't want you to speculate, what would the message have been had it been the 4th song? Let's start there then we can work through all the other options.

Jesus wept.

Everything dies and that's a fact/maybe everything that dies someday comes back.

Can you see how that relates to the first song? Can you see how Highway Patrolman, State Trooper and Used Cars link together? Can you see why Reason to Believe is the last song?

Even you must get that. A tougher ask is why Mansion on the Hill and My Fathers House are so far apart. He is returning to a theme but why specifically there, between tracks 3 and 9. That is a tough one.

See, its fun isn't it ;)

World's End Stella
09-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Everything dies and that's a fact/maybe everything that dies someday comes back.

Can you see how that relates to the first song? Can you see how Highway Patrolman, State Trooper and Used Cars link together? Can you see why Reason to Believe is the last song?

Even you must get that. A tougher ask is why Mansion on the Hill and My Fathers House are so far apart. He is returning to a theme but why specifically there, between tracks 3 and 9. That is a tough one.

See, its fun isn't it ;)

Deviant. Deviant.

Peter
09-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Deviant. Deviant.

Ok, just do what you want.

Seriously, you are missing out though....