PDA

View Full Version : Someone of the Yankee persausion asked me the difference between lager and real ale

World's End Stella
09-12-2017, 02:29 PM
t'other day.

I was unable to answer definitively. I think I said something like 'lager is brewed under pressure and is carbonated while real ale is not and is flat'. And 'I prefer real ale in the pub especially in the colder months, while lager is great on a hot sunny day'.

Neither of which really answers the question properly nor is necessarily correct, I think. Anyone know the answer?

SWv2
09-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Something science-y to do with the type of yeast used in the process.

World's End Stella
09-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Something science-y to do with the type of yeast used in the process.

Quite an advanced reply for you, SW.

I had expected something more along the lines of 'real ale makes me fart thunder, lager makes me p1ss myself'.

Sir C
09-12-2017, 02:38 PM
t'other day.

I was unable to answer definitively. I think I said something like 'lager is brewed under pressure and is carbonated while real ale is not and is flat'. And 'I prefer real ale in the pub especially in the colder months, while lager is great on a hot sunny day'.

Neither of which really answers the question properly nor is necessarily correct, I think. Anyone know the answer?

Real ale is the minging wringings from aged dishwahsing cloths, with a little old man sputum dribbled on top for additional pleasure.

Lager is often horrid but sometimes nice.

There, I think I've covered that off for you.

SWv2
09-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Quite an advanced reply for you, SW.

I got a book about beer for Xmas.

On a recent Bank Holiday I also took the entire family to the Guinness Storehouse for the full tourist experience. Quite science-y in places but interesting, free pints at the end and all.

Would you believe while at the bar I heard a Yankee enquire after "a Guinness on the rocks", which naturally the barman refused to do for him. Politely of course though nobody would questioned him had he just ****ed him out the fire escape.

The waste on view was shocking as all adults get a free pint at the end but most of the Nip tourists apparently just want a taste/sip and then the rest is poured away.

Sad really when you see all the famine in the world.

Sir C
09-12-2017, 02:45 PM
I got a book about beer for Xmas.

On a recent Bank Holiday I also took the entire family to the Guinness Storehouse for the full tourist experience. Quite science-y in places but interesting, free pints at the end and all.

Would you believe while at the bar I heard a Yankee enquire after "a Guinness on the rocks", which naturally the barman refused to do for him. Politely of course though nobody would questioned him had he just ****ed him out the fire escape.

The waste on view was shocking as all adults get a free pint at the end but most of the Nip tourists apparently just want a taste/sip and then the rest is poured away.

You waited and necked all the leavings, didn't you? :-(

SWv2
09-12-2017, 02:46 PM
You waited and necked all the leavings, didn't you? :-(

Well no as I had my kids with me, but the young lad did suggest that is what I should do.

:-(

Still, sad scenes etc.

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 02:47 PM

There are people on this earth perishing through thirst as we speak :-(

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 02:51 PM
There are people on this earth perishing through thirst as we speak :-(

I feel guilty for not really looking forward to free beer this evening now. I shall just have to sup it up

SWv2
09-12-2017, 02:53 PM
I feel guilty for not really looking forward to free beer this evening now. I shall just have to sup it up

Indeed. Sup up your beer and collect your fags.

p.s. I know you don't smoke

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 02:54 PM
t'other day.

Different yeasts (lager, uses bottom-feeding, I mean fermenting, yeast; ale, top);
ale is fermented at warmer temps and for a shorter time
Purity - you can throw any old **** into an ale to give it flavour. Lager - the proper stuff - should limit itself to the main ingredients, Reinheitsgebot and all that

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 02:54 PM
t'other day.

I understand the correct answer is "Stop being a homo and get your round in." All the nibs seem to agree on this.

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Different yeasts (lager, uses bottom-feeding, I mean fermenting, yeast; ale, top);
Purity - you can throw any old **** into an ale to give it flavour. Lager - the proper stuff - should limit itself to the main ingredients, Reinheitsgebot and all that

Right. And apparently, "Lager" also means "store, or "to store" in German. Whatever that has to do with anything :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Right. And apparently, "Lager" also means "store, or "to store" in German. Whatever that has to do with anything :shrug:

Winter is coming

World's End Stella
09-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Hmmm wot about carbonation? All lager is carbonated but real ale never is, true?

SWv2
09-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Hmmm wot about carbonation? All lager is carbonated but real ale never is, true?

Carbonation of any beer occurs naturally during the fermentation stage.

I may be wrong but is not all ale (real ale if you like) not normally served from a cask as opposed to keg. The cask itself plays some part in taste of the end product.

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 03:38 PM

As SW says the fizz is formed as part of the fermentation process but it can be "forced" too - there's actually several different ways. Reminds me of the time I was given a private tour of the Budweiser brewery in České Budějovice and was given a sample of the Budvar part way through the process - it was absolutely gorgeous but the stuff you get in the bottles is a bit sharper fizzier as they need to make it like that for longevity/allow it to travel. And I think I could have organised a piss-up in that brewery

SWv2
09-12-2017, 03:49 PM
As SW says the fizz is formed as part of the fermentation process but it can be "forced" too - there's actually several different ways. Reminds me of the time I was given a private tour of the Budweiser brewery in České Budějovice and was given a sample of the Budvar part way through the process - it was absolutely gorgeous but the stuff you get in the bottles is a bit sharper fizzier as they need to make it like that for longevity/allow it to travel. And I think I could have organised a piss-up in that brewery

They had to ask you to leave didn't they?

:-\

eastgermanautos
09-12-2017, 03:53 PM

In fairness to us Yanks this is not a lack of knowledge which people on the West Coast would have. We have the microbrewing craze out here, so we know our lagers and ales.

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 03:57 PM
In fairness to us Yanks this is not a lack of knowledge which people on the West Coast would have. We have the microbrewing craze out here, so we know our lagers and ales.

Very true sir. No need to know about it to drink it though :)

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 03:58 PM
They had to ask you to leave didn't they?

:-\

Far from it, I was a guest of the Czech tourist board. They had to indulge me

SWv2
09-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Quite a fan of your Sierra Nevada products though I expect "Micro" is hardly an apt name for them.

SWv2
09-12-2017, 04:04 PM

Speaking as we are of all things Czech did you see dear TR’s goal on his return for Sparta Prague.

I had actually just assumed he had retired.

Sir C
09-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Speaking as we are of all things Czech did you see dear TR’s goal on his return for Sparta Prague.

I love his devil's horns celebration. What a rocker Tommy is! :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 04:10 PM

yes - me too. Lovely goal, great celebration

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 04:36 PM
I love his devil's horns celebration. What a rocker Tommy is! :hehe:

No, he's a President Bush fan

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/af/64/dc/af64dc7ab3c33a5bc58b92b16fe6d396--rock-sign-hand-signals.jpg

Burney
09-12-2017, 05:19 PM

I was sexually assaulted in Ceske Budejovice. True story.