PDA

View Full Version : I watched a little of West Ham Huddersfield last night.

Sir C
09-12-2017, 08:06 AM
A little was all I could manage. My word.

If we were playing like that I'd happily join a Wenger Out march. It was rather nice to be reminded of just how good we are, in the scheme of things.

Pat Vegas
09-12-2017, 08:14 AM

If we were playing like that I'd happily join a Wenger Out march. It was rather nice to be reminded of just how good we are, in the scheme of things.

I used to enjoy watching random games like this. Used to be exciting but not much these days I think the standard has dropped.

I like the good old days where Middlesbrough played exciting games but lost every week.

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 08:19 AM

I'm not sure that sort of thing is good for your health. Mind you, I watched two episodes of Ben Elton's Upstart Crow, so in the grand scheme you might have won here

Sir C
09-12-2017, 08:21 AM
I used to enjoy watching random games like this. Used to be exciting but not much these days I think the standard has dropped.

I like the good old days where Middlesbrough played exciting games but lost every week.

I still like such random games if they're not in London. I like to imagine what it's like being the big number 9 at Norwich or Exeter City, going down to Cinderella Rockefeller's on a Saturday night, into the VIP area behind the velvet rope, all the girlies wide-eyed with excitement. Proper local hero ****.

Peter
09-12-2017, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure that sort of thing is good for your health. Mind you, I watched two episodes of Ben Elton's Upstart Crow, so in the grand scheme you might have won here

Two episodes??

Sir C
09-12-2017, 08:23 AM

I saw 30 seconds of that.

Fúcke. Me.

Peter
09-12-2017, 08:23 AM

I listened to it on the radio during a long drive. THe commentators kept going on about what a dreadful game it was.

Sir C
09-12-2017, 08:28 AM
I listened to it on the radio during a long drive. THe commentators kept going on about what a dreadful game it was.

Being in a nostalgic frame of mind, i was amazed to calculate that it is 20 years since Slaven Bilic left West Ham for Everton. There was a short-lived chat show on TV at the team featuring football personalities taking questions from the audience, and I distinctly remember a West Ham fan pleading with him not to go to Everton because, "they ain't no better than us" and he "deserved better".

20 years, my word. Before Arsene's first double. Before events in New York made the world a harsher, more cynical place. Just about the same time the tragic election of Blair ripped the heart and guts from the once great country. :-(

SWv2
09-12-2017, 08:38 AM

To be fair you would expect us to be a lot better than either of the sides involved.

It is our size, stature and I suppose wealth that in turn causes frustration when we appear to be silly.

Now, I watched a NFL documentary and then a silly detective program.

:-\

Peter
Being in a nostalgic frame of mind, i was amazed to calculate that it is 20 years since Slaven Bilic left West Ham for Everton. There was a short-lived chat show on TV at the team featuring football personalities taking questions from the audience, and I distinctly remember a West Ham fan pleading with him not to go to Everton because, "they ain't no better than us" and he "deserved better".

20 years, my word. Before Arsene's first double. Before events in New York made the world a harsher, more cynical place. Just about the same time the tragic election of Blair ripped the heart and guts from the once great country. :-(

Before there were any muslims an all that :D

Peter
To be fair you would expect us to be a lot better than either of the sides involved.

It is our size, stature and I suppose wealth that in turn causes frustration when we appear to be silly.

Now, I watched a NFL documentary and then a silly detective program.

:-\

I think LA is still comfortably in the lead with Upstart Crow.

Pokster
09-12-2017, 08:39 AM
I think LA is still comfortably in the lead with Upstart Crow.

I watched Liar... quite disturbing imo

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Two episodes??

tbf I fell asleep before the end of the first one and woke up halfway through the second

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 08:52 AM
I watched Liar... quite disturbing imo

I quite wanted to watch Rellik but wasn't really in the mood for something complex. Same writers for both series I believe though. They've landed on their feet

Pokster
09-12-2017, 09:02 AM
I quite wanted to watch Rellik but wasn't really in the mood for something complex. Same writers for both series I believe though. They've landed on their feet

Was quite hard to watch as someone i know well was in a similar situation... got off with a bloke (she had a b/f), lots of touching but she said no but he still penetrated her... she never went to the police and still has nightmares about it

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 09:38 AM

Oh, sure. We are indeed most fortunate. Even if we play rubbish, we can still win trophies. And vice versa.

Tony C
09-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Lost some dough on this won...Huddersfield were disappointing.

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Sam Allardyce was the highlight of the show :-\

SWv2
09-12-2017, 10:58 AM

I was reading a good piece on Higuain earlier. Your footballing philosophies did occur to me:

"His former Napoli team-mate Dries Mertens pointed to something similar during an interview this year, contending that Higuaín wakes up every morning with goals in his eyes.

We might call it an obsession, perhaps? “No, not that. More like an obligation. It’s traditional that you score goals as a striker.”

Higuaín is quick to stress that he relishes this duty, not that such a clarification was required. Anyone who has seen Higuaín celebrate a goal ought to recognise a man who enjoys his work. The opposition could be Barcelona or Frosinone, the goal a tap-in or a 30-yard thunderbolt, but the reaction is typically the same: arms wide, eyes wild, mouth roaring."

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 11:24 AM
They're a different breed, alright. In fact, I'd say they're not really "footballers" at all. If you follow me.

I mean, a bit of football doesn't do them any real harm, unless it gets in the way of them scoring goals.

I was reading a good piece on Higuain earlier. Your footballing philosophies did occur to me:

"His former Napoli team-mate Dries Mertens pointed to something similar during an interview this year, contending that Higuaín wakes up every morning with goals in his eyes.

We might call it an obsession, perhaps? “No, not that. More like an obligation. It’s traditional that you score goals as a striker.”

Higuaín is quick to stress that he relishes this duty, not that such a clarification was required. Anyone who has seen Higuaín celebrate a goal ought to recognise a man who enjoys his work. The opposition could be Barcelona or Frosinone, the goal a tap-in or a 30-yard thunderbolt, but the reaction is typically the same: arms wide, eyes wild, mouth roaring."

SWv2
09-12-2017, 11:31 AM
They're a different breed, alright. In fact, I'd say they're not really "footballers" at all. If you follow me.

I mean, a bit of football doesn't do them any real harm, unless it gets in the way of them scoring goals.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/12/gonzalo-higuain-juventus-ronaldo-goals-argentina

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 11:49 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/12/gonzalo-higuain-juventus-ronaldo-goals-argentina

He comes across nicely, imo. I like him alot.

Ash
09-12-2017, 12:00 PM

Yes, I enjoyed his tactical insights. Cleans sheets. Score first. Always play the first ball forward. Don't fanny dance in your own half. Get the big man up top to knock it down and always have two players running on to it. Keep moving and always exploit the weaknesses of tactically and positionally inept teams like Arsenal.

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Yes, I enjoyed his tactical insights. Cleans sheets. Score first. Always play the first ball forward. Don't fanny dance in your own half. Get the big man up top to knock it down and always have two players running on to it. Keep moving and always exploit the weaknesses of tactically and positionally inept teams like Arsenal.

Thing is, you wouldn't catch me complaining about any of that. Imagine him managing Spurs :-\

Ash
09-12-2017, 01:00 PM
Thing is, you wouldn't catch me complaining about any of that. Imagine him managing Spurs :-\

I've long said he that it would be interesting to see him managing a team with better players, which is why it's a pity really that he blew his chance with the England team, which presumably comprises better players than he usually has available at his saving-from-relegation clubs.

Of course Spurs fans are even worse than Arsenal fans at expecting their team to play pretty football.

Luis Anaconda
09-12-2017, 01:08 PM
I've long said he that it would be interesting to see him managing a team with better players, which is why it's a pity really that he blew his chance with the England team, which presumably comprises better players than he usually has available at his saving-from-relegation clubs.

Of course Spurs fans are even worse than Arsenal fans at expecting their team to play pretty football.

:nod: West Ham fans even more so - yet they worship the average League Two player that is Mark Noble

redgunamo
09-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Oh, I doubt they're quite so fussy anymore, since we've had Graham and Wenger. They may say they are but they would, wouldn't they.