PDA

View Full Version : Much better performance. I put it down to the lack of an

Pat Vegas
09-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Ox being around.

and playing the new fellas in their proper positions and having 2 actual real centre backs.

We'll be fine this year if Sanchez plays like he can we will have **** loads of goals with him and Lacazette.

He will link up perfectly with the new fella. who's name I can't pronounce yet.

Sir C
09-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Ox being around.

and playing the new fellas in their proper positions and having 2 actual real centre backs.

We'll be fine this year if Sanchez plays like he can we will have **** loads of goals with him and Lacazette.

Interesting to read that Sanchez got a 'mixed reaction' when he came on. I wonder how he'll react to that.

Cheeky 1-0 win at Chelsea and we're back on track :trophy:

Ash
09-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Ox being around.

Kol Ass In Ack

Nice to see the little fat fella running about a bit but obviously we were much better with #welbz on the pitch.

Sir C
09-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Kol Ass In Ack

Nice to see the little fat fella running about a bit but obviously we were much better with #welbz on the pitch.

How was your trip, a? You suffered a little weather, I believe? Is n fully recovered from her tumble?

PSRB
09-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Ox being around.

In fairness, if you could have cherry picked a match to restore confidence, then Bournemouth at Home would be pretty high on the list.

Pat Vegas
09-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Interesting to read that Sanchez got a 'mixed reaction' when he came on. I wonder how he'll react to that.

Cheeky 1-0 win at Chelsea and we're back on track :trophy:

I am not sure but I thought they cheered him.

Pat Vegas
09-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Kol Ass In Ack

Was his 2nd goal an attempted cross?

Sir C
09-11-2017, 08:59 AM
I am not sure but I thought they cheered him.

In the paper they said it was a mixture of cheers and boos. And people called him fat.

Pokster
09-11-2017, 09:00 AM
In fairness, if you could have cherry picked a match to restore confidence, then Bournemouth at Home would be pretty high on the list.

Was the cherry comment deliberate? If yes :clap:

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Yes, we're a decent side really but the trouble with losing 4-0 is that weak people imagine it means you're going to lose every game 4-0.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-11-2017, 09:02 AM
In the paper they said it was a mixture of cheers and boos. And people called him fat.

Sir C
09-11-2017, 09:03 AM

I was at a first birthday party, h, where I got so battered I slept all day yesterday and still feel pretty sketchy.

Sub-optimal behaviour.

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 09:04 AM

In fairness, it was one of his former coaches that called him that. Something about he (Alexis) and some teammate or other overdoing things a bit recently whilst on holiday.

PSRB
09-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Was the cherry comment deliberate? If yes :clap:

Only realised after I'd typed it.....so, sort of :-\

Pat Vegas
09-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Yes, we're a decent side really but the trouble with losing 4-0 is that weak people imagine it means you're going to lose every game 4-0.

Though as Liverpool got smashed it made thing things are not so bad.
Plus Stoke gave United a tough time too.

Ash
09-11-2017, 09:07 AM
How was your trip, a? You suffered a little weather, I believe? Is n fully recovered from her tumble?

She's still a bit sore around the knee, thanks, but basically she recovered very quickly. The weather varied between light rain and heavy rain but we still managed to get up on the tops on a couple of days and bag the six targets around Troutbeck. Scouted out next next place to stay too - probably Howtown Hotel on the south of Ullswater.

I may have been somewhat optimistic in my assessment the other week that we might get some more summer in September. :-|

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-11-2017, 09:07 AM
I thought you were getting bugled up? One of the reasons I never touch it* anymore is I can't sleep for two days and day number three is a crushing, dark come-down :-(

Sir C
09-11-2017, 09:09 AM
I thought you were getting bugled up? One of the reasons I never touch it* anymore is I can't sleep for two days and day number three is a crushing, dark come-down :-(

I lucked out, actually, but getting fired into the champagne at 11 am, so when I was supposed to pop out and collect the stash I was far too pissed to drive. Saved by my lack of willpower :cloud9:

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Though as Liverpool got smashed it made thing things are not so bad.
Plus Stoke gave United a tough time too.

Exactly. #BestLeagueintheWorld

Sir C
09-11-2017, 09:14 AM
She's still a bit sore around the knee, thanks, but basically she recovered very quickly. The weather varied between light rain and heavy rain but we still managed to get up on the tops on a couple of days and bag the six targets around Troutbeck. Scouted out next next place to stay too - probably Howtown Hotel on the south of Ullswater.

I may have been somewhat optimistic in my assessment the other week that we might get some more summer in September. :-|

I love that bit south of Ullswater. We stopped at that hotel for coffee. If you carry on a bit further down the road it becomes remarkably isolated, doesn't it? Past Sandwick, where, if you ran out of tea, your nearest option would be to saddle a horse and take the bridleway to Patterdale. I'd love to rent a house there for a while, completely cut off from the world. Well, I say 'for a while', I mean, 'forever'.

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Kol Ass In Ack

Imagine if #Welbz scored 25 or more league goals this season.

Just imagine..

World's End Stella
09-11-2017, 09:21 AM

I don't think many thought that, red. Not outside of the Arsenal TV crew, anyway.

I do think an awful lot of people found more evidence that we'll lose to all the top sides, though. And that those games are unlikely to be close affairs. And to be fair, there is plenty of evidence over the past few years to think that that is correct, the 4-0 battering aside.

SWv2
09-11-2017, 09:21 AM

This ^^^^^^^^

I believe the above is a standard internet reponse showing both agreeement and also verification that the original statement was correct.

Sir C
09-11-2017, 09:23 AM
This ^^^^^^^^

I believe the above is a standard internet reponse showing both agreeement and also verification that the original statement was correct.

I also noted that Ramsey's display was described as 'masterful'.

Fine, fine footballer, young Aaron.

SWv2
09-11-2017, 09:26 AM

Sunday Times???

He was a little all over the place at times, as was his Swiss Albanian partner, however he did some things very well and his weighted pass to Welbeck was perfect.

Much bigger test of their learning curve next weekend with messers Fabregas, Bakayoko and Kante.

Ash
09-11-2017, 09:26 AM
This ^^^^^^^^

Indeed. I can further verify that there was indeed a mixture, but more cheers than boos. I stood up and loudly expressed disbelief that people were booing ("Why are people booing") and a bloke in front (whom my immediate neighbour referred to as a 'Northern Monkey') said "Why do you think? Because he wanted to leave". I shook my head an retook my seat.

Ash
09-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Sunday Times???

He was a little all over the place at times, as was his Swiss Albanian partner, however he did some things very well and his weighted pass to Welbeck was perfect.

Much bigger test of their learning curve next weekend with messers Fabregas, Bakayoko and Kante.

We were basically playing a front four four much of the first half, with one in midfield. Chelsea will have fun with that.

Ash
09-11-2017, 09:29 AM
I love that bit south of Ullswater. We stopped at that hotel for coffee. If you carry on a bit further down the road it becomes remarkably isolated, doesn't it? Past Sandwick, where, if you ran out of tea, your nearest option would be to saddle a horse and take the bridleway to Patterdale. I'd love to rent a house there for a while, completely cut off from the world. Well, I say 'for a while', I mean, 'forever'.

Yes, I saw that. There's a sort-of miniature version of Hardknott Pass as well on the way, which was an unexpected bonus. :-)

SWv2
09-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Indeed. I can further verify that there was indeed a mixture, but more cheers than boos. I stood up and loudly expressed disbelief that people were booing ("Why are people booing") and a bloke in front (whom my immediate neighbour referred to as a 'Northern Monkey') said "Why do you think? Because he wanted to leave". I shook my head an retook my seat.

It will have been a one-off, a statement of anger and annoyance. Not entirely sure what his crime is all the same. Footballers leave football clubs. Perhaps these boo people were new to the game.

The summer and transfer window are over and behind us so best just move on and make the best of a bad scenario.

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 09:36 AM
I don't think many thought that, red. Not outside of the Arsenal TV crew, anyway.

I do think an awful lot of people found more evidence that we'll lose to all the top sides, though. And that those games are unlikely to be close affairs. And to be fair, there is plenty of evidence over the past few years to think that that is correct, the 4-0 battering aside.

Of course, that's right. Despite this though, many have attributed all our regular top four finishes to fortunate acts of God, rather than the more plausible idea that we are in fact a very good side.

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 09:39 AM
It will have been a one-off, a statement of anger and annoyance. Not entirely sure what his crime is all the same. Footballers leave football clubs. Perhaps these boo people were new to the game.

The summer and transfer window are over and behind us so best just move on and make the best of a bad scenario.

According to the press though, we (the Arsenal Football Club) have been briefing, off the record, of course, against Alexis for a while now. In the interests of the greater good, of course.

Ash
09-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Of course, that's right. Despite this though, many have attributed all our regular top four finishes to fortunate acts of God, rather than the more plausible idea that we are in fact a very good side.

Apart from when we play the top sides away from home. In recent years, with a few exceptions.

World's End Stella
09-11-2017, 09:42 AM

Masterful against one of the worst teams in the league, appalling and substituted at halftime against Liverpool.

Yup, I'd say that sums up Ramsey pretty well. :nod:

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Apart from when we play the top sides away from home. In recent years, with a few exceptions.

Aren't we in danger of playing the statistics here, rather than the game? I've always been far more irritated about dropping points against teams "we ought to beat".

Tony C
09-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Little run out for Alexis...should be fine for 90 minutes vs Cologne while we rest Welbeck

Same with Laca and Giroud

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
09-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Ox being around.

....and the lack of worthy opposition tbf. Bournemouth were the perfect opponents for us.

World's End Stella
09-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Aren't we in danger of playing the statistics here, rather than the game? I've always been far more irritated about dropping points against teams "we ought to beat".

It's more irritating but probably less consequential when it comes to winning the league, 6 pointers and all that.

Not that anyone with an active brain pattern thinks that we have any intention of winning the league, of course.

I still find it staggering that there has been as little consternation as there has been about us turning a profit in the transfer window while - allegedly - intending to catch teams that finished ahead of us and are spending 100mil+.

Apathy, I suppose, we've been here too many times to care. :shrug:

SWv2
09-11-2017, 10:06 AM
It's more irritating but probably less consequential when it comes to winning the league, 6 pointers and all that.

Not that anyone with an active brain pattern thinks that we have any intention of winning the league, of course.

I still find it staggering that there has been as little consternation as there has been about us turning a profit in the transfer window while - allegedly - intending to catch teams that finished ahead of us and are spending 100mil+.

No point really, or at least nothing to be gained from it. Apathy, yes.

Our perceived best player wants to leave, one midfield injury has now left us with backup consisting of two players both of whom we were willing to allow leave the club in the summer and in defence have a player who apparently both wanted to leave the club and also the club were more than happy to facilitate as they were unhappy with his form since joining.

I believe the term is “not ideal” however best to just stumble through until January. It is just a pity and clearly a PL vendetta against us that we cannot play Bournemouth each week.

We both know that come next May we are likely to finish somewhere between positions 3-6 which is about correct when all is taken into account.

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 10:10 AM

I'm not sure. Our squad has enough potential and the only real bone of contention would seem to be this defensive midfield creature people want. But, to pinch your phrase, there is plenty of evidence over the past few years to think that Wenger doesn't actually care for such an individual anymore. Unless you believe He really only just noticed the absence of Gilberto Silva in the team right at end of the last transfer window :-\

Peter
09-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Masterful against one of the worst teams in the league, appalling and substituted at halftime against Liverpool.

Yup, I'd say that sums up Ramsey pretty well. :nod:

He is fine as long as the game is one where we are in such command that his rightful place is hovering around the final third. Its only where a game demands a degree of positional responsibility, awareness and, dare I say it, actual midfield play, that he becomes an utter liability. In other words, this coming week at Chelsea.

Any other manager would change the central midfield for the Chelsea game. Wenger will pick Xhaka and Ramsey as long as they are fit and we know exactly what will happen.

Peter
09-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Also at least partly an acknowledgement that the gap between us and them is as much about the manager/coaching as it is the players. In other words, we could spend 200 million on four great players and it would not address many of the problems. Good money after bad.

Still, Lacazette looks quite good. Wellbeck still pretty ****. His first goal was a classic :D

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 10:16 AM
No point really, or at least nothing to be gained from it. Apathy, yes.

Our perceived best player wants to leave, one midfield injury has now left us with backup consisting of two players both of whom we were willing to allow leave the club in the summer and in defence have a player who apparently both wanted to leave the club and also the club were more than happy to facilitate as they were unhappy with his form since joining.

I believe the term is “not ideal” however best to just stumble through until January. It is just a pity and clearly a PL vendetta against us that we cannot play Bournemouth each week.

We both know that come next May we are likely to finish somewhere between positions 3-6 which is about correct when all is taken into account.

Actually, our recent Leicester City mantra, coupled with our repudiation of FFP, is a positive step, in that regard. It could finally be an appreciation that it's the players we have, playing properly, that's going to win us the league, rather than 100 million pound signings.

Not that this is actually news to anyone, of course, but we have rather allowed ourselves to get carried away with the influence of money lately, haven't we :-\

SWv2
09-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Actually, our recent Leicester City mantra, coupled with our repudiation of FFP, is a positive step, in that regard. It could finally be an appreciation that it's the players we have, playing properly, that's going to win us the league, rather than 100 million pound signings.

Not that this is actually news to anyone, of course, but we have rather allowed ourselves to get carried away with the influence of money lately, haven't we :-\

Well unfortunately such is the way of modern football.

Where one identifies an issue or weakness in a team or squad one addresses it by one of two methods – internal solutions or purchases. I doubt many supporters really have a lot of faith in the former as below 1-11 we are really quite average, mediocre even.

Debuchy, Chambers, Elneny, Wilshere, Walcott ……… none really options to warm the cockles. Actually to be fair I am unsure what exactly Elneny has done, or not done, to be so apparently far off the radar.

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Where one identifies an issue or weakness in a team or squad one addresses it by one of two methods – internal solutions or purchases. I doubt many supporters really have a lot of faith in the former as below 1-11 we are really quite average, mediocre even.

Debuchy, Chambers, Elneny, Wilshere, Walcott ……… none really options to warm the cockles. Actually to be fair I am unsure what exactly Elneny has done, or not done, to be so apparently far off the radar.

As P says, that's the manager's job. If you don't want or can't get Carvalho, then just stick any of our surplus backs or midfielders in there and make it work :shrug:

Peter
09-11-2017, 11:02 AM

The bigger issue comes when the real weakness is the manager and not the players.

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 11:12 AM
He is fine as long as the game is one where we are in such command that his rightful place is hovering around the final third. Its only where a game demands a degree of positional responsibility, awareness and, dare I say it, actual midfield play, that he becomes an utter liability. In other words, this coming week at Chelsea.

Any other manager would change the central midfield for the Chelsea game. Wenger will pick Xhaka and Ramsey as long as they are fit and we know exactly what will happen.

Well, Richie Richardson refused to tamper with his bowling attack to take unhelpful conditions into account, arguing that as professionals, there's no such thing as unhelpful conditions; they demand to play every game and they still had to perform and do their jobs and win regardless of the conditions, or even the opposition.

PSRB
09-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Also at least partly an acknowledgement that the gap between us and them is as much about the manager/coaching as it is the players. In other words, we could spend 200 million on four great players and it would not address many of the problems. Good money after bad.

Still, Lacazette looks quite good. Wellbeck still pretty ****. His first goal was a classic :D

His 2nd though, was borne of the confidence from the 1st, imo

World's End Stella
09-11-2017, 11:50 AM
His 2nd though, was borne of the confidence from the 1st, imo

Yes, maybe, a very, very, very good finish either way.

Or would you put a teeny bit of blame on the keeper? :rubchin:

Viva Prat Vegas
09-11-2017, 11:52 AM

:monty:

No
Wellbz hit it first time right in the far corner

Ash
09-11-2017, 11:58 AM

No

It was like Thierry. :cloud9:

SWv2
09-11-2017, 11:59 AM

No

On the contrary Monty's style would be more to try put forth a suggestion of technical fault with the finish.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
09-11-2017, 12:14 PM

You are correct in that respect however, we should also acknowledge that, when we play the top team, it isn't so much the defeats that we suffer, it is the manner of them. This is what tends to irritate most people.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
09-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Hasn't that always been the case. No, wait, that has definitely been the case for the last few year.

Pokster
09-11-2017, 12:44 PM
On the contrary Monty's style would be more to try put forth a suggestion of technical fault with the finish.

Monty's style would have been to comment on those saying Arsenal are in a crisis by pointing out we are only a point behid Spurs and Liverpool

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 12:51 PM
You are correct in that respect however, we should also acknowledge that, when we play the top team, it isn't so much the defeats that we suffer, it is the manner of them. This is what tends to irritate most people.

The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg, as the man said :-\

Luis Anaconda
09-11-2017, 01:00 PM
The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg, as the man said :-\
I suspect the man may have had a couple of beers before coming up with that. NTTAWWT

SWv2
09-11-2017, 01:03 PM

RIP Red.

:-(

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 01:08 PM
I suspect the man may have had a couple of beers before coming up with that. NTTAWWT

Ah, yes. I see. The German version of the parable also includes a coffee bean.

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 01:11 PM
RIP Red.

:-(

It's the Classics. It's not my fault you didn't actually finish school :shrug:

:-)

Peter
09-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Well, Richie Richardson refused to tamper with his bowling attack to take unhelpful conditions into account, arguing that as professionals, there's no such thing as unhelpful conditions; they demand to play every game and they still had to perform and do their jobs and win regardless of the conditions, or even the opposition.

Caddick to bowl Caddick length, if you will.

Ash
09-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Arsenal are definitely eggs. Nicer and more interesting than potatoes but fragile and not very durable.

Ash
09-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Arsenal are definitely eggs. Nicer and more interesting than potatoes but fragile and not very durable.

And to like get heavily beaten, of course. And don't chip well. #welbz

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
09-11-2017, 01:52 PM
And to like get heavily beaten, of course. And don't chip well. #welbz

Although, Potatoes do fall apart when put under a leetle pressure :-\

Bergkamp Was Best
09-11-2017, 01:59 PM
In regards to Sanchez coming on:

Guy next to me booed him, the guy on the other side of the guy booing told the guy booing to shut the f*ck up!

Welcome to the Arsenal! :-|

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 02:09 PM

Not at all; he put it the perfect area, right down the corridor of uncertainty (©Sir Geoffrey). He may not have been going for goal, and with his erratic finishing, I don't think that's too harsh a notion, but his reaction suggested he knew at least it would end up in a goal somehow or other.

Brilliant forward play.

redgunamo
09-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Caddick to bowl Caddick length, if you will.

Right. Precisely.