PDA

View Full Version : I have been drinking cider quite a lot lately.

Burney
09-08-2017, 12:10 PM
This is probably not a wise course of action, long-term, as I've noticed that, as with heroin, the more you drink it, the greater a resistance you build up and before you know it, you're the sort of person who thinks nothing of drinking pints of 9.5% scrumpy, have no teeth and find yourself saying 'Arrrrrr' to mean 'Yes'.

No. Best to knock it 'pon the head. Shame, as I've become rather fond of it.

Sir C
09-08-2017, 12:11 PM
This is probably not a wise course of action, long-term, as I've noticed that, as with heroin, the more you drink it, the greater a resistance you build up and before you know it, you're the sort of person who thinks nothing of drinking pints of 9.5% scrumpy, have no teeth and find yourself saying 'Arrrrrr' to mean 'Yes'.

Unless it's served in a plastic milk carton, I'll have no truck with it. Well, I'll consider it if it's half and half with Pils. And maybe a shot of black. :puke:

Peter
09-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Unless it's served in a plastic milk carton, I'll have no truck with it. Well, I'll consider it if it's half and half with Pils. And maybe a shot of black. :puke:

I cant drink or take anything anymore. I tried at the weekend and still feel dreadful even now.

Never, ever again. And this time I mean it.

Burney
09-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Everyone loves it out here in the sticks. There seems to be a cider festival every weekend.

How good were our Irish, bat-catching friends, btw? Every time I watch it I find something new to laugh at. Today it's the fact that 'Derry' is wearing football shorts and knee-length socks. :hehe:

Sir C
09-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Everyone loves it out here in the sticks. There seems to be a cider festival every weekend.

How good were our Irish, bat-catching friends, btw? Every time I watch it I find something new to laugh at. Today it's the fact that 'Derry' is wearing football shorts and knee-length socks. :hehe:

"It's funny because it's true!" has never been truer.

"The dog's pissing!" :hehe:

Sir C
09-08-2017, 12:24 PM
I cant drink or take anything anymore. I tried at the weekend and still feel dreadful even now.

I'm going to try the merest smidge of bugle tomorrow. Well, I say the merest smidge, in order to ensure that I don't overdo it I've only ordered 7g. So that should work out fine.

Burney
09-08-2017, 12:24 PM

I went to The Wine Society's Cellar Showroom the other day with my old man. We tasted rather too much, spent far too much and then came gone and drank far, far too much 14% Burgundy.

I drank no more than two glasses last night before retiring. That's how bad it was. :-(

Burney
09-08-2017, 12:29 PM
"It's funny because it's true!" has never been truer.

"The dog's pissing!" :hehe:

"Mammy, the dag's had a fright and pīssed himself! Sure how would you blame him? And you outside the door!"

SWv2
09-08-2017, 12:36 PM

I have never had much truck with cider, even as a teenager when it was the done thing I was not a fan.

I recall buying litres of the stuff from a farmer at my formative Glastonbury Festival, 1989. That did not end well.

These days when the occasion arises, perhaps a nice summer barbecue, I may partake of 4-6 cans of Bulmers but never otherwise.

* Actually I have been known to snaffle Mrs SW's bottle of Stella cidre when the well is dry, 2am on a sunday morning thing.

Burney
09-08-2017, 12:44 PM
I have never had much truck with cider, even as a teenager when it was the done thing I was not a fan.

I recall buying litres of the stuff from a farmer at my formative Glastonbury Festival, 1989. That did not end well.

These days when the occasion arises, perhaps a nice summer barbecue, I may partake of 4-6 cans of Bulmers but never otherwise.

* Actually I have been known to snaffle Mrs SW's bottle of Stella cidre when the well is dry, 2am on a sunday morning thing.

You'll like this, sw. These are your people. ;-)

http://mashable.com/2017/09/05/bat-irish-family-catch-him-derry/#oFENH82xkOqK

SWv2
09-08-2017, 12:47 PM
You'll like this, sw. These are your people. ;-)

http://mashable.com/2017/09/05/bat-irish-family-catch-him-derry/#oFENH82xkOqK

Oh don't worry I have seen it a few times.

Poor Derry :hehe:

Burney
09-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Oh don't worry I have seen it a few times.

Poor Derry :hehe:

"He's making a mockery out of you, bhay!" :hehe:

You're right about cider, though. It's insidious stuff. Doesn't really seem like proper alcohol and you neck it happily, Before you know it, you've lost all motor function. :-(

It is, of course, the oldest British drink. Beer came much later.

IUFG
09-08-2017, 01:10 PM

Back in the day with the old licensing laws, Sunday's drink was snakebites of K-Cider and Carlsberg Special Brew. One pint glass, two bottles, one horrifically strong drink.

I used to have a few headaches on Monday mornings, istr.

Burney
09-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Back in the day with the old licensing laws, Sunday's drink was snakebites of K-Cider and Carlsberg Special Brew. One pint glass, two bottles, one horrifically strong drink.

Worst hangovers I recall were from 'power shandies' made from Stella and that alcoholic lemonade filth that was going about in the mid to late 90s. Even in my early 20s, when I could eat nails and pīss rust, that stuff used to leave me feeling distinctly sketchy.

bbrian
09-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Its becoming popular over in these here not so United States too . Its more appley over here i think . The Angry Orchard stuff is like drinking apple juice...strong apple juice. Im fond of a local brand called Downeaster myself

SWv2
09-08-2017, 01:17 PM

:-|
:-|
:-| :-|

IUFG
09-08-2017, 01:19 PM
...and that alcoholic lemonade filth that was going about in the mid to late 90s.

Hooch?

I think it may have been the vanguard of alcopops.

Pat Vegas
09-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Hooch?

I think it may have been the vanguard of alcopops.

It all then evolved to Smirnoff Ice.

Peter
09-08-2017, 01:56 PM
I'm going to try the merest smidge of bugle tomorrow. Well, I say the merest smidge, in order to ensure that I don't overdo it I've only ordered 7g. So that should work out fine.

I shall never touch it again. I simply do not enjoy it the way I used to and it takes a week to recover. Its just not for me anymore.

Officially getting old.

Peter
09-08-2017, 02:00 PM
I went to The Wine Society's Cellar Showroom the other day with my old man. We tasted rather too much, spent far too much and then came gone and drank far, far too much 14% Burgundy.

I drank no more than two glasses last night before retiring. That's how bad it was. :-(

Any more than the equivalent of 4 or 5 pints and I am in hell for the next 24 hours.

Apart from two springsteen shows last year where I drank like a lunatic and didnt actually feel as though I was going to die the next day. Maybe that is they key- to have at least 12 pints.

Peter
09-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Worst hangovers I recall were from 'power shandies' made from Stella and that alcoholic lemonade filth that was going about in the mid to late 90s. Even in my early 20s, when I could eat nails and pīss rust, that stuff used to leave me feeling distinctly sketchy.

Huge quantities of neat whisky used to do me in, even when I was younger.

World's End Stella
09-08-2017, 02:12 PM

Familiar with heroin, Burney? :rubchin:

Burney
09-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Familiar with heroin, Burney? :rubchin:

Surely any curious young man has at least experimented with a wee bit of brown? :shrug:

The poppy is a marvellous flower, wes. One should not sneer at its bounty.

Pat Vegas
09-08-2017, 02:26 PM
unrelated. But why do people say it's illegal to serve 'Snakebite' in pubs

it isn't illegal.

World's End Stella
09-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Surely any curious young man has at least experimented with a wee bit of brown? :shrug:

The poppy is a marvellous flower, wes. One should not sneer at its bounty.

Really? I'm interested.

Injection or the dragon and what did you think of it?

Burney
09-08-2017, 02:37 PM
Really? I'm interested.

Injection or the dragon and what did you think of it?

I chased it a time or two. Never really had the desire to mainline. Even chasing it was enough to let you know that this was too enjoyable a thing to indulge, though.